angelicdragonpuppy

Add an ADDITIONAL monthly raffle -- with harder entry requirements

This suggestion would not change the current monthly raffle.

Rather, I am suggesting we add a second concurrent raffle, with harder entry requirements.

As for why, well, when the monthly raffle was introduced, I was looking forward to the monthly requirements being interesting things that required a little effort and would encourage mostly burned out players like myself to have something refreshing to focus on. "Oooh collect a dozen Splits! Haven't focused on them in a while, what cute lines can I make?" "Hatch five dragons with less than 300 UVs? Hmm, how can I max clicks to make that easier..." "Raise an Alt?! Off to the lottery to enter the lottery!"

Or, you know, something along those lines. A fresh and zesty challenge that inspires more thought than the current zombie brained requirements. This month's entry requirement is HATCH 6 EGGS. Oooh, so much thought and different gameplay than normal required on my part... blech!

Now, why a separate raffle? Mostly, because I realize a lot of DC's appeal is it's whimsical come as you will play as you want lack of goals, so having a simpler raffle to enter will let the widest range players do so. A second plus would simply be that it increases the amount of Prizes being given out (although if distribution here is based on amount of entries, like the current raffle is to some extent, then sufficiently hard requirements should mean not too many entries / not that many extra Prizes. Sad face for most of us, but can be used to keep the status quo if needed. Alternately the second entry could just add another ticket to the main raffle, but 1) that might not be worth the effort to some if the requirements are tricky and 2) I can see pushback from more casual / time restricted players as it'd cut into their own chances of a win.

Sorry ADP but this seems like you just want a higher chance at winning the raffle. While I see no harm in this per say I also see really no reason to add this in.

Frankly, I think what would be better is if there were more prize dragons given out per raffle or just putting the prize dragons in the market. Hell put them in the cave up there with golds. 

I do get where you're coming from. Players after years of playing and entering the raffle have not one a single prize. But adding on a second raffle just seems to me the most convoluted way to solve that issue.  

Yes, a great idea!

I always have the entry within 24-48 hours, and something challenging would be far more interesting. And I'm already entered in this month's raffle. 

Now, try raising a zero-click dragon in the current Cave. That's far more of a challenge to me.

Would it be an either/or entry with the existing raffle, that is, choosing between entering the easy one or the difficult one. It would be fairer than being able to enter both, as many players just wouldn't accept the harder challenge for a very wide variety of reasons.

Have to agree with CellyBean here. While I've always been frustrated at the raffles for many different reasons, this just seems.... Well, unnecessary. If the goal is more prizes being distributed/won, increase the current winning numbers. If the goal is to give people something more interesting to do, go for 'extra entries' (or just bump up the current way-too-easy and not-very-varied requirements). I see no reason at all to add a totally separate raffle just to cater to those who wish the requirements were harder. If anything, a separate raffle should only happen if we had *separate*, new Prize dragon species (which I don't want and wouldn't support anyways). 

Personally my opinions on things like extra entries and such have changed over time, and I'd totally support being able to add one extra entry per raffle if you achieve the harder requirement. But a separate second raffle is unnecessary. 

6 hours ago, CellyBean said:

Sorry ADP but this seems like you just want a higher chance at winning the raffle. While I see no harm in this per say I also see really no reason to add this in.

Frankly, I think what would be better is if there were more prize dragons given out per raffle or just putting the prize dragons in the market. Hell put them in the cave up there with golds. 

I do get where you're coming from. Players after years of playing and entering the raffle have not one a single prize. But adding on a second raffle just seems to me the most convoluted way to solve that issue.  

I'm sorry too, ADP - but no support either. But an extra requirement for an extra entry - if it wouldn't be too hard on TJ - I can live with that.

6 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

Would it be an either/or entry with the existing raffle, that is, choosing between entering the easy one or the difficult one. It would be fairer than being able to enter both, as many players just wouldn't accept the harder challenge for a very wide variety of reasons.

That option sounds better to me, actually.

(Although I admit that I would always go with the zombiebrain option if the other requirement mentioned anything about "clicks" or "views", really.)

While I don't mind just making it an extra entry into the first raffle, I figured more casual players / players who only focus on highly specific goals would complain about it because it would infringe on their play style. "I don't collect X because of Y reason. Now I have 1/2 the chance of winning the raffle that I did before."

Edit: Granted this applies currently as well, but something like, say, raising 3 Splits that are easily releasable requires a lot less divergence from a typical play style then raising a dozen of them. For me it's worth it, but again, I've seen pushback in other suggestions before for forcing people to have to play in certain ways. And the addition of a second raffle ticket into the standard pool might make people feel they're forced to pursue it or see their odds essentially cut in half.  

@CellyBean @HeatherMarie if the goal was simply more Prizes overall (or boosting my own odds), I'd suggest just adding more prizes, or making harder requirements only (or adding them to the Market... which I still do support as a separate thing, incidentally). While more Prizes overall is a nice potential side effect, the main thought is "give players some interesting challenges without rocking the current boat." As above, I don't personally mind simply adding to the current raffle, but it might leave some unhappy.

Also I won the raffle, so while sure another would be great, I don't have as much of a horse in the win a prize race as I used to. ;) 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think extra ticket would just make frustrated people feel even more frustrated: because the chances are such, I believe, that even with an extra ticket - which you worked for - you still couldn't expect to win in years of throwing that dice.

How about adding the option of entering the existing raffle the 'hard way', without it giving any extra advantage? Or the game could have another page for randomly generated challenges which would still give nothing. Some people would say it's pointless and maybe complain, but maybe that would be okay, still?

Anyway, it probably wouldn't be a priority to add, since the players can make up and do various challenges by themselves.

I don't really want to see more raffles of any kind, much less ones with more difficult entry requirements.

It took me nearly ten years to win just one prize from the raffles we already have. Some people have been entering as long as I have (since the first raffle) and still haven't won any. My opinion on the raffle overall has soured significantly over the years because of this, and I am just less than thrilled about the idea of piling on more frustration and disappointment in the form of a second raffle. I'm not even really thrilled about the idea of extra entries per person; one is the fairest it could possibly be without just automatically entering every player every month.

I'm 100% with Infinis. I won one - eventually - also after about 10 years. But I have hated the whole thing since the day it was invented. I enter religiously - because more CB proles would be nice, not least the chance to get my favourite one - but adding anything to the process (unless more prizes) does not in any way appeal.

I sort of understand where ADP is coming from on this. It does seem that the raffle requirements are awfully easy to achieve. I usually am done by the second or third day. I also understand that TJ is probably making them that way to make it possible for the majority of players to qualify to enter. It would be more fun to have something that actually requires some effort. But even with all of that I can't agree that we need another raffle.

I have been entering every raffle since they began. And I am still without a CB Prize. I have to admit that it stings a lot every time I get that "sorry" message. I never stop hoping that this month will be different! I don't need to be disappointed more often.

I like the idea behind this and didn’t get the vibe it was to get more prizes. I’m a more “veteran” player and just see the raffle as something going on in the background. I never work towards it specifically, it just happens. I do like that aboht the raffle though— a small chance to win in the background. 

I DO wish there was motivation driven from the site (as opposed to forums) to breed/create lineages/do something challenging... I just don’t know if the raffle is the place to do it. 

Maybe there could be more “site wide” events with prizes that follow a raffle theme. Every 5 Red dragons raised gets you an entry, or something. That way you could participate as much or as little as you like. I’m sure that’d be pain to code, though. 

'Tiers' for additional entries might be an interesting idea. Right now the requirements are so easy they feel more like a check to make sure you're active? But you have to click to enter the raffle so...kind of does the same thing. 

I'm not super fond of raffles and how they came about, but I think giving people more chances to get prizes would be better. Add more prizes to the pool, add more 'entries' say up to three, and personally - I'd like to see cb hybrids added back in though I imagine Tj would disagree. 

5 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

While I don't mind just making it an extra entry into the first raffle, I figured more casual players / players who only focus on highly specific goals would complain about it because it would infringe on their play style. "I don't collect X because of Y reason. Now I have 1/2 the chance of winning the raffle that I did before."

This is an interesting viewpoint, because I'd think a separate 2nd raffle would feed into the frustration/complaining even more. A whole separate raffle with a whole pool of prizes that those casual/goal-focused players wouldn't be able to access without changing their playstyle? That seems a lot more controversial than simply adding a possible-second-entry. 

30 minutes ago, EmiKay said:

I DO wish there was motivation driven from the site (as opposed to forums) to breed/create lineages/do something challenging... I just don’t know if the raffle is the place to do it. 

Maybe there could be more “site wide” events with prizes that follow a raffle theme. Every 5 Red dragons raised gets you an entry, or something. That way you could participate as much or as little as you like. I’m sure that’d be pain to code, though. 

Actually this appeals to me a lot more than any Prize-raffle changes. I'd love to see the site have little mini-challenges, just random things that would serve to motivate people or even inspire people to play with breeds they might not otherwise think about. Totally separate from any raffle or Prizes.

While I don't and never really have minded the raffle as it is, I also just... don't really think this is needed. Neutral leaning no support.

I wouldn't mind this as long as it didn't give a second entry, but it's not something I feel too strongly about.

I would definitely appreciate if the raffle challenges were more interesting. As it is, I usually get a notification that I've met the requirement with a couple days without putting in any thought or effort at all. It would be fun if I had to give even a few minutes thought to how to get my entry in.

That said, a lot of frustration with the raffle comes with the odds of winning being so low. So it would be really annoying for people to feel like they had to put in more work for only a slim chance at a reward.

Personally, outside of a holiday event (where you can win one with a custom code like back in the day)  - I don't see any reason to add another raffle.

Additional raffles with harder entry requirements would lead to additional frustration as you lose again and again after meeting the requirements [ex. Raise 3 green nebulas - sure, I can make my odds a 50/50 by influencing the egg male...but I still need to get the eggs, hatch them, and then hope it goes green]

Not to mention how many people would probably end up with unwanted dragons on their scrolls depending on what the objective calls for (yes, you can release them...but that takes time and they take up scroll space as they grow)

While I do feel some new variety in requirements would be nice, I feel they still need to be a broad spectrum that anyone can do easily [ex. "Raise 3 adult two-headed dragons" is much easier and better than "Raise 3 adult Geminae dragons"]

Sorry, but no support to a second raffle.

If we truly aren't going to have a way to get CB Prizes outside of the raffles, then this would at least be slightly better than how it currently is. Support for really anything that would give more opportunities for more entries; this suggestion, another raffle change, whatever it may be. Of course like I said, a way to get CB Prizes not from just raffles is best but... yeah, not sure if we'll ever get a method that isn't too close to pure luck.

Hmm, in terms of making sure people who don’t yet have prizes have a chance, I wonder if there could exist another entry for them, i.e. they enter twice. Or, have some algorithm where the longer you havent won, the higher the chance? Idk how that would work tho.

Seeing the CB prize love spread around is very nice! I do feel bad for people who haven’t won yet :( I would be happy to see them in the market as well, in any case, so I can go for specific ones without feeling guilty (or in most cases click enter by muscle memory and then feel bad), and others can finally get a prize!

It would be cool to have more varied entry requirements. How about a ‘bonus’ entry requirement where you can win a different rare monthly, e.g. gold, stat, silver maybe even unbreedables or maybe, just maybe, 2G thuweds XD 

This one can be more challenging, and it doesnt directly affect the prize raffle. Although, idk how popular this would be. No matter what you implement, not everyone is going to like it. 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

As for why, well, when the monthly raffle was introduced, I was looking forward to the monthly requirements being interesting things that required a little effort and would encourage mostly burned out players like myself to have something refreshing to focus on...

On 3/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Or, you know, something along those lines. A fresh and zesty challenge that inspires more thought than the current zombie brained requirements....

This. I absolutely agree with you.  While I eventually won a prize, like everyone else, I enter every month just as a matter of routine. It isn't really any fun and I don't even look forward to seeing the results either. It's just part of what I do to play the game.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, EmiKay said:

Maybe there could be more “site wide” events with prizes that follow a raffle theme. 

I'd be happy to see this either as part of the Raffle we have (earn more entries in a month) or as the way to participate in a new raffle with new prize dragons, or even as other  little games.  It wouldn't have to be hard, or tricky, but something that you might have to put forth a bit of effort to accomplish. Something to look forward to doing as well as looking forward to seeing the results of it. 

IMHO, the holiday events that take place at DC are so much fun that  I'd love to have some little thing to, sort of, take up the slack during the long dry spell between them.  There would be no comparison, of course, but still, it would be something to do.  :D

Unfortunately I'm going to have to go with a big fat no for this.

I 100% understand the sentiment that some of the requirements for the raffles are absolutely braindead, and I used to wish that they were more involved or somewhat of a challenge. But at this point, I am so jaded with losing the raffle over and over again, having a second raffle that I would also likely lose would only make it worse. I would MUCH rather raffles go in the way of GONE and prizes become available somehow else, instead of adding onto and expanding raffles. DEFINITELY no more new prize dragons. 

Not to mention, a raffle with the standards similar to what you are suggesting would dictate a huge portion of scroll space and time just for the slightest slim chance of an extra entry? At some point it would just be tedious and a chore, and get in the way of projects and whatever else you may have going on. There are plenty of other raffles/games/etc on the forum you can take part in if you are seeking something else to challenge you in DC.  

Edited by schenanigans

It would also massively favour older players, and TJ has always said he wants a level playing field.

I can understand wanting actual gameplay when it comes to a fairly major part of DC. However, the only idea I have that'd work without favoring dedicated players is with a minor rehaul so that you "enter" the raffle at the start of a month by choosing your entry method, and once you complete your chosen requirements it enters you automatically.

Example:

Entry requirements (Select one)

(easy)                             (medium)                                 (hard)

[Raise 3 bred adults]       [Raise 6 adult olives]      [Raise 12 adult lindwyrms]

If someone enters but drops off DC after they complete it, well, that's not much different from entering the easy raffle now and vanishing right after.