Obscure_Trash

Differentiated Egg for Two-Headed Dragons

I did say it was for funzies, not for serious. You're doing fine, I just wanted to point out a couple things and used the not for serious egg to clearly illustrate my point.

I did say it was for funzies, not for serious. You're doing fine, I just wanted to point out a couple things and used the not for serious egg to clearly illustrate my point.

Okay, I'm working on a bunch of new ones that are two pixels wider. I'll edit this post when I finish them.

EDIT:

Here's a chart:

user posted image

The top eggs are the normal egg outline. Also, FBF means it's the egg made by Fiona BlueFire.

If there're any questions about what I've done, please ask. I'm happy to help and I'm really enjoying working on these eggs.

Edited by Vrack

I like the idea of making the egg wider, but not too sure about the indents. What does Fiona's egg look like if you reverse the indent, but keep the rest of the egg the same? Otherwise I think 15 or 16 are my favourites

What does Fiona's egg look like if you reverse the indent, but keep the rest of the egg the same?

If you did that you'd get something very similar to 10. However, that's not exactly what it'd look like so I'll make a version like that as soon as I get the chance.

I really am not fond of the eggs with indents. They look more like upside-down apples than eggs. wink.gif I agree with Prince_Xanthius -- I like 15 or 16. They are wider, while still retaining an egg shape.

Honestly though I don't care whether or not there is an egg change, I really don't care for the ones with indents(I am aware the first was done for fun). They just seem... odd. And not in a good way.

Edited by Nectaris

I can tell at a glance that pygmies are a different breeding group. Drakes aren't as obvious, but any DR-going member whose read the characteristics or any sharp-eyed observant on the forum could probably tell drakes are going to be a different group, too. ;p

I don't think it's evident with every pygmy. Right now I have magelight hatchies next to a few other random green dragon hatchies and they look quite similar size-wise. So, too, do the seawyrm pygmies and yellow-crowned hatchies in size. It's more variable than two headeds, which, well, always have two heads. xd.png

I mean I certainly wouldn't object to new eggs (I've long pined for round eggs, actually, although more as normal egg variations than a specific type!), I just don't think they're as necessary as the pygmy/drake eggs are.

Honestly though I don't care whether or not there is an egg change, I really don't care for the ones with indents(I am aware the first was done for fun).  They just seem... odd.  And not in a good way.

The indented versions that I made were mainly to see if I could exaggerate the indent and make it look nice and/or natural. I definitely don't think that's the case at all and don't think the extremely indented outlines should be used. I'm glad that I showed everyone what they look like so that they'd know they don't look good instead of being left wondering.

I like the idea of making the egg wider, but not too sure about the indents. What does Fiona's egg look like if you reverse the indent, but keep the rest of the egg the same? Otherwise I think 15 or 16 are my favourites

Here is what that looks like:

user posted image

As you can see, it's fairly similar to 10 but with less roundness. In my opinion, it's too similar to the original. I like rounder outlines like 6, 10, and 12. However, there're also some good ones that aren't as round like 15 & 16.

If anyone sees a bottom and top they'd like to see combined from all of the outlines that I've done, please let me know and I'll gladly combine them. If we find a set of features we really like, it's really easy to combine them into one outline.

Edited by Vrack

Actually, I quite like 17 there. Yes, it's similar to the original egg, which I think is actually good. But it's also enough different that to me at least it's apparent at once that it's wider. Your 15 and 16 aren't bad either. At least they're definitely egg shaped. Your rounder ones do not look like eggs to me.

I'd be fine with the eggs of this "class" staying the same. Any modifications to the design while managing to keep the typical egg shape are minimal at best...when the egg is fully shaded the differences in shape will be even less noticeable.

Edited by Ashywolf

I tried the split egg template on Vrack's #16, and I find the difference noticeable, but not glaringly obvious. Which I think is fine as it is.

Left is the original, right Vrack's 16.

(I hope I don't step on any spriter's toes with borrowing the split egg for this.)

user posted image

I tried the split egg template on Vrack's #16, and I find the difference noticeable, but not glaringly obvious. Which I think is fine as it is.

(I hope I don't step on any spriter's toes with borrowing the split egg for this.)

user posted image

That looks pretty good! But if we're talking about noticability I think it's just slightly too similar to the original. Sure, when it's right next to the original you can tell that it's different. But if I just saw the wider egg it might not be as obvious that it's wider than normal.

(I don't know if this is breaking the rules of sprinter's rights and such.)

But, if it doesn't, can you try and make a version using outline 12? It's a tiny bit more round than 16 and I wonder if it'll be more noticeably different.

Edited by Vrack

user posted image

I quite like this version. I think the difference is obvious enough. Maybe not so much if you see the egg alone, although I still think you could tell, but definitely if it were floating on the AP among all the other eggs.

I think I'd be able to tell the difference on the AP, but it makes me like Fi's original double humped egg more. The obvious shape change means that it should be difficult to miss that it's a 2-head egg, and I like the subtle humps of hers more than the more drastic humps of the variants.

The other option I like better is one of the ones that doesn't keep the overall shape of the normal egg. Something like the one labeled 10 in the small comparison Vrack recently posted. The one that was shaded as an example is essentially the same as the current egg, just wider, and that makes the change a relatively subtle one. If the entire shape of the egg is different, it should be easier to see that it's different.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I think I'd be able to tell the difference on the AP, but it makes me like Fi's original double humped egg more.  The obvious shape change means that it should be difficult to miss that it's a 2-head egg, and I like the subtle humps of hers more than the more drastic humps of the variants.

The other option I like better is one of the ones that doesn't keep the overall shape of the normal egg.  Something like the one labeled 10 in the small comparison Vrack recently posted.  The one that was shaded as an example is essentially the same as the current egg, just wider, and that makes the change a relatively subtle one.  If the entire shape of the egg is different, it should be easier to see that it's different.

Since you say you like Fi's humps and my roundness, I'm going to make some hybrids of the two. I'll try and combine the very subtle bumps of Fi's egg with the roundness of mine.

BOOP:

user posted image

The eggs on the left are my outlines and the eggs on the right are Fi's indent applied to that outline. Tell me what you guys think!

Edited by Vrack

I like 12 most atm

Cool! I also like 12! That's why I used it when I applied Fi's indents to my outlines!

Also putting the chart here because why not:

user posted image

The eggs on the left are my outlines and the eggs on the right are Fi's indent applied to that outline. Please, tell me what you guys think!

Edited by Vrack

No humps, please. It's not a natural egg shape at all, subtle or not. Reptile eggs with more than one baby in them are still normal in shape.

My favorite is version 12. Some of the others look too round and don't look very much like eggs anymore, or they are too similar to the original shape. I don't like the indents at all, doesn't look natural to me.

Here is what the split egg would look like with 12 as its outline:

user posted image

NOTE: The egg labeled 10 in this image is actually 16.

(Again, if this goes against spriting rules I apologize and will take this down immediately.)

I think it looks good! It's definitely more round than 16. And because of its roundness I feel like I'd be more able to tell that it's a different shape than if 16 were to be used.

No humps, please. It's not a natural egg shape at all, subtle or not. Reptile eggs with more than one baby in them are still normal in shape.

I agree, it's not a natural egg shape at all. I think it'll make much more sense for a rounder, not-indented egg to be used. Another reason an indented outline would be bad/weird is existing eggs weren't designed to fit into that kind of shape. It'd be difficult to adapt them to make sense. Conversely, the rounder design is very close to the original shape and so, as can be seen above, it'd be fairly easy to adapt the existing eggs to the new outline.

Edited by Vrack

I must say that I really love the bulkiness of 10. It pretty much screams, "Here's something big inside!" At least to me it does.

I must say that I really love the bulkiness of 10. It pretty much screams, "Here's something big inside!" At least to me it does.

Do you think 12 screams that less than 16? Or do you think they're about the same?

Edited by Vrack

user posted image

Do you think 12 screams that less than 10? Or do you think they're about the same?

Also, I made a version of the split egg with option 6:

user posted image

(Again, if this goes against spriting rules I apologize and will take this down immediately.)

Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for the examples!

From these, 16 or 10 are my favorite (although this 10 looks like it's actually 16 - the 10 from the original template is a lot more round). So really 16 is just my fave. =p There's a difference from the regular egg, but it maintains the egg shape.

~

Updated the first post with various templates.

Thanks for the examples!

From these, 16 or 10 are my favorite (although this 10 looks like it's actually 16 - the 10 from the original template is a lot more round). So really 16 is just my fave. =p There's a difference from the regular egg, but it maintains the egg shape.

Oops... the 10 that I put in my chart is the 16 that Olympe made. I just mixed myself up and made myself think that it was made using 10. I haven't actually made a version of the split egg with 10. I'll do that when I get back to my computer. Sorry about that...

EDIT!

Here's an updated chart that has correct labels and all of the different versions of the split egg:

user posted image

Again, I apologize for mislabeling 16. I don't know how that happened but it's now been fixed.

I'm loving all this feedback!!! Please give more!!!

Edited by Vrack

I like 10 best, with 12 as my second favorite. It seems that changing the shape isn't enough by itself, 6 just doesn't stand out as being different. 16 just strikes me as too wide.