TJ09

2015-08-29 - August Release

What I love about multiple colored eggs like this is all of the possible breeding pairs and lineages. The golds would look great with GW, Golds, Silvers, while the blue and silver ones would look great with Winters, Moonstones, etc.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what sort of names people give to their new release dragons. I've already named all of mine that have hatched and by far my favorite one has to be

this one. biggrin.gif

Maybe - but if the Release does actually continue all month, threads usually do stay open until everyone starts getting adults from the (final) Release. Dunno, obviously, but we also will need a gathering place to discuss how what's Dropping etc., and as far as I know, off-forum people won't have access to/know about anything not posted on the main page.

I guess that falls under it being your choice to partake in the forum or be limited in your resource access. There is usually something unique about each dragon release in recent years, which means discussion to follow. In the past a link has been made to other threads, like Avatar breeding or Undine hatchlings.

Edited by Diamondinmyeye

I guess that falls under it being your choice to partake in the forum or be limited in your resource access. There is usually something unique about each dragon release in recent years, which means discussion to follow. In the past a link has been made to other threads, like Avatar breeding or Undine hatchlings.

True, but this is the first Release to be (potentially all) Released in the Cave over a (potentially) month-long period in (potentially) 4 colours. So if these are (as I fervently hope) Released in the Cave as CBs on a weekly basis over a month, the Release actually continues until people start getting getting adults from the last colour, no?

(And I must say I love this sort of variety - always something different and kudos to TJ and to LadyLyzar for both the lovely spriting and the fabulous concept! smile.gif )

True, but this is the first Release to be (potentially all) Released in the Cave over a (potentially) month-long period in (potentially) 4 colours. So if these are (as I fervently hope) Released in the Cave as CBs on a weekly basis over a month, the Release actually continues until people start getting getting adults from the last colour, no?

(And I must say I love this sort of variety - always something different and kudos to TJ and to LadyLyzar for both the lovely spriting and the fabulous concept! smile.gif )

Yes, I suppose that does make this a unique release (potentially). Only time will tell. I also hope for all CB releases of this breed. I like to keep my scroll simple.

Well, I can bet at least one person will complain there is no dimorphism. Hopefully they'll relax and appreciate them anyway though.

Wait, I get that the golden egg only drops when the moons are in waning gibbous, but when they're not, are the egg colors random? huh.gif

Wait, I get that the golden egg only drops when the moons are in waning gibbous, but when they're not, are the egg colors random? huh.gif

No one knows yet. We're waiting for the moon phases to change or for someone to report getting another color.

if this is relevant at all they sort between lumina and magi...

1. excepting the fact that the change in the seasonal mechanic directly corresponds to the change in seasons here on Earth, so you're point here is moot

I believe you're missing Ansela's point. Seasonals are linked to our seasons because Valkemare hadn't been conceived when they were introduced. In other words, there was no option to use Valkemare lore when they were brought out. Hence why seasonals are a completely different bag of tricks and can't be compared to the current species (much in the same way Magis were released before mana was introduced, though there you don't have obvious associated effects).

2a&b. which seems to be nothing more than flavor rather than actually effecting things like the time of day and the seasons as far as how the dragons act.  in fact the two moon thing in this game acts as merely flavor as far as effecting the dragons and game play

http://www.universetoday.com/92148/what-if...-had-two-moons/

as you can see from the article, none of what would occur on a planet that supports life and has two moons occurs in this world.

The linked article describes a moon identical in size to the current moon (which, by the way, is called 'Luna', and is the source of the adjective 'lunar') being closer to the Earth than our natural satellite currently is. Obviously that's a dangerous scenario. Obviously that'll increase nighttime brightness. Obviously that'll strengthen tides intolerably. Why you'd want to add another massive moon, on the other hand, I have no idea.

As others have pointed out, there are many stable two-or-more moon systems out there. Mars has two moons, Phobos and Deimos, which are smaller than our moon, and quite stable companions.

user posted image

Either way, though, Valkemare isn't Earth, so the article is almost completely orthogonal to the discussion.

You can't call the two moons 'mere flavour', either, they're very obviously affecting this new dragon, as evidenced by the link in the first post, which is expressly telling us not to look at Earth's moon for reference, because that would not give us the right phases. o_O We're expressly supposed to look at the time help page to get the phases relevant to the dragon.

(For that matter, 'mere flavour' looks like this in real life:

user posted image

Sharing for no particular reason; mostly it's just awesome.)

3. and the real moon calendar can still be used as a guide for predicting when these hatchies will change, so again i fail to see your point

It's still entirely possible that the moons are both on the same cycle (though some have reported remembering them in different phases when they looked at the page in the past) and will 'remain synced up' with Earth's moon, but I don't see why you're so sure of that that you think it's OK to call other people's musings "[uncalled-for] drama".

I'd enjoy it if the moons were synced up with ours, because, like you (and others) have said, it'd make tracking this dragon's forms easier. smile.gif But I doubt they are.

4. if they were then we'd have 6 to 8 hatchies, not 4.

But Ansela said nothing about a greater amount of variations. She was contrasting it to your claim that the variations were bound to full, new, and quarter moons - all of those only rein over one day! We're clearly getting drops between those days, so something must also govern those. smile.gif Differently worded, Ansela was pointing out that we have four variants, but more than four moon phases to match them to.

5. if you took offense to that statement then i dont know what to say other than it was a generalized statement for people to calm down and think about it, use a bit of logic, and google it before having the knee jerk reaction of "omg new mechanic, dont like it".  so if you took offense to that *shrugs* perhaps dont take things not directed at you or anyone in particular so personally??

Well, it is kind of offensive to waltz into a thread accusing other people of not doing their research when you're the one that's out of the loop. There's nothing wrong with being out of the loop! It's just a bit painful to see you accuse everyone else of it with words like "[uncalled-for] drama". I'm assuming you meant well, but it is a rather harsh, unnecessary and inaccurate wording.

logically speaking, for that to exist in a 2 moon system, those moons are either flavor (have no bearing) or they are a 2:1 scale to our owne moon and occupy the same space.

if its anything less, then (as the article i linked points out) there should be no tides, no seasons, no time of day, and coastal life should be non-exisatant because of the gravitational relationship of the 3 objects pushing & pulling against each other.

And yet, 'no time of day' is demonstrably not right, since that depends on the sun, which the moon has no effect on, and planetary rotation. The moon has an effect on latter - it has been slowing Earth down over billions of years, but that's been an incredibly slow process; and all that's done is alter the time span our planet spins, it hasn't spun it up for no spin. (The moon has been forced into tidal lock by the Earth, but not vice versa.)

'No seasons' is also similarly not right, given that relates to axial tilt, which the moon has no effect on (though certainly the event that created the moon might have been the cause of the axial tilt; but the moon itself doesn't affect it; see any other planet in the solar system, really - most impressively Uranus).

'No tides' is also not right, since as soon as two moons align, there will be high tide, and as soon as they are at opposite parts of the planet, there will be low tide.

(Not that I expect any of that to matter anywhere near as much for life on Valkemare as it does on Earth, given Valkemare is no doubt dominantly governed by mana.)

So while you guys are all science-y and stuff, the hatchlings right now be like

user posted image

(doodle drawn by me, LadyLyzar owns le awesome sprite biggrin.gif)

user posted image

xd.png! That's awesome. Troll hatchling is a troll. biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing!

But the hatchling speaks for all new releases! That tension in the last few days. We all try to speculate how they breed, what the adults look like, what colour stripes they breed.

We're all poking at TJ's hatchlings and they respond with that face.

That face exactly.

Fifteen hours to go until we get the first adults. FIFTEEN MORE HOURS, I have no patience to wait that long. sad.gif

Fifteen hours to go until we get the first adults. FIFTEEN MORE HOURS, I have no patience to wait that long. sad.gif

user posted image

I should do that everytime

Well this got complicated quick.

I'd bet that the colours are all probably linked to a specific phase, with gold being waning, and if the moons aren't synced then there'll be a 50/50 chance of getting either of the 2 current colors, the release just happened to be (or maybe TJ planned this) when only 1 colour was active.

As for color of bred eggs, they'll probably either match their parents or act the same as CBs.

And I just realized that my brain can't figure out which spelling of color to use.

Now to get back to poking that troll hatchie with a stick.

user posted image

I should do that everytime

*laughs forever at Stellaluna's awesome hatchling drawing*

Edit: So adding this to the Moon Watch Doc as soon as my computer reconnects to the internet. Will be adding this to the doc, now that my computer has access to the internet! xd.png

Edited by Shokomon

I feel like the color change is based on a rule so simple and once it is announced we will all be like "oh." tongue.gif

I feel like the color change is based on a rule so simple and once it is announced we will all be like "oh." tongue.gif

Which is where this fella comes in handy. xd.png

okay sorry I'll stop xd.png

user posted image

Which is where this fella comes in handy. xd.png

okay sorry I'll stop xd.png

user posted image

Congrats, you made me give 2 of my hatchies names with troll in them. ^^;

Never stop posting that picture. It's just so delightfully perfect. xd.png

Edit: That other picture is also hilarious. xd.png

Edited by Tehya Faye

user posted image

lmfao

+1 and you win the interwebz!!

*snip for space*

1 - and you are missing my point. this site keeps to age old army acronym of KISS "Keep It Simple Stupid"

reguardless of the lore of TJ's world, other mechanism like this that have been intorduced match up with Earth Time.

Season based - for seasons, Zombies and for holidays

Time based- for Night/Day glory Drakes. Sunrise/Sunset & Sunstones/Moonstones, Nocturns & Spirit Wards and recently the Solstices

its simplest and easiest to sync them up with Earths Moon phases.

4 Main Moon phases - 4 Hatchies. its simple logic from there.

and with the Lore in this world being very heavily paralleled to Earths logic, its the most obvious answer as well as in it keeps it simple enough for non-lore caring members to keep track of, non-forum users to understand and keeps along the track record of other mechanic induced breed quarks

2 - i've already stated why a two moon system would have to have moons of equal size for them to remain in orbit. short answer is "because Gravity"

3 - pointing out those systems with multiple moons just highlights my point, because they are planets which lack one thing Valkemare and Earth have. viable and intelligent carbon based life forms.

its a big leap to go from "stable mutli-moon based system, to a stable multi-moon based system that is able to have Life thrive on the base planet.

4 - what i called "drama" was people going "omg new mechanic, dont like and its the end of the world!!" idk why you made the assumption and accusation that i was saying that about other peoples theories. i've specifically stated this multiple times, to include my first post o.0

5 - its not offensive to ask people to give the mechanic a chance and do some googling to see its not really all that complicated or game breaking and nothing to get upset about. neither is it "unnecessary or harsh" what i said. and if someone found my words offensive then perhaps they are coming to the debate of the mechanics of this breed with too much emotional attachment and would be better to re-examine how they are approaching the subject rather than getting their feathers ruffled for nothing? because as it stands, i have nothing to apologize for.

6 - "no time of day" would happen because "Night" is determined by a "lack of sun" but since the moon is merely reflecting the Suns light, given a big enough Moon, or multiple moons, the hypothesis is that eventually you will have enough reflection to be considered Day even when its technically night.

also, linking a wikia page as "proof" for any argument in a debate is meh. its not really a credible source. a good branching point but any of those pages i take with a huge grain of salt and expect inaccuracy. tl;dr Wikipedia isn't a good source and i didnt click it because of that.

and actually the Earth's Gravity has been pushing the Moon away from us; which has had an inverse effect on our ecosystems here on Earth ... but i digress.

7 - actually, with two moons, the effect would depend on where exactly the two moons are in relation to the earth. most two satellite systems have the moons on parallel points of the planet. because gravity would need them to not only be in the sweet spot for the planet, but also the sweet spot for themselves.

but if the Mons are together, then there would be a tide but the high tide and low tide woudl be so extreme to life that coastal life couldn't exist (this is the sort of relationship the first article i linked goes over)

however, realistically speaking, the effect on the earths water would be so tiny that the "tides" would be non-existant, because if there were two satellites they wouldn't occupy the same space.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moontides/

8 - even in a world with Mana and Magic, physics and Gravitational forces still apply. and Earth Based logic is applicable when talking of a carbon based eco system.

"because = magic" is not an acceptable answer imo and is the lazy way out. xd.png

and i say this as an avid player of D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) and a DM who has created her own world with two suns.

so i'm a bit biased and researched when it comes to logical world building on parallel Earth planes.

even with Magic, the laws of Physics still apply. as much as i love the HP series, thats one point that has always urked me, magic use with no down side of negative effect dry.gif its not an endless supply to be tapped and you can't just tirelessly cast spells woman /rant

Edited by Red2111

Never stop posting that picture. It's just so delightfully perfect. xd.png

Edit: That other picture is also hilarious. xd.png

Repost the fella as many times as needed to xd.png

LadyLyzar should totally see it xd.png