TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

Mmph, not feelin' it at all with the new silver hatchlings.  They used to be absolutely adorable with their little curled in, almost coy look.  Now they look like lopsided... I dunno!  Greyhounds?  Mutant rabbits without ears?  Lizards?  I'm not sure, but those chests and heads are ENORMOUS compared to the rest of their body - I keep looking at the hatchlings thinking that they should be faceplanting into the proverbial ground at any moment.  The chest, neck and head all need to be taken down at least one pixel width or the bottom portion of the body widened by a pixel width in order to balance out the sprite.

Two-headeds are nice, though.  I'm liking that update all the way around.

EDIT:  I think the main point of consternation for me is that the silver hatchling used to look like it was curling in on itself, cute and shy and all.  Now it looks like a flat 2D silver blob with an enormous head and chest that's just perched there like some defunct statue.

I must admit, I agree with the feelings about the hatchlings =/ They used to be very adorable and when I came to look now I was...I thought they were some flat white thing... I mean I am sure I will get used to them. Just, I will miss the old sprites. The egg as well is ...not my favorite. But as I said, I'm sure i will get used to it and appreciate them as silvers. Over time of course, with nostalgia for the old ones.

Edited by ~X~

Aww, Why..

I still love old gold. Also I already miss my old silvers. No love for the new silvers, sorry spriter.

These new silver sprites are gorgeous, but... they look more platinum than silver, and it's ruined what few lineages I've tried to make with them. I'm just not as in love with this sprite as I am with the old one; the entire look has changed because it's so much brighter. They're still pretty, I just wish it could have been an entirely new sprite. Maybe a hybrid or something. Oh well. It'll be easier for me to let go of and trade the CBs I catch now, anyway. xd.png The split is just stunning. Great work to the artists, for both new sets. ♥

EDIT: Just saw the new hatchies... I am at a loss. I love the old sprite because it's so fluffy and cute. This new one just seems flat and almost bald... I don't understand why it had to change so much. Out of all the updates, I think these hatchies are my least favorite. Oh, well. I don't freeze hatchies and I'll likely be trading away all Silver eggs in the future, so at least I won't have to look at them much. u.u </3

Edited by Riannon

I prefer the old Silvers they were one of my favourite sprites. I don't think I like them enough to collect and make lines with them anymore. sleep.gif

The splits on the other hand are very nice I think they really needed the update.

Sorry, but I really don't like them that much. To bright, blurred lines, coils are gone, hatchling pose is three seconds to faceplant and the male is no longer looking at the female.

Two-head ones are great if they aren't supposed to fly. Those wings don't look like they can support them in the air unless it's a short glide.

Edited by SarcasticGit

I kinda like the new female silver but the male is just yuck

I liked the old splits but these new ones are ok, not as good as the old but ok

I am so happy I don't have any silver lineages

The one thing I don't like about the new Silver sprites is just how white and washed out they look... They're not very silver looking anymore imo. :3

Other than that I like them well enough and I'm sure I'll get used to them in time...

I liked the old splits but these new ones are ok, not as good as the old but ok

Not that a personal preference can ever be wrong, but I would be very interested in seeing you attempt to articulate this argument in a way that approached objective. Art criticism is a fun endeavor!

Seem to be in a minority so far, but I am very pleased with the Silver update... soft fluff & they actually look metallic, about time there xd.png They always just looked like a really dull gray to me before...

& the splits are gorgeous, very nice work smile.gif

Edited by Dr. Paine

The silvers look ...odd with the older holidays, but hey they look nice with some of the newer shiny dragons.

I just hope this doesn't become a trend with everything that's older getting updated. I like the style of many of the older dragons, funky or not.

Absolutely love the new Two-Headed's design. The new Silver's designs are nice as well.

GJ spriters!

I suck at noticing news threads, so I was scrolling down to look at my blacks and did a double-take at the suddenly detailed shading on the split dragons I zipped past, haha.

I like the new Silver adults from an objective, nostalgia-less standpoint! They actually look shiny, now. Not as drastic as the change from old to new Gold sprites were (I was kinda glad to see the old Golds go), but still will take some getting used to. They look a tad too pale in comparison to the old sprites, especially in lineage view. In fact, the male's color scheme reminds me strongly of spriter alt Rosebuds. Also, he has a pixel "missing" on the front of the chest where it intersects with the shoulder. Small thing, it just bothers me a little.

Eh on the Silver egg and hatchlings. At least it's harder to mistake the Silver egg for the White when they're not next to each other, I guess. And yeah, Silver hatchlings are a little top-heavy, they look like horses in the classical rearing pose, but with weird limbs.

As for the Splits, they're looking buff today, moreso than usual. Really liking the defined musculature! This update's making me fall in love with them again, I've always had a fondness as my first dragon was a Split (7 years ago, wow). The hatchlings have such tiny feets compared to the adult's stompers. I wish they faced forward, especially the S1 so the dual nature could be shown more clearly. The female S2's background head is really dark.

All in all, great update with small nitpicks that I really shouldn't be typing out at 1 AM when I need to study. Thanks, Odeen and LadyLyzar!

Love the two-headed...

But I don't know if I still prefer the old Silvers. T_T

edit: Also, maybe it's cause the silver sprites look so strange against the older sprites? As if the outline of the Silvers are very... shiny/blurred? I'm just looking at my lineages and it'll take some time getting used to, but it doesn't really seem to jive with the older sprites

I do like how it is shinier (and less dull), though. But because of its newfound shinyness it looks kinda out of place.

Edited by kiyoura

I think the new Silver sprites are pretty. First thought was "huh, quite different, but okay", then I looked at the male Silver hatchie that's currently growing on my scroll: "eeeeep! cuuuute!" biggrin.gif

Now I want frozen Silver hatchlings, I didn't before.

The adults do look thinner because of the new shading, probably an optical illusion though?

They look very different in lineages, especially the males. Better with other "3D-looking" dragons now (female Copper), not that good with more "2D-looking" dragons (Purple) anymore.

I can understand people who say some lineages are now "ruined" (I felt the same about the male horses although the sprite is cool). I still have to check some of mine, but all in all, I think the update is more positive than negative, and I'm looking forward to building new lineages with those. smile.gif

And the Splits are great! I can't say much more than this since I don't currently breed them, but... I might start now. laugh.gif

They look very different in lineages, especially the males. Better with other "3D-looking" dragons now (female Copper), not that good with more "2D-looking" dragons (Purple) anymore.

I can understand people who say some lineages are now "ruined" (I felt the same about the male horses although the sprite is cool). I still have to check some of mine, but all in all, I think the update is more positive than negative, and I'm looking forward to building new lineages with those. smile.gif

I actually really like that purple line. I'm flip-flopping on if males look as good with skywings anymore (2nd gen, not really, but longer gen looks nicer), but I like females with teas a lot better.

Also? PBs are just gorgeous now.

Objectively, the new silver sprites are well done in regards to shading and anatomy and all that...but personally, I'm sorry, I can't stand them =/ The shading is just too realistic compared to most of the other dragons in the cave, so the difference is jarring to look at. I adored the old sprites so much that I've spent over four years now (holy cow, longer than I thought...) collecting them. I've managed to collect over 600 silvers in my silver checker lineage project alone, so that's not counting the randomly lineages silvers I collected before realizing the beautiful checker lineages I could get or the CBs I've spent hundreds of hours hunting and trading for >.<

I appreciate all the hard work that the spriter(s?) put into the new silver design, and I can remove my personal opinion enough to say that, objectively, they did good work...but I can't help feeling absolutely crushed that the lineages I was so damn proud of just don't feel beautiful anymore to me x__x I feel like I've wasted the last four years on a totally pointless effort.

The splits, however, I honestly like.

Edited by shadesofchaos

My compliments to the new split dragons spriter, very well done. And the fur lining on the new silvers has a great flow to it. It's gonna take awhile to get used to the changes made on the Silvers though.