TJ09

2016-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 10th Birthday!

Wow, I love all of these new releases! I'm thinking that Nexus and Tarantula Hawks are my two favorites, but Candelabras and Morphos really aren't that far behind!

But my favorite part of this release is the return of the Frilleds and the Old Pinks/Arias. Frilleds were always one of my favorites (and they have the cutest hatchlings happy.gif), and I was sad when I found out that they were retired. Now I can--and likely will--hoard them, along with Arias.

Also I'm really liking the removal of that extra day on AP'ed eggs; so many low-time eggs! Too bad I don't have any open egg slots, or else I'd be grabbing and hatching as many as I can!

Loving new releases! <3 All beautiful, with intriguing descriptions and quirks. However, I must wonder, why must many of them be orange and blue? I mean, Celestials and Sapphires were blue! And Antareans were orange! And I notice many other existing dragons possess such colors very frequently 0_o I do wish there was a bit more color diversity among them, particularly in this year's releases.

Edited by andromedae

I feel... deflated. Probably because I'd Great Expectations and didn't get any of my wishes. But, judging from this thread, I'm in the minority. Therefore, congrats to TJ and spriters for a successful event.

I feel... deflated. Probably because I'd Great Expectations and didn't get any of my wishes. But, judging from this thread, I'm in the minority. Therefore, congrats to TJ and spriters for a successful event.

There were some bigger changes I was hoping for (like unfreeze, tabs, refusal resetting, 8th egg slot and more accurate breeding cooldown), but the surprise return of the retired breeds (frills I'd been hoping for, but I'd about given up on pinks! biggrin.gif) plus some other nice updates and lovely new dragons certainly helped still make it awesome.

Least favorite is the Tarantula Hawks e.e I don't like greenies anyways (even if the gold wings are great) and the description SCARES me because I hate spiders. E__E *backs away like a LOT*

Uh, if you hate spiders, wouldn't you want a hoarde of tarantula hawks at your side? They -eat- spiders. You wouldn't ever have to interact with a spider because the tarantula hawks would eat them all. xP

My understanding of cassare dampening may be flawed (I don't actually collect them or do encyclopedia stuff), but I would think the result there would be a Nexus that was still volatile and couldn't use its magical power. A more surefire way to keep a Nexus stable would be to strictly monitor and minimize its consumption of mana. It'd probably still not win any good citizen awards because by nature they're obstinate, quirky, and unsociable, but it would be far easier to handle. Just beware the day when it remembers how big it is, because the hunger is always there.

I don't know what TJ thinks of the Cassare's dampening effect, but my idea has always been that they act like a living magical black hole(their ability to "collect" mana is warped, they continuously draw it into themselves, but it can never be accessed by the Cassare or anyone else by any known means, and there have been tries). While a Cassare that has newly moved to a location may still have mana crystals nearby, eventually they will erode to nothing, the speed of which depending on the original size of the crystal. A nearby Cassare would be a good way to limit their mana consumption, though convincing the Cassare to stick around a cranky Nexus is another matter.

Edited by Nectaris

Nexus are pretty cool. I like the female a lot more since the male's big chin + lip combo make me think of cartoony bad guy caricatures.

The Candelabras are, again, pretty cool. I like the brown color of the body. A rather basic pose and the wings look small, but the concept is nice. I just noticed this, but is there a small part on the chest where the belly scales didn't get colored in all the way? It's hard for me to tell at that size, but it looks like a sudden change to brown. Maybe it's nothing.

The Morphos are neat, but for some reason I think they'd look even cooler having no arms or legs? Random thought, don't ask =p The blue color and patterns are pretty and I like the mane.

I like the style of the TH drakes and they do look like they'd be mischievous little buggers. The tail looks a little small, but I guess with sprite dimension limitations you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't know what my favorite of this release is-- they all have their strengths. The out-of-retirement for the bright pinks and Frills is probably what I'm most excited about =)

Least favorite is the Tarantula Hawks e.e I don't like greenies anyways (even if the gold wings are great) and the description SCARES me because I hate spiders. E__E *backs away like a LOT*

Tarantula hawks are actually a type of wasp, if you didn't know. So we have these pretty wasp-dragons to protect our scrolls from spiders ;D

I don't know what TJ thinks of the Cassare's dampening effect, but my idea has always been that they act like a living magical black hole(their ability to "collect" mana is warped, they continuously draw it into themselves, but it can never be accessed by the Cassare or anyone else by any known means, and there have been tries). While a Cassare that has newly moved to a location may still have mana crystals nearby, eventually they will erode to nothing, the speed of which depending on the original size of the crystal. A nearby Cassare would be a good way to limit their mana consumption, though convincing the Cassare to stick around a cranky Nexus is another matter.

Interesting concept, although I've always pictured Cassares to behave more like anti-magic in games like Dungeons & Dragons. All magic loses its effects, but the enchantment itself still remains and can exhibit its effects again as soon as it's out of the anti-magic field.

Guess it could calm the Nexus a bit, since its own body wouldn't be fighting itself while in the Cassare's field. On the other hand, the heads could decide that they don't like having their powers taken away, and try to escape the field. Not to mention preventing something like a dragon from eating whatever it wants sounds like a bad idea.

Man am I loving the AP right now. Not a single egg over 4 days! The only downside is that I'm already completely scroll locked with hatchies...this is dangerous for me, haha. Best addition to the site so far, imo

that should be how it ALWAYS is

removed the extra day when left in the AP - all eggs will now be at 4 days or less xd.png

id be cool with it if the eggs where always at a few hours left, that way an abandoned egg would be risky because its sickly and hasn't been cared for

Of this list (which has a total of about 800 request, including variants), 22 dragons have been released into the cave besides all the dragons that have been released and which haven't been developed publicly smile.gif . So...... We still have a lot to see smile.gif

I've seen dragon concepts which have taken (a lot) more than a couple of months or even years to be released in the cave (Anagallis had been removed from the Completed list about 3 years before it was released). But I've also seen concepts which had been removed only a couple of months before the release. So it varies quite a lot. And that's on top of all the concepts that have been send in privately to TJ.

How interesting! I also try to keep track of the requests section, but I didn't have that amount of detail - thank you for sharing!

I love seeing releases like this where we get several new dragons and I hope we'll get more of them, so that more concepts from the completed list can be released as well. We've got amazing concept designers and artists!

I second that - the completed list contains tons of gems just waiting for discovery!

ETA: Finally caught my first couple of Nexus! Now I have at least one pair of each new release. I think I'll start hoarding Frills, Morphos and Candelabras, they're my favourites of the bunch.

Edited by walkinslow

smile.gif

Thanks to all making these magnificent new additions to Dragon Cave possible.

Each is beautiful and different in their own unique way.

My heart has a special fondness for the Candelabra, however, as there is now a Dragon whose description matches the brave heart of my lovingly remembered Yorkie, Nikki.

Beautiful biomes to hunt in and so much more .. biggrin.gif

What a great 10th Birthday celebration !! Congratulations, and thanks again. tongue.gif

So many things to be stared at in awe! Thanks for all the new dragons, the memories over the years, and for all the hopes and dreams of what is to come!

I'm pretty sure the AP as it is is a fluke. It's a combination of the current eggs losing the previously added day and not many people being willing to spend slots on AP eggs when there's 6 new ones to hunt. Most likely the AP will revert to its usual normal, except that eggs abandoned with semi-low time (4 days, etc) will keep that low time rather than having a day added.

But I do agree that it would be awesome if the AP was always ER/incuhatchable.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I thought the 20th seem significant for some reason lol Glad I came back today to check things out xd.png

OMG FRILLS!!! I'm so excited to see Frills again!! wub.gif

Thanks for 10 awesome years of fun TJ and staff ^^ This is probably the only online game I still actively play these days biggrin.gif Looking forward to what's to come!!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about those zombies too....

I love all of these new dragons, but especially the drakes! smile.gif

Have we ruled out the possibility of the Aria having a different adult male form? Or is this still a possibility since no one has adult males yet?

Since TJ didn't include any Arias in his post, we won't know for sure until some of the first caught Arias grow up.

Oh man, I just noticed how much of a size increase Arias got. On the Thuwed page Fadb kinda dwarfs her Gold hubby now.

Can anyone tell me if the encyclopedia page will be fixed with the bright pink dragons and the frill dragons? I mean will they be taking down the retired sign and allowing the page to fill in?

Can anyone tell me if the encyclopedia page will be fixed with the bright pink dragons and the frill dragons? I mean will they be taking down the retired sign and allowing the page to fill in?

Frills already have had their page updated with new sprites and location.

idk if Arias will replace BPs in the encyclopedia, I feel like they will after ours grow up and we see the male sprite. I kinda feel like TJ is hiding them for now.

Oh man, I just noticed how much of a size increase Arias got. On the Thuwed page Fadb kinda dwarfs her Gold hubby now.

Well, you know what they say, go big or go home. ;u