TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

1 minute ago, Seejey said:

Maybe @Astreya would like to EQ a second batch before the first one hatches?

I mean, that's fine but it's still the same risk to everything on the scroll again. Just because you get lucky and everything survived one, doesn't mean that the second time wont kill them all.

4 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

It's not actually. Scrolls are not allowed to have any real communication for legal reasons so forcing people to get around that seems wrong honestly.

My point being, the trading center exists, so even if you can't have "real" scroll communication, you can still request a trade and seeing as that is the only way to get the Itus and that it's still within in-game mechanics, it doesn't seem wrong. But then again, it's just my two cents and you're free to have your opinion, even if I don't get it or aspects of it.

Just now, Arkee said:

My point being, the trading center exists, so even if you can't have "real" scroll communication, you can still request a trade and seeing as that is the only way to get the Itus and that it's still within in-game mechanics, it doesn't seem wrong. But then again, it's just my two cents and you're free to have your opinion, even if I don't get it or aspects of it.

Trading =/= having to abandon your  offspring and hope someone is nice enough to give it back for a lineage.

11 minutes ago, Seejey said:

Ah!  That makes sense.  I wouldn't risk it personally though.

52 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Fortunately not. See my Gemshard group - all still nicely what they were, colourwise:  https://dragcave.net/group/63334

this is a HUGE relief! as the player @Moriaty mentioned earlier in the thread who kept failing to get the right color gemshard for a holiday lineage, and finally managed it just in time after a bunch of others joined in to help me get the 2g green gemshard i needed (on the 17th attempt), i don't know what i would have done if this had descended into chaos. i was honestly scared to check!

so my absolute favorite thing about dc's birthday this year is that i will be able to do all the gemshard lineages i want in a much more comfortable and happy manner! (thank you, @Odeen !! ❤)

22 minutes ago, Pourlemoment said:

Why would you want to earthquake them twice though?  All they need to turn green is to survive, they don't actually need to hatch right then and there, though that would/will be a nice bonus.

Well, I can be scatterbrained and if I collected one CM and EQ'd that, and maybe some hours later collect a second one and want to EQ that, too, it would have been nice to know one could have done that without risking the first one again. ^^

21 minutes ago, Seejey said:

Exactly that. It's not very often you are able to catch several CMs close together nowadays. 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:22 AM, Mathcat said:

Using Fertility on both nilias can give you the new alt. Haven't tried using Fertility on just one parent yet.

Bummer, my Purple's BSA is broken, when I click on the Nilia it just jumps to another dragon of a different species. 

26 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

I mean, that's fine but it's still the same risk to everything on the scroll again. Just because you get lucky and everything survived one, doesn't mean that the second time wont kill them all.

Well, as I need them as CBs, that means I would like to catch one (before I bred anything) and as I know myself, I'd be so happy and would EQ that as long as there is nothing else on my scroll. Then after my various breedings would result in the currently usual "no egg" / "no interest" / wrong coloured Xeno again and I resigned myself to hunting again and then would stumble over a second CM, then I wouldn't be able to EQ that without risking the  first one. *That* was my reasoning.

23 minutes ago, miaou said:

i don't know what i would have done if this had descended into chaos. i was honestly scared to check!

Wow, that's a real beauty!

But I agree, I would have been livid if these would have been messed up:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/eXmEW

https://dragcave.net/lineage/YweZN

https://dragcave.net/lineage/ZBV0N

Edited by Astreya

Are we really going with "cerulean" for the new turquoise gemshard?

I mean, I know it's too much to hope for zircon/amber/iolite (or turquoise/carnelian/sugilite for opaque gems) when we went with green/red/blue instead of emerald/ruby/sapphire... but since we're tending toward simple why not aqua instead of cerulean?

1 hour ago, Arkee said:

It's a very social game.

Well, no, it really isn't. IT CAN be, but..

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

(bolding for emphasis)  But it didn't used to be, that's what we are saying. Sure, we've always needed views/stats, but when DC first began you could get sufficient stats to raise to adulthood simply by including them in your signature on other forums or posting them on social media or whatever. I didn't even realize 'hatcheries' were a thing for quite awhile after I started playing, they weren't as needed back then. And even with hatcheries, it's a very passive thing, toss your dragons in and leave it refreshing in the background while you do other stuff. But the move towards actively needing other player's cooperation for specific variants/breeds is a relatively recent thing. Having specific variants that can only be obtained through another user is a fairly recent thing. Even the trading Hub is 'fairly recent' for us old-timers. DC used to be a very solitary game. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing that DC has become a more social game, but it didn't used to be that way at all and many users preferred the solitary nature of the game back then. 

Okay I picked up a Cantor from the AP, incubated then warded, so it should hatch white right? I'm trying to hatch it fast because it's taking up my only 'free' eggslot, lol!

I'm very much with HeatherMarie here. I like the "antisocial" side of it - being able to play without having to interact unless I absolutely need to. I can hack all this new stuff except if there really IS an absolute need to abandon to get a pink Sapphire. That will annoy me a lot. Mostly I try to breed my own stuff, and that mechanic will make it almost impossible. I can live with EQ - it's no "worse" than zombie creation or vamps.

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

Scrolls are not allowed to have any real communication for legal reasons so forcing people to get around that seems wrong honestly.

That's a very good point. It does FEEL wrong.

52 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Trading =/= having to abandon your  offspring and hope someone is nice enough to give it back for a lineage.

And I've had common lineages where I renamed the parents to get them back when I'd been stupid enough to auto them - it often doesn't work. And with the AP being (possibly) the only place to get these - I bet it will work even less often now.

I just live in hope of another mechanic showing up.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

On 5/20/2021 at 9:22 PM, Mathcat said:

Using Fertility on both nilias can give you the new alt. Haven't tried using Fertility on just one parent yet.

I bred using one Nilia and one Pumpkin, with Fertility on both, and got the new alt (twice).

10 hours ago, Lagie said:
15 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Looking at some collected data, it seems gemshards are by day, with 16th/Sundays being the chaos day (spotted: red, blue, green and orange), 17th/Monday being green, 18th/tuesday being red, and 19th/wednesday being blue.

@trystan, have you seen this?

thanks Lagie!

and i'm still getting caught up

I don't really post at all, and I wanted to throw in my support for the people who are a bit frustrated.  I feel you.  Ever since the last batch of xenos, I've felt like the game is causing me more stress than I need.  I've been trying to move away from it, although after more than a decade there's just MAJOR FOMO, and I know that's all planned, as well, sadly.

You couldn't tell from my scroll, but this year I've been chronically ill, and often unable to work or go out, I've played this game for hours and hours on end, every five minutes.  And have gone literally days and weeks without getting a single egg I need.  I've never even seen a single strat xeno.  It took all my shards to buy one, and it would be half a year to get another.  It took me days to even get a CB seasonal.  The thoughts of having to try and get these specific eggs for new alts, and THEN there being crazy mechanics, depressed me.  

The abandoned egg in particular, I know I'll never get.  I was lucky enough to win one of the raffle prizes, but I find it a struggle to even get non rare eggs that I want in trade for 2g prizes.  People have incredibly specific things they are looking for, and trading often feels impossible.  

I wish things would calm down a little in the game.  It's already been a hugely stressful year.  

I agree that it's too stressful to get some of these and I'm with those that didn't join the game for it,  but, as I'm new and still having a hard time trying to get my first of so many including those that many of you got in the original mass drop, but that now could be just a legend, I can't help feeling that it helps to level things and to counter the pay-to-win aspect of the advantage of faster connections.

Edited by Seejey

8 hours ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

This would make it really hard to get any blue ones... 😕

At which point of views did it turn? @snowcat11?

Unfortunately it hatched overnight, and I think it turned as soon as the update went out.

I woke up, looked at my scroll, and the only think I could think was that I got an alt undine with a new sprite through some glitch, until I checked the forum 😅

On 5/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, MissK. said:

That is what I will do when I intend to get mine, but it's still a risk for those eggs at least. I could get a bunch of CB cantos, wait a few days, EQ them and end up with nothing to show for it but eggshells. Personally I'm used to my scroll looking like a graveyard because of zombies and ND experiments, but yeah, still seems surprising for a mechanism of regular eggs. 

I love your Bucky avatar btw. 

Oh yeah, its still going to be beyond frustrating xD im actually hoping I don't like the adults enough to want more than a m/f pair. I might just spend the next while breeding Bucky and trying to trade 2g prizes for them (and the sapphires) lmao

I also love your icon :p

20 minutes ago, Alexiel-sama said:

This event sucks! None of the "new" eggs are showing on the cave! I just could get the breeding ones and now just got the Cantomaris and this is frustating. This is supposed to be an easy game, not a stressefull one.

Only one was available in the cave, the orange floret and it flooded form midnight till 4pm est.

16 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Only one was available in the cave, the orange floret and it flooded form midnight till 4pm est.

Actually, at the beginning of the event, ALL the eggs impacted by the changes were dropping in their respective biomes, and I stayed up late getting some, excited I was getting a head start on things.  Turns out, I'm not 100% sure that these eggs aren't... glitched?  As so far my sapphires and cantos do not appear to be following the rules to get the alts.

I also got what appeared to be two different floret eggs right at the start, and now they appear to have changed to the normal one.

I've been playing most of the last two days now, and have yet to get a single egg that has a new alt  :(

Edited by Raziella

1 hour ago, Fyrebird said:

I mean, I know it's too much to hope for zircon/amber/iolite (or turquoise/carnelian/sugilite for opaque gems) when we went with green/red/blue instead of emerald/ruby/sapphire... but since we're tending toward simple why not aqua instead of cerulean?

It is really the most soothing shade of blue. I'm not kidding you. I notice those things. It's a sky blue. Very calming. Very tranquil. I think the word for that particular shade is cerulean, actually. Cerulean blue. Cerulean blue. Cerulean makes me think of a breeze. A gentle breeze.

~~

ooh! I managed to catch a Canto yesterday (after I bought one) that had “42” in the code ^^

And now just waiting for the Sapphire egg I bought to turn yellow, its at 1891/564/9 and still blue …

New releases should appear in the AP very soon. I just clicked a skywing and it was bred on the 20th, so if anyone missed the flood, there are probably going to be some in the AP.

A bit for the info compilation.

Saw this Sapphire in the hatchery. Based on this and what I've read in the thread, it's not UV that matter, it has to be 4000 OV

IMG_20210523_020549.jpg

Dropping a warning - rudeness toward other users or staff isn't acceptable. Constructive discussion and feedback about the new releases is fine - just saying something sucks is not. 

1 hour ago, Fyrebird said:

I'm not well-versed in color terms but I was comparing the new 'blue' gemshard to color samples and it definitely doesn't seem like cerulean is the closest we could get. Cerulean seems a bit deeper/darker than this hatchie, I'd say it's closer to turquoise or maybe aqua. 

I now have a white Cantor hatchie and I'm back in the AP hoping to find a gemshard/sapphire/electric. .... My fingers are starting to cramp from 'ctrl-R'ing so much, lol!

2 hours ago, Arkee said:

To be honest, just because it's a relaxing game it doesn't mean it won't have rare/difficult to obtain stuff or complex gimmicks. That said, while I understand the frustration of some, I don't much get why people are complaining so much about the EQ Cantos? If you don't want to do it yourself, you can always trade for some, like it's with Vampires and Neglecteds (though the latter can be hard to trade for). Hopefully there will be some kind souls dropping them in the community board thread too :) I'll try to do that with some nice 2Gs when I can!

And the one you have to abandon/rely on other users to get... wasn't this game always about relying on other people to begin with? I mean, someone has to view those hatcheries and click on those babies, right? And there's the trading mechanic, the multi-clutch/auto-abandon mechanic and so on. The original Canto release had one that required teleport and people worked around that, too. It's a very social game.

That aside, I'm happy for the 15th and kind of glad that most of those new babies are hybrids or variations of current stuff. I can take my time with these and collect some cute Florets. I love the breed a lot ❤️ (Also super happy for Gemshards! Always wanted a purple one for these :3)

Also, quick edit for a question: EQ only affects eggs, right? It doesn't touch hatchies or make them run?

Except you can't get an EQ'd green Canto through a trade because Teleport is one of the BSA that determines the colour of Canto, and it's the last BSA that was used on it that counts (except for Influence) - so if someone teleported a green Canto to you, the act of teleporting it would turn it into an orange Canto.

Edited by foreverlokied224