TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

9 hours ago, Stormfriend said:

Arguably, we always needed each other because of the requirement of views and clicks.

Clicks are not a requirement. Only views. Pop them in a viewing site and let them run. No active interactions are necessary. My phone plan has unlimited data and I keep 4 sites running 24/7. 

While there are many wonderful people on the site, I play easier when I don't need to rely on others. I still have only 2 of the 8 Itus Cantos I need for scroll goals, and will proceed at my pace with the new releases.

After my warded Cantos grow and I finish catching Florets, (still don't have cbs of the original Purple and only one Gold) I plan to breed some Royal Purples, then continue down the list from there. <3

Not sure what I will do about the Earthquake Cantos. Probably need to trade for them. I really am uncomfortable about risking eggs that way.

34 minutes ago, dancingalicorns said:

@Shokomon 

Greetings! I noticed your call for data and would like to contribute. :)

I wasn't sure if you wanted us to directly input our results, and I have a few questions as well.

I bred a male CB Gold Floret with a female CB Gold Floret and managed to get a Gold Floret egg from them. I didn't use fertility (I don't have many Purple dragons, hehe). I would only know if this dragon is an alt when it hatches, correct? There's no change to the egg?

Also, would this breeding be appropriate to add to your handy spreadsheet? I'd love to help though I'm not entirely sure how, haha.

Thank you for your time and efforts! :D

Thanks for the help!

The egg will change! There are 3 undiscovered Florets, and they all have new eggs!

The eggs that don't change are the Cantomaris and the Electrics, but we know those already.

Edit: And yes you can post it! So we know what doesn't work.

8 hours ago, Shokomon said:

{Snip}

Also:

Go here for the Master post of all the known mechanics and other stuff about the dragons.

As well as my spreadsheet (The DC Birthday 2021 Variant/Alt/Hybrid Tracking & Mechanism List)! Please help figure out the other mechanics!

The spreadsheet and masterpost!

Edited by Shokomon

45 minutes ago, Sarcastra said:

Trying to breed the right dragons during a full moon under cloudy conditions at precisely 2:47AM on the third Tuesday of an odd-numbered month...

Well now, that would be super interesting! Thanks for the idea. :D  *grabs sketchbook*

58 minutes ago, dancingalicorns said:

I bred a male CB Gold Floret with a female CB Gold Floret and managed to get a Gold Floret egg from them. I didn't use fertility (I don't have many Purple dragons, hehe). I would only know if this dragon is an alt when it hatches, correct? There's no change to the egg?

New floret eggs are a different color. You would know as soon as you finished breeding whether it was a new one. Sounds like yours is not.

33 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Thanks for the help!

The egg will change! There are 3 undiscovered Florets, and they all have new eggs!

The eggs that don't change are the Cantomaris and the Electrics, but we know those already.

Thanks for this!

I bred a few Florets from dergs (no new ones, obvs.) But here's a summary of my fails:

Gold Florets - PB Gold Florets (x2)

Purple Florets - PB Purple Florets (x3)

Purple Floret - Purple Floret x Arcana

Purple Floret - Purple Floret x Grave

Purple Floret - Purple Floret x Vine/Dark Green

Gold Floret - Purple Floret x Rosebud

Purple Floret  - Purple Floret x Bolt

Gold Floret - Purple Ridgewing x G. Floret

Purple Floret - Purple Floret x Pink

I've popped these on the spreadsheet.

I still think the new chonky Florets will come from the peachy-coloured ones if its true that we can't get them right now. :)

Edited by Lovecats

Got one of the first peach floret hatchies, so I named it Peach Floret. Haha 😎

Unfortunately the earthquake killed the other 2 of my 3 peach floret eggs... 

Did somebody try breeding Purple Floret to a Gold one? Just checking.... 

(it could give the Brown variant, and then you would get the others by breeding with the Peach....)

6 minutes ago, natli said:

Did somebody try breeding Purple Floret to a Gold one? Just checking...

Yes, I did, and got lots of Golds and 1 purple. No new ones 😔

Gotta admit, I don't much like how one of the alts is gotten by choosing to abandon it... Seems like it'd be nearly impossible for most to grab it from the Abandoned page.

Edited by Queenofdragons6

58 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the spreadsheet - btw, it's Nilia not Nilla ^^

55 minutes ago, Fiona said:

Well now, that would be super interesting! Thanks for the idea. :D  *grabs sketchbook*

And I used to LIKE you.... :(

2 minutes ago, caya said:

Thanks for the spreadsheet - btw, it's Nilia not Nilla ^^

Whoops. Ill go fix that.

Well, I’ve got 3 CB pairs of the Peach Florets and 1 pair of the new Royal Blue x Royal Crimson hybrid! I’m a little too burnt to try and look into getting some of the others. But Florets are one of my favorite breeds on DC so I’m fully down to help test variant-breeding possibilities once I’m not egglocked! I’ve got a nice collection ready for testing haha

I’m also excited for the Electric variant! My very first dragon was an Electric dragon! I’ll need to hunt some more of these babies, who look absolutely gorgeous after their sprite update.

Not feeling spiffy with the willful Abandon mechanic for getting Pink Sapphires. Like some others in the thread have said, it might be nice if another method of obtaining them was letting them sit until 4d/3d 23hr without views or fogged (time based).

I’m interested to see how the clock for Gemshards ends up working. From my first day on DC to now, a Gemshard was my first rare dragon to get, so it makes me happy to see them getting a fresh update!

Once I’m not egglocked I’m going to attempt breeding my handful of Coppers to see how that goes. I will probably refrain from the Cantors, as they are already hard enough to obtain (IMO) without these new variants. I don’t like the thought of having to use EQ to obtain one of the new variants, but I’m also not big into risk factors, hence why I don’t have many things like Zombies or Vamps. Nilias I don’t own many of, but will be eager to collect the new Fertility variant!

Overall a very mixed reaction to this birthday, but I’m going to try and stay otherwise positive as I will be obsessed with the new Florets & Gemshards for a good heckin’ while!

What if the new Florets were season dependant? We are in the second season (of the northern hemisphere) in the year, the variant available was the second and Pixxelation said that, at least the dark pink ones, should not be obtainable for now, right?

Edited by Seejey

Wow so many new sprites! I hope somebody makes a chart with how to get each version once the adults come out because I'm having a hard time keeping track of everything at this point, and frankly I am having a hard time telling the new copper+electric apart from the old versions. It'll probably be easier once we see the adults though.

Since it was DC's birthday, I spent yesterday evening looking through a lot of my old dragons, reading release histories, remembering how the game used to be and contemplating how it's changed in the years since I joined.  Honestly, it really made me realize now much I'm just not having fun here anymore.

The new releases, if it's anything more than 2 or 3 commons, are more frustrating than exciting.  I'm a pretty good catcher but I rarely catch everything I want, and in a lot of cases the dragon becomes near-impossible to find in the Cave for months (or years) after the flood.  The mysteries around new releases drive me absolutely nuts - if it wasn't for the DC Detectives figuring all this stuff out, I'd just never know.  I don't feel like I can get attached to breeds now.  It's become quite clear that at any time any breed can: change sprites, start throwing alts, start showing up in new colors, or develop wacky mechanics where the sprite changes based on BSA used, number of views received, or actions taken with the egg.  

There are so many breeds, hybrids and alts now that it's no longer feasible to try for a CB or nicely lineaged pair of everything that drops in the Cave or can be bred.  Even changing the way I played the game by completely eliminating scroll goals for myself didn't entirely alleviate the frustration I feel around releases, and it certainly doesn't remove the possibility that my favorite dragons will turn into something so complicated I don't want to deal with it at some arbitrary point in the future.  

Really, as others have expressed, it's kind of sad.  Some of the changes to the game over the past ten years have been great, but a lot of them have only served to make the game more complex, more difficult, and less fun.

Guess it was too much to hope for that while I was sleeping everything would get figured out, huh? lol  I see the Gemshards may be based on day-of-week by day laid/caught, but it still seems we have no clue about the Florets. I guess at this point it does seem most likely that the new-biome Floret is needed to make the others, possibly by breeding with the original purple/gold Florets. Hmmm.... I guess we won't be able to test that for awhile (unless anyone gets adult biome-Florets sooner because of EQ??).

3 minutes ago, Maiden said:

I don't feel like I can get attached to breeds now.  It's become quite clear that at any time any breed can: change sprites, start throwing alts, start showing up in new colors, or develop wacky mechanics where the sprite changes based on BSA used, number of views received, or actions taken with the egg.  

While I still find DC incredibly fun, I 100% agree here and totally understand. I feel like, long ago, DC was a very straight-forward 'collecting game' where you collect beautiful pixel art and just have fun. Now the art you collected can change at any time, mechanics you've grown used to can change (like even old-gemshard-colors possibly being time-based now), it's becoming nearly impossible for non-forum/discord-users to figure out these complicated mechanics on their own..... DC is definitely a different place than it used to be. For better or worse. 

This isn't fun. It's completely overwhelming. How do I get the coppers? I've been trying to breed for the florets and it just refuses to produce the right colors. Does anyone have a guide?

The current estimate for gemshards is:

Sunday: Chaos
Monday: Green
Tuesday: Red
Wednesday: Blue
Thursday: Purple

Friday: Cerulean/Orange

Saturday: Cerulean/Orange

Based on the day it was bred or caught. We've found multiple dragons that confirm this theory, and so far none that disprove it. 

4 hours ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

This would make it really hard to get any blue ones... 😕

At which point of views did it turn? @snowcat11?

4 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Yes, much to the chagrin of some breeders. Don't know if this behavior will continue after this initial period, but people who are doing lineages with sapphires are indeed worried about it.

The discord folks reported several turning as they reached 4000 views. Also 800 UV has been mentioned as a benchmark.

Just found a yellow Sapphire hatchie on a fansite with this stats if that helps in any way:

grafik.png.2d645bd61ed74b91739e748db6384532.png

edit: found another one with similiar stats, over 4k OV's and 507 UV at 6d 20h

So looks like OV's are the important ones I guess...?

Edited by rinoa26

8 minutes ago, Diame said:

This isn't fun. It's completely overwhelming. How do I get the coppers? I've been trying to breed for the florets and it just refuses to produce the right colors. Does anyone have a guide?

Look up, Shokomon posted a spreadsheet people have been working on just a handful of posts ago, there is a lot of information there. 

13 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

The current estimate for gemshards is:

Sunday: Chaos
Monday: Green
Tuesday: Red
Wednesday: Blue
Thursday: Purple

Friday: Cerulean/Orange

Saturday: Cerulean/Orange

Based on the day it was bred or caught. We've found multiple dragons that confirm this theory, and so far none that disprove it. 

Do you think this would apply to past gemshards as well or only since the new updates?

2 minutes ago, Spyridon said:

Do you think this would apply to past gemshards as well or only since the new updates?

It applies to past gemshards, but only ones hatched past the update, I think.