Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

I'd like to say that I like name exclusivity too.  While I don't name all my dragons, I do name ones I breed or that are special in some way.  I become very happy on those occasions when I come up with  an appropriate song title, movie title, or some interesting expression, and I enjoy seeing other unique names as well.  I would miss this part of game play if name exclusivity was no more.  

Just my two cents worth...

4 hours ago, aegagrusScholarship said:

That seems like a unnecessary change and definitely (in my case) would put me off naming my dragons, honestly. People want to abolish exclusivity to avoid things like that, so having it automatically added would be... targeting the wrong problem, I guess? Sorry, hopefully that makes sense.

Also, I'm fairly sure some other suggestions here (such as updated /n/ page showing dragons like lineage pages do) require that the order of naming be kept track of too.

Same here. In my case, for example, I really doubt 'latin species names' + 'random suffix i came up with once' counts as creativity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, in case of intentional misspellings or s t r e t c h i n g out words or whathaveyou, uh, I guess that's creative? But it's more 'what loopholes are you able to think of and jump through to get this one name', I guess.

Uh, I'm probably just sounding like a broken record now. Whoops.

Agree with everything here. I definitely would *not* want the site automatically adding anything to the names I choose for my dragons, that would honestly defeat the entire purpose of being able to name dragons what you want. That's basically exactly what we *have* to do now, adding random stuff in if the name is already taken, that's what we want changed. Certainly not changed to just the site automatically doing the same thing. 

(And yes, the 'creative' argument is really tiring. Many people in this very thread have already expressed that name exclusivity does *not* encourage creativity for them, and many of us have given examples of what this so-called 'creativity' really means. It's forced uniqueness, not creativity.)

57 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

I'd like to say that I like name exclusivity too.  While I don't name all my dragons, I do name ones I breed or that are special in some way.  I become very happy on those occasions when I come up with  an appropriate song title, movie title, or some interesting expression, and I enjoy seeing other unique names as well.  I would miss this part of game play if name exclusivity was no more.  

Just my two cents worth...

Can I ask what exactly would change for you if name exclusivity was done away with? You say you enjoy seeing other dragon's names, and enjoy coming up with titles.... Will you actually not enjoy seeing interesting/cute/fun names anymore, if you have the knowledge that somewhere out there might be another dragon with the same name? Will you not enjoy naming your own dragons, even with really nice titles or interesting expressions, just because of a hypothetical other dragon possibly having the same name?

I'm asking these questions because I'm genuinely trying to understand this viewpoint, it just seems strange to me. Nothing is going to change on my scroll if someone else can use a name I have. My dragons will stay exactly the same, and I most likely won't even know if some other dragon has the same name unless I actively go looking. 

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Can I ask what exactly would change for you if name exclusivity was done away with? You say you enjoy seeing other dragon's names, and enjoy coming up with titles.... Will you actually not enjoy seeing interesting/cute/fun names anymore, if you have the knowledge that somewhere out there might be another dragon with the same name? Will you not enjoy naming your own dragons, even with really nice titles or interesting expressions, just because of a hypothetical other dragon possibly having the same name?

I'm asking these questions because I'm genuinely trying to understand this viewpoint, it just seems strange to me. Nothing is going to change on my scroll if someone else can use a name I have. My dragons will stay exactly the same, and I most likely won't even know if some other dragon has the same name unless I actively go looking. 

The feeling of success stems from the limitation itself - it's just satisfying to find that one song title that nobody else has thought to take, or that a particularly nice phrase is still free for you to use. I know I was very happy to nab names like Hedwig, Snow White, Othello, and somewhat more recently Filavandrel and Andrew Marvell; not because nobody else can have them now, but because I came up with them "first" (excluding names that were wiped back when that was a thing). 

Still, as I've already said I support this suggestion anyway, the benefits of removing exclusivity are larger than this sense of accomplishment for me. Just thought this might help you understand another point of view.

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Seeing as I'm a supporter of name exclusivity just cause 'I like it', I'll answer this too.

Seeing a rare name is exciting because you know it's the only one, it's an achievement and impressive and in a game that's pretty much just bragging rights that means a lot. Seeing 'Bob' would be less enjoyable when you know there's 1000 other Bobs. Simple names are so rare that seeing one naturally on a scroll is exciting. Naming my own dragons would be less fun because I know I'm not being clever at finding untaken names. I would have never come up with my naming scheme if not for naming exclusivity, and likely would have just used some random naming generator and had a messy unthemed scroll. I love my dragons being unique in ways other than code - as I'm not really a code collector. I love being able to recognise who owns a dragon by their name alone, or seeing smart surnames. 

But mostly I think getting rid of name exclusivity would just change a lot of the naming culture that I like. I don't get how the creativity thing is 'disproven'? If we had never had name exclusivity then surnames and naming themes would be way less common and I love those. When I think of no name exclusivity I think of FR, but FR has other stuff to make your dragon special. What is there in DC that makes a caveborn dragon special? Code. Date caught(but nobody cares about this). And currently their name. 

My scroll wouldn't change if they got rid of naming exclusivity, but it'd feel a whole lot less valuable to my mind.

47 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

likely would have just used some random naming generator and had a messy unthemed scroll.

Which is what a lot of players do now to have names that are not already taken.

2 hours ago, Murkydepths said:

I don't get how the creativity thing is 'disproven'?

I think the crux of it is that "Name exclusivity encourages creativity / makes people be more creative" can be interpreted as "Name exclusivity makes everyone more creative."

That part is false, which we can prove because we have anecdotes from people who named their dragons in ways they feel were cop-outs, or gave up on naming dragons because of the exclusivity.  So it makes some people more creative, but doesn't make everyone more creative.

So whether "the creativity thing" is disproven depends on exactly what "the creativity thing" is.

9 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Of course I'll still enjoy naming my own dragons, that won't change a bit. It's just that finding something unique among all these many existing dragons is something of a thrill. Once in a while I'll be so pleased that I'll even post about it on this thread.  If you scroll around on it you might come to understand how happy some players become over finding great names.  Now please try to imagine how they might feel if someone just went down the list and copied them off to use for their own dragons. 

9 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

How can you help but see the names of other dragons if you use the AP?  You will, at least, see the names of the parents of any egg you pick up and you will probably look at it's lineage to see if you want to keep it.  If you look at messies, you will be seeing a lot of names just in the course of adding to your collection.

14 hours ago, aegagrusScholarship said:

... In my case, for example, I really doubt 'latin species names' + 'random suffix i came up with once' counts as creativity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, in case of intentional misspellings or s t r e t c h i n g out words or whathaveyou, uh, I guess that's creative? But it's more 'what loopholes are you able to think of and jump through to get this one name', I guess.

I don't care if these things are called creativity or not, I like seeing it.  It shows that the players take the game seriously enough to make the effort. IMHO, it's a lot nicer than seeing some existing name with a number placed at the end.

Just now, Stormcaller said:

Of course I'll still enjoy naming my own dragons, that won't change a bit. It's just that finding something unique among all these many existing dragons is something of a thrill. Once in a while I'll be so pleased that I'll even post about it on this thread.  If you scroll around on it you might come to understand how happy some players become over finding great names.  Now please try to imagine how they might feel if someone just went down the list and copied them off to use for their own dragons. 

I'm with you - I love name exclusivity. I even love seeing the exclusive names other people have. It doesn't make me sad that I didn't get them - though I do regret not getting Fuzzbucket ! BUt fair enough - someone else did. Big deal.

Just now, Stormcaller said:

I don't care if these things are called creativity or not, I like seeing it.  It shows that the players take the game seriously enough to make the effort. IMHO, it's a lot nicer than seeing some existing name with a number placed at the end.

I hadn't thought about that exactly - but yes.

1 hour ago, Stormcaller said:

As someone who’s posted on that thread and is against exclusivity:

On one hand, yes! It’s great I got the name, and I was surprised half the names I snagged weren’t taken. I do also agree there’s a sense of accomplishment with finding stuff that isn’t taken. 

On the other hand, please try to imagine how I feel when I remember that me getting the names means no one else can use them. It might be more pronounced in my case because I got fandom names, but, y’know.

So yeah, there’s a sense of accomplishment and I agree that’d go away without exclusivity, but I’d rather lose the accomplishment than know my naming decisions are making someone else sad because they won’t get to use the name.

16 minutes ago, aegagrusScholarship said:

So yeah, there’s a sense of accomplishment and I agree that’d go away without exclusivity, but I’d rather lose the accomplishment than know my naming decisions are making someone else sad because they won’t get to use the name.

You must be a very kind person, aegagrusScholarship, but how would you know that you were actually making someone else sad because you were clever enough to pick a name before they did?  They would have to tell you about it which would be unkind of them.  Most players wouldn't care or might just say, "too bad for me."    They could also use the name with a number added, which I personally don't like, but if someone was so intent on using that name, it would make it possible.  Please don't feel like you are responsible for someone else's happiness over such a simple matter.

18 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

how would you know that you were actually making someone else sad because you were clever enough to pick a name before they did?

I imagine because they went through that exact same feeling trying to get the rest of the names they had in mind and finding they were already taken, possibly by someone who was no longer even playing. Which is another point for removing exclusivity: that someone's decision several years ago won't directly impact anyone else's experience even if the first person never plays again.

2 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

You might like seeing it, but for a lot of those of us who have to do it (particularly for lyrical lineages, though it's not the only time it's come up for me) it's just an added annoyance, an eyesore in a lineage, and a reminder that we can't have the name we want.

44 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

You must be a very kind person, aegagrusScholarship, but how would you know that you were actually making someone else sad because you were clever enough to pick a name before they did?  They would have to tell you about it which would be unkind of them.  Most players wouldn't care or might just say, "too bad for me."    They could also use the name with a number added, which I personally don't like, but if someone was so intent on using that name, it would make it possible.  Please don't feel like you are responsible for someone else's happiness over such a simple matter.

I use fandom names.

As Shadowdrake said, yes. I've run into this myself. My favorite character of all time is currently on a scroll which has been inactive for a number of years. I am, pretty obviously, upset about it. I managed to get another version of it so it's not as bad, but still. I do not want to use numbers because of, well, fandom names. I don't want to misspell again because fandom names. 

I snagged another very popular character a little while ago. I then found a scroll which seemed to be theming names after said character. Looking at the dates on those dragons, I got the name mere days, or even hours, before that person managed to get it. I imagine they're very disappointed at the very least, since they had quite a few names themed after said character already.

Also, I'm not responsible for their happiness, but I'd rather not be a reason in their unhappiness. 

2 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

1 hour ago, aegagrusScholarship said:

As someone who’s posted on that thread and is against exclusivity:

On one hand, yes! It’s great I got the name, and I was surprised half the names I snagged weren’t taken. I do also agree there’s a sense of accomplishment with finding stuff that isn’t taken. 

On the other hand, please try to imagine how I feel when I remember that me getting the names means no one else can use them. It might be more pronounced in my case because I got fandom names, but, y’know.

See, this is where different experiences lead to very very different viewpoints. For people who actually *get* those exclusive names first, sure it can be a great feeling! For people who can look at their scroll and see that they have *the* specific fandom/etc names, they probably have a great sense of accomplishment. And I can understand why those people would see ending name exclusivity as a negative thing, because maybe those names wouldn't feel as special anymore.

.... But what about the rest of the userbase? What about ALL those people who *didn't* get those names first, and were forced to resort to adding random crap in order to sorta-kinda have the name they wanted? What about users who have only been playing for a few years, or even a few months, and the *vast* majority of any real names they think of are already taken, and their entire naming experience is basically random generators and adding random stuff into the name just to get a name that *kind of* resembles the ones they actually want? That's not fun. That's not exciting. That's not creative. That's not a great way to keep new players, or encourage players to be invested in the game. 

I've said it before in suggestion threads, I'd rather support a suggestion that would benefit the majority of the userbase even if it doesn't benefit me directly or maybe even makes my dragons subjectively less unique/special. I'd rather tons of other users be able to name however they want without all these limitations, than feel 'accomplished' that I got there first.

Yeah, I have also posted in that name thread and want to get rid of name exclusivity. Is it nice being the only person to have some Pokemon names, some real words, several names from various fandoms, things that just generally sound cool? Yes, it is. But as HeatherMarie said, I would much rather support a suggestion that benefits the majority of players even if it slightly inconveniences me or makes my dragons less special. My enjoyment isn't more important than that of the userbase as a whole.

Just want to toss out a relevant anecdote that may resonate with some. My 17-year-old dog died in July, and naturally I wanted to memorialize her with naming dragons. Of course, I couldn't get her exact name, even though it wasn't a particularly common name. But I didn't let that stop me! I came up with 26! names that remind me of her, including many of the nicknames and endearments I used throughout her 17 years with me. All that, and I still got her real name, just added "My" in front, which is even more impactful for me. And that doesn't even count the ones that I had already used previously, when she was still with me. I am reminded of the famous song lyric "You can't always get what you want/But if you try sometimes, well, you might find/You get what you need".

On another note, it makes me happy to see clever names on other people's dragons, and I like to give credit where credit is due. Sure, I can admit to a little jealousy at times (we're all human), but that doesn't mean I need that name on my scroll, I can be content that it exists! So those of you imagining that other people are unhappy, just remember that your names can also make many other people smile/laugh (and seek out their offspring :lol:).

In a similar vein, sure it would be fun to have certain fandom names, but I don't consider those particularly creative or clever. There are plenty of fandom sites and outlets for those, I don't need them on Dragon Cave specifically. Put another way, I get where folks are coming from, and I have also been occasionally frustrated when naming dragons, but I don't take DC (or life) too seriously. It IS NOT the end of the world if I can't have everything I want exactly as I want it.

tl;dr- I don't need to own something to appreciate it.

Happy Holidays!

Shala

alot

and let the eviscerating begin...

I genuinely dont understand why we dont allow multiple names to exist 

im not trying to put anyone down who likes name exclusivity but i find it very sucky that i have to spend 20 mins trying every combination of words just to make a refrence or get a good name

i orginally wanted to have grounds of dragons named after monster hunter charecters or have slight refrences to them and even those got taken

15 hours ago, Keileon said:

Yeah, I have also posted in that name thread and want to get rid of name exclusivity. Is it nice being the only person to have some Pokemon names, some real words, several names from various fandoms, things that just generally sound cool? Yes, it is. But as HeatherMarie said, I would much rather support a suggestion that benefits the majority of players even if it slightly inconveniences me or makes my dragons less special. My enjoyment isn't more important than that of the userbase as a whole.

Very much this. 

Also, as someone who has been playing since 2008, I get the feeling that exclusivity is even less great in the long run. There is a noticeable decline in how often I find names I like nowadays compared to years ago, which of course makes sense since there's no name wiping anymore, and it's unlikely someone will manually remove a "popular" name. As a result I end up naming my dragons very rarely unless I have a specific reason. As I said before, while exclusivity can inspire/force (depends on which way you look at it) people to get creative, it also discourages others from naming at all. Judging just from how much less I experience the sense of success that comes with grabbing a good name now, I am inclined to believe the scales will just be tipped more towards discouraging as time goes on.

13 hours ago, Shala said:

Just want to toss out a relevant anecdote that may resonate with some. My 17-year-old dog died in July, and naturally I wanted to memorialize her with naming dragons. Of course, I couldn't get her exact name, even though it wasn't a particularly common name. But I didn't let that stop me! I came up with 26! names that remind me of her, including many of the nicknames and endearments I used throughout her 17 years with me. All that, and I still got her real name, just added "My" in front, which is even more impactful for me. And that doesn't even count the ones that I had already used previously, when she was still with me. I am reminded of the famous song lyric "You can't always get what you want/But if you try sometimes, well, you might find/You get what you need".

On another note, it makes me happy to see clever names on other people's dragons, and I like to give credit where credit is due. Sure, I can admit to a little jealousy at times (we're all human), but that doesn't mean I need that name on my scroll, I can be content that it exists! So those of you imagining that other people are unhappy, just remember that your names can also make many other people smile/laugh (and seek out their offspring :lol:).

In a similar vein, sure it would be fun to have certain fandom names, but I don't consider those particularly creative or clever. There are plenty of fandom sites and outlets for those, I don't need them on Dragon Cave specifically. Put another way, I get where folks are coming from, and I have also been occasionally frustrated when naming dragons, but I don't take DC (or life) too seriously. It IS NOT the end of the world if I can't have everything I want exactly as I want it.

Happy Holidays!

Shala

alot

Quoted for being exactly how I feel.

I'd also like to mention that as somebody who supports name exclusivity, there are names I am a little sad I didn't get. I used to have the name Fiddle before my scroll got wiped, which was super exciting to get, but since I lost it it was taken and now I have Fiddle DeDee which isn't as rare but IS way cuter!

There's also a bunch of names that use my naming scheme that got taken because they're more obvious, my username is taken for example. When I breed my dragons quite often people use my naming scheme and though it's super cute it also drives me a little nuts when they use a really common word like 'Oh my god why didn't I think of thaaaat'

Despite all that though I still prefer having name exclusivity. 

23 hours ago, Keileon said:

This has become the boat I'm in, too.

Yeah, sure, I like having a few names that I was able to grab before anyone else, but I also think it's weird and selfish for me and other people to get really into the feeling of "no one else can ever have this name!!! My dragons are the most special!!" As I've emphasized before, this treads into the more subjective territory, but there's somewhat of an empathy issue going on with arguments that favor exclusivity, in my opinion.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:34 AM, Stormcaller said:

And yet that is exactly how many of us DO name dragons because we dont have other options. I have quite a few from my themed list.

On 12/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, Shala said:

Happy Holidays!

Shala

alot

It may be alright with you, but some people might be really upset that they couldn’t get the specific names they want for memorial purposes, too. It depends on the person— I’m not saying you’re any lesser for being fine with it because honestly this is valid too, but I’m saying that as you said, it’s anecdotal at best.

I’m not imagining other people are unhappy, I know for a fact because I’ve talked to some people miffed about name exclusivity and I’ve run into some issues with naming myself. And, of course, all the pro-abolishing name exclusivity people on this thread, haha.

As for fandom names (since you mentioned) and going on other sites:

First off, I’m very biased on this because 90% my enjoyment here is ‘what fandom characters can I assign what dragons’, so please take what I’m saying with a grain of salt. 
However: does it matter if it’s creative or clever? It makes some people happy. Also, I really don’t think people are taking it too seriously. This thread is just for people debating, and it doesn’t seem like anyone’s up in arms yet— there’s just people posting here because “hey, it’d be even better if we got rid of this”. 

Also, yes, I can understand “you don’t need to own something to appreciate it” but at the same time, sometimes it’s not appreciation, sometimes it’s just “I’d like this name for personal reasons”.

I wonder if a potential solution, if it would actually be possible and not too much of a pain to code, is some kind of setting which allows people to turn name exclusivity on or off for their scroll. If it was on you could only take names not taken by other users on the site, and if it was off you could take whatever names you want. If you switch from off to on all names you've taken which were taken by other users first disappear. Personally I quite like name exclusivity, but I do totally understand why people want it gone and the frustration it causes.

1 hour ago, bonvoyage said:

I wonder if a potential solution, if it would actually be possible and not too much of a pain to code, is some kind of setting which allows people to turn name exclusivity on or off for their scroll. If it was on you could only take names not taken by other users on the site, and if it was off you could take whatever names you want. If you switch from off to on all names you've taken which were taken by other users first disappear. Personally I quite like name exclusivity, but I do totally understand why people want it gone and the frustration it causes.

First, I don't understand the point.  The people that like it are still going to see repeated names elsewhere so it wouldn't actually give them any benefit nor would it prevent others from taking their names. 

Second, even TJ has said toggles are not an option for most things.  (some exceptions, possibly but not every single suggestion needs a toggle) All or nothing.