Story: birdzgoboom

Scroll Badges: PieMaster

News announcement graphic: Shajana

On-site announcement graphic : Shajana

Tetrominoes: Marrionetta, TCA

Board background: Shajana

Meters: Shajana

42 minutes ago, Karobb said:

Right its just another issue for TJ to find a solution to for next time, no big deal right?   Do you honesty believe these eggs are all going to get picked up by people who missed the 3 day drop?

Except they evidently are getting picked up. :) You can tell because they're already the ones from the 26th.

Seriously, relax. It's not a problem. TJ doesn't need to code anything to work around this, it will clear up by itself.

You can coarsely guesstimate the magnitude of this yourself, even. Assume every tenth person tossed some of their eggs into the AP (to pick up a better code, or to assist people, or any other reason), which should be a guess on the (very) high side. Further assume that the average number of eggs dropped into the AP by people who tossed eggs into the AP was two (no clue how likely this is between the code-hunters, traders and assistants, but I reckon the people who dropped a lot into the AP are the minority amongst those who dropped eggs into the AP). This would mean less than 10% of the eggs that were picked up by the player base over a three day timespan are lingering in the AP (picked up! Not generated. There were way more generated).

90% of the playerbase would have had to have gotten CB new eggs for this to be a problem. I consider that a really high estimate - quite a few will have forgotten Dragon Cave exists over the holidays (even a few forum-goers have, as you can see in the Trading section), since few people are as invested in the game as the average forum-goer, and Christmas comes with other obligations. ==> These eggs are going to disappear. All of them. It's just a question of when (and judging by the date on the eggs, a few hours is all it's going to last, suggesting my guesstimate of how many eggs might be in the AP is too high).

This may be an inconvenience for some of us, but it's hardly a disaster.

(In regards to the unfortunately dying dragons behind the holiday wall, that's already been true approximately four to five days into the holiday breeding week, i.e. dying started around the 23rd at latest. There are suggestions to fix that since it's generally unfortunate, but a couple of extra hours aren't likely to make much of a difference in that regard.)

[ Edit: For the record, I don't care about the "dump eggs to the AP" practise either way - I do care when accusations fly around. ]

Edited by pinkgothic

To turn back to the actual topic of this post - I love the new Christmas dragons!!! They're so sleek and elegant, with lovely colours, and I have several breeding ideas.

Thank you to TJ, story writers, spriters and everybody else who might've helped making this holiday season awesome!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

This wall of eggs will also pass :)

16 minutes ago, AppleMango said:

I wish I could keep looking for eggs like I was doing before the wall appeared, but I'd rather have to wait than have all these extra people miss out. It's not that big a deal that I'm going to get angry about it. 

I haven't noticed anyone else who's angry about it either.

Not everyone believes that "all these extra people" who weren't online all week but are online tonight actually exist, though. I mean, if there really WERE all those extra people who needed eggs tonight, there would be no wall. The fact that the wall is sitting there at all tells us that yep, TJ's three-day drop was in fact the right length and the right easiness and everyone who wanted eggs this holiday was already able to get them, so no one has room for any more.

It's no skin off my nose. Eventually TJ will get rid of the excess eggs. But next year, this silly exercise of artificially extending the Christmas drop beyond the time that was intentionally planned to provide eggs to everyone does really not need to be repeated. The game admin already has the goal of making sure everyone can catch eggs at Christmas. It's not necessary for people to charge in to "help."

1 minute ago, Karobb said:

Okay, just to be clear, you are missing the point

The Wall is totally unnecessary and you are just causing more work for the site.   Not you personally, I mean the general you!   You have decided that DC has no clue how to run these things and have decided to turn a 3 day drop into a 5 day drop.   Does that not seem a bit disrespectful to you? Or do you imagine there is a magic button to clear the AP and it will not involve any work for anyone?

Why do you find it disrespectful? The community does quite a few things in this category. The Dragon Cave Community Notice Board thread is essentially a second AP (arguably not necessary). Trading in general has a different perception of rarity than the game itself has (arguably people are doing it wrong). The "Bite" BSA is used to gamble-bypass the 5 hour CB abandon cooldown (risky, of course, but still - it wasn't intended to be used like this at all). The game mechanics aren't an end to themselves. Some things are emergent as people play the game. This is one of them.

The AP wall *is* moving, I've been staring at it and refreshing and the eggs are getting picked up. Already the first 24-hours+ of egg-drops are gone, so there are definitely people picking them up. 

I'm about ready to call it a night because I think my sick-brain is interfering with my ability to play this puzzle game. Either that or I'm just getting all the really hard ones.

6 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

. Some things are emergent as people play the game. This is one of them.

Emergent means this can change yet again, no?  

Edited by Karobb

13 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

People can think family is important and still want to be able to get the eggs when they are actually able to get onto the game. It's not really either-or. I don't understand why this is such a big deal. So what if some people can't get on during the drop, and others want to help them by dropping eggs to the AP? Why is that so horrible? The AP wall isn't hurting all that much. The *six* biomes are still dropping normal eggs, if you really can't wait a few hours to hunt. Why is it a bad thing that some people are trying to help those who missed out? Why can't we just be patient for a little while?

Judging by the amount of new Christmas eggs in the AP, all coming in at the same time, that wall isn't about people trying to help those who missed out, it's about people deliberately building a wall. And don't tell me to hunt in the six biomes. I don't want regular eggs, I want the 2G and other bred Christmas eggs and hatchlings that should be available in the AP right now. No one can even speculate about when the CB Christmases will be gone because no one but the people who built that wall know how many Christmas CBs were throw into the AP. 

I highly highly doubt people are soo busy with family that they don't even have 5 minutes to themselves to catch some eggs. All you are is enabling people to be lazy and irresponsible, while inhibiting the rest of us, and killing all the non-holiday eggs trapped behind them.

There most likely are very few, if any, bred Christmas eggs left in the AP. The wall is now showing eggs from the 26th, which is past the time that Christmas eggs were breedable. The only Christmas eggs left would be ones that people decided to throw back very late in the game. It's not like a wall of bred-Christmases is hiding behind these eggs. If past holidays are anything to go by, when this wall is over it will be a few Christmas hatchlings and then ER-timed regular eggs.

I am absolutely fine with the wall. It gives me time to have some hatchies grow up and make room for hunting again. :D

4 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I highly highly doubt people are soo busy with family that they don't even have 5 minutes to themselves to catch some eggs. All you are is enabling people to be lazy and irresponsible, while inhibiting the rest of us, and killing all the non-holiday eggs trapped behind them.

It's unfortunate that you think that people not having internet access, or prioritizing their family before a pixel game, makes them lazy and irresponsible. I personally don't think that people should have to choose between family and getting some pixel dragons. They can have both, and the AP wall is helping with that. I'm sorry that you feel this wall is so detrimental to your enjoyment of the game, but not everyone sees it that way.

Edited by Marie19R

2 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

There most likely are very few, if any, bred Christmas eggs left in the AP. The wall is now showing eggs from the 26th, which is past the time that Christmas eggs were breedable. The only Christmas eggs left would be ones that people decided to throw back very late in the game. It's not like a wall of bred-Christmases is hiding behind these eggs. If past holidays are anything to go by, when this wall is over it will be a few Christmas hatchlings and then ER-timed regular eggs.

And you know this because.............

I've picked up 2 and 3 day eggs and hatchlings on other holidays, so it's a good bet this holiday would be the same.

This wall is becoming a regular thing on DC after the holiday time. And really, its okay. There are just some ER eggs and hatchies behind the wall. This will all be gone soon.

4 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

It's unfortunate that you think that people not having internet access, or prioritizing their family before a pixel game, makes them lazy and irresponsible. I personally don't think that people should have to choose between family and getting some pixel dragons. They can have both, and the AP wall is helping with that. I'm sorry that you feel this wall is so detrimental to your enjoyment of the game, but not everyone sees it that way.

Where are all these people then, the ones with no internet access, and family obligations? The ones who couldn't take two minutes to grab two eggs. Why aren't they picking up the eggs now?

2 minutes ago, TheScorpionKing said:

Where are all these people then, the ones with no internet access, and family obligations? The ones who couldn't take two minutes to grab two eggs. Why aren't they picking up the eggs now?

I'm confused. Who do you think is picking up the eggs?

9 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

Never mind then

Edited by Karobb

Just now, pinkgothic said:

Nobody is picking them up. If they were we wouldn't still have a wall.....

Um.... The eggs are being picked up. As I said, I've been there refreshing, and eggs are disappearing from the AP. It may not look like it because more of the same take their place, but there are indeed people picking them up, as evidenced by the codes not being in the AP five minutes later.

3 minutes ago, TheScorpionKing said:

They are picking up the eggs. Two hours ago it was blocked full of 4d eggs, and now they're already up to 4d18 eggs.

If you all are so intent on clearing them out, add them to hatcheries that can take codes like Valley Sherwood or Silvi's Lair, or even just sit and let the viewer go for a while. I've been adding all the ER codes I can to Valley Sherwood myself to help them hatch faster and make them more appealing to be picked up.

Honestly, this wall is significantly better than the one from Halloween was. The new garland wall hasn't even been here that long, and you can clearly see it moving. Just chill and let other people who need it enjoy it. None of this is really that serious, guys. It's just a game. 

1 minute ago, tigryonak said:

Honestly, this wall is significantly better than the one from Halloween was. The new garland wall hasn't even been here that long, and you can clearly see it moving. Just chill and let other people who need it enjoy it. None of this is really that serious, guys. It's just a game. 

Except on Halloween we were not limited and could pick the eggs up?  But yeah that was brutal

And does it really matter? Will one day (if that) of a cave blocked AP hurt the entire experience of so many people? 

Truer words couldn't be spoken @tigryonak.

Edited by Condorflight

Happy holidays as usual for DC (Halloween is ironically the most friendly of the holidays because people aren't screeching the word "selfish" about limits and hollies and all that pixel nonsense)

it's not the debate that I don't like (because I can't stand the people that freak out over a debate over a simple disagreement) but it's how awful the DC community is about it, especially when it comes to the holidays, ironic isn't it? The holidays which are designed to bring joy and friendship mostly just result in people flinging insults at one another.

On one side you have the people defending the inactive, since not everyone has the chance

Catching is very easy by the 3rd day and would take maybe 5 minutes and given that the wall has lasted this is obviously a very small minority.

On the other side you have the people frustrated that their game-play has been completely walled (pun intended) off from them so that a small amount of people can get their holidays.

Not everyone is active and things like snow and relatives can indeed make it impossible to get a moment of internet access and just because the few are well - few doesn't mean there shouldn't be CBs on the AP

I say this wall is a lot but it will probably go away, I myself am kind of annoyed since holidays only come around for about a week or so and then you're done so most (myself included) want to get as many as humanly possible but i'm not too upset, it was bound to happen.

I was planning on getting more Solstice, Ribbon Dancers, Snow Angels and Ageis but whatever, it was probably just the messy ones anyway, the things that sit mixed in the the occasional haystack-needle of a nicely lineaged holiday here and there.

I do hope the wall waters down though.

Edited by blockEdragon

23 minutes ago, Condorflight said:

And does it really matter? Is one day (if that) of cave blocked AP hurt the entire experience of so many people? 

Truer words couldn't be spoken @tigryonak.

Ugh, I give up, logic is not a thing!

Edited by Karobb