Story: birdzgoboom

Scroll Badges: PieMaster

News announcement graphic: Shajana

On-site announcement graphic : Shajana

Tetrominoes: Marrionetta, TCA

Board background: Shajana

Meters: Shajana

3 minutes ago, Karobb said:

The only people getting huffy are the pro wall builders, the rest of us are being quite logical and non-emotional

Far be it from me to suggest people can not do as they please to feel better about themselves, regardless of whether it is miss placed altruism

Really? It doesn't sound very logical and non-emotional to me when people continue to complain about a wall that lasted less than 6 hours-- 1/4 of a day--even after the wall is gone, and confronted with 1st person accounts of multiple people who benefited from once-a-year eggs, as opposed to missing out on eggs that are common and breedable 365 days of a year.

A couple months ago I spent over a month naming my backlog of over 700 unnamed dragons, that was a chore! I've more or less kept up on it since then, only need to name all my recent holidays, which I'm doing right now. Keep needing to double-check to remember if I have specific naming schemes for any of the holiday breeds, though.

31 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

I finally completely a hard puzzle! Why does that make me so happy? 

Congrats!!! :)   I've tried bumping up to hard twice now.  I flipped, rotated, turned up, then down those pieces many, MANY times and both times after numerous tries I bowed to the puzzle, admitted I truly was not worthy and backed away. Now I just stick with medium, but only a specific one that I get to come up after clicking on the new puzzle option. I OWN that one medium puzzle! :lol:

Edited by jocosa

Perhaps a mod can move all the ap dumping related posts to a new thread, obviously does not belong in this topic and probably deserves its own discussion!  

15 minutes ago, Karobb said:

The only people getting huffy are the pro wall builders, the rest of us are being quite logical and non-emotional

Far be it from me to suggest people can not do as they please to feel better about themselves, regardless of whether it is miss placed altruism

No offense intended, but you honestly sound like one of the most emotional people here. The people arguing that the wall was not a big deal are actually being perfectly logical about it. Many reasons that the wall exists were presented and you're exclusively focused on the few who drop eggs in case someone missed the three-day drop. I really don't see why you're so angry about a few hours during which you couldn't hunt the AP but could have done basically anything else.

Eta: If you don't think the AP discussion belongs here, why are you still taking about it here instead of creating a Site Discussion thread about it?

Edited by LibbyLishly

48 minutes ago, Karobb said:

1.  Holiday eggs drop for 3 days, constantly, without lag from prior years

2.  Past holidays are now available if you miss them

3.  Normal eggs/hatchies die behind this wall because holidays are prioritized in the AP

Stopping AP dumping would not stop normal egg/hatchling death by virtue of there being a week of holiday breeding to go though. Cutting 4 hours out of a 3 day block doesn't seem effective. It would be more effective to limit holiday breeding, like 2 per clutch for all holidays or something similar. That would make the total wall shorter, and quicker to go through.

Can't say anything about the lag.

And there are players who would prefer getting the the new holiday dragon sooner rather waiting a year, and unlike traditional releases, which are available year round, Holidays have a comparably shorter window of opportunity. Of course if you missed it, you missed it, but sometimes it's not thr player's fault. AP dumping of the new eggs allows thm to get those eggs without a year long wait.

- Honestly the same logic applies to breeding holidays, but I'm not seeing the same complaints of limiting Holiday breeding.

34 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

We know it's permanent- Starscream confirmed it,

@Shokomon Disabling the use of a site feature for 99% of the users isn't a bad thing?

I am assuming you mean the AP. So, are you saying you don't agree with AP dumping because it disables the AP for people at egg limit?

Technically, The AP wasn't disabled. Eggs were picked up. If the AP was disabled, then it would be complete non functional. No code changes in the AP at all. The wall of holidays would still be here, sitting unmoved as their timers decreases towards egg death. Sure if you had the new holidays then you couldn't pick up more, but it wasn't like the AP wasn't working at all.

Also, how do you know it was 99% of the users? How did you calculate that? We don't have any hard numbers over how many people picked up new holidays eggs during the 3 day window versus people who missed out. We don't even have numbers on how many people actively use the site! That's an abitrary and unhelpful number.

What we can say that approx 4 hours out of an approximately 3 day period of the Holiday wall was solely new Holidays. That's 4 hr out of 72 hrs or 5.55% of the Holiday wall time period. Is that an unfair amount of time to give people who missed the actual drop a chance to grab the eggs without waiting a year? 

(For where I got my numbers, see my preivous post fot the Holiday time line.)

Edit: I actually did mention that if you guys thought AP Dumping was that much of a concern, you should make a thread for in the Site Discussions or in the Suggestions section if you have a game changing solution, but no one listened to me.

Edited by Shokomon
Adding link and a comment

99% is highly unlikely anyway since the game is played worldwide and I very much doubt that there is ever a time when 99% of even the active players are all online at once due to the simple fact of time zones. 

7 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

It would be more effective to limit holiday breeding, like 2 per clutch for all holidays or something similar. That would make the total wall shorter, and quicker to go through.

this could actually help, instead of having closer to 5-7 eggs appearing over each bred holiday. just breeding each cb separately could equal around 88+ eggs right now if each one gives 4 eggs.

just imagine the numbers if even as little as 20 players breed every holiday like that. :blink:

Edited by reddof-f6

24 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

so everything would be better for everybody if people just never dropped CBs or CB holidays ever again right?

absolutely no one, on an entire site of 1000+ users, benefits from the small inconvenient wall?

Not nobody, but if only 1% of the userbase does, then there's no point to it. Why cater to them and only them?

When I made a suggestion that I should be allowed to unfreeze my old frozen CB holidays, that's 'elitist'- but pandering to a few users who missed this year's drop isn't? Especially when they can get them again next year. There's no need for an AP wall any longer.

And I'm sure 1% is even a high estimate,. It's probably even lower than that.

Just now, Dragon_Arbock said:

Not nobody, but if only 1% of the userbase does, then there's no point to it. Why cater to them and only them?

When I made a suggestion that I should be allowed to unfreeze my old frozen CB holidays, that's 'elitist'- but pandering to a few users who missed this year's drop isn't? Especially when they can get them again next year. There's no need for an AP wall any longer.

And I'm sure 1% is even a high estimate,. It's probably even lower than that.

because it makes people happy to be gifted the opportunity.

one gives a temporary inconvenience while the other is a major game changer that's permanent. it makes your choices count when freezing something. you cant really compare the two.

Going through my holiday haul and getting very excited over how many long/messy lineages I was able to trade for. Multiple 15+ gens, multiple inbreds, even multiple Dorkfaces! This may have been my most successful holiday on DC yet.

32 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

because it makes people happy to be gifted the opportunity.

one gives a temporary inconvenience while the other is a major game changer that's permanent. it makes your choices count when freezing something. you cant really compare the two.

I can compare the two, because the rules were different back then. The game changed to allow ownership of more than two of a breed. Several users, including myself, got screwed for years after.

The wall really isn’t worth fighting over. I was bummed it happened because I had to go to bed and missed the hatchie wall, but it wasn’t the end of the world. It cleared up eventually, as always, and there were other ways to spend the time on DC or elsewhere for the time it took. Likewise, while it did help some who missed the release, CB Holidays are now returning releases, so it’s not so horrible to miss out now. A certain one year wait is much better than ten uncertain ones! XD 

So no point bothering about it, it wasn’t a big deal either way. Although I do enjoy the Miyazaki meme it has spawned :D 

I've gone to the dark side... ie, I've switched to putting my puzzles towards the fire side. I'd like to see the bar turn red at least once! 

Just now, Marie19R said:

I've gone to the dark side... ie, I've switched to putting my puzzles towards the fire side. I'd like to see the bar turn red at least once! 

Wooooo, welcome to the fire side, Marie! We have cookies!

1 hour ago, jocosa said:

Congrats!!! :)   I've tried bumping up to hard twice now.  I flipped, rotated, turned up, then down those pieces many, MANY times and both times after numerous tries I bowed to the puzzle, admitted I truly was not worthy and backed away. Now I just stick with medium, but only a specific one that I get to come up after clicking on the new puzzle option. I OWN that one medium puzzle! :lol:

I'm with you on this, done exactly the same, tried and tried but gave up on the hard.  Grateful that the same one can be found in Medium each time when the others just don't fit, maybe we share the same puzzle :)

Edited by owned by toys

5 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I can compare the two, because the rules were different back then. The game changed to allow ownership of more than two of a breed. Several users, including myself, got screwed for years after.

and yet you still got a chance to re catch whatever for every other day of the year.

but i do believe freezing should be reversible, especially since "permanent" things like death or zombification arnt so permanent anymore. however it cant be a free skip, has to have some threat like zombification does with failure chances.

Edited by reddof-f6

1 hour ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

We know it's permanent- Starscream confirmed it,

@Shokomon Disabling the use of a site feature for 99% of the users isn't a bad thing?

Jesus are you REALLY that addicted to the pixels that you cant go do household chores/read a book/etc for a few hours while the ap clears out? 

Also...99% of the users? If that is so why do I only see about 5 users, including yourself, whining? Are you saying dc is only played by 6 people?!? 

I like hunting the ap wall...once it becomes a wall of stuff I dont want/ cant grab I go to bed/read a book/play other online games/hunt cbs. Heck last night I managed to grab the first cb copper id seen in ages! I play on a mobile phone so managing that cb copper was a nice surprise. 

Besides who cares if you cant hunt ap for a day or two? Its not like you wont ever be able to hunt it again. I mean seriously we have 3 holiday drops a year ...thats what maybe 2 days tops of limited cb breed walls. Out of 365 days I think you can find something to do for TWO DAYS and be HAPPY and THANKFUL that we get such lovely dragons and enjoyable events. If you dont like it? Grab what holiday eggs you want and then take a dang break because you seemingly need one.

6 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

Welcome to the soldiers of flame!

We have hot chocolate and fresh baked cookies to ward off the cold. 

9 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

you monster! treason! >:v

21 minutes ago, owned by toys said:

I'm with you on this, done exactly the same, tried and tried but gave up on the hard.  Grateful that the same one can be found in Medium each time when the others just don't fit, maybe we share the same puzzle :)

Mostly all L's and a couple straights? :lol:   I just tried one more time on a hard that looked easy, all L's, 1 square and a zig zag. That's it, easy peasy.  Hahahahaha, not even close. Back to spending quality time with my 1 beloved medium puzzle. I will never stray from you again!

ETA- Are there banners made yet for either team? Team Fire, all the way! :)

Edited by jocosa

I find with the hard ones I either get it straight away or am stuck on it for ages.  Currently waiting to submit another one.  

Go Team FIRE!