TJ09

2015-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 9th Birthday

I just did the same, lol...misclicked a silver and actually got it...first cb silver in I don't know for how long, lol...crazy.

Oh my,you both are so lucky xd.png I don't even recognize the Gold/Silver egg description in time when I see them .-.

For the record, I wasn't meaning to insinuate that my eggs would be rare, I was just pointing out that just because none of the existing  breeds have been rare doesn't mean that these also aren't going to be rare, or that no drake, pygmy, or two-headed dragon will ever be rare. Precedents can be broken. :3

Lol, very true, although it had also sounded like teasing to me, maybe from my being over-tired?

But naturally, if people suspect that something may be rare, they'll grab what they can while they can in case they can't later (and would anyway load up on new eggs, especially with such adorable hatchies wub.gif ) - and unfortunately, those willing to cheat will find ways to profit from any scarcity, real or perceived, making any rumour of rarity a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Just suggesting that people having trouble catching them right now think before they might tie themselves up for months on trades slower people can manage, which would also feed the cycle. smile.gif

Edit: I suspect that these may be taken so quickly there are far more Dropping than we're actually seeing.

Once the fastest people have reloaded and locked their scrolls again, we may start seeing more in the biomes.

Edited by Syphoneira

It's only the red egg that isn't appearing as much, right? Because I grabbed three of those originally so I only need one more.

My current eggs need to hurry up and hatch. dry.gif

I honestly don't think two-headeds, drakes, and pygmies will be rare. But that's just my personal belief.

Edited by Earth Gurl

It's only the red egg that isn't appearing as much, right? Because I grabbed three of those originally so I only need one more.

They all look about the same to me - dropping like olives but snatched up like golds.

I just got the stupidest urge to sort my whole scroll alphabetically by code >_<

I honestly don't think two-headeds, drakes, and pygmies will be rare. But that's just my personal belief.

I said that yesterday and Odeen was very emphatic in saying that there is always a first time to everything and that they could be rare.

I said that yesterday and Odeen was very emphatic in saying that there is always a first time to everything and that they could be rare.

I feel like the fact that they cannot breed with very many other breeds, they will be, at most, like an "unbreedables" rare. I don't think they can realistically be as rare as a gold or silver.

Edited by Earth Gurl

I feel like the fact that they cannot breed with very many other breeds, they will be, at most, like an "unbreedables" rare. I don't think they can realistically be as rare as a gold or silver.

You're conflating numeric scarcity for scarcity caused by demand. That being said, I don't know that NDEGs (non-dragon egg groups) will ever have the kind of appeal the dragon egg group enjoys. I'd like to see that change.

You're conflating numeric scarcity for scarcity caused by demand. That being said, I don't know that NDEGs (non-dragon egg groups) will ever have the kind of appeal the dragon egg group enjoys. I'd like to see that change.

Adding more NDEG breeds can do nothing but help that wink.gif

I certainly intend to breed them once I can. I have a few cb Pygmies and Drakes to try them with so I imagine other people will try it too.

You certainly have your work cut out for you, my dear.

As long as they are as much common as the other drakes, pygmies and 2 head. A rare breed won't help at all.

One o' mine has 9 hours left to hatch, and the other, 1 day and 2 hours. :/

It'll probably take many more releases for them to become truly rare (like golds/silvers), if they are actually rare. Right now the available mate pool is small enough that there won't be much demand after the first month if the Howler/Glaucus Drake release is any indication, so unless things change a lot in the next few months they'd be uncommon and possibly hard to catch, but still quite obtainable to the average player.

Not that I'd particularly mind that, since it'd mean expanded breeding options.

As long as they are as much common as the other drakes, pygmies and 2 head. A rare breed won't help at all.

Can you please back this up with logic? A rare breed is, generally, more desirable to breed than a common breed. The only reason commons are bred is for their looks. Rares are bred both for their looks, and their scarcity. Do you honestly think Golds/Silvers would be bred more than they are now if they were just a random common, and that's all they'd ever been? A rare breed promotes breeding of itself, as A.) it is a challenge and B.) the offspring has value. All I see you are saying is "a rare breed won't help". Why won't it help?

Edited by The_Bucket

Can you please back this up with logic? A rare breed is, generally, more desirable to breed than a common breed. The only reason commons are bred is for their looks. Rares are bred both for their looks, and their scarcity. Do you honestly think Golds/Silvers would be bred more than they are now if they were just a random common, and that's all they'd ever been? A rare breed promotes breeding of itself, as A.) it is a challenge and B.) the offspring has value. All I see you are saying is "a rare breed won't help". Why won't it help?

Because we have a lot of dragons that aren't justifiably rare. Coppers weren't supposed to be rare. Almandines and Spessartines weren't supposed to be rare. But now we've got numerous breeds that are rare that really don't need to be. Why add more? I do hope these guys won't be rare, but maybe because they have limited breeding options they won't.

I don't completely agree with this. A rare drake or two head may be a nice thing for their breeds. People will finally see them more valuable. They will be asked in trades for nice things and people will look for them, but since they can't breed with regular dragons even the other drakes and two heads would be picked up to pair them with their new rare mate.

Maybe a rare drake(two heed/pigmy is exactly what we need to bring more attention to those breeds.

A rare breed is only good for trade fodder, you don't see people distributing lineages with golds and silvers or coppers or shimmers all around the forum. The rares are only valuable if they are CB - you don't see people asking for 2nd and 3rd gens of golds, coppers or silvers anywhere, they want CB. The only valuable 2ndG and 3rdG are the shimmers because they are even more rare than golds or silvers. The trade marketing is not the game, the game is to collect and breed dragons. You don't see many people breeding rares but commons because, as I saw posted in the forum many times, you need more than 12 CB to start a lineage and who have 12 cb golds or 12 cb silvers? In almost 3 years of game I only have 1 CB gold and 4 cb silvers.

If golds and silvers were commons I would sure become a collector and a breeder. But they are too difficult to obtain so I breed nocturnals.

A rare breed won't help in make drakes and 2 heads more collected, for sure. The people who will collect a rare drake or a rare 2 head are the same who collect 2g shimmers. The fanbase willl continue to ignore these breeds since they are unacessible.

If they're rare than I'm pretty sure people will catch them for trade fodder more than to start their own lineages, sure. But I do agree that those non-dragon egg groups need more attention. It would take a lot more releases though for people to be interested in them I feel...

Sucks, I should've grabbed more. Sounds like they're like Pyralspite status now (minus the Volcano Pyral). D:

A rare breed won't help in make drakes and 2 heads more collected, for sure. The people who will collect a rare drake or a rare 2 head are the same who collect 2g shimmers. The fanbase willl continue to ignore these breeds since they are unacessible.

I sure don't have a thing that I could trade to get a 2gen shimmer or tinsel - far too rare for my Scroll, I'm afraid. Not sure I'd care for yet another dragon that only the elite can have.

A rare breed is only good for trade fodder, you don't see people distributing lineages with golds and silvers or coppers or shimmers all around the forum. The rares are only valuable if they are CB - you don't see people asking for 2nd and 3rd gens of golds, coppers or silvers anywhere, they want CB. The only valuable 2ndG and 3rdG are the shimmers because they are even more rare than golds or silvers. The trade marketing is not the game, the game is to collect and breed dragons. You don't see many people breeding rares but commons because, as I saw posted in the forum many times, you need more than 12 CB to start a lineage and who have 12 cb golds or 12 cb silvers? In almost 3 years of game I only have 1 CB gold and 4 cb silvers.

If golds and silvers were commons I would sure become a collector and a breeder. But they are too difficult to obtain so I breed nocturnals.

I think at the heart of it you are projecting your personal opinions and collecting/breeding styles on the DC playerbase as a whole. There are plenty of people who create, swap, and gift lineages involving rare dragons (most of my gold/deep sea lineage golds didn't come from my own breedings; they were gifts and trades). There is a rich and flowering breeding community who readily swap with one another to progress their own lineages, and you can make your own lineage if you cannot find one you like.

NDEG dragons are less ubiquitously desirable because they have fewer breeding options - every time a new one is released, those breeding options increase along with interest in the egg group as a whole. I believe there is a critical mass point where having a rare breed mixed in with the rest of its group would boost the egg group's popularity most, because variety and challenge are way more fun than homogeneity.

Could it not just be that the ratios are off because there was a 24 hour drop rather than the usual drop time?

There are plenty of people who create, swap, and gift lineages involving rare dragons (most of my gold/deep sea lineage golds didn't come from my own breedings; they were gifts and trades). There is a rich and flowering breeding community who readily swap with one another to progress their own lineages, and you can make your own lineage if you cannot find one you like.

Then please, point me the direction to find these people. Where are they? Because they are not in this forum, for sure.

Cannot find any of the babies in the Alpine, was hoping to see a few more but they seem to have disappeared sleep.gif Oh well..

I am hoping it is just another glitch but probably not xd.png

1. A rare breed is only good for trade fodder, you don't see people distributing lineages with golds and silvers or coppers or shimmers all around the forum.

2. you don't see people asking for 2nd and 3rd gens of golds, coppers or silvers anywhere

3. The fanbase willl continue to ignore these breeds since they are unacessible.

1. Actually, I do... look at Departures. I constantly see people giving away checkered metals and stairstep prizes.

2. A quick look at 'a dragon trading thread' showed me three different people offering nice things like CB Coppers 1:1 for 2G golds/silvers.

3. This is the part that fundamentally does not make sense. Many people go after a breed specifically because it's difficult to get. I don't see a whole lot of people pretending CB Golds and Silvers don't exist - I see them trying to trade for or catch them.

1. Actually, I do... look at Departures. I constantly see people giving away checkered metals and stairstep prizes.

2. A quick look at 'a dragon trading thread' showed me three different people offering nice things like CB Coppers 1:1 for 2G golds/silvers.

3. This is the part that fundamentally does not make sense. Many people go after a breed specifically because it's difficult to get. I don't see a whole lot of people pretending CB Golds and Silvers don't exist - I see them trying to trade for or catch them.

The forum represents what? 1% of the fanbase? 2% of the fanbase? 3%?

The game is not what happens in the forum. The forum is minority. So a minority play trades, the majority plays only collections in their scrolls.

So yes, I keep what I said, a rare 2 head or a rare drake won't make people collect them more. The 2% who play trades will collect them to trade, this doesn't mean the whole group of drakes or 2 head will be more popular.