TJ09

2015-03-13 - Site Redesign Launch

- The Background - no matter how really beautiful it is - is making me dizzy/motion sick, especially when scrolling. My eyes just want to focus on both the foreground and the background at the same time, and since the background also moves when scrolling, just at a much slower pace, it messes with my eyes.

It is strange for me, but it doesn't really cause motion-sickness with me.

What does aggravate my eyes, though, is how BRIGHT the lefthand side of the image is. Especially in a darker room. I adblocked the background image for this reason (my browser's default background color is black) - you could try doing the same if the image causes you motion-sickness?

Hmm, I only just noticed that the background moved as well. I usually just hit the space bar to scroll down very quickly, so I think my eyes were focused too much on where I was on my scroll to notice the background. I tried scrolling with my trackpad, and I can see how that would make people a bit dizzy.

I love the font too! wub.gif

I've always liked that one (although I can't for the life of me remember its name right now).

That font's called 'France' and I've loved and used it a LOT. I'm still not having ANY loading issues, that lovely background is causing me no problems. LOVE the clock, love the new navigation bar - just really love everything about the new change. 'Grats to all artists/designers involved.

It looks great! Though, I think I'll be sticking with the Portal skin. It's a bit easier on the eyes for me. ^_^

I have to admit that I am a little biased on the new design.

I definitely do like the background - it's beautiful as a piece of art, so thank you Nakase for making it, it's really pretty! smile.gif

And the clock is great - as someone with a really different time zone that will make it so much easier to finally get DC time right - and I don't mind at all that it's static, I just need the hour orientation, for the minutes and seconds I do have my computer clock, that's enough.

(Plus the little sun / moon to indicate which time of the day it is... I like it! smile.gif )

The new logo is also amazing, in my opinion - I always liked that font, and it's put together really nice with the dragon and egg picture.

I do not like the font everywhere else, to be honest, as it's just... smaller for me, and much harder to read. I cannot zoom in, because that makes the dragon pictures dizzy... So well, I guess I just have to get used to it.

I also do not like the new navigation bar... It's just to tiny up there, I always click the wrong links. ;P But I think I might get used to that as well.

The look of lineage and view pages somehow irritates me as well. I think there's just not enough space on the top of the scroll, so between the upper end of the content and the top of the "scroll" thing (I hope you get what I mean). Especially 2Gs look a little weird in lineage view when the black of the top kind of fades into the upper third of the lineage (I'm sorry for not being that clear, I don't know a better way to subscribe it...).

And I cannot say anything on the moving background, because for me it simply doesn't move. xd.png I figured out it might be due to using NoScript. So for people who like the background, but don't like it moving because it makes them sick - that might be an option, if you are using Firefox. But like this I'm not able to see the lower half of the picture, because, well... the background doesn't move. ;P

Well, those are just my two cents on the new layout - all together it's lovely and I really appreciate the work gone into it, smile.gif so please do not nail me on my "negative" aspects, I just wanted to be honest. wink.gif

(Edit: As people repeatedly noticed them I can only say that I don't have any lag problems and my scroll sort works well as well, using alternate sort. Maybe it's because my background doesn't move, but that would be just a random guess.)

Edited by NightEagle

Well, this was definitely a surprise, the new background art is lovely and I like the inclusion of the site clock. Nice work and thanks to everyone involved!

I'd love to see the classic background as one of the options for the site layouts though, because I feel it would be a shame if it was lost and forgotten. Pretty please? wink.gif

It looks great! Though, I think I'll be sticking with the Portal skin. It's a bit easier on the eyes for me. happy.gif

Agreed, I find the tan background on the older design and this new one to be too grating on my eyes.

Also a big fan of portal smile.gif

Saying that, I still think the new design is very unique and pretty!

Oh the background looks awesome! And the clock is nice addition, when is it launching though? Because I can't see it on the actual website with my dragons and such.

Oh the background looks awesome! And the clock is nice addition, when is it launching though? Because I can't see it on the actual website with my dragons and such.

Are you on a mobile device? For computers, it's already launched.

It is strange for me, but it doesn't really cause motion-sickness with me.

What does aggravate my eyes, though, is how BRIGHT the lefthand side of the image is. Especially in a darker room. I adblocked the background image for this reason (my browser's default background color is black) - you could try doing the same if the image causes you motion-sickness?

Thank you! I never thought of that since I'm not using adblock at all on Dragcave. smile.gif That really helps (my default is also black).

I feel bad for blocking the image sad.gif it's such a beautiful piece of art *sighs* stupid eyes and stupid motionsickness.

Edited by DPucey

absolutely breath taking xd.png

a platinum trophy to whoever drew this amazing background wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

I like the new default okay, but the scrolling hurts eyes, and also tiny font is too tiny to those w/ visual issues.

I would like to see the old tan page as an extra choice.

Having the clock at some pt on all choices would be helpful. smile.gif

I have to admit, it does look nice...

and DC decided to celebrate with me by killing one of my eggs from sickness :T

Still cool though.

Hmm, I do notice something odd now. There is a dark line through every lineage page, as though there is a single pixel line of the background poping through all across the page. Is anyone else noticing this? I'm using Chrome.

Hmm, I do notice something odd now. There is a dark line through every lineage page, as though there is a single pixel line of the background poping through all across the page. Is anyone else noticing this? I'm using Chrome.

Many have done; it's connected with your zoom size. I forget whether it helps to zoom in or out, but one of them works xd.png

Many have done; it's connected with your zoom size. I forget whether it helps to zoom in or out, but one of them works xd.png

Oh, thank you! That must be why I didn't notice it before! I think I zoomed out to look at a larger view of the completed breed request list.

Hmm, it's pretty and I can tell that a lot of thought was put into it, but I think I'll keep using Portal Light smile.gif

But well done, TJ and artists!

Just decided to log into Dragon Cave, and was surprised with the new site design - Wow! Love it so far! biggrin.gif Thanks TJ and artists! biggrin.gif

Edited by LumosSeeker148