Obscure_Trash

Differentiated Egg for Two-Headed Dragons

I meant my wider version of the split egg, not its cracking sequence. In general, I was talking about all eggs of two-headed dragons. I was basically asking if the original spriters of the eggs had to make the updated versions or if I could just make them. In regards to the Split egg, I was asking if it'd have to be remade by Odeen or if my version could be used.

I'm mainly asking because waiting for each of the different spriters to make updated eggs would take longer than if I made all of them right now. However, I don't want to "take" the eggs from the original artists if I'm not allowed to.

TL;DR: If original spriters don't want/don't have to edit their eggs, I'm willing to make the edits myself.

BOOP:

user posted image -> user posted image

I removed some of the right side of the hole.

Here's the full sequence:

user posted image

Let me know if there're anymore changes to be made.

I feel like the hole on the standard egg is more symmetrical while the hole for the new egg. I can't say it actually is, as I think you just widened the hole(?), but there's something about the aesthetics of it that feels... crooked. I'm not quite sure how to suggest fixing it. Move it a little to the left, maybe?

The full sequence one looks good, so maybe it's just an illusion created by sticking all the eggs next to each other. xP

Did we already message TJ about the topic? I mean I don't want to bother him... just curious.

TJ pretty regularly checks in with suggestions (just doesn't post for a variety of reasons), so no. I haven't PM'd him, as I don't really see a need to right now. =o

I feel like the hole on the standard egg is more symmetrical while the hole for the new egg. I can't say it actually is, as I think you just widened the hole(?), but there's something about the aesthetics of it that feels... crooked. I'm not quite sure how to suggest fixing it. Move it a little to the left, maybe?

The full sequence one looks good, so maybe it's just an illusion created by sticking all the eggs next to each other. xP

Well, the normal hole is more up and to the left. When I widened the hole it ended up more down and to the right. I'll try a version with the hole moved up and left a little bit.

EDIT 1: Made major changes to positioning of hole and other cracks.

EDIT 2: Made slight change to shape of hole.

EDIT 3: It seems like my image host has deleted some of the images. Check out this post for most up-to-date sprites.

user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

How does that look?

Here's the whole sequence:

user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

Edited by Vrack

*Bumping for crits and/or final decisions*

Here is the most up to date cracking sequence for 21:

user posted imageuser posted image

I used 21 because it was the most popular/favorite out of all of the outlines made. There's not really much else I can do with this request on my own. I'm still not sure if the cracking sequence that I've made is the best; but I'm not sure how to improve it. If anyone could give me more feedback, that'd be great.

And if no feedback can be given, should this request be moved to the completed section marked as completed? (I'm probably forgetting something that needs to be done but I'm not sure what it could be.)

Edit: Added separated cracking sequence.

Edited by Vrack

Ooh! That looks much better! Yeah, I think this should be moved to the completed section.

Edited by Deblob167

I like that! I think the s2 and s3 cracks could be moved a tad towards the right, but other than that thumbs_up.png

(Not sure what you mean about moving these to the completed section?)

Ooh! That looks much better! Yeah, I think this should be moved to the completed section.

This isn't a dragon request. Only dragon requests are moved to Completed - everything else kinda stays in its forum.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

This osn't a dragon request. Only dragon requests are moved to Completed - everything else kinda stays in its forum.

Yeah, I saw that afterwards x3 I just saw Vrack's comment and agreed. Anyway, doesn't matter. I think this suggestion is near finalization.

I like that! I think the s2 and s3 cracks could be moved a tad towards the right, but other than that thumbs_up.png

(Not sure what you mean about moving these to the completed section?)

I'm not exactly sure what cracks you mean. Could you explain what part of the cracks you're talking about and how much they should be moved? Do you mean the entire crack or the smaller branches off of it?

I didn't know that non-dragon requests don't get moved to the completed section, my mistake.

I mean the whole crack. The starting place is good, but they should spread out further to the right, not just downwards. Right now they kinda curve down around the egg rather than splitting straight through it.

If suggestions are accepted, either TJ closes them when he decides to implement them or myself/help mods close them when updates are announced. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I mean the whole crack. The starting place is good, but they should spread out further to the right, not just downwards. Right now they kinda curve down around the egg rather than splitting straight through it.

If suggestions are accepted, either TJ closes them when he decides to implement them or myself/help mods close them when updates are announced. ^^

Alright, I did my best to follow your suggestion:

user posted image -> user posted image

I straightened out the crack so that it matches the normal egg's crack. I also moved most of the mini branches off of it so that they match up better. Let me know if I went too overboard with anything or if I need to go further with something.

I don't understand the proposed egg that's in all of the recent posts. The first post talks about "different egg sizes." The pygmy and drake eggs have very distinct silhouettes; they share nothing in common with the base egg. The outline I'm seeing, on the the hand, does not have these qualities. It's identical to the base egg except for being a few pixels wider. That's not really "larger," per se, and it's not different enough to be unambiguous without seeing the two in comparison.

I don't understand the proposed egg that's in all of the recent posts. The first post talks about "different egg sizes." The pygmy and drake eggs have very distinct silhouettes; they share nothing in common with the base egg. The outline I'm seeing, on the the hand, does not have these qualities. It's identical to the base egg except for being a few pixels wider. That's not really "larger," per se, and it's not different enough to be unambiguous without seeing the two in comparison.

Which basically excludes the usage of 21 or 16 or anything that uses so much of the default.

I personally like 12 absolutely the most and think 10 has the greatest chance of being used for it screams "I'm different than default!"

Edited by VixenDra

Which basically excludes the usage of 21 or 16 or anything that uses so much of the default.

I personally like 12 absolutely the most and think 10 has the greatest chance of being used for it screams "I'm different than default!"

All of the outlines I've seen are basically the same size as the default, though.

I guess this means that the two-headed egg sprite could be a couple of pixels larger than the regular egg... Right now, the proposed larger egg is a mere two pixels wider than the regular egg, which isn't much of a difference.

Edit: ninja.gif'ed by speedy TJ reply. poptartFINALTINY.gif

Edited by olympe

All of the outlines I've seen are basically the same size as the default, though.
I assumed that a large increase in size would be ridiculous for a dragon whose only difference is having another head. I guess I limited myself too much when I was brainstorming outline ideas. I suppose I should've been more imaginative...

sooo... sth more along these lines?

user posted image[link]

or user posted image[link] not to go too far with the 'larger'?

or inbetween?

I like where you're going with the second egg. What is its height/width ratio in comparison to the normal egg? Never mind, I just checked for myself. (I don't know why I asked...) The normal egg is 26x28 and the second egg above is 31x31. I really like that ratio. I think making it square helps to differentiate it from the original egg shape. When I get the chance, do you mind if I apply the split egg's pattern to your outline, VixenDra? Edited by Vrack

sooo... sth more along these lines?

user posted image[link]

or user posted image[link] not to go too far with the 'larger'?

or inbetween?

I do like the second one a lot.. the first seems unnecessarily large.

When I get the chance, do you mind if I apply the split egg's pattern to your outline, VixenDra?

I think yeah, if it's considered good enough to take under consideration^^

I think yeah, if it's considered good enough to take under consideration^^

Alright! Here's what it looks like:

user posted image

I really like how it turned out! I also feel like it's significantly larger than the normal sized egg so hopefully it TJ approves.

Once more people have seen this egg shape and like it, I'll apply the cracking sequence I made to it. It's pretty adaptable so it won't be super difficult to do.

Edit: Fixed slight shading mistake

Edited by Vrack

I'd like to keep 10 on the table until/unless TJ deems it to be one of the ones that's too similar to the old egg. It may not be actually much bigger, but it's a distinctly different shape, and I think that's enough to make it differentiated at a glance. I worry what a taller egg will do to the AP.

I'd like to keep 10 on the table until/unless TJ deems it to be one of the ones that's too similar to the old egg.  It may not be actually much bigger, but it's a distinctly different shape, and I think that's enough to make it differentiated at a glance.  I worry what a taller egg will do to the AP.
Well, this is what the AP looks like with the larger egg inserted in a middle row and column:

user posted image

It doesn't seem like it's changed much of anything. The only difference I noticed is the text is bumped down a bit more.

The other problem I see with 10 is it's an unnatural shape for an egg. They're not usually that round. But as it's been said several times, it's up to TJ in the end.

That's you editing the egg into an image. That doesn't say anything about how the code that generates the AP would handle it.

Probably the best way to figure it out would be to happen to have a row of drake or pygmy eggs in the AP with one full sized egg in it. It would give an idea of how the code would handle the situation, at least. (drake mass breed, anyone?)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I hope you don't mind, but I made one with a rounder top... user posted image I'm not sure I like it either, but I don't know. The top of your egg looks weird when put on a wider egg.

Edit: You don't have to use this, was just testing how it would look.

Edited by Deblob167