TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

13 minutes ago, blackfirewarrior said:

Has anyone hatched any purple or gold floret eggs from the cave or bred after the 21st? I'm theorizing along the lines of winter/summer seasonal availability of versions... 

Purple floret (not mine) bred on release day and currently in a hatchery.

Spoiler

proof.png

And in case you meant "after" release date literally, here is one (also not mine) bred today

Spoiler

Proof2.png.b30027c8e0eab28347b3cdcbfb740db8.png

Edited by Fyrebird
Another picture, and spoiler covers

2 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Purple floret (not mine) bred on release day and currently in a hatchery.

proof.png

They were different egg colors for the different variants. So this should just be a normal one.

4 minutes ago, Cheystar said:

They were different egg colors for the different variants. So this should just be a normal one.

I believe that's what they were asking about... whether the older ones were still available right now.

14 minutes ago, Dohaerys said:

if you sort by breed (by selecting breed in the dropdown menu, not having it by default in the account settings) your eggs and hatchlings will no longer be displayed at the top, and instead will be displayed next to their breed. You can check what color a copper is by doing this and seeing which copper adult/hatchie the egg is below, which is the alt the egg is, if you're having a hard time distinguishing stuff

OMG THANK YOU! I've been playing here since 2008 and had no idea that was an option. That'll make things so much easier. My eyes aren't great so that's probably part of the issue on my side! 

Having done that, new hatchie is a Shiny Penny. Phew! 

Edited by RagaDal

6 minutes ago, Cheystar said:

Well I'm dumb and forgot they were different colors. I blame it on so many things at once.

(I guess it's a good thing they aren't only available half the year?)

This might be stupid, but what if everyone that wanted pink Sapphire eggs bought a few eggs from the market and abandoned them, as some people have done?  Of course, this involves people being nice enough not to grab all they see, and also people to see the message, and want to try it.

I'm going to try a few myself, and I encourage anyone else to do the same.  Edit:  I could only get 2, I am at my limit, but will abandon as soon as I can - or maybe tomorrow as I might be asleep by then.

10 minutes ago, sh20000sh said:

I just tried first Earthquake on whole 8 years of my play. And I killed Cantomaris egg --

I doubt this is helpful now but did you see where someone said it's better to wait at least 24 hours, and till it has a crack for better chance of living?  Maybe you did do that, I don't know.

I wasn't able to even get a Canto, so at least you got to try,

Edited by daba555

30 minutes ago, blackfirewarrior said:

Has anyone hatched any purple or gold floret eggs from the cave or bred after the 21st? I'm theorizing along the lines of winter/summer seasonal availability of versions... 

Yup. Got a gold just now, which imma gift toss to the AP.

Oh dang. Big time ninja'd. Why was I stuck on the previous page? Silly refresh button failed me. 

Edited by Syiren

I'm still sad about the Copper updates.

I love Coppers for so many reasons. The gentleness and familial behavior and kindness of the concept, the beautiful silhouettes of the poses, but also the colors. The way they incorporated hints of each other and some of the broad expanses in the shading, as well as the sharp shadows in spots, really gave them a "metal glinting rainbow in the sun" impression to my eyes.

Of course there's still the lore and beautiful posing, but the new colors lose a lot of what I loved. They read like dragons with normal skin now to me, not ones with reflecting, shining scales. And I very, very much miss the strong hints of the other colors. They still exist, but especially with the change in shading, they feel much more subdued. The sprites read much more monochromatic to me now. The new penny look might have stood out more boldly against the rainbow hues of the previous sprites, but as it is, I can discern very little difference between the new color and the red especially other than a very slightly brighter color overall courtesy of the lack of color mix ins.

I know care and love was put into the change in shading, but I still feel a big part of what I adored about their original shading and colors is gone now, and it makes me sad.

Cursed Flamingos! They nearly fool me every time. More are popping up in the AP, and I feel like they're laughing at us who have trained our eyes to zone in on anything pink.

1 hour ago, blackfirewarrior said:

This golden hatched on the 21st:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/9aKTL

This purple was stolen on the 21st:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/OKvJk

And this is my peachy that was also stolen on the 21st:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/KyaIh

Before anyone suggests that the new Florets have a Pokémon Go-like mechanic where location counts as the variant's name comes from a South American flower, they're all Brazilian and look just like everyone else's...

Edited by Seejey

7 hours ago, Odeen said:

Updated gemmie avatars for all your gemmie avatar needs! Ruby/jade/sapphire are unchanged, I just like rainbows.

njv3wdW.pngpcL2RkA.pngbesgIV6.pngyuuwk8m.png4kc96OX.pngMBTnd04.png
MLnquLB.gif

It's Beautiful I've Looked At This For Five Hours Now | Know Your Meme

this is everything i could ask for thank you for the noodles

I was on the market, because I couldn't find any sapphire on the cave, and saw the new Floret eggs in gold and purple color O.o
Also, does anyone knows if gemshard bought from market are folowing the new color scheme and the right time to get the new colors?

eggs.png

Those are actually the original floret eggs, not the new ones.

As far as the gemshards go, the market ones seem to be following the new color-a-day mechanic just like the caught and bred ones. Which I suppose would also mean if you buy one on Sunday, you get a random color. :B

Edited by Kith

16 minutes ago, Alexiel-sama said:

Oh, thank you.
And the new colors? Which day "gives" which color? Is it known?

If you mean the new Florets, the 62 pages of this thread are mostly about trying to figure it out, but if you mean the Gemshards, they will go like this:

Sunday - random

Monday - green

Tuesday - red

Wednesday - blue

Thursday - purple

Friday - cyan

Saturday - orange

Edited by Seejey

1 hour ago, CaityG said:

Man, we need us a dragon with an egg-eating BSA that lets them consume some of these AP wall eggs once a week or something, not seeing anything today. DX

i like mine scrambled >:)

Updated!

In case it helps any latecomers just popping on here to figure out what to do with all these new mechanics!

Gemshard (Random)

Breed on Sunday

Gemshard (Green, "Jade")

Breed on Monday

Gemshard (Red, "Ruby")

Breed on Tuesday

Gemshard (Blue, "Sapphire")

Breed on Wednesday

Gemshard (Purple, "Amethyst")

Breed on Thursday

Gemshard (Aqua, "Aquamarine")

Breed on Friday

Gemshard (Orange, "Citrine")

Breed on Saturday

Pink Alstro (Peach egg)

Catch: Jungle

Pink Floret (Magenta egg)

?

Purple Alstro (Periwinkle egg)

?

Gold Alstro (Brown egg)

?

Sapphire (Yellow variant)

> 4000 user views

Sapphire (Pink variant)

Abandoned (NOT auto-abandoned)

Royal Eminence (New purple hybrid)

Breed Royal Blue x Royal Crimson

Nilia (Green)

Use Fertility BSA on BOTH parents;

Only one parent needs to be a Nilia;

Abandon turns it back to blue;

Remains green when traded

Cantomaris (White)

Last BSA used was Ward

Cantomaris (Green)

Last BSA used was Earthquake

Electric (Blue)

Use Stun BSA on a hatchling

Copper ("Shiny Penny" variant)

Breed Copper with a dragon whose primary element is Lightning (Astrapi, Bolt, Electric, Storm-Rider, Thunder)

Edited by Kelkelen

1 hour ago, Fiona said:

@Meh,

I do appreciate hearing how you see this. However, as I said before, I kept the palettes used in the original three variants, and I don't want to change that because changing the palettes ruins people's existing lineages. I did end up going a little less blues and greens in the rainbow copper overall, though honestly I tried as hard as I could to get the same feel in the sprites.

Artistic training could indeed be something of a factor. After all, these are my brain children, so I may pick up subtleties before some others. However, I don't have a fancy monitor. I have as much as I could adjusted their display to be as accurate as possible color-wise. Many of you may not know that most computer monitors can be adjusted so that the colors are more true to life. (I have dual monitors - one is better than the other. Neither is expensive.) They're large monitors too, so I'm not handicapped by viewing on a phone screen. Thank God. However, I also have cataracts, so that actually makes seeing small color differences harder.

As I said before, I'm going to take a look at rainbow copper eggs. Maybe make a couple tweaks. Because if I can't tell them apart I guess I can't blame you guys for not being able to either, right? (Actually, I can tell them apart but it's a little tough)

I managed to see the bluish in a crisp zoom in, but the problem is with distinguishing them on site in the normal size and isolation. They just all read as brown vs the 1 notbrown^^;
 My girlfriend just showed me those on her highest end graphic screen, they still look extremelly similar and like the same character, all the differences I see seem to match with this theory: sRGB vs Adobe RGB vs ProPhoto RGB: Color Spaces Explained | PetaPixel my screen must be sRGB if I understand this correctly and is correct for its type, but I bought it for gaming and watching videos, not art, so it shouldn't matter. I'm sure most of DC players aren't artists too, also many have more average screens or lower quality ones. I just believe that for a game it is quite important that an average player with average device and settings can easly tell alts apart :) 

I'm mostly discussing this because it affects the gameplay and it also felt very strange for alts to be hardly any different from one another, and seeming the same when not put side by side. 

I read people were complaining that the reshading reduced the readability of cyan for them, this was their main problem because it did change the appearance of their lineages a lot, so this already happened, it also means it doesn't matter which individual colors are used but how they are distributed, the cyan probably takes less % of the sprite after the reshading? or the context for this color changed in a way that it reads less clear than in the previous? or both? I heard that in art it is most important what an average viewer sees from a neutral distance, I think I relate to this. 
I think the new shading, without colors, is good, problem is in how much alike they read to one another, and this affects gameplay itself, mistakes are more likely. I think that in game assets the playability factor is most important and sometimes certain design ideas may not fit that purpose but would be great everywhere else. I admire your sensitivity to the slighest differences in copper, it's a skill, it's just an average player will have problems in appreciating that in game and will be more focused on not being instantly sure which Copper they are looking at. 

1 hour ago, Tini said:

they're not actually! The blue ones are a lot more blue toned (like thunders) while the normal ones are more just straight black. Both the skin and the highlighting on the skin got a blue facelift.

isn't it daylight versus bulb light kind of difference only, though? But if we take away the bolts and light they shine, both would be exactly the same scales color? I can see that when photographing documents, some are more yellow, some are more blue, but the paper is white both times. This is what I meant here. The same character again, just different light. 

Also, updating this theory's terminology...

New theory -- as the Pink Alstroemeria Floret (peach egg) s1 hatchling doesn't look like the Purple or Gold (original) Floret hatchlings, maybe once the Pink (peach egg) ones mature, when THEY breed with the other Florets is when you get the chance at a "chonky" variant: be it chonky Pink (peach egg), chonky Purple (periwinkle egg), or chonky Gold (brown egg).  Or, you could still have the normal Florets: Purple (purple egg), Gold (gold egg), and now a possible Pink (magenta egg).

Nor sure what to try next!

On 5/22/2021 at 11:33 PM, Spiteful_Crow said:

You. I like you.

I will never be able to think of “Cerulean Blue”, without thinking “gentle breeze” xD 

and really  late, but I can confirm that Sapphire take 4k views to turn yellow *and* that can turn after hatching.

I am seriously loving the new Floret pose! Just gorgeous! And the new pinky-orange colour is fabulous ^^

Sunday - random

Monday - green

Tuesday - red

Wednesday - blue

Thursday - purple

Friday - cyan

Saturday - orange

Edited 35 minutes ago

So happy!! my gemshard I got from the market hatched to the beautiful blue color!! ❤️love !! now to wait & see what the others hatch into..soo pretty!!:nyan: I really thought it would be red..being tues lol!! cos I was sure it would hatch red..glad it didn't 😊:wub:

Edited by rachii.xo

2 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Quoting you because I had not previously seen people label the colors as rose and violet before, which is perfect for florets. Now all we need is a flower name for the gold/bronze ones and we can have nice, flower-based color names for these (just like we tried to get gem names for the gemshards). The problem with flowers is that so many of them have such a range of colors that the flower name is not synonymous with a color like rose and violet. Usually anything bronze/gold/brown is just a specific hybrid. Honestly, the best single word I can come up with that covers both gold and bronze is "tawny" - which is not a color name.

If you search Google for "gold and bronze flowers" you'll get a zillion hits for coreopsis, also known as tickseed. Think I'll pass on that.

Marigold, primrose and sunflower are color names that are gold but are rather bright yellows, which our dragon is not.

I thought sorrel might work because it's a brownish color... but the color name comes from horse colors. The sorrel flower is red.

And OMG I just saw a beautiful bronze variety of snapdragons that I seriously want in my garden, but that's no help for this topic.

Anyone? Or should we stick with rose, violet, and gold/bronze?

Gorse/furze? Wild and prickly and pretty autumnal in its shades of yellow/gold/brown...