Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

I do try not to use incendiary language !

In regard to Hellhorse dragons - I always assumed that if the father was an (orange) Hellfire and the mother a horse, the Hellhorse would be male (orange).
Same that if the mother was a (blue) Hellfire and the father a horse, the Hellhorse would be female (blue)

Has that never been correct, or has it just recently changed?

2 hours ago, RoseRedAus said:

In regard to Hellhorse dragons - I always assumed that if the father was an (orange) Hellfire and the mother a horse, the Hellhorse would be male (orange).
Same that if the mother was a (blue) Hellfire and the father a horse, the Hellhorse would be female (blue)

Has that never been correct, or has it just recently changed?

That has never been correct. Hellhorses can be either male or female regardless of parentage, and can be influenced like any other regular breed.

Edit to add: The only breeds where gender is set are the Valentines and the Holiday dragons (except Hollies and Mistletoes, where non-CBs can also be influenced or gender randomly).

Edited by GhostMouse

31 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

That has never been correct. Hellhorses can be either male or female regardless of parentage, and can be influenced like any other regular breed.

Edit to add: The only breeds where gender is set are the Valentines and the Holiday dragons (except Hollies and Mistletoes, where non-CBs can also be influenced or gender randomly).

Thanks for that. I've been away for a bit, and I must have confused myself somewhere along the way.

Ok, another question.

Going by dragcave wiki Astrael dragons are available in nine colours, with three of those colours (lime, brown and tan) being available from caveborn and the other six are from crossbreeding.
However, I got two cb Astrael eggs recently (now hatched) and one is blue and the other one is white. So is that a new thing?

NEVERMIND - I just realised that pollinate is a thing, so I must have got them in a trade and the other person must have pollinated them.

Edited by RoseRedAus

3 minutes ago, RoseRedAus said:

Ok, another question.

Going by dragcave wiki Astrael dragons are available in nine colours, with three of those colours (lime, brown and tan) being available from caveborn and the other six are from crossbreeding.
However, I got two cb Astrael eggs recently (now hatched) and one is blue and the other one is white. So is that a new thing?

You can only catch them from the cave in the CB colors but once you have the crossbreed colors you can use their "Pollinate" BSA to change any Astrael egg to the color of the Astrael using the BSA. It means someone Pollinated them to be those colors before you got them, so you must have gotten them through a trade or found them in the AP.

It's been like that since Astraels were introduced but of course it took time for players to get adults and figure out the crossbreeding mechanics and discover the BSA.

When not logged in (or incognito), the site has the Sign Up notice with an adult dragon sprite, yeah? How come the sprite is now always the orange Pyropellis and nothing else? 

It used to rotate all kinds of different dragon sprites, which I thought was really neat. (Although maybe the Zombies might have been a bit surprising for anyone not signed up.) I kinda miss that, even if I don't see it that often since I'm logged in.

That's interesting, I feel like I always see orange Pyropellis too for the few times I did log out too, and never even another dragon. Zombies might be just during Halloween? I do know that when Christmas event is live it's replaced with the event banner (token? the blue dragon)

On 1/9/2024 at 6:32 AM, Stromboli said:

As long as they're standard dragons, limited-release dragons can be bitten. I usually make a few vamps every Holiday and Valentine's season. eg: NH4cS, formerly a Sweetling.

At the point it becomes a Vampire Dragon, the egg is no longer a gender-restricted breed so I can't imagine it wouldn't be influencable, though I don't know that I've ever actually bothered to influence one. Gender doesn't matter a ton with vamps 😅

i pretty much always influence my vamps 😂 

it drives me kinda nuts when I end up with a vamp that has a messy ‘bitten by’ bite…. Biteage?…….is that a word? 🤔 
like if the original is male, then there’s 2 females, then another male, then mine, I’ve gotta try and make a coherent pattern from that….. 😩

same with the lineage of my vamps….. if they’re all CBs in the ‘bitten by’ line that’s fine, 

but if not, say the first one is a 3G, then ideally all the lineage from that one to mine is also 3G, and ideally a properly matched lineage, as if it were a mate kinda thing….

but that’s my OCD kicking in…… 🫣🫠

I wouldn’t necessarily abandon a vampire with a messy gender bitten by line, or messy/unmatching lineages in the line….. but like for example, right now I’m breeding a lineage to match the lineage of a vampire line for the purposes of having the ‘goal egg’ bitten by the vamp with the lineage Im trying to copy 😂 😅 

Edited by CandraCat

The new hub rules are excellent. BUT - is the link and the requirement to agree that you've read them only supposed to appear the first time you go to set up a trade ? I don't think that's going to do it; I really think - even though it would be a bit of a pain - that it should reappear every time you go to trade Not literally  every time you trade - if you are setting up several in one sitting that's one thing - but the next time you go to the trade hub., 

28 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The new hub rules are excellent. BUT - is the link and the requirement to agree that you've read them only supposed to appear the first time you go to set up a trade ? I don't think that's going to do it; I really think - even though it would be a bit of a pain - that it should reappear every time you go to trade Not literally  every time you trade - if you are setting up several in one sitting that's one thing - but the next time you go to the trade hub., 

It appears once for you to accept, yes. like a contract. You don't need to sign it more than once, and it continuing to appear would be really annoying.

It does however re-appear if someone incurs a warning, I believe.

I'm willing to bet people will forget the rules.... Maybe have it show up once a day ?

I *think* something is wrong with the trade rule thing. I saw the new thing you need to click and that's awesome, but I also have friends who don't use hub and when they went to do a 1 way transfer, the first time they input their password the page refreshes (teleport not going through), and after that, when they click the public trade, the button you need to click is no longer there (ie, they reportedly never saw the new thing). Is this a known issue?

That's not good - that is probably the likeliest way a newb might start to trade...

12 hours ago, Moriaty said:

I *think* something is wrong with the trade rule thing. I saw the new thing you need to click and that's awesome, but I also have friends who don't use hub and when they went to do a 1 way transfer, the first time they input their password the page refreshes (teleport not going through), and after that, when they click the public trade, the button you need to click is no longer there (ie, they reportedly never saw the new thing). Is this a known issue?

I believe the rules thing pops up only for a public two way trade on the hub, since the issue lies with the hub.

Moriaty said that 

when they click the public trade, the button you need to click is no longer there

The only place you can do a "public trade" IS on the hub.

8 hours ago, Starscream said:

I believe the rules thing pops up only for a public two way trade on the hub, since the issue lies with the hub.

What I meant is that from what I understand, what happened was

1) go to a magi and click one way transfer

1.5) this does not (and should not) bring up the rules since, as said, they aren't selecting public trade option

1.75) if you open the public trade option right now, the rules should theoretically be there (not confirmed as I can't try it now and the friend who experienced the weird thing didn't do that)

2) input password and click return (which should create the one way teleport)

3) page refreshes without creating the teleport

4) at this point, when they select "public trade" option, they do not see the new text and button needed to be clicked, and instead just see the original messages - which means they've somehow agreed to the rules and clicked the button without knowing??

My guess is this might've happened because they tapped the return key instead of clicking the teleport button, and that somehow accepts the terms instead, which could explain why the one way transfer didn't go through when they did that and the new message and button went away when they next check?? Again I'm unsure if this is a fluke or anything, as right now I can't reproduce it and I don't think my friends are able to either (as most people I know have all used teleport after this thing is introduced). If it's not an issue people are experiencing ig feel free to ignore me.

Edited by Moriaty

4 hours ago, Moriaty said:

My guess is this might've happened because they tapped the return key instead of clicking the teleport button, and that somehow accepts the terms instead, which could explain why the one way transfer didn't go through when they did that and the new message and button went away when they next check?? Again I'm unsure if this is a fluke or anything, as right now I can't reproduce it and I don't think my friends are able to either (as most people I know have all used teleport after this thing is introduced). If it's not an issue people are experiencing ig feel free to ignore me.

The return key seems to be it, I tried it myself and it produced the same result.

Well, that's exactly the kind of reason I think the warning needs to appear more than just the once. Not just errors, but people WILL forget rules, and need to be reminded that they promised to follow them (it also covers the fact that over time they might CHANGE !)

No - it was down for about 3 minutes. OK now. You can always check on isupme

It’s been quite a while since I first used the hub…..

im not even sure I even recall reading and agreeing to a trade rule or list of rules. That doesn’t mean I didn’t do it, just that it doesn’t stand out in my mind as an important agreement made over the past couple years.

perhaps for the benefit of those like me, there could be a place where this agreement is posted, just so everyone can see what they agreed to, in case they don’t recall, and there could even be an option to revoke one’s agreement if they for some reason no longer agree to the rules?

im thinking there’s likely already a place where I can find what I agreed to, but I’m not sure if there would be an option to ‘un-agree’ there…… 🤔 

Edited by CandraCat

At the time you agreed to what it said on the trade page when you went to post a public trade. Which was just post what you want and what you have; nothing else, and no links.

Describe what you’re offering and/or help others understand what types of offers you are looking for. If creating a public trade, your message should be applicable to many people using the trading hub, not just a specific person.

Warning: Use of trading messages for any purpose except those stated above may result in disciplinary action, such as loss of ability to create public trades. Off-site links are forbidden.

Now you can see what you now have to agree to in the link under public trades, even after you have agreed. But if you don't agree you technically can't trade, so surely the question is moot.

Have you seen this thread, which is how the new trade page came about ?

8 hours ago, CandraCat said:

perhaps for the benefit of those like me, there could be a place where this agreement is posted, just so everyone can see what they agreed to, in case they don’t recall, and there could even be an option to revoke one’s agreement if they for some reason no longer agree to the rules?

im thinking there’s likely already a place where I can find what I agreed to, but I’m not sure if there would be an option to ‘un-agree’ there…… 🤔 

The link to the rules now appears above the message box for public trades, and is in the help section for Trading. You can review them at any time. There isn't a way to revoke your agreement, but you could choose not to use the public feature if you disagree with the rules, I suppose.

ScreenShot2024-01-16at9_08_46AM.thumb.png.2b41eb258b5675e420b324eddd2c4fdd.png

I think part of the issue here has been the distinction between forum trades and hub trades - this kicked in a bit at the end of the closed thread, where the question was about a trade that couldn't have been done ion the hub any which way. But yes - I agree with you - it's right there to look at - and whenever we play we agree to the rules..

Question about trading etiquette -

If someone doesn't specify what else they are looking for, would it be too much for me to offer different combinations of what I have after being declined?

Should I keep trying with my new catches, or know it's time to give up, before it feels like I'm bothering them too much?

The only item they specified is something I have given away free in the past multiple times and I don't think it's rarer than my offers, but I understand that everyone have different preferences. I haven't been able to see it in the cave recently so I feel a little sad.

I guess the next time they decline my latest offer I will stop attempting to offer again, because I don't want them to feel like being bombed. I'd just hope to hear what's your opinion on offering again and again with different offers?

Edit: OMG THEY ACCEPTED MY 5TH OFFER!!! IM SO HAPPY!!!

Edited by Cute_Dragons