Story: birdzgoboom

Scroll Badges: PieMaster

News announcement graphic: Shajana

On-site announcement graphic : Shajana

Tetrominoes: Marrionetta, TCA

Board background: Shajana

Meters: Shajana

5 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

This really isn't something that needs to be "fixed", or at least it hasn't been in past years. This new-egg AP wall is not new, it's happened in past years as well. Often there is an actual thread on the forums with people gathering to catch-and-release so that people who have holiday obligations are still able to get them from the AP. The wall *will* go away, just wait a little while. Many people go out of town for the holidays and often don't have internet access at all, so "popping in" isn't an option. Others have obligations towards family, and not everyone's family is as understanding about needing to play a pixel game as some of ours. The AP wall is the only chance some people have for these eggs. I agree it may be a little excessive, but it will go away eventually. It's not the worst thing.

edit: Also, the eggs in the AP are already on Dec 26th, after only a handful of hours, so it shouldn't be all that much longer before the 27th ones cycle through as well, and then they'll be gone.

I totally agree with this. I don't see why we suddenly have to change practices. The holidays are a busy time and not everyone has 'two minutes' to 'pop in' and catch some eggs. Some people can also be dealing with family crisis or not have internet access because they're away, etc. This is once time a year, let's be fair to everyone. Things will go back to normal soon.

1 minute ago, jewel21 said:

I totally agree with this. I don't see why we suddenly have to change practices. The holidays are a busy time and not everyone has 'two minutes' to 'pop in' and catch some eggs. Some people can also be dealing with family crisis or not have internet access because they're away, etc. This is once time a year, let's be fair to everyone. Things will go back to normal soon.

Yeah, I also saw someone say they were expecting an ice storm and were expecting their power to be out over Christmas and were hoping for this. 

I understand why people are frustrated, but it's just a few hours, and there's other things to do. 

Just now, Karobb said:

If the drop was 1 day, yeah i would agree with you, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they used to be 1 day?

Not to my recollection. I've always remembered them being three days to be fair to everyone.

1 minute ago, Karobb said:

If the drop was 1 day, yeah i would agree with you, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they used to be 1 day?

It will be twice a year, since valentine cbs are also limited btw!

I think they've always been three days, Halloween drops are one day though, maybe that's what you're thinking of :)

1 minute ago, Marie19R said:

Many people go out of town for the holidays and often don't have internet access at all, so "popping in" isn't an option. Others have obligations towards family, and not everyone's family is as understanding about needing to play a pixel game as some of ours. The AP wall is the only chance some people have for these eggs.

None of that is actually true anymore. TJ basically fixed those problems on the other end. The cave is now so continuously flooded with eggs over a three-day period that people can easily catch eggs on their mobile phone. And anyone who is stuck at a rural relative's house with no cellphone reception all week long would not happen to be online tonight during the wall window either. The holiday biome TJ just created will be what brings relief to anyone who legit missed Christmas this year.

I don't think the wall is the worst thing either, but people really don't need to be "helpful" by intentionally creating it out of a mistaken belief that they are giving people with bad connections some kind of holiday present.

2 minutes ago, AppleMango said:

Yeah, I also saw someone say they were expecting an ice storm and were expecting their power to be out over Christmas and were hoping for this. 

I understand why people are frustrated, but it's just a few hours, and there's other things to do. 

Well someone let us know when it clears up and we can see how many hours it was, I for one can not stay up all night to check!   Hopefully it will be gone by the morning

Just now, Karobb said:

Well someone let us know when it clears up and we can see how many hours it was, I for one can not stay up all night to check!   Hopefully it will be gone by the morning

The point isn't really how long it is, it doesn't matter how long it is, there's other things to do. 

It's 5pm(ish) for me here, so if I pay enough attention to see when it ends, I'll let you know :P

1 minute ago, tjekan said:

None of that is actually true anymore. TJ basically fixed those problems on the other end. The cave is now so continuously flooded with eggs over a three-day period that people can easily catch eggs on their mobile phone. And anyone who is stuck at a rural relative's house with no cellphone reception all week long would not happen to be online tonight during the wall window either. The holiday biome TJ just created will be what brings relief to anyone who legit missed Christmas this year.

I don't think the wall is the worst thing either, but people really don't need to be "helpful" by intentionally creating it out of a mistaken belief that they are giving people with bad connections some kind of holiday present.

You're assuming that everyone has data on their phone. This isn't always the case. Data is expensive here in Canada. I pay $80 a month for my phone and I only get 1 GB of data. So, if you're me, you run out and then have to turn  your data off for a week until a new cycle begins, heh.

Just now, AppleMango said:

The point isn't really how long it is, it doesn't matter how long it is, there's other things to do. 

It's 5pm(ish) for me here, so if I pay enough attention to see when it ends, I'll let you know :P

Right its just another issue for TJ to find a solution to for next time, no big deal right?   Do you honesty believe these eggs are all going to get picked up by people who missed the 3 day drop?

8 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Just because more eggs drop in the cave doesn't mean what I said isn't true. Many people do indeed go away for the holidays and don't have internet access at all (and contrary to popular belief, not everyone owns an internet-capable cell phone!). It's currently the 28th (29th some places), which means that many people who didn't have internet access during the drops may indeed be able to be on now and catch those eggs. 

I'm not exactly a fan of this huge wall either, but just because it doesn't help me (or those posting in this thread) doesn't mean it doesn't help others.

edit: And I'm still not sure why some people seem to think this is something TJ is going to have to "fix"? The wall *will* go away, as it does every single holiday. It won't last even 12 hours, I'm betting. There is nothing so horrible or crippling about this wall that TJ needs to do something to "fix" it. We just have to be patient for a little while, that's all. There are plenty of other things to do, in the game and outside the game, while we wait.

Edited by Marie19R

1 minute ago, Marie19R said:

Just because more eggs drop in the cave doesn't mean what I said isn't true. Many people do indeed go away for the holidays and don't have internet access at all (and contrary to popular belief, not everyone owns an internet-capable cell phone!). It's currently the 28th (29th some places), which means that many people who didn't have internet access during the drops may indeed be able to be on now and catch those eggs. 

I'm not exactly a fan of this huge wall either, but just because it doesn't help me (or those posting in this thread) doesn't mean it doesn't help others.

I wish we could react to posts because exactly this. 

I wish I could keep looking for eggs like I was doing before the wall appeared, but I'd rather have to wait than have all these extra people miss out. It's not that big a deal that I'm going to get angry about it. 

10 minutes ago, Karobb said:

Why is everyone so sympathetic to the player base but not to the extra effort the site administrators will have to put in to clear this up?   No way do I believe this many people are going to suddenly appear and pick up these eggs

I myself can't fathom why we're so sympathetic to people who couldn't be bothered to take 5 minutes out of their day to grab two eggs in the first place. They had 3 days- and next year, they'll have a whole week.

Snowstorm or no snowstorm, most people still have mobile phones. And if you're talking about Eerie that got 26 inches or so, I don't think even the extra day or two blocking the AP will provide will be enough for them to get any.

(And no, not /everyone/ does own a phone, I myself don't, but my brother does, and that's one I could easily borrow for 5 minutes. Stop making excuses for people).

Heck, I still don't own a cellphone!  I have always understood why the Christmas drop has been three days. People are generally busy with family, friend or, in some cases, volunteering and away from any internet access. Christmas of all the holidays on DC should be the one that people can suddenly remember and pick up and egg or two without worry. While even I got a bit annoyed with the idea of three days of new Christmas dragons what I did was egglock myself with CBs before it was the 25th then grabbed two of the new eggs and didn't come back.

Patience is important during this time. And really? It is only going to be a day or so of this. There are plenty of caveborns to grab and breeding that can be done in the time that the AP is a wall of Garland dragons.

2 minutes ago, Condorflight said:

Heck, I still don't own a cellphone!  I have always understood why the Christmas drop has been three days. People are generally busy with family, friend or, in some cases, volunteering and away from any internet access. Christmas of all the holidays on DC should be the one that people can suddenly remember and pick up and egg or two without worry. While even I got a bit annoyed with the idea of three days of new Christmas dragons what I did was egglock myself with CBs before it was the 25th then grabbed two of the new eggs and didn't come back.

Patience is important during this time. And really? It is only going to be a day or so of this. There are plenty of caveborns to grab and breeding that can be done in the time that the AP is a wall of Garland dragons.

I'm not really complaining about the drop being 3 days, but I am complaining about people 'helping' and blocking the AP.

Any holiday hatchlings are trapped behind there, and so are the normal eggs from before and during the holiday that are now dying.

So the users took it upon themselves to make a 3 day drop into a 5 day drop, is that pretty much what is going on here?   I mean DC has been running for 10 years, do you not think they know what they are doing yet?

Just now, Dragon_Arbock said:

I myself can't fathom why we're so sympathetic to people who couldn't be bothered to take 5 minutes out of their day to grab two eggs in the first place. They had 3 days- and next year, they'll have a whole week.

Snowstorm or no snowstorm, most people still have mobile phones. And if you're talking about Eerie that got 26 inches or so, I don't think even the extra day or two blocking the AP will provide will be enough for them to get any.

(And no, not /everyone/ does own a phone, I myself don't, but my brother does, and that's one I could easily borrow for 5 minutes. Stop making excuses for people).

"can't fathom why we're so sympathetic to people"

it's... kind of the entire spirit of the holiday season on this entire site.  Ultimately, we're on a little game clicking pixels.  For some people, family is more important.  

To change the subject a little, I'm wondering if Valentine's dragons will be getting the same rerelease in the upcoming year?  I just came to the site again after hiatus, not sure if they already have!

People can think family is important and still want to be able to get the eggs when they are actually able to get onto the game. It's not really either-or. I don't understand why this is such a big deal. So what if some people can't get on during the drop, and others want to help them by dropping eggs to the AP? Why is that so horrible? The AP wall isn't hurting all that much. The *six* biomes are still dropping normal eggs, if you really can't wait a few hours to hunt. Why is it a bad thing that some people are trying to help those who missed out? Why can't we just be patient for a little while?

I would imagine so @Leilani. If only going off the trend of Halloween and Christmas. If so, I want some Sweetlings!

The wall can't be hurting us that much, this forum thread is alive and kicking. :rolleyes:
So yer not dying of boredom.

Edited by DorkJulian

Haha, true DorkJulian! The wall in the AP isn't hurting anyone, really!