TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

27 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Got a Gemshard egg - Bred at the top of the hour!  Sorts above Green Gemshards... So it will be Green? *shrug*

I dunno, I think all the gemshard eggs have been sorting at the top since yesterday.

Looking at some collected data, it seems gemshards are by day, with 16th/Sundays being the chaos day (spotted: red, blue, green and orange), 17th/Monday being green, 18th/tuesday being red, and 19th/wednesday being blue.

Do we know the gem dragon coloration mechanics yet? Does the new mechanics apply to bred dragons too? How do the original color chances factor in?

Like it said the new type is time based. Suppose breeding now according to whatever time-chart we use gives the purple color, does that mean the egg could hatch into any of purple, blue, red, and green? Then maybe tomorrow is cyan time and eggs bred then will hatch into any of cyan, blue, red, green?

1 minute ago, Shadowdrake said:

Looking at some collected data, it seems gemshards are by day, with 16th/Sundays being the chaos day (spotted: red, blue, green and orange), 17th/Monday being green, 18th/tuesday being red, and 19th/wednesday being blue.

Wait, so now all gemshards eggs laid on the same week day will hatch into the same color? That'd make breeding plans a lot easier for sure but is it confirmed?

Edited by Moriaty

38 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

So far the stunned and unstunned S1 look the same to me, and so does TJ's on the front page? None of his are blue. So, I wanna check. 

its a very subtle change. None of his are currently blue.

Love to see the other colors of sapphires getting some love. Not seeing any yellow eggs but several hatchies and some adults?

Edited by Dinala1641882

2 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

Wait, so now all gemshards eggs laid on the same week day will hatch into the same color? That'd make breeding plans a lot easier for sure but is it confirmed?

Well, we have a bunch of data points (aka gemshards that hatched on the 21st) that're consistent with the system I wrote. Dunno if you'd call that confirmed? There haven't been any of the new colors aside from one born on the 16th, which makes sense if the new colors only appear from eggs grabbed on Thursday-Sunday.

8 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

I dunno, I think all the gemshard eggs have been sorting at the top since yesterday.

Do we have those dates confirmed? I know one person said there egg was blue on Wednesday (5/19). :ph34r:'d!

I missed that previous post. @Shadowdrake; Can I see those data points? 

Also:

Go here for the Master post of all the known mechanics and other stuff about the dragons.

As well as my spreadsheet (The DC Birthday 2021 Variant/Alt/Hybrid Tracking & Mechanism List)! Please help figure out the other mechanics!

Edited by Shokomon
got ninja'd - fixed link

TJ has not stunned his at all, I'm starting to wonder if he will get to it before they adult. Its hard to tell on the s1s but you'd know the s2 was different if you saw it.

Yeah there were a ton of yellow sapphires in hatcheries last night, and some of them have grown. Pinks are harder, there's only a few hatchies floating around cause only a few hit the ap.

Gems wouldn't be retroactive. Do you mean an egg that hatched on the 19th? Or was created? Shad was speaking in terms of creation but hatched within the last day.

Edited by Tini

1 minute ago, Tini said:

TJ has not stunned his at all, I'm starting to wonder if he will get to it before they adult. Its hard to tell on the s1s but you'd know the s2 was different if you saw it.

Yeah there were a toni of yellow sapphires in hatcheries last night, and some of them have grown. Pinks are harder, there's only a few hatchies floating around cause only a few hit the ap.

Gems wouldn't be retroactive. Do you mean an egg that hatched on the 19th? Or was created? Shad was speaking in terms of creation and hatched within the last day.

True, it could be Hatch day, rather than Bred/Catch day. 

Ugh.

No no its *not* hatch day is the current working theory, because things hatched on the 21st were all kinds of colors. But the date of creation was consistent to colors except for sunday. If anyone was stalking some lowtime gemshards we'd know for sure which way it is. (If one color only, yesterday was chaos, today is whatever color. If all colors, its creation day, with sunday chaos)

To clarify: gemshard eggs hatching on the 21st have been all sorts of colors. However, the day they're bred has been consistent with the color that pops out. I'm not sure how much data you want it to be confirmed? We're all just observing and noting down numbers idk how concrete that can be. There's been a ton of reds that were created on day 18 I guess?

Edited by Shadowdrake

4 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I'm not sure how much data you want it to be confirmed?

Oh for me personally I'd say 30 points of one color and 0 of other color would be enough to persuade me. Was slightly dubious thinking coincidence/luck (like that one time a bunch of people are trying to breed mate for someone's christmas dragon but every one of them (at least ten) turned out one of the other two colors), but if an obvious pattern is forming I'd be convinced

I just fished out a sapphire from my zombie fodders! I'm surprised, I really should start checking lineages of my AP zombie fodders this one is surprisingly a third gen altkin. I'm wondering if I can turn this hatchi pink? But even if I have friends who can help that's still so risky...

Holy sht I fished up a 2G prizekin that was also in my zombie hatchi fodder

Edited by Moriaty

6 minutes ago, Tini said:

No no its *not* hatch day is the current working theory, because things hatched on the 21st were all kinds of colors. But the date of creation was consistent to colors except for sunday. If anyone was stalking some lowtime gemshards we'd know for sure which way it is. (If one color only, yesterday was chaos, today is whatever color. If all colors, its creation day, with sunday chaos)

5 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

To clarify: gemshard eggs hatching on the 21st have been all sorts of colors. However, the day they're bred has been consistent with the color that pops out. I'm not sure how much data you want it to be confirmed? We're all just observing and noting down numbers idk how concrete that can be. There's been a ton of reds that were created on day 18 I guess?

There is a reason I made the spreadsheet. So we could have it notated somewhere. If you could put your own eggs, that would be great. Or have people volunteer their eggs to add to the spread sheet for proof. 

Oh for me personally I'd say 30 points of one color and 0 of other color would be enough to persuade me. Was slightly dubious thinking coincidence/luck (like that one time a bunch of people are trying to breed mate for someone's christmas dragon but every one of them (at least ten) turned out one of the other two colors), but if an obvious pattern is forming I'd be convinced

Documentation is always good. Spread my spreadsheet around if you can. Maybe we can have it confirmed some how. 

Adding a Code row, so that if we can add eggs we observed and not cause repeats.

I just fished out a sapphire from my zombie fodders! I'm surprised, I really should start checking lineages of my AP zombie fodders this one is surprisingly a third gen altkin. I'm wondering if I can turn this hatchi pink? But even if I have friends who can help that's still so risky...

Yeah. Just gotta risk it for the biscuit. 

Holy sht I fished up a 2G prizekin that was also in my zombie hatchi fodder

Lol nice.

47 minutes ago, Kojayo said:

Any idea what's really going on with my coppers here?

https://dragcave.net/lineage/YUbVs

39 minutes ago, Tini said:

the royal blue is from alpine, coppers can throw eggs according to mate biome.

It's not really a "can".  Coppers have strict breeding rules, cb mother determines offspring color.  In this example the only possible outcome for copper color is red despite having brown father as the mother is from alpine.  If mother doesn't have a biome listed then it reverts to the father's color.   wiki link

That said,  I really wish the coppers didn't get the reshading treatment,  they don't look as good as they used to. :(

Gah is it really just dependent on the mom? I understand why market everything is desirable suddenly. 

Happy Birthday DC! 🍰

This many eggs released all at once is a little overwhelming for me, but all the hatchlings look adorable so far! I'm excited to see what the alts look like when they're all grown up. I'm really loving the new gemshard dragon colors as well as the new hybrid dragon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this egg may have been caught from the AP. It's at 5D 21h now, eggs at the AP are constantly below 5 days at least since yesterday. So maybe there's another way to get a pink one.

P.S. Unless, of course, it's still in the AP and someone have added it to a site to get views..
Screenshot_20210522-105807.thumb.png.b0ea35c78b79142d120582b2f57f0f8c.png

Edited by yieldy

When I saw this event I was like 'the new copper is the only thing I need!" and then I saw the copper update. That was like a punch to the gut. I needed to swich off DC and go to sleep.

The event itself is awesome, I like detective work like this. I think I will just take a break for a few days to cool off. I mean it's just pixels. right?! And there are many other breeds which I love... 

So yeah, thank you for the work and new art, but need time to accept that my favs look like a rough draft right now.

2 hours ago, Shokomon said:

For the new page:

1. Here is my spreadsheet for all the mechanisms for these new alts / variants! The DC Birthday 2021 Variant/Alt/Hybrid Mechanism List. Please help out by adding your attempts to the doc! Especially for the Florets and Gemshards! 
  2. Master post of ALL successful breeding attempts plus funny comments, commentary on sprite changes, and notes from Pixxellation about the Magenta Florets.

Hide contents

I hope this helps!

Ah, thank you. I was already looking for the link :D Soon I got 4 free slots, so I can start experimenting. There's already many things that have been confirmed, so I'll try my hands on the Florets :)

@natli I totally feel you. Didn't hit me as hard, but I agree they went from smooth shiny to rugged somehow 😕

Edited by Magellan

Hoooooooooo this looks like tons of fun time going into collecting all these.

I'm notoriously bad at figuring out mechanics (and usually too late to them anyways) so I'll just bide my time; it'll be fun to have some more goals again than just "catch that one ultra rare breed" :D

I might be an outlier here but having reached scroll goals years ago also means that it can sometimes be boring, trying to figure out what to do and what to catch/raise if there's no breeding project currently standing out to me that I want to try.

Remember, everyone started with zero dragons once! When I started playing in 2011 (that was ten years ago wow) there was already tons of breeds I though I'd never get and now I have an army of more than 3000 lol.

Edited by Gluria

45 minutes ago, natli said:

When I saw this event I was like 'the new copper is the only thing I need!" and then I saw the copper update. That was like a punch to the gut. I needed to swich off DC and go to sleep.

The event itself is awesome, I like detective work like this. I think I will just take a break for a few days to cool off. I mean it's just pixels. right?! And there are many other breeds which I love... 

So yeah, thank you for the work and new art, but need time to accept that my favs look like a rough draft right now.

You're not alone, I liked the old colors much better too ❤️

Whoa!!  I'm late to the party -- thank you, TJ and spriters!!  I was able to guess the source of that gorgeous purple hybrid right away on the first try, and TWO of my favorite breeds making a GORGEOUS third?  Yes, please!!!

Feeling a little overwhelmed by all these options!  I'm still lacking most variants of Cantomaris as it is, because I like to catch, not use the shop.  But that means I'll have plenty to keep me busy all summer, right?  Just sorry I missed the initial Jungle flood! 

Ooh... why did the Coppers change?  They look so pixellated and overly bright/saturated, now.  😕  Not like smooth, shiny, subtle metal anymore.  (Very bummed about Magi for the same reason.)

I love the logic of running an electric current through copper, though!

More gorgeous Florets, Sapphires, and Gemshards can only be a good thing.  I'm curious about the new mechanics -- usually I would dive right in and experiment, but at the moment, I'm a bit stunned -- and trying to grab/breed other new eggs!  How to prioritize, how to prioritize...?  If we already have rubies, emeralds, and sapphires, does that mean now we have topaz, amethyst, and aquamarine?  ❤️

Overall, this is a PARTY on Dragon Cave.  Thanks again!  Now, to go haunt the jungle...  * rubs hands together *

...hmm... thoughts on these new Florets: it looks like they're going to keep the same 3 color schemes of purple, gold, and the new pink, but something (a hybrid breeding?  A BSA?) will result in a new look.  Original eggs will be purple, gold, pink, and their alt variant eggs will be periwinkle, brown, peach, to allow us to tell them apart.  So far, from the hatchling sprites, the alts look sturdier than the originals, but I'm not sure if that's significant.  Could they be based on the idea of "pumping up" flowers somehow, via dragons affiliated with sunlight, water, verdant growth?  (I.e. Sunsong, Water, Vine?)  Or just a cross with a slightly blockier, more muscular breed -- but which? Or, will the adult sprite reveal a clue, and/or disprove the idea of the thicker form?  Mysterious, indeed!

Edited by Kelkelen

Decided to start off easy with the Royal hybrid (it's going to be called Royal Purple amirite), camp a little in the Jungle and maybe breed one or two Niliae today :D

Been a looong while since I've last commented on these forums, but I figured that since we're trying to figure out how things are supposed to work, I should throw what just happened to me in here.

I don't know if this is intended or if someone has pointed this out already (too many pages to check haha), but I was breeding some of the new eggs/variants to the AP and I used Fertility on two of my Nilias, bred them together, the egg was auto-abandoned and it came out looking like a normal egg instead of the alt:

image.png.f90da4dd4215c7ae4fd95df5520a9e02.png

Kinda sad about it, the point was to send some of the new lovelies to the AP for others to pick them up 😧  Has this happened to anyone else?

Didn't check the last pages, so I don't know if it was already posted somewhere.

Saw a new yellow Sapphiere adult in one of the hatcheries but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it here as it's not mine. So here's a screenshot of the adult for those interested:

Spoiler

grafik.png.0ed2ea4ab7b3df15d1a6bc5190a46132.png

I think I'm just going to get what I can when I can, leaving what I think (hope) to be the easiest till last. No idea when I'll do earthquake, just seems so wrong of the cave to make us risk our eggs if we want that dragon, which we obviously do.  No choice.  I'm also in the 'don't like interacting features' camp. We could come and play as we pleased, interact and make friends if we pleased, if not chill and go our own way. Not a good move, imho.