Obscure_Trash

Differentiated Egg for Two-Headed Dragons

That's you editing the egg into an image. That doesn't say anything about how the code that generates the AP would handle it.

Probably the best way to figure it out would be to happen to have a row of drake or pygmy eggs in the AP with one full sized egg in it. It would give an idea of how the code would handle the situation, at least. (drake mass breed, anyone?)

I'm sure TJ could handle this easily. If even I can think of a way to keep the AP lines spaced evenly without any coding knowledge, I',m sure he can. (Frankly, I'd add an empty pic with the size of the new 2-headed egg to the front of every row in the AP - it would work, but I'm pretty sure there are better ways to go about it.)

Also, I like Vixen's new "big egg" #2.

I wasn't thinking of keeping the rows even, I was thinking of stretching out the AP from the extra height of the eggs. Some people, either with small screens, old screens with bad resolution, or needing to zoom in for vision reasons, might already have difficulty keeping the entire set of eggs with time left text on screen at once. (I vaguely remember a -really- old suggestion related to that) Adding height with the new eggs can only make that worse, even if is only by a few pixels per row.

I'd like to keep 10 on the table until/unless TJ deems it to be one of the ones that's too similar to the old egg.  It may not be actually much bigger, but it's a distinctly different shape, and I think that's enough to make it differentiated at a glance.  I worry what a taller egg will do to the AP.

I think a different shape makes more sense than a bigger egg, anyways, considering 2-headeds are in the size range of normal dragons.

And there are real animals with very round eggs, so there's no reason it wouldn't be "realistic".

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

That's you editing the egg into an image.  That doesn't say anything about how the code that generates the AP would handle it.

Probably the best way to figure it out would be to happen to have a row of drake or pygmy eggs in the AP with one full sized egg in it.  It would give an idea of how the code would handle the situation, at least. (drake mass breed, anyone?)

Actually, that's not me editing it into an image. That's a screenshot of how the AP handled me editing the code and inserting the image. Either way, TJ can find a way to make the rows stay even.

I think a different shape makes more sense than a bigger egg, anyways, considering 2-headeds are in the size range of normal dragons.

And there are real animals with very round eggs, so there's no reason it wouldn't be "realistic".

I'm willing to keep 10 on the table as long as it seems different enough to not look similar to the normal egg. I agree that a different shape makes more sense than a different size. We've heard from spriters of the two-headed dragons and they've confirmed that they're around the same size as normal dragons. My only worry is TJ might think it's too similar to the original. Edited by Vrack

Actually, that's not me editing it into an image. That's a screenshot of how the AP handled me editing the code and inserting the image. Either way, TJ can find a way to make the rows stay even.

I'm willing to keep 10 on the table as long as it seems different enough to not look similar to the normal egg. I agree that a different shape makes more sense than a different size. We've heard from spriters of the two-headed dragons and they've comfirmed that they're around the same size as normal dragons.

Seeing as the rows do not stay even *right now*..... I honestly don't think a larger egg is a problem.

Must suggest a Pygmy mass breed in the Mass Breed thread..... Really must....

Cheers!

C4.

I hope you don't mind, but I made one with a rounder top... user posted image I'm not sure I like it either, but I don't know. The top of your egg looks weird when put on a wider egg.

Edit: You don't have to use this, was just testing how it would look.

You're right, the top looks too pointy red to a wider when it gets applied to a wider egg. However, your egg looks a little odd as well. So, I combined the top of your egg with the rest of VixenDra's to make this:

user posted image+user posted image=user posted image

To me it looks like a larger version of 12.

Here's it in the AP:

user posted image

Let me know what you guys think!

Here is the outline of the egg that I made from Deblob and VixenDra's eggs:

user posted image

I made a cracking sequence using that outline:

user posted image

And here it is with all of the other cracking sequences:

user posted image

I think it turned out pretty well! Let me know if there are any changes that might need to be made to how the cracking looks.

Edit: Fixed outline image

Edited by Vrack

Oh, I like this new one a lot!

tbh still not overly sure about making them bigger for RP reasons (they are 'normal sized' dragons just with an extra head after all) but TJ has spoken, and I could easily live with it so *shrugs*

Oh, I like this new one a lot!

tbh still not overly sure about making them bigger for RP reasons (they are 'normal sized' dragons just with an extra head after all) but TJ has spoken, and I could easily live with it so *shrugs*

I'm just gonna point out that TJ didn't say he supported or didn't support the idea. He merely commented on the fact that the proposed eggs, when he posted, didn't really match the original suggestion.

But the discussion had basically narrowed down to one egg when he posted. I'd like to know what he thinks of distinctly shaped but not actually larger eggs like 10. I agree that a larger egg doesn't make much sense since 2-heads aren't actually bigger than the rest.

But the discussion had basically narrowed down to one egg when he posted.  I'd like to know what he thinks of distinctly shaped but not actually larger eggs like 10.  I agree that a larger egg doesn't make much sense since 2-heads aren't actually bigger than the rest.

I can make a cracking sequence for number 10 or 6. Then the three cracking sequences can be compared. It might also allow us to see what TJ thinks of a different shaped egg rather than a larger one.

Edited by Vrack

I'm really late to the party, but there is always the option of going for eggs shapes that aren't based on birds.

I mean frog and fish eggs are almost spherical. Lizards eggs and Crocodillian eggs tend to be more ovaloid, and snake eggs can be almost cylindrical at times. Dinosaur egg fossils range between ovaloid and cylindrical. And then, bird eggs, while tending to be more conical shaped, can be more ovaloid as well.

People have said from what I've scanned that there is no reason that 2-headed dragons would have larger eggs than other dragon breed eggs, and if current options with similar shape to the original egg are not an option, then maybe a new shape entirely is the way to go. That would give the egg a more distinct outline.

I'm really late to the party, but there is always the option of going for eggs shapes that aren't based on birds.

I mean frog and fish eggs are almost spherical. Lizards eggs and Crocodillian eggs tend to be more  ovaloid, and snake eggs can be almost cylindrical at times. Dinosaur egg fossils range between ovaloid and cylindrical. And then, bird eggs, while tending to be more conical shaped, can be more ovaloid as well.

People have said from what I've scanned that there is no reason that 2-headed dragons would have larger eggs than other dragon breed eggs, and if current options with similar shape to the original egg are not an option, then maybe a new shape entirely is the way to go. That would give the egg a more distinct outline.

Hm, I guess it is possible for eggs to be oval-shaped. I'm thinking of making a version of the cracking sequence using outline 10 or 6. Which outline do you think is better?

10: user posted image 6: user posted image

6 has the same dimensions as the normal egg; the only difference is its top is more round. 10 is two pixels wider than the normal egg and also has a rounded top.

Hm, I guess it is possible for eggs to be oval-shaped. I'm thinking of making a version of the cracking sequence using outline 10 or 6. Which outline do you think is better?

10: user posted image 6: user posted image

6 has the same dimensions as the normal egg; the only difference is its top is more round. 10 is two pixels wider than the normal egg and also has a rounded top.

10: user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

6: user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Putting them side by side with the other eggs, I think 10 looks better. At least, 10 is more obvious at a glance that it is different.

What you think of making the egg more cylindrical? Would that be too much?

The problem with making the egg more cylindrical is it would have to be taller to have the same volume. Unless you mean take an egg like 6 and make the sides even straighter, but I think that would look strange.

The problem with making the egg more cylindrical is it would have to be taller to have the same volume. Unless you mean take an egg like 6 and make the sides even straighter, but I think that would look strange.

Yeah, if i were to try and make a more cylindrical egg it'd probably end up looking like a rectangle with rounded corners. So 10 is probably the best option for an egg close to the original's size and also a different shape. I'll make a cracking sequence for it tomorrow.

See, I would normally be all up for a different egg shape, but I don't understand why the shape would be any different. All the other dragon eggs, no matter how different they are, follow a similar shape.

I would be okay with different shapes for all dragons... like rounder ones for dragons that lay their eggs in the sea or by the coast (like frogs do in ponds). Perhaps wyrms would be cylindrical, etc, however, I think all of that is a little too much.

Hence the common pattern for different eggs is with the size of the dragons, which is why I think the size should change and not too much of the shape.

See, I would normally be all up for a different egg shape, but I don't understand why the shape would be any different. All the other dragon eggs, no matter how different they are, follow a similar shape.

I would be okay with different shapes for all dragons... like rounder ones for dragons that lay their eggs in the sea or by the coast (like frogs do in ponds). Perhaps wyrms would be cylindrical, etc, however, I think all of that is a little too much.

Hence the common pattern for different eggs is with the size of the dragons, which is why I think the size should change and not too much of the shape.

Basically, the idea is that the other two breeding groups have unique eggs, being smaller than the standard. 2 heads are their own breeding group, but they have the same eggs as the main group. 2 heads don't have a characteristic size difference like the other two, so a different shaped egg makes the most sense.

Mayhaps it's easier on the 2headed anatomy to produce an egg with a slightly different shape - longer to accommodate space rather than wider like other dragons.

I'd really just appreciated a differentiated egg in some way, though. =p

@Sock I'd surely appreciate a different egg, but not at the cost of logic... I think the egg we proposed was probably the best representation of what a two-headed dragon egg would look like (if we followed the pattern).

Since TJ is not fond of the sprite we proposed I think it'd be better to drop it rather than continue on iffy logic.

@Pokemon What about all the other dragon sub-types/types? It'd make more sense to change the shape of a dragon egg based on biomes. Coastal dragons would naturally have rounder, soft-shelled eggs. Alpine dragon eggs would most likely naturally-select harder shells that would have a more difficult time cracking when falling. Whatever else for the other ones.

I don't know. I just think if we are going to change shape that we should change the shape of every species (if necessary) and I don't think very many people would be up for that. Sorry for the rant, but that's my opinion.

The -only- dragons that have different eggs in the cave so far are the ones that have their own breeding groups. That is what this suggestion is focused on. The other "sub-types" may make different zombies, but they all breed together. If you feel that strongly that we should make unique eggs for all of those, you should make a thread for it. This one is specifically about 2-heads. (I don't think it's a good idea. The AP would be a mess, and that's a -lot- of eggs to modify.)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Since TJ is not fond of the sprite we proposed I think it'd be better to drop it rather than continue on iffy logic.

TJ has yet to comment on the egg produced after his last comment. Not to mention he didn't comment on the logic.

And tbqh, sometimes we drop RP logic so that we can have better gameplay function. I'm honestly not too worried about fighting over what is or isn't most logical, particularly when it comes to size, as we really don't have dragon sizes standardized and artist ideas of size tend to differ drastically from TJ's own ideas about size.

And I get that this is one of those small things that doesn't really matter and it's easy to pick on the 'logic' (when really only one two-headed artist has given us a size-canon) but I honestly don't see a fail in logic against different egg shapes. It would only be a bit odd since the other restricted breeding groups are mostly more noticeable just as different sizes. But I'm sure someone a little more studied in biology than me could come up with some explanation (other than 'biology is werid!11!!') as to why different - even larger - eggs would make sense for something that isn't particularly bigger than other dragons.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Well, in birds, it's known that some birds lay bigger eggs (compared to the adult's size) than others. I have no idea for the reasons, though. But, if I remember it correctly, it was usually the smaller birds that had the bigger eggs (compared to the adult's size). *shrugs*