TJ09

2015-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 9th Birthday

Simple: the rarer a dragon is, less people will collect them. If a rare dragon also happens to be a 2 head or a drake, which can't breed with the other dragons, then even less people will collect them.

I can't explain better than this.

The desire to collect doesn't preclude assignment of rarity. That is the logical gap in your reasoning.

Simple: the rarer a dragon is, less people will collect them. If a rare dragon also happens to be a 2 head or a drake, which can't breed with the other dragons, then even less people will collect them.

People will always collect/make lineages with rares. They're rare and that makes them desirable. That still has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a non-dragon can be released as a rare, which is where we're not seeing eye to eye. "If this was rare, I don't think anybody would collect it" does not equate to "this cannot be rare".

Bu what about the Drakes?

I like the Glories now let me see the adults to determine if i want a lineage with Day and Night Glories and the new Drake breed.

I cannot decide if i like the Pygmy or the Two-Headed the most. wacko.gif

Maybe the Drakes are good mates for the Howlers? unsure.gif

And it helped that i said on my birhtday in early May more Pygmies! tongue.gif

Just caught a pair of each, and can't wait to see the adults biggrin.gif all of them seem super cute, thanks TJ and spriters!!

Happy birthday, DC!

(Also do the rosettes remind anyone else of mint chocolate chip ice cream?? Because wow. I love them already)

People will always collect/make lineages with rares. They're rare and that makes them desirable. That still has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a non-dragon can be released as a rare, which is where we're not seeing eye to eye. "If this was rare, I don't think anybody would collect it" does not equate to "this cannot be rare".

Oh but I never said "this can not be rare". If TJ decide to make a pygmy rare, it will be rare, it will drop in small quantities in the cave. But then, very few people will collect them because they are rare and even less people will collect them because they can't be bred with the other dragons. This is my observations during my time as a DC member.

But of course, TJ can decide any dragon rarity, see the coppers. The spriter told many times that coppers wouldn't be rare but TJ made them rare. And we barely see coppers anywhere except in the trade market.

Good thing I went to catch an Undine egg smile.gif)) Would have missed the release otherwise, as usual.

This does not make any sense. If anything, the more common a dragon is, the less people will collect it. Rare dragons are desirable because they are rare, and so many people will collect them even if they do not like the sprite. If I like any of these dragons, I will collect a pile of them. No matter if they are as common as a Waterhorse or as rare as a Copper. Look at what has happened with unbreedables such as Cheeses, Papers and Dinos. They are rare, and while they are not desirable to some because they can't breed, lots of people are still happy to grab them. In this case though, they actually can breed, just with a select variety of dragons.

I'm sorry, but I'm really not seeing your logic.

Oh but I never said "this can not be rare". If TJ decide to make a pygmy rare, it will be rare, it will drop in small quantities in the cave. But then, very few people will collect them because they are rare and even less people will collect them because they can't be bred with the other dragons. This is my observations during my time as a DC member.

But of course, TJ can decide any dragon rarity, see the coppers. The spriter told many times that coppers wouldn't be rare but TJ made them rare. And we barely see coppers anywhere except in the trade market.

You see coppers in the trade market because they're desirable, which means people do collect them - quite avidly in fact. My original comment was made in response to Lurhstaap's suggestion that a non-dragon egg would not be rare because all of the current non-dragons aren't rare.

The reason rare dragons "disappear" from the cave is not because they're not being collected - on the contrary, you just don't see them because they are immediately snatched up to be collected or used as trade fodder. Rarity equals value, to some extent, and there are enthusiastic collectors and breeders for all egg groups who I'm sure would actually delight in seeing more variety in all aspects of said egg groups. Sure, fewer people have rare dragons (or rather, lots of people have fewer of them, but that doesn't mean they're not being collected or appreciated or used in lineage projects - it just makes those endeavors more challenging. I for one appreciate a challenge, and see no reason why perceived future scarcity should ever affect a spriter's or T.J.'s decision to classify a new breed as rare.

I think what danicast was trying to say is that rare dragons are a disappointment to many members because they can't catch them - not that they couldn't be rare, but that it sucks for many of us if they are.

The Coppers were UnCommons only, but because beautiful and in demand, like the Blusang and the Coastal and Alpine Pyralspites, entered not only the ranks of the desirable, but the lists of 'trade fodder' suitable to use in offers for 2nd gen gen Prizes, which effectively shuts many members out of being able to collect and breed them.

Therefore, those here to collect dragons but who cannot afford or otherwise manage fast systems dread rares.

You see coppers in the trade market because they're desirable, which means people do collect them - quite avidly in fact. My original comment was made in response to Lurhstaap's suggestion that a non-dragon egg would not be rare because all of the current non-dragons aren't rare.

The reason rare dragons "disappear" from the cave is not because they're not being collected - on the contrary, you just don't see them because they are immediately snatched up to be collected or used as trade fodder. Rarity equals value, to some extent, and there are enthusiastic collectors and breeders for all egg groups who I'm sure would actually delight in seeing more variety in all aspects of said egg groups. Sure, fewer people have rare dragons (or rather, lots of people have fewer of them, but that doesn't mean they're not being collected or appreciated or used in lineage projects - it just makes those endeavors more challenging. I for one appreciate a challenge, and see no reason why perceived future scarcity should ever affect a spriter's or T.J.'s decision to classify a new breed as rare.

Oh but I think beautiful commons are even more desirable than rares. You see the gemshards? People were fighting for them in the cave for weeks and they are not rare. But they are gorgeous so everyone wanted them in all colors. I have 10 of each color myself and I don't usually collect much more than 10-12 dragons of each breed. But the gemshards were too tempting so I hunted till I have 10 of each color. I still see lots of people collecting them and trading for them everywhere. They maybe don't have market value for not being rare but they clearly are desired because they are gorgeous.

I'm rooting that these new dragons will be beautiful as gemshards to make me want to hoard them.

Edited by danicast

I'm really glad I finally have my Gold Trophy. I'm able to have two of each, influenced to be breeding pairs, and one extra egg. Yay~

Oh but I think beautiful commons are even more desirable than rares. You see the gemshards? People were fighting for them in the cave for weeks and they are not rare. But they are gorgeous so everyone wanted them in all colors. I have 10 of each color myself and I don't usually collect much more than 10-12 dragons of each breed. But the gemshards were too tempting so I hunted till I have 10 of each color. I still see lots of people collecting them and trading for them everywhere. They maybe don't have market value for not being rare but they clearly are desired because they are gorgeous.

Exactly.

And many of us preferred it when members overall tended more to place individual value on dragons each according to our own needs and tastes, rather than having the trade valuations overwhelm these to a point where dragons we may not be able to get at all and which we value for their sprites and breeding potential are often snatched up only as a means to something else.

Edit: must remember sticky key syndrome and get ALL of the letters in place...

And also to add that obviously the spriter can determine the rarity level of her/his created sprites, but equally obviously, those who are unable to obtain them due to a rare designation will be unhappy about it.

Edited by Syphoneira

Oh joy! No new spriters!

That's either terribly mean to our lovely aspiring artist community or a jab at the existing ones.

C'mon, be a sport.

I do find it more exciting when 2/3rds of a release aren't from the exact same spriters as the last release, personally.

Edit: It's actually the release before last I was thinking of. Still, the same principle applies, because the last multi-breed release was 2/3rds the same spriters as this, going by the hatchling credits.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

I do find it more exciting when 2/3rds of a release aren't from the exact same spriters as the last release, personally.

None of these are Cami's projects though. oO

None of these are Cami's projects though. oO

That's exactly what I was thinking! Lol

Seriously though, however that comment was meant, it was rude.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Lol

Seriously though, however that comment was meant, it was rude.

I do not even know why it was made, nor what it meant O.o

I'm locked right now, but I really wanted to get another green-rosette egg so I could Influence a pair. :( I want to get rid of my Cheese, but I wouldn't feel right just abandoning it. Here's to hoping that I can either trade it quickly, or that none of these new releases will be rare.

I look forward to seeing what all of these grow into because the spriters have all done good work on previous dragons.