TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

2 hours ago, Fiona said:

Well now, that would be super interesting! Thanks for the idea. :D  *grabs sketchbook*

Why?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

lol

1 hour ago, Seejey said:

What if the new Florets were season dependant? We are in the second season (of the northern hemisphere) in the year, the variant available was the second and Pixxelation said that, at least the dark pink ones, should not be obtainable for now, right?

Gah. It'd be the Seasonals and Lunar Heralds all over again! I wasn't there for the Seasonal release, and I'm glad I wasn't!

36 minutes ago, Diame said:

This isn't fun. It's completely overwhelming. How do I get the coppers? I've been trying to breed for the florets and it just refuses to produce the right colors. Does anyone have a guide?

Check below! 

Also, try a Thunder.

35 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

The current estimate for gemshards is:

Sunday: Chaos
Monday: Green
Tuesday: Red
Wednesday: Blue
Thursday: Purple

Friday: Cerulean/Orange

Saturday: Cerulean/Orange

Based on the day it was bred or caught. We've found multiple dragons that confirm this theory, and so far none that disprove it. 

Post some more eggs into my spreadsheet so we documentation.

I'll note it for confirmation though.

21 minutes ago, Spyridon said:

Do you think this would apply to past gemshards as well or only since the new updates?

I think someone said it worked retroacticely for any current eggs. My adults and frozens stayed the same. Check my master post. Edit: Looks like I didn't add. Probably didn't think it was confirmed at the time. Also, :ph34r:'d!

Speaking of:

11 hours ago, Shokomon said:

{Snip}

Also:

Go here for the Master post of all the known mechanics and other stuff about the dragons.

As well as my spreadsheet (The DC Birthday 2021 Variant/Alt/Hybrid Tracking & Mechanism List)! Please help figure out the other mechanics!

The spreadsheet and masterpost!

Edited by Shokomon

Happy Birthday Dragcave!

And on the side note... if anyone has a spare peach floret.. I am willing to breed anything from my scroll for it..

I accidentaly added mine to view site and 3/4 died... 😥

HOLY! I almost missed this!
Finally the Gemshards are getting more colours. Aaaaaaaaah ;A;

This is so lovely!!

I for one am having loads of fun, and I'm glad of something new in the game to keep me busy :)

Also, Mod hat on - remember that spriters are humans, and that hurtful comments about sprites are just that - hurtful. Keep that in mind when commenting on changes, good or bad, and be kind. 

41 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

The current estimate for gemshards is:

Sunday: Chaos
Monday: Green
Tuesday: Red
Wednesday: Blue
Thursday: Purple

Friday: Cerulean/Orange

Saturday: Cerulean/Orange

Based on the day it was bred or caught. We've found multiple dragons that confirm this theory, and so far none that disprove it. 

Do we know if this works with market eggs too?

First of all, happy birthday, DC!  Over the past six years, I have enjoyed watching the graphics chops of the spriters grow, and the sophistication of the sprites increase.

That being said, I feel the need to add my voice to those crying, "Hold, enough!"  I'm one of the folks who are just here to collect the pretty dragons as a relaxing hobby.  Also, unlike those of you who have spent the last year and change working or learning from home, I have been commuting and working in an office through the entire pandemic.  When I get home, the last thing my exhausted self needs is more hoops to jump through to collect the pretty dragons.  If I want more hoop-jumps, I'll work overtime.

When I saw the birthday link in the Cave, I figured there would be a few new eggs, or maybe a theme set like the Hogwarts or Power Rangers ones.  What greeted my eyes made me want to cry, or just go away.  Do I want to see the new pretty dragons?  Yes, but there are limits to what I'm prepared to do for what are, after all, pixels on a screen.  Will I keep poking at parts of this release?  Probably, because they're there, and at some point I'll need something to do.  Will I enjoy it?  Not nearly as much as I would grabbing a few entirely new eggs and seeing what they produce.

As a woman who will be turning 65 next month, I realize I'm not DC's normal demographic, but I do hope that my voice matters, too.  Thanks to DC staff for your good work, and to the DC Detectives for helping to make some of my collecting possible.

1 hour ago, Gremlins_Hotel said:

Well, I’ve got 3 CB pairs of the Peach Florets

OMG thanks for the reminder! Was so worried about everything else I forgot to influence them! BRB.

So blue sapphire hatchlings can turn yellow, but what about pink?  When you get a pink--do you have to worry about it turning yellow?

Also--any word on which of the 15 make the breed counter go up?

Also--I saw pink sapphire trade offers--did they stay pink after they were traded?

Edited by random_dragon_collector

2 hours ago, Gremlins_Hotel said:

Not feeling spiffy with the willful Abandon mechanic for getting Pink Sapphires. Like some others in the thread have said, it might be nice if another method of obtaining them was letting them sit until 4d/3d 23hr without views or fogged (time based).

I mean... has anyone actually tried that? Without incu? Just letting it sit until the limit for it to safely still grow up if need be seems like a good idea to test.

2 hours ago, Seejey said:

What if the new Florets were season dependant? We are in the second season (of the northern hemisphere) in the year, the variant available was the second and Pixxelation said that, at least the dark pink ones, should not be obtainable for now, right?

My theory is, that the variant that is currently unobtainable, is produced wit the new Peachies x ??? and since at that moment noone had grown up NR Peachies, the new color shouldn't have been possible :)

Edit: Regarding the Florets I'm not sure if the require crossing with another dragon with a fitting color or with another Floret with the fitting color

Edited by Magellan

17 minutes ago, Magellan said:

I mean... has anyone actually tried that? Without incu? Just letting it sit until the limit for it to safely still grow up if need be seems like a good idea to test.

Yes, someone had an er sapphire they let get down to a day before hatching. It stayed blue. We've seen sapphires obtained before the drop started could change, so that one should have.

Edited by DragonLady86

28 minutes ago, JudithC said:

When I saw the birthday link in the Cave, I figured there would be a few new eggs, or maybe a theme set like the Hogwarts or Power Rangers ones.  What greeted my eyes made me want to cry, or just go away.  Do I want to see the new pretty dragons?  Yes, but there are limits to what I'm prepared to do for what are, after all, pixels on a screen.  Will I keep poking at parts of this release?  Probably, because they're there, and at some point I'll need something to do.  Will I enjoy it?  Not nearly as much as I would grabbing a few entirely new eggs and seeing what they produce.

This is exactly what I came here to post.  I was completely looking forward to getting some beautiful new eggs, maybe a new innovation or two.  I also expected to be a bit frustrated by not being able to compete to grab my fill of new eggs and that I would have to try again the following day. It would have been OK because I'm used to that. At least I would have something to look forward to.  Instead I found an incomprehensible puzzle and a just a few new Floret eggs. I've since learned to breed the Royals together to get something else and also how to get a new color of Nilla.  I'm very disappointed this year.  The page count for this thread is up to 32 already, so goodness only knows how much more reading it will take before all the answers are revealed. 

Frankly, I'm sure this was great fun for the creators and artists to put together, and will also be fun for a certain group of members who like to tackle problems and post their way through them.  But I'm also sure that there are ever so many members who miss the traditional birthday flood of eggs and who are, like myself, waiting for the answers to be posted in another thread, or pinned at the top of this one as they evolve.

51 minutes ago, JudithC said:

As a woman who will be turning 65 next month, I realize I'm not DC's normal demographic, but I do hope that my voice matters, too.  Thanks to DC staff for your good work, and to the DC Detectives for helping to make some of my collecting possible.

Don't worry, JudithC, your demographic is not that unusual here on DC.  I, myself, am 76, and know there are many other participants in our age range.  I'm glad to see that you are posting and hope to see more of you on the forum. :D

55 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

So blue sapphire hatchlings can turn yellow, but what about pink?  When you get a pink--do you have to worry about it turning yellow?

Well, thanks for THAT nightmare. Hope it's settled (hopefully in the negative) before I get a pink one.

The good news (for those NOT trying to get a yellow right now) is that I'm not seeing nearly the view counts that I was yesterday. I think people will have to be deliberately trying to get a yellow, unless they're unlucky enough to hit a new release day.

55 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Also--I saw pink sapphire trade offers--did they stay pink after they were traded?

The only one I've seen hasn't actually traded yet. I'm watching it to see what happens... Of course, that depends on the scroll it goes to being visible. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Fyrebird
spacing of combined post

1 hour ago, JudithC said:

That being said, I feel the need to add my voice to those crying, "Hold, enough!"  I'm one of the folks who are just here to collect the pretty dragons as a relaxing hobby.  Also, unlike those of you who have spent the last year and change working or learning from home, I have been commuting and working in an office through the entire pandemic.  When I get home, the last thing my exhausted self needs is more hoops to jump through to collect the pretty dragons.  If I want more hoop-jumps, I'll work overtime.

I'm here to add my voice to this.  This many new mechanics are too too much.  I have been working full time at a very stressful job, and the last thing I need is something I do to relax and feed my collecting impulses become another job.  I've been in DC for 13 years now, and another one who's far outside the teenager/young adult demo.  Puzzles are great, but where there are so many that it feels like work instead of a good challenge, it's hard to want to stay around and see what the 16th birthday looks like.

1 hour ago, Spyridon said:

Do you think this would apply to past gemshards as well or only since the new updates?

Fortunately not. See my Gemshard group - all still nicely what they were, colourwise:  https://dragcave.net/group/63334

8 hours ago, snowcat11 said:

Update on my yellow sapphire hatchling from yesterday, she's grown up!

https://dragcave.net/view/XpZHG

Whoah! That's beautiful (although the blue name is a little misleading. The dragons are mutating I guess? inbreeding depression? Because of all the eggs we are stealing and killing? #YesImABiologist)

First of all, happy birthday, DC!  Over the past six years, I have enjoyed watching the graphics chops of the spriters grow, and the sophistication of the sprites increase.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 58, and I know other people in my age range who still play. I'm fine with all of these except for the pink Sapphires and the need-to-EQ-your-eggs-to-get-one Cantos. As long as they're not insanely hard to obtain, I figure I'll get all of these eventually. I don't have time to stalk the AP for days on end, and don't want to jeopardize the eggs I have for the Cantos (although I figured I'd try those first before trying any other eggs just to protect anything later). I have to take care of an 86 year old mom by myself, so I don't have time to be on here all the time trying to experiment. There's "challenge" and there's "too much at once for me to deal with".  

26 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

Frankly, I'm sure this was great fun for the creators and artists to put together, and will also be fun for a certain group of members who like to tackle problems and post their way through them.  But I'm also sure that there are ever so many members who miss the traditional birthday flood of eggs and who are, like myself, waiting for the answers to be posted in another thread, or pinned at the top of this one as they evolve.

Honestly I feel like this might have been better as a regular-monthly release? I definitely think 15 new breeds/variants at once is just too much to begin with, but I also feel like DC birthdays are especially looked forward to and usually really fun with lots of new drops, and maybe if this had been done some other month it wouldn't have made The DC Birthday feel so overwhelming and stressful. The birthday event is only once a year and I know many look forward to it, while I 'get' the reasoning behind all these variants being a Birthday Thing I also feel like it's just too much and too complicated for a nice happy birthday event. .... If any of that makes any sense, my brain is a little mushy right now. 

I have seen and missed three Electrics in the AP in the last 15 minutes or so, ugh. I haven't seen a single Gemshard in the AP since a few hours after the release started, and I haven't seen any pink Sapphires at all. But apparently people have been getting them, so I guess I just need to be more focused, lol. Stop wandering off to other tabs in between refreshing.

What if to get a pink sapphire, with out abandoning it, it has to be the only egg on your scroll? Along with low view count.

Edited by Dinala1641882

10 minutes ago, Dinala1641882 said:

What if to get a pink sapphire, with out abandoning it, it has to be the only egg on your scroll? Along with low view count.

While this would fit the "lonely" thing, I fear then I would never be able to obtain one of them that way either, being usually egglocked all the time XD 

To be honest, just because it's a relaxing game it doesn't mean it won't have rare/difficult to obtain stuff or complex gimmicks. That said, while I understand the frustration of some, I don't much get why people are complaining so much about the EQ Cantos? If you don't want to do it yourself, you can always trade for some, like it's with Vampires and Neglecteds (though the latter can be hard to trade for). Hopefully there will be some kind souls dropping them in the community board thread too :) I'll try to do that with some nice 2Gs when I can!

And the one you have to abandon/rely on other users to get... wasn't this game always about relying on other people to begin with? I mean, someone has to view those hatcheries and click on those babies, right? And there's the trading mechanic, the multi-clutch/auto-abandon mechanic and so on. The original Canto release had one that required teleport and people worked around that, too. It's a very social game.

That aside, I'm happy for the 15th and kind of glad that most of those new babies are hybrids or variations of current stuff. I can take my time with these and collect some cute Florets. I love the breed a lot ❤️ (Also super happy for Gemshards! Always wanted a purple one for these :3)

Also, quick edit for a question: EQ only affects eggs, right? It doesn't touch hatchies or make them run?

Edited by Arkee

Another EQ question (shows I never used that BSA myself). If you do an Earthquake and an egg survives, does it mean that it would survive a second EQ, too (within 24 hours or so)?

2 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Another EQ question (shows I never used that BSA myself). If you do an Earthquake and an egg survives, does it mean that it would survive a second EQ, too (within 24 hours or so)?

From what I've read, surviving once does NOT make them immune to other earthquakes.

Edited to ask: Why would you want to earthquake them twice though?  All they need to turn green is to survive, they don't actually need to hatch right then and there, though that would/will be a nice bonus.

Edited by Pourlemoment

1 minute ago, Arkee said:

And the one you have to abandon/rely on other users to get... wasn't this game always about relying on other people to begin with? I mean, someone has to view those hatcheries and click on those babies, right? And there's the trading mechanic, the multi-clutch/auto-abandon mechanic and so on. The original Canto release had one that required teleport and people worked around that, too. It's a very social game.

(bolding for emphasis)  But it didn't used to be, that's what we are saying. Sure, we've always needed views/stats, but when DC first began you could get sufficient stats to raise to adulthood simply by including them in your signature on other forums or posting them on social media or whatever. I didn't even realize 'hatcheries' were a thing for quite awhile after I started playing, they weren't as needed back then. And even with hatcheries, it's a very passive thing, toss your dragons in and leave it refreshing in the background while you do other stuff. But the move towards actively needing other player's cooperation for specific variants/breeds is a relatively recent thing. Having specific variants that can only be obtained through another user is a fairly recent thing. Even the trading Hub is 'fairly recent' for us old-timers. DC used to be a very solitary game. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing that DC has become a more social game, but it didn't used to be that way at all and many users preferred the solitary nature of the game back then. 

Okay I picked up a Cantor from the AP, incubated then warded, so it should hatch white right? I'm trying to hatch it fast because it's taking up my only 'free' eggslot, lol!

3 minutes ago, Astreya said:

One earthquake does not effect a second. But you don't need to do twice. As long as the canto survived it will be green if dont use any other BSAs 

11 minutes ago, Arkee said:

It's not actually. Scrolls are not allowed to have any real communication for legal reasons so forcing people to get around that seems wrong honestly.