Jump to content
TJ09

2017-12-25 - Happy Holidays

purpledragonclaw

Event credits:

 

Story: birdzgoboom

Scroll Badges: PieMaster

News announcement graphic: Shajana

On-site announcement graphic : Shajana

Tetrominoes: Marrionetta, TCA

Board background: Shajana

Meters: Shajana

Message added by purpledragonclaw

Recommended Posts

I think that having a line of non-Holiday eggs in the AP would solve the issue here. I understand that it can be frustrating to have open slots but be unable to grab anything, especially when there are incuhatchable eggs behind the Holidays, but it's just as important to allow people a second chance to grab CBs they may have missed. No one is right or wrong here. It all depends on play style.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, StarSea said:

No, they might not but that's the key word. Might because you know they very well may make it. Would you rather those extra two days be cave blocking days too? Or just AP blocking days?

 

And just because they're going to return next year doesn't mean it'll be easy to pick them up by any means. And again, TJ has specifically stated he wants these guys to encourage giving. Telling people "You missed the three day drop? Well sucks for you!" and "Oh my god I can't get low time regular eggs because others were worried for you" aren't in the spirit at all.

Oh boo hoo- why not make a permanent all-year round holiday biome people can grab from cause oh, we have to be accommodating to everyone- what about poor Jimmy who's in a  coma until January?
We need to draw the line somewhere- TJ is already doing more than enough to help people. Would you like it to go back to one-day drop only and no holiday biome because people have to abuse it?

 

@jewel21 Luxury? This game is a luxury, family is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, The Dragoness said:

I think that having a line of non-Holiday eggs in the AP would solve the issue here. I understand that it can be frustrating to have open slots but be unable to grab anything, especially when there are incuhatchable eggs behind the Holidays, but it's just as important to allow people a second chance to grab CBs they may have missed. No one is right or wrong here. It all depends on play style.

Why, exactly is this so important?   If TJ felt we needed more days, the eggs would drop more days, why do the users know better?

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Karobb said:

If this is true, why in the world would it be a tragedy for them not to get a holiday egg?   That is the point I am missing here.   You missed a holiday drop due to more important things, so what?

The "so what" is that presumably those more important things have been resolved (for better or worse) and you now do have the chance to get your new cb eggs. If things went wrong, the AP wall of the cbs could be comforting to someone to know they didn't completely lose another thing in their life. Tragedies happen and we all cope in our own ways, and having that chance to pick up even just one of something you thought you missed could be a world of happiness for someone having a terrible time in the season of cheer.

Share this post


Link to post

Ultimately, the wall is not a big deal. TJ should not need to do anything to "fix" it. It moved. I went to bed with it there and woke up to almost 4 day common eggs. The userbase is creative and tossed codes into hatcheries to get them out of the way when it seemed they weren't going to be picked up fast enough by people who missed the release. Who cares why they were abandoned? They moved. I really don't see why everyone needs to be so dramatic about this.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Karobb said:

Why, exactly is this so important?   If TJ felt we needed more days, the eggs would drop more days, why do the users know better?

Because if TJ decided we need more days of holidays we would have more days of biomes of nothing but holidays, instead of the few hours in the AP it was now. Wouldn't that be fun?

Edited by Shadowdrake

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Shadowdrake said:

Because if TJ decided we need more days of holidays we would have more days of biomes of nothing but holidays, instead of the few hours it was now. Wouldn't that be fun?

The point here being, this practice is totally unnecessary, all it seems to be doing is feeding people's false sense of altruism imo.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyway

 

I really like the adults! I think they're gonna be tied with Mistletoes now as my favorite Christmas dragon. Ready to do some lineages with 'em :D

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Shadowdrake said:

Because if TJ decided we need more days of holidays we would have more days of biomes of nothing but holidays, instead of the few hours in the AP it was now. Wouldn't that be fun?

Considering we now have a dedicated holiday biome, move the holiday drop to there, make the drop 5 days, and make eggs unable to be abandoned. Problem actually solved without users interfering.

 

And to the code hunters- bite and kill are options.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Oh boo hoo- why not make a permanent all-year round holiday biome people can grab from cause oh, we have to be accommodating to everyone- what about poor Jimmy who's in a  coma until January?
We need to draw the line somewhere- TJ is already doing more than enough to help people. Would you like it to go back to one-day drop only and no holiday biome because people have to abuse it?

The line is already drawn. And that's at 11:59pm on the 3rd.

 

If you want to assume there'll be a hatchie wall, even then the absolute hard limit is still the 10th/11th. Wiki says stun wears off on APing but I don't know if that includes the added day or not, but even if it doesn't, you wouldn't find them past the 11th so. There is your hard limit ;)

Edited by StarSea
My bad time goes forward not backwards lmao

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, tigryonak said:

eggs.png.f8b385487c12053f8cabda7d8f870575.png

 

So I guess that's done now. Hopefully this means that a good many people were able to get the new garlands this year!

(also, regular eggs look so weird now)

 

Regular eggs totally looked weird for a moment when I came back online this morning! After the AP being filled with only a few specific holiday breeds for so long, the jumble of different colors and so many different breeds looked out of place, lol.

 

I think DragonCave is a game that some people are very passionate about, but we all need to remember that the game doesn't cater to us specifically (and shouldn't). There will *always* be something going on in the game that will inconvenience some and benefit others, whether it be an AP wall that some don't like or can't grab, a new release that floods and then becomes scarce, raffles that only a very small percentage of users will win, etc etc... This game is not made for any specific person. Some users did indeed benefit from that AP wall, and since it lasted less then 20 hours it didn't actually break the game in any real way, it simply inconvenienced some people who were so intent on hunting the AP. It happens. People get inconvenienced all the time, it's not the end of the world, and it's nothing that needs to be "fixed" or "changed". If DC was a game that was supposed to be totally fair for every single person, we wouldn't have the raffles at all, and people asking for an arm and a leg for a CB Gold wouldn't be allowed. Sometimes things happen on here that I don't like, too, and when that happens I will push a Suggestion to change it, or just buckle up and realize that just because I don't like it doesn't mean no one else likes it either.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

Ultimately, the wall is not a big deal. TJ should not need to do anything to "fix" it. It moved. I went to bed with it there and woke up to almost 4 day common eggs. The userbase is creative and tossed codes into hatcheries to get them out of the way when it seemed they weren't going to be picked up fast enough by people who missed the release. Who cares why they were abandoned? They moved. I really don't see why everyone needs to be so dramatic about this.

 

Agree completely. Now this thread is just fun to read and laugh at. 

 

But seriously. The wall was there for a few hours, so what? No one’s scroll exploded in that time. It’s okay for people to abandon new holiday dragons. Nothing says you can’t!

Edited by Condorflight

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

 

I think DragonCave is a game that some people are very passionate about, but we all need to remember that the game doesn't cater to us specifically (and shouldn't). There will *always* be something going on in the game that will inconvenience some and benefit others, whether it be an AP wall that some don't like or can't grab, a new release that floods and then becomes scarce, raffles that only a very small percentage of users will win, etc etc... This game is not made for any specific person. Some users did indeed benefit from that AP wall, and since it lasted less then 20 hours it didn't actually break the game in any real way, it simply inconvenienced some people who were so intent on hunting the AP. It happens. People get inconvenienced all the time, it's not the end of the world, and it's nothing that needs to be "fixed" or "changed". If DC was a game that was supposed to be totally fair for every single person, we wouldn't have the raffles at all, and people asking for an arm and a leg for a CB Gold wouldn't be allowed. Sometimes things happen on here that I don't like, too, and when that happens I will push a Suggestion to change it, or just buckle up and realize that just because I don't like it doesn't mean no one else likes it either.

 

It's a game- a game can be reprogrammed to be better, unlike life.

I have some suggestions, but not that anyone would listen. I do not think that the the Cave nor AP should ever be blocked from giving out its normal eggs.

Holiday biome exists now. Make all holidays drop from there only. 19th to the 24th- past eggs. 25th to the 30th, new eggs. Make a line of non-holiday eggs always accessible in the AP at all times.

 

And the raffle dragons were absolutely a mistake.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Share this post


Link to post

Well to make you all feel better about yourselves and "help" me out, for Valentines, I am going to ignore the holiday drop and use my egg slots for something else, knowing that at the end I can just pick up some ER eggs that were caught on the 14th!

 

Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post

Good heavens- the wall is gone, why is the salt still flowing? It started after I logged out for the day yesterday and was gone long before I logged back in today- the game didn't come to a grinding halt. All the eggs were picked up- obviously there were enough people who wanted them and could take them to deal with it. Otherwise, they'd have sat there until they died. I'm sure the people who picked them up appreciated the people who took the time to throw some to the AP, regardless of what their circumstances were or why they didn't check in during the drop- that really isn't any of our business and it doesn't do any good to speculate about it. I really doubt that the percentage of people who care that the AP was blocked for a few hours is higher than the percentage of people who are happy to see someone not have to wait a year to get something they missed or start on their lineage projects with these. Things happen- it's not our place to scrutinize someone for being late to the party just because we were on time. Yes, the wall was built on purpose- and it served that purpose, because now it's gone. I can't fathom getting angry enough about one person helping another that I'd be raging about it well after the fact because GOOD HEAVENS there are pixels blocked behind the other pixels. 

 

The wall was built to help people who couldn't or didn't grab any during the release. It did exactly that. It's gone. If TJ decides that something needs to change, it'll change. Insulting the people grabbing the eggs or the people who kicked eggs for them to grab accomplishes exactly nothing aside from making people look petty and petulant over the fact that the game isn't designed to cater to them 100% of the time. 

 

People who kicked the eggs probably feel good that they kicked the eggs and helped someone. People who picked the eggs up probably feel good that someone cared enough to put an egg out there that they wanted. Just let other people be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Karobb said:

Well to make you all feel better about yourselves and "help" me out, for Valentines, I am going to ignore the holiday drop and use my egg slots for something else, knowing that at the end I can just pick up some ER eggs that were caught on the 14th!

 

Thanks guys!

Honestly, this. 

I don't want to hear people say 'oh think of so and so who had obligations'- they're not your shield, you know. If people have actual first-hand accounts, like Jaezki, I will respect that. But most of you are inventing fictional people in fictional circumstances who don't exist as an excuse for why blocking the AP is a 'good' thing.

Share this post


Link to post

Gee wiz these guys sure are swell. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Daypaw said:

Good heavens- the wall is gone, why is the salt still flowing?

It not salt, its trying to instill logic, which obviously is not working!  Plain and simple the practice is simply no longer necessary.  Things change and practices should/can change with them!

Edited by Karobb

Share this post


Link to post

I'm very disappointed to see the argument pick back up in the morning.   It was nice for a few hours there.  :dry:

Anyway, does anyone else think the bar is filling faster this morning?  Are there more of us playing, or do you think TJ changed the amount each puzzle is worth?  I hope so!  We're already at 42%.

Edited by Gryphonic

Share this post


Link to post

Just because *you* think the practice is unnecessary does not mean that it must be abolished. What's the most harm it ever did? Make you wait 4.5 hours for the wall to dissipate? Is that really so bad? The wall tradition does help people, however "unworthy" of help you may think they are. We know because they have said so. We also know because the wall was gone in a few hours.

 

The tradition of creating an AP wall is something that the playerbase simply came up with because it would be fun for them to do. Abandoning eggs to hunt for codes is also another thing that players do because it is fun. You say that these things harm the game because they make it less enjoyable, but wouldn't removing the ability for these players to do something they think is fun also harm the overall enjoyment of the game? Just because it happens to someone else instead of you doesn't mean it's the better option.

 

The suggestion to make eggs unabandonable was raised, to make it so that players would be unable to code hunt. Sorry, but I cannot get behind this at all. It's fine that you don't care about codes when you play DC, but others do. To say that their method of enjoying the game is invalid or should be banned because it's not your way of playing the game is nothing short of selfish. Imagine if TJ actually implemented that change.  What would that say about him and how much he cares about his players?

 

Again, let me go back to the big point that the wall only existed for around 4 hours. Yes, while it was there you could not get to the AP to find holidays, but now that it is gone, there are no lasting detrimental effects and you don't have to think of it any more. However, the lasting positive effects remain for a very long time. And think, all you had to do was wait for 4.5 hours and it would all be over...

 

The suggestion that there should be a line of different eggs in the AP to accommodate for both types of players are good suggestions, but the arguments some of you make are purely selfish. The best solutions are those that consider other people and their interests, and keep both yourself and them in mind. I support the change to the AP, but not making new release eggs unabandonable. 

Edited by tkt1780

Share this post


Link to post

Good gracious what’s even happening anymore? I don’t understand why this is such a huge fight. The wall is gone now. You can get your eggs. I went to bed late last night, no wall. I woke up at like 10:30, no wall. Heck, I didn’t know there was a wall at all until I read through this thread.

I understand that it’s frustrating to you that you weren’t able to get eggs for a few hours. 

What I don’t get is why people are saying there’s something that needs to be fixed.

The wall was annoying for the people that wanted to AP hunt, yes. But it’s gone now. It moved, like every other wall does. Why are we still fighting about it?

Edited by EmmaD333

Share this post


Link to post

I don't get it either, except for people wanting to complain about something. I just hunted in the biomes that whole time, lol.

Share this post


Link to post

Omg people stop being salty. Maybe TJ should say "screw you guys" and just close down DC. No matter what he does someone ALWAYS has to whine and insist he fixes it to THEIR standards...even if 99.9% of the user base is completely happy with the game/event/release. Heck he even tweaked the holiday biome ratios! Which allowed more people to get hollies! 

 

You can wait an extra day or so for the holiday wall to clear in ap. After all if it hangs around too long TJ will (and I believe has in the past) nuke the holidays in the ap so the low time stuff can show up. 

 

Have to wonder who peed in y'alls cheerios to be so upset over dang pixel dragons? Did santa give you coal or something?

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Condorflight said:

I don't get it either, except for people wanting to complain about something. I just hunted in the biomes that whole time, lol.

Some people just feel like everyone else needs to play the game the exact same way they do, apparently.

 

*Aggressively pokes the mana bar* C'mon, turn red! Turn red!

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.