screwygirl

Zombie Dragons... never gonna have one

Killing is killing. I think we need to accept that - along with the message. Otherwise - well, it gets a bit like current warfare - it's OK to send DRONES out to do our dirty work because WE aren't doing the killing.... We need to accept responsibility for what we do - here and IRL.

It's a game. Either you push the button or you don't. A zombie, by definition is a corpse that rises from the grave. Which means it has to be dead first. If something being dead (that was never alive in the first place) bothers you, then you're right. You will never have a zombie dragon. Changing the name of the button would not change anything. It is still a death. If writing descriptions saying it was a mercy killing is easier, go for it.  I drafted one, years ago saying it was a plague followed by a magician playing doctor that messed up. (Never got it the way I liked it and scrapped it.) But, zombie explanation doesn't have to be murder. But that's a you thing to figure out. A mercy killing is still killing the thing. 

On 7/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, screwygirl said:

I am a very sensitive person. I think the term is hypersensitivity. So when I learned that I must kill a dragon to get this breed, I decided that I would never have a zombie dragon...

Unless the talented creators make a way to get a zombie dragon without needing to kill one. *hint hint*

Maybe if one of your dragons accidentally dies, you can try to zombify it?

I get where you are coming from. I started similarly in a way but from another angle. I hate vampires. Of any type. I hate the romanticism of them, and on a deep core belief level they greatly disturb me without me going any deeper than that. And this has nothing to do with religion. It has been reinforced the few times I veered from that rule. So I swore for a long time never to have anything to do with vampires or zombies in any game, and that carried over to this game. Over time, I would adapt, and while I could write an essay, the summary is you grow and things change. Especially since... real life is real life, and dragon pixel game is dragon pixel game. As the game grows and changes, you may find that you grow and change as a person. I hope you do, at least, that is part of life. I'm a big fan of my personal story and lore within my dragon pixel world, and it has been fun to watch it grow and develop over time. 

Just be aware if you are oversensitive, then you might want to make sure some breeds of  Halloween Dragons who torture and torment other living beings, including other dragons, for fun, not even to eat, or even those dragons that just hunt other dragons for food, don't end up on your scroll either. Their breed description might really upset you when you realize just how evil and cruel beyond words they are. So you can make your choices, and I totally support you standing by them. I'm just being real here. There is a reason this game requires people to be 13 years or older to play. And it isn't just because you can't advertise to or email kids who are younger than that. This is not an "adult themed" game, but it has some not quite as sugar coated aspects to it.

Edited by Natayah

I don't see how a "euthanize" option is going to help much. In order to use it you would need to rationalize some awful thing that is going to happen to your dragon to justify putting it out of its misery. Is that any better than just outright killing it? And I think for many of us, that option would raise unhappy memories of the times that we had to say goodbye to beloved pets for their own good. Not something I want to be reminded of in a game that is basically a diversion from real life.

Consider this suggestion withdrawn.

Didn't understand the mechanics of the game as well as all of you experienced people.

Not sure how comparing military drones and killing to a game of fictional dragons makes sense 🤔 but some of these responses seemed a bit harsher than needed. @screwygirl and I are roommates, and she's one of the sweetest people I've ever met, and having worked in customer service for over 3 years I've met a lot of people.

As I said originally, I see both points and while it hurts to attempt a zombie ritual, I, as someone said, "Close my eyes and press the button"

not trying to turn this topic into anything, but she told me she feels that she needs to avoid the forums as she felt some of these comments brought her character into question. She's not a hypocrite. Not when it comes to matters of death and even told me she doesn't like the "euthanize" wording as it upset her by reminding her of a pet she recent lost within the last year. 

I told her that the forums are a great place and the people here are some of the most kind and understanding community she'll ever meet. Now she is nervous about logging on and felt that some wording by others were more aggressive than needed. There is nothing wrong with suggesting a new mechanic or a different way to obtain dragons in better ways. Especially to improve.

I'm trying to remain on neutral ground, I just feel bad that my friend is now unsure about this forum. She only joined back in February. She hasn't even taken part in her first DC Halloween or Christmas yet. 

One of the best features of Dragon Cave is that there are no hard and fast rules for how to play it.  If you don't like what it's necessary to do to make Zombies, you do not have to make them. You can still enjoy all the other aspects of the game. Tailor the game to your likes, be it collecting all dragons, specializing in just some of them, breeding them, whatever!   It's a game so do what you like and ignore what you don't. 

And above all, don't be offended by what anyone says in a forum. People will respond to comments in every way possible, so don't ever take it personally. 

23 hours ago, Keileon said:

But for the purposes of this thread, maybe also changing the death message to be less of a blatant, why-would-you-do-this betrayal, would help empathic players get past the idea of stabbing their dragons. This way they can more readily tell themselves that it wasn't just cold-blooded murder.

You take your knife and stab the dragon, watching the light fade from its eyes as its body goes still.

This is a much more neutral message, which players can reason as whatever kind of kill they want. There's no preloaded implication of anything except that you used a knife to do it.

Support for this! The "kill" text (along with the abandoning text) always seemed needlessly guilt trippy for a feature that's not always treated as guilt trippy. Ex. the auto-abandon text being "you abandon it." vs. the abandon text being "you leave it to die."

I feel like a more neutral wording, as well as changing the dodge text (I always thought that was weird too!) would help people who have to have trouble dealing with the guilt-trippy flavor text.

4 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

One of the best features of Dragon Cave is that there are no hard and fast rules for how to play it.  If you don't like what it's necessary to do to make Zombies, you do not have to make them. You can still enjoy all the other aspects of the game. Tailor the game to your likes, be it collecting all dragons, specializing in just some of them, breeding them, whatever!   It's a game so do what you like and ignore what you don't. 

And above all, don't be offended by what anyone says in a forum. People will respond to comments in every way possible, so don't ever take it personally. 

Thank you. I appreciate that. 

It's hard not to get offended, though... because I am OVERSENSITIVE!  😛 (Sorry... had to!)

No one meant any of this as a personal attack, either on @screwygirl or @Naruhina_94. The printed word often comes across much harsher than it is meant.

Ultimately, accidental death will never fly. The vast majority of players would give an outcry, if their oldest and dearest dragons could suddenly die with no intention from the player. Even with hatchlings, accidental death is rare; with eggs, it's a few specific actions that clearly have the clause of "this can kill the egg". I just think that a message change is the best we're going to get.

15 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

No one meant any of this as a personal attack, either on @screwygirl or @Naruhina_94. The printed word often comes across much harsher than it is meant.

I get that... but there were specific posts that implied hypocrisy and irresponsibility. As if wanting to find a way not to kill a dragon was copping out. If that is the way it has to be, then I accept that. And I will never have a zombie dragon. I'm not whining about it or complaining. It was just a suggestion/question. And almost immediately, I apologized because I didn't yet (and still don't) have a firm grasp on the mechanics of the game.
And yet... people kept insinuating that it was a cop out... or that it was hypocritical. It just seemed like some were so vehement about it.

I, personally, felt like some of the responses were less about the suggestion and more about how much of a cop out suggesting it was. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:25 PM, purplehaze said:

I know at least one player who will never kill anything. They have made the decision to never have Zombies (or even Vampires).

I am not especially fond of killing dragons, either, but have decided to close my eyes to the sad message you get when you succeed and make the attempt. I just wish I didn't have so many kills that still don't produce a Zombie. I feel bad for killing those only to have them crumble into dust.

No support for changing the way Zombies are obtained. As it is now it fits perfectly with Zombie nature.

The thing with Vampires is you can obtain them even adults without killing. All you have to do is find them in the Cave of Abandoned Eggs and Hatchlings [a.k.a. Abandoned Page, a.k.a. AP]. With Zombies, no choice but to murder adults and revive. For hatchlings, you can let them die [so it's not cold blooded murder just negligence] and revive. For me, I simply pretended I was negligent and let my dragon eggs and hatchlings die, to get the other form of the Aegis dragon. And then pretended my Adult dragon died from some accident [even if I did murder him] then revive to get a Zombie Adult.

So, no support for the suggestion. :( Apologies.

1 hour ago, screwygirl said:

And yet... people kept insinuating that it was a cop out... or that it was hypocritical. It just seemed like some were so vehement about it.

Unfortunately, the suggestions area is chock full of people taking things either way too personally or way too seriously. Most of the rest of the forum is fine, but I don't recommend frequenting this subforum if you don't like toxicity, overly nitpicky arguments or insinuations on your character.

As it stands, a truly accidental adult death would pretty much go against the game of DC, where your adults are eternal (and there are way too many irreplaceable dragons to consider implementing it). I'm not sure there's any possible alternative that doesn't involve pressing a button, whether it'd be killing your dragon personally or telling another dragon to assassinate it.

7 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I'm not sure there's any possible alternative that doesn't involve pressing a button, whether it'd be killing your dragon personally or telling another dragon to assassinate it.

What if there was a game element implemented? like a few years back there was a Halloween event where you could spread the cure or the virus. What if there was a virus that could zombify a dragon? It could be set as a game where you have the option to choose a dragon on your scroll to enter (yes it still puts dragon at risk to zombie, kill or cure but its better than simply killing it outright)

It would then catch the virus and there could be a scale that measures if it is cured or turning zombie. Perhaps a roulette wheel determines if it get a cure or draws closer to death, or even a system that requires a second wave of views. (zombie clicks if you will) 

Just a small idea I'm throwing out. It doesn't have to be a thing. 

14 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Unfortunately, the suggestions area is chock full of people taking things either way too personally or way too seriously. Most of the rest of the forum is fine, but I don't recommend frequenting this subforum if you don't like toxicity, overly nitpicky arguments or insinuations on your character.

As it stands, a truly accidental adult death would pretty much go against the game of DC, where your adults are eternal (and there are way too many irreplaceable dragons to consider implementing it). I'm not sure there's any possible alternative that doesn't involve pressing a button, whether it'd be killing your dragon personally or telling another dragon to assassinate it.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

And yeah, once I figured out that adult dragons don't accidentally die, I decided my suggestion might not be such a good one. 

So I will never have a zombie dragon... I can deal with that. :)

5 minutes ago, Syiren said:

What if there was a game element implemented? like a few years back there was a Halloween event where you could spread the cure or the virus. What if there was a virus that could zombify a dragon? It could be set as a game where you have the option to choose a dragon on your scroll to enter (yes it still puts dragon at risk to zombie, kill or cure but its better than simply killing it outright)

It would then catch the virus and there could be a scale that measures if it is cured or turning zombie. Perhaps a roulette wheel determines if it get a cure or draws closer to death, or even a system that requires a second wave of views. (zombie clicks if you will) 

Not a bad idea.

What about some kind of raffle event now and then that would award a zombie dragon... no rhyme or reason... just here and there. Keeps it still rare and difficult to get, but for all those who won't kill to get one, it gives them a chance...

I'm gonna second Shadowdrake on this one. The forums are pretty okay...until you get to this particular subforum. Your best bet is to just avoid the Suggestions subforum if you want to have a great time here. I suggest Forum Games. Forum Games is best subforum. :) Raffles, fun stuff, it's great~! Don't let people's words get you down.  You know who you are, they don't (and most won't care so don't care right back, they aren't worth it).

I couldn't do zombies for a long time either because pressing the button was painful...so I just waited for Halloween when the endless fail streak had way less effect because highest zombie odds. I wouldn't mind another way to obtain them...but I agree that accidental deaths could wind up robbing people of a lot of their hard-won dergs and that wouldn't be very fun. Especially when we still have dragons that have limits or special requirements on them, like CB vdays/xmases, GoNs, CB prizes... Stuff that is difficult or even near-impossible to re-obtain if lost.

I imagine some of my posts were what hurt. I'm really sorry - zombification is part of the game, and I do think one has to accept that killing is a part of that; I suppose the message is kind of harsh - but - well, it does refer to killing. I certainly didn't mean to hurt; I'm not insensitive myself (I use humane MOUSETRAPS !) - just not about pixel creatures.

12 hours ago, Syiren said:

As I said originally, I see both points and while it hurts to attempt a zombie ritual, I, as someone said, "Close my eyes and press the button"

not trying to turn this topic into anything, but she told me she feels that she needs to avoid the forums as she felt some of these comments brought her character into question.

Honest to god - character in terms of killing a pixel dragon isn't anything that would even have crossed my mind....

11 hours ago, screwygirl said:

Thank you. I appreciate that. 

It's hard not to get offended, though... because I am OVERSENSITIVE!  😛 (Sorry... had to!)

Offence isn't a thing I hope - hurt is more the issue ?

292053399_hug1.jpg.a4470468fdeef616013c703c021250e0.jpg

12 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

This. WE all know EXACTLY how the game should be played - OUR way ! And we say so. A lot.

11 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Exactly this.

But PLEASE never accidental death with our having no control. That is one TERRIFYING thought. I'm also not that sure about any more raffles.... the existing one has already caused too much dissent over the years,

9 hours ago, Syiren said:

I love this idea so much!

How much would that really  help sensitive people - you'd still be volunteering your dragon to be killed, even it it is by a germ.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:15 AM, screwygirl said:

I get that... but there were specific posts that implied hypocrisy and irresponsibility. As if wanting to find a way not to kill a dragon was copping out. If that is the way it has to be, then I accept that. And I will never have a zombie dragon. I'm not whining about it or complaining. It was just a suggestion/question. And almost immediately, I apologized because I didn't yet (and still don't) have a firm grasp on the mechanics of the game.

I, personally, felt like some of the responses were less about the suggestion and more about how much of a cop out suggesting it was. 

Yes, I completely agree with this. Nobody likes to being called an hypocritical for trying to offer a pleasant game experience to everyone. Not one bit. And when you loose your patience after multiple tries of being reasonable you are suddenly the bad guy. Oh well, if this isn't real life...

I just find weird that the only way to obtain a certain breed is to forcefully be "evil". Why we have to be rappresented as assassins at all cost? I suppose dragons naturally die too in this world, unless they are some kind of divine beings immune to everything once they become adult... Heck, we even have cannibal breeds....

Every other aspect of the game portayes us as loving dragons caregivers, who raise their hatchling until adulthood, so I find quite inappropriate this sudden change when it comes to zombie. It's like, for example, if in order to freeze an hatchie we would have to kill it and stuff with straw... wouldn't it be unnecesary? I feel the same about having to murder in cold blood the dragon you're supposed to care about. 

I suggest to open a more specific topic about it, so you can resume all suggestions about adding a new action or BSA that allows an alternate ending for Zombie creation. The topic as it stands it's more about expressing our view about zombies than actually suggesting what could be changed ;)

And don't worry, DC may be slow to evolve, but it eventually gets better and better, each year new things are implemented, even some that people strongly opposed about as, for example, holiday re-relase.

If you want to update your first post here is a recap:

New Zombification Method

The killing sentence as it stands now (spoiler for those who dont want to read it):

Spoiler

You take your blade and stab the dragon, watching the life slowly leave its eyes as it stares at you, wondering why you betrayed it

The current sentence displayed when you kill one of your dragons is in contrast with the general spirit of the game which is about caring and raising the creatures in our scroll. It would be nice to add a different way to obtain zombies with the addition of a new mechanic in game.

We do have both Incubate and Earthquake. Their purpose is to make eggs hatch faster, with Earthquake being more risky (your eggs could die of Earthquake) but more rewarding as with a single action there is a chance of hatching multiple eggs, and the other Incubate is definetly more safe, but only removes 1 day to a single egg.

Applying the same concept here are some examples on how the game can be expanded:

-----------------------------

Killing: works as it is now. 

Can be performed on: Living eggs, hatchlings, and adults.
Usage Limitations: Can be performed 5 times every two weeks.

Killing an egg, hatchling, or adult will cause it to die and eventually be removed from your scroll. This action is not always successful and hatchlings or adults may resist your attempts to kill them

Text Displayed in case of success (spoiler for those who dont want to read it): 

Spoiler

You take your blade and stab the dragon, watching the life slowly leave its eyes as it stares at you, wondering why you betrayed it

Mercy: an alternate way of Killing that doesn't imply murder. The dragon is compliant, so it doesn't have a failure chance. This is the reason of the restriced usage limitations.

Can be performed on: Living eggs, hatchlings, and adults.
Usage Limitations: Can be performed 1 time every two weeks.

Applying mercyful kill on an egg, hatchling, or adult will cause it to die and eventually be removed from your scroll. 

Success:

You give the dragon a powerful potion that renders it unconscious. The dragon passes away in your arms shortly after. 

Experimenting: On Success: restores BSA or Breeding cooldowns. On Neutral: Nothing Happens. On Fail: Dragon Dies.

Can be performed on: Hatchies, hatchlings, and adults.

Usage Limitations: Can be performed 3 times every two weeks. Has a sligher higher chance of success than Killing as the dragon is willing to experiment dark magic with you

Experimenting some potions on an hatchie, hatchling, or adult could go wrong and accidentaly will cause it to die. If the dragon isn't resurrected as Zombie it will eventually be removed from your scroll. 

Success:

You take a dark potion with dark and lighting mana crystals and warn the dragon on the dangers of it. He agrees to try it, he peacefully falls asleep and .... upon waking up he magically feels incredibly restored.

Neutral

You take a dark potion with dark and lighting mana crystals and warn the dragon on the dangers of it. He agrees to try it, he peacefully falls asleep and .... upon waking up he doesn't feel any difference.

Fail:

You take a dark potion with dark and lighting mana crystals and warn the dragon on the dangers of it. He agrees to try it, he peacefully falls asleep and .... something goes wrong! He never wakes up.

Cure (requires new game mechanic as hatchies and adult dragons can be eligible to become cursed at player choice)

Can be performed on: hatchlings, and adults.
Usage Limitations: Can always be performed on living dragons who caught a disease.

Hatchling and adults marked by the player can become cursed and be cured. This action is not always successful and if cure fails the dragon dies and eventually will be removed from your scroll.

Success:

You notice your dragon becoming weaker and weaker because of some mysterious curse and immediatly prepare a healing potion with life mana crystals. The potions successfuly cures him instantly.

Fail:

You notice your dragon becoming weaker and weaker because of some mysterious  curse and immediatly prepare a healing potion with life mana crystals. The potions sadly isn't strong enough and the dragon dies.

New BSA "Reviving": (I leave you the choice of the more fitting breed for this one) - in order to not bother anyone with the issue of "taking a dragon from the graveyard they purposely killed so nobody else could have" this BSA could randomly select only CB dragons.

Can be performed on: Hatchies, hatchlings, and adults randomly picked from the Graveyard https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Graveyard 
Usage Limitations: Can be performed 1 time every two weeks. Has a higher chance of success on reviving a dragon as zombie than killing it directly, with the chances of success increasing with each try you make.

Success:

You go to the forbidden Dragon Graveyard to try to bring back the body and soul of one of them... The ritual also requires complex materials and many mana shards, but eventually it seems to work! It's Alive!!! 

Fail:

You go to the forbidden Dragon Graveyard to try to bring back the body and soul of one of them... The ritual requires complex materials and many mana shards, you are not prepared enough for it and eventually you go away empty handed.

Edited by Naruhina_94

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I imagine some of my posts were what hurt. I'm really sorry - zombification is part of the game, and I do think one has to accept that killing is a part of that; I suppose the message is kind of harsh - but - well, it does refer to killing. I certainly didn't mean to hurt; I'm not insensitive myself (I use humane MOUSETRAPS !) - just not about pixel creatures.

Honest to god - character in terms of killing a pixel dragon isn't anything that would even have crossed my mind....

This. WE all know EXACTLY how the game should be played - OUR way ! And we say so. A lot.

Exactly this.

But PLEASE never accidental death with our having no control. That is one TERRIFYING thought. I'm also not that sure about any more raffles.... the existing one has already caused too much dissent over the years,

*hugs back* I figured you were having an off day. For as long as I've been on this forum I've only known you to be a sweet and friendly soul. A few posts were regarding you, but the one putting character into question was regarding another, whom I figured could also have been having an off day or just didn't mean for things to be the way they sounded. 

I mess up my wording all the time, so its hard to get your passion and message across in a balanced way. - perfect example. I'm trying to say it's not easy to put both a considerate response with a passionate argument into a proper balanced post. (did not sleep well and am groggy as heck atm) 

@Naruhina_94 I like those ideas. They sound better and more reasonable than mine. I love how in this game there are so many ways for new mechanics and BSA's and even games to spring up to enrich this dragon-rich world. 

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Exactly this.

Thank you very much! This made me feel much better. Basically, what @Syiren said.

Pin by Dianne on From Me...To You | Virtual hug, Hug quotes, Happy ...

I wouldn't like accidental death of adult dragons, either. I didn't know that feature didn't exist.

But again. Thank you. Your post made me all warm and fuzzy. I am oversensitive, and it is possible I read too much into your posts. There was one in particular from someone else that made me feel like my character was being attacked, but I'm trying to let that one go.

I will simply be content to have a scroll without a zombie dragon... unless an acceptable alternative comes along.

I suspect the post troubling you was mine.  I have been called a blunt object before and I am not always good at sugar coating.  I find the whole existence of zombies in this game objectionable and have trouble understanding why anyone would want in in the first place.  This is partly I expect derived from another game I have played for many years.  It is an older mmorpg where one of the races you can play is dragon.  The main foe in the game is the withered aegis, who consist of mainly undead.  One of the major bosses is a former general ally (dragon) to the living races who fell in battle and was corrupted by the enemy.  I've spent way too much time fighting undead in the blighted lands to relish the idea of having a zombie live with me (on my scroll).

Do take what I say with a grain of salt.  I didn't expect you to take my words so literally.  I'm not good with fancy internet stuff either so here's the rp version from my dragon character.  *Wing Hug*