Story: birdzgoboom

Scroll Badges: PieMaster

News announcement graphic: Shajana

On-site announcement graphic : Shajana

Tetrominoes: Marrionetta, TCA

Board background: Shajana

Meters: Shajana

Aw! I missed the holiday wall ending! Not sorry I missed the salt though:

Anyway, WE HAD A FIRE BAR FOR A SECOND AND I MISSED IT! D: At least, that shows it's possible to get the red bar.

Now a repeat of the compilation post:

- Puzzle Parties! Join a team! (Both to be fair):

On 12/27/2017 at 6:55 PM, Shokomon said:

Because we need more fire, I made a topic for the Fire Team: 

More fire is needed.

MORE.

JOIN US ON THE FIRE SIDE!

Booooooooo! Hisssssss! 

- Word of the Creators of the new dragon:

On 12/28/2017 at 9:19 AM, Fiona said:

The mana berries are not dangerous. They're fire mana, yes, but give off a gentle warmth.

- New dragon breeding thread:

22 hours ago, LibbyLishly said:

While I do hope that next year we have another garishly festive Dragon (gingerbread! gingerbread! gingerbread!), this thread has some great pairing ideas - I'm a HUGE fan of how they'll look with Gaias. 

- From TJ:

On 12/25/2017 at 2:17 AM, TJ09 said:

On 12/25/2017 at 2:13 AM, Yubelchen said:

Mhhh, did a hard one for fire but it doesnt show on my gauge, seems like once you choose you are stuck with ir.

So it means im for team ice then XD

Actually, the meter is global (everyone needs to contribute to unlock) and shows the current leader (warm vs cold).

On 12/25/2017 at 2:09 PM, TJ09 said:
On 12/25/2017 at 2:01 PM, Ripan said:

I can't tell which "side" of the bar is winning at all. I'm just reading the bar like it is a voting box for fire or ice, and all it is showing now is how long left until it is full of "votes". Once it has filled up we'll know if there was more for ice or for fire mana.

That's how I've been seeing it at least.

The bar is currently blue because ice is winning. It would be red otherwise.

- A peak at the red meter and meter parts:

On 12/27/2017 at 11:48 AM, Natakiro said:

Aw, I love the hatchling designs; can't wait to see them grow up!

And here's the red bar:

Linked because spoiler

On 12/27/2017 at 12:30 PM, pinkgothic said:
On 12/27/2017 at 11:53 AM, mouse050909 said:

Where did you find that? :) 

I'm assuming they tweaked the CSS in their browser, it's easy enough. :) You can see the parts the bar is made up of here: https://static.dcave.net/images/holidays17/meter.png

- Credits:

1 hour ago, Shajana said:

Event credits:

Story: birdzgoboom

Scroll Badges: PieMaster

News announcement graphic: Shajana

On-site announcement graphic : Shajana

Tetrominoes: Marrionetta

Board background: Shajana

Meters: Shajana

That one is the fire Meter:

full_by_nyriana-dbxikfi.png

empty_by_nyriana-dbxikg7.png

36 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

DC wouldn't be DC if someone didn't get their knickers in a knot over each and every release and event. It's what we do best! :lol:

Seriously all the fuss last night was much ado about nothing. I suspect most of the wall of eggs were not even dropped with the intent of giving people who missed the drop a chance. More likely it was code hunters abandoning eggs when they found something with a better code. I have often done it to get Z coded eggs, but with these holiday releases I have come to realize that once things have calmed down a bit from the first few hours, there is plenty of time when the biomes move slowly enough to cherry-pick codes.

But seriously, belittling people who missed the drop and those who left eggs out there for them, just because YOU got your eggs and are ready to move on? There are plenty of legitimate reasons why people may not be able to get here within the 3 day drop window. Just because you have never been in that situation, don't assume that anyone who misses the drop is lazy, irresponsible and whatever other words were being thrown about. Have a little compassion, folks! It is Christmas, after all.

It's not belittling- the only times I have ever missed a drop were because I forgot. Should anyone feel sorry for me then? No, it's my own fault,. The cave is coded to drop the eggs for three days, they don't need any more extra help than that.

And I still find it super hard to believe that people can't take 5 minutes away from their family to grab some slow-moving eggs. Are your family watching you even as you're going to bed? What kind of controlling, personal-space invading relatives do people have?

I'm sure these same people had time to waste on facebook and twitter, and I don't feel bad for them.

As far as code-hunters go, I don't much enjoy people blocking up the AP for that either. Should make the eggs that are limited to two per person unabandonable. When I had people telling me last night 'oh if it's a problem just freeze and release your hatchlings and grab another pair of AP eggs'- Um no.. I didn't make the mess.

5 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

And I still find it super hard to believe that people can't take 5 minutes away from their family to grab some slow-moving eggs.

I hope you never get so sick that you cannot open your eyes, let alone move an arm or have  a situation where you have to deal with a family member that cannot be left alone without it being a health hazard. Also, they make you turn off cell phones in certain parts of the doctor's office or hospital/health facilities  here in Florida. IDK where you are. For much of the holiday, there were times that I would have liked to hunt, but family was more important. I totally understand where people are coming from when DC is the last thing on their mind. 

@Jazeki Agree  I really don't feel sorry for folks complaining that they can't get at AP eggs when there are biomes to hunt and dragons on their own scrolls to breed. It won't kill them to just wait a few hours.

Just now, Jazeki said:

I hope you never get so sick that you cannot open your eyes, let alone move an arm or have  a situation where you have to deal with a family member that cannot be left alone without it being a health hazard. Also, they make you turn off cell phones in certain parts of the doctor's office or hospital/health facilities  here in Florida. IDK where you are. For much of the holiday, there were times that I would have liked to hunt, but family was more important. I totally understand where people are coming from when DC is the last thing on their mind. 

If I get that sick, DC will be the last of my concern- and if that ever were the case, the holiday biome has been confirmed to return. I could always get mine next year.

When I had family sick and dying in the hospital my mom certainly had enough time to go take a smoke break. It's not true that people can't find time to do anything at all.

My grandma also had to care for her mother who had a stroke and was bedridden, and she still had time to do things.

This argument is truly grasping at straws. You have 5 minutes before you go to sleep, you have 5 minutes when you're eating, or waiting for food you order, or 5 minutes before you go to bed. If your schedule has no amount of time that you can do something so simple as click a few times, you have much, much bigger issues that if you can get the new holiday dragons.

And this is the 0.01% case we're talking about here, where as a wall of eggs people can't grab inconveniences the other 99.9% of players. I don't know about business, but I'm pretty sure if you cater to the lower number, you get a lower return on investment.

14 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I hope they are recovering and that things are better for your family now. 

9 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

If I get that sick, DC will be the last of my concern- and if that ever were the case, the holiday biome has been confirmed to return. I could always get mine next year.

When I had family sick and dying in the hospital my mom certainly had enough time to go take a smoke break. It's not true that people can't find time to do anything at all.

My grandma also had to care for her mother who had a stroke and was bedridden, and she still had time to do things.

This argument is truly grasping at straws. You have 5 minutes before you go to sleep, you have 5 minutes when you're eating, or waiting for food you order, or 5 minutes before you go to bed. If your schedule has no amount of time that you can do something so simple as click a few times, you have much, much bigger issues that if you can get the new holiday dragons.

And this is the 0.01% case we're talking about here, where as a wall of eggs people can't grab inconveniences the other 99.9% of players. I don't know about business, but I'm pretty sure if you cater to the lower number, you get a lower return on investment.

Wow.  My heart goes out to your family having to deal with sick family members, but I'm pretty sure that taking time to do things meant going to buy groceries or doing other necessities like filling prescriptions or laundry or the like. I know that's what I have had to do when I would rather be playing on the compy.   Also, I'm not about to share my whole situation here, but it is far from grasping at straws on my end. I was also raised to not play on the phone when eating with the rest of the family and whether or not I am able to take away time is my own business--just as it is anyone else's. 

People are able to play how they want. I say let them throw codes to the AP or share what they have with people who missed out. Users are probably very happy that they were able to catch from the AP instead of having to wait a whole year. 

@Laura-Borealis Thank you. Most of the family is better at this point. One is in rehab and we are also looking into home health care to help. 

Edited by Jazeki

For the record, I am neither pro nor con on the issue of catch and abandon for holiday eggs. I just object to all the fuss that was being made about what was only a temporary situation. Had to go to bed before the AP returned to normal myself, but oh well. Not a major catastrophe in the larger scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Syiren said:

Same, those Halloween dragons are breath-taking. Any they work with so many breeds. 

Btw, I love the Timaeus gif in your sig. That was always my fav season of Yugioh. :wub:

Ahhh!!  Another Waking the Dragons fan??? Yes, haha, awesome!

1 minute ago, Jazeki said:

Wow.  My heart goes out to your family having to deal with sick family members, but I'm pretty sure that taking time to do things meant going to buy groceries or doing other necessities like filling prescriptions or laundry or the like. I know that's what I have had to do when I would rather be playing on the compy.   Also, I'm not about to share my whole situation here, but it is far from grasping at straws on my end. I was also raised to not play on the phone when eating with the rest of the family and whether or not I am able to take away time is my own business--just as it is anyone else's. 

People are able to play how they want. I say let them throw codes to the AP or share what they have with people who missed out. Users are probably very happy that they were able to catch from the AP instead of having to wait a whole year. 

The problem I have with the AP here is that only a few select people can grab these eggs, due to the limit. Halloween, I know there was a wall, but it was manageable because people were only limited by the scroll limit.

I can only imagine what will happen if people decide to try and abandon as many CBs as possible during valentines.

I don't want to come off as harsh to anybody who really does have family priorities, but I would like there to be some solution to something that inhibits gameplay. (and I won't pry about your situation).

I too agree with the idea of a line of non-holiday eggs at least to give people something to grab, but people have been asking for that for a while with no comment.

Making CB eggs with a limit impossible to abandon would simply ruin some of the fun for those who do like to hunt for codes. 

Different people get enjoyment from different parts of the game.  Some people prefer hunting in the biomes. Others enjoy hunting in the AP, whether for codes or for lineages. Some like breeding, others like the challenge of getting a neglected.  No one person plays the game exactly the same as another.  

Ruining part of the game for someone, just because others are impatient for the wall to clear is hardly fair. It's not like the wall was there permanently and preventing people from ever hunting in the AP again.  While making the limited CB eggs impossible to abandon would be a permanent end to those who enjoy code hunting holiday eggs. 

You know, TJ has said he wanted the Christmas breeds/event to be about giving. I'm sure he absolutely hates that there are users trying to help give the new cbs to others by APing some. Oh no!! People are thinking of others, we can't have that now can we? There are people who aren't addicted enough to the internet that it's not the first thing on their mind when they're worn out from spending the days with family and handling issues going on in their life?? *gasp* How dare they!

35 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

It's not belittling- the only times I have ever missed a drop were because I forgot. Should anyone feel sorry for me then? No, it's my own fault,. The cave is coded to drop the eggs for three days, they don't need any more extra help than that.

And I still find it super hard to believe that people can't take 5 minutes away from their family to grab some slow-moving eggs. Are your family watching you even as you're going to bed? What kind of controlling, personal-space invading relatives do people have?

I'm sure these same people had time to waste on facebook and twitter, and I don't feel bad for them.

As far as code-hunters go, I don't much enjoy people blocking up the AP for that either. Should make the eggs that are limited to two per person unabandonable. When I had people telling me last night 'oh if it's a problem just freeze and release your hatchlings and grab another pair of AP eggs'- Um no.. I didn't make the mess.

If you feel this strongly about this I suggest making a post in Suggestions and in Site Discussions about these topics. Eventually, this topic will close, and you wont be able to discuss any pros, cons, or solutions to the perceived issue.

I do feel its a bit of an unfair generalization to say everyone has the ability to set aside some time to pick up the New Eggs. The wall is gone now, so obviously somebody picked them up. And the generalizations ignore people who got sick during the holidays. The flu is a very common thing during this time of year that can easily take you out for 3 days.

And sometimes people just forget, or thier other priorites take charge over DC. Maybe it's Facebook or maybe your parents both got sick around Christmas, so you have to be thier caretaker.

We may now have the ability to pick up CB's for previous Holiday dragons, but remember, this is the first time this has happened. In all the previous years, the wall was the person's only way to get CB Holidays if they missed the drop in the cave. I'm certain people were grateful for the chance to get CB's during all those years, so it makes sense for people to continue the tradition, especially during "the season of giving" that holidays are.

Maybe by next year, people's habits of AP dumping will change like breeding will for Halloweens, but the wall will probably be there for a good bit until the habit changes. If you really want that, make a thread for it and see if you can garner support for it. There are literally threads designed for building up holiday eggs in the AP, so you have your work cut out for you.

One last thing, if you want to say that people can wait to next year to get CB's now, you must realize the same has always been true for bred Holidays. Breeding will open again next year and you can hunt for more bred holidays then. First CB releases only ever happen once.

Edit: Wow, the thread was moving while I was writing. I'm sorry to hear everyone's illness and sick family members, and I hope you all get better.

Edited by Shokomon

I still don’t understand why there was such a fuss about the wall. It went away after a few hours and then there were some ER eggs. People play how they play and if abandoning the new Holidays dragon is what they want then okay.    

People just need need patience and to maybe, just maybe, step away from DC for a bit if they can’t hunt what they want. The wall is over and there were some immediate ER eggs after, that was all. Nothing to get angry about, really.

I was good good either way though, since the biomes were back and I got my Magmas and Fire Gem to egglock my scroll.

Edited by Condorflight

4 minutes ago, StarSea said:

You know, TJ has said he wanted the Christmas breeds/event to be about giving. I'm sure he absolutely hates that there are users trying to help give the new cbs to others by APing some. Oh no!! People are thinking of others, we can't have that now can we? There are people who aren't addicted enough to the internet that it's not the first thing on their mind when they're worn out from spending the days with family and handling issues going on in their life?? *gasp* How dare they!

The eggs are coming back next year, and 3 days is more than we used to get- I think they have more than enough 'help' already.

If they weren't gonna make the 3-day window, they very well might not make the 5-day window.

And I will say this- I don't find family important enough that I would dedicate 100% of my time to them. I need my space.

5 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

The problem I have with the AP here is that only a few select people can grab these eggs, due to the limit. Halloween, I know there was a wall, but it was manageable because people were only limited by the scroll limit.

I can only imagine what will happen if people decide to try and abandon as many CBs as possible during valentines.

I don't want to come off as harsh to anybody who really does have family priorities, but I would like there to be some solution to something that inhibits gameplay. (and I won't pry about your situation).

I too agree with the idea of a line of non-holiday eggs at least to give people something to grab, but people have been asking for that for a while with no comment.

The holiday walls seemed to be on par with last year's. It only went a few hours longer as it was certainly gone by the time I was on.  I think the best you can do now is to put your support behind suggestions to raise limits/make a separate AP for holidays/ add a new line of non-holiday eggs. 

6 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

And sometimes people just forget.

That would be me!  I totally forgot to pick any up in 2015, and for some reason I cannot fathom, even forgot last year to pick up any 2015 bred eggs, even though I was around to pick up the 2016 new ones!

Thankfully this year I am a bit more on the ball and got them. 

2 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

The holiday walls seemed to be on par with last year's. It only went a few hours longer as it was certainly gone by the time I was on.  I think the best you can do now is to put your support behind suggestions to raise limits/make a separate AP for holidays/ add a new line of non-holiday eggs. 

I did already support raise limits, but I'm sure raising the limits won't help much. Higher limit just means people can abandon more.

If I was around last year, I probably would have commented then too, but I ended up busy and missed the holiday drop completely. But having the holiday biome is, to me, the answer to that and the fix to missing the holiday- not people sending stuff to the AP.

I mean, I forgot about Valentines when the Arsanis were released. If I had been on DC and seen a wall of those new I would have been very happy for sure! 

17 minutes ago, StarSea said:

If this is true, why in the world would it be a tragedy for them not to get a holiday egg?   That is the point I am missing here.   You missed a holiday drop due to more important things, so what?  If you were the type of player that absolutely had to have a new xmas egg, you would have made the 3 day window, if you didnt obviously you deemed other things more important and were okay with missing out?

Edited by Karobb

3 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

The eggs are coming back next year, and 3 days is more than we used to get- I think they have more than enough 'help' already.

If they weren't gonna make the 3-day window, they very well might not make the 5-day window.

And I will say this- I don't find family important enough that I would dedicate 100% of my time to them. I need my space.

No, they might not but that's the key word. Might because you know they very well may make it. Would you rather those extra two days be cave blocking days too? Or just AP blocking days?

And just because they're going to return next year doesn't mean it'll be easy to pick them up by any means. And again, TJ has specifically stated he wants these guys to encourage giving. Telling people "You missed the three day drop? Well sucks for you!" and "Oh my god I can't get low time regular eggs because others were worried for you" aren't in the spirit at all.

Really loving these new dragons! I love the concept and the colors are just gorgeous!

The tetris game is really fun IMO, and I'm enjoying fighting for that elusive red bar! I love how the story is continuing the story from previous years, but in a new way! Great work all around!

Also, I just wanted to say a big Thank You to TJ for the most wonderful and unexpected gift of all: CBs of years I, and others, have missed. I'm so excited to have these dragons from the cave.

9 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Well good for you but not everyone has that luxury.

The wall was gone by the time I woke up. I don't get what the big deal is. Not everyone hunts through the AP. I never do. I think the game needs to look at the needs of the many, instead of the demands of the few that are being inconvenienced.

1 minute ago, Condorflight said:

I mean, I forgot about Valentines when the Arsanis were released. If I had been on DC and seen a wall of those new I would have been very happy for sure! 

I missed those too.  I was checking all my Valentines yesterday to see which I need CB ones for in case we have a Valentines past CB biome.  The two oldest I only have one CB for as I released the second of each into the wild back ages ago when I wanted to get a frozen hatchling but the limit stopped me.  But I managed to miss the Arsanis entirely. I too would have been grateful for a wall.  I suspect there was one, as there are for most, if not all, holidays.  However, I have never seen one since my time zone means the walls come and go during the night. 

2 minutes ago, Karobb said:

If this is true, why in the world would it be a tragedy for them not to get a holiday egg?   That is the point I am missing here.   You missed a holiday drop due to more important things, so what?

Many people want holiday eggs from the year that they come out and will/would still be disappointed if they cannot have one. StarSea was being sarcastic, but there are people who do appreciate/benefit from the few hours of new holiday egg wall.