TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

As I said, I have a life and I don't have time to sit around clicking each breed 15 times. The count will still be wrong in any event. The situation penalizes the most loyal dragon cavers, and there is no getting around that reality unless changes are made.

You need to stop implying everyone else doesn't have a life.. because it doesn't take much to click 15 of a breed in fact the time you're taking to complain is the time you could use to click but NOOOOOO you'd rather sit here and whine

You guys have just received an empty notebook which you've proudly called an "encyclopedia". Do you think it's going to magically fill itself? d: That's from logical sorta-lore side. From technical side, however - YOU'RE PLAYING A PET SITE. Collecting. Breeding. Lineages. Clicking. You're going to "waste life" on pixels no matter what, it's the nature of these games. I think it's pretty obvious D:

The Encyclopedia is here.

No Need to click everything within a few hours.

You breed/raise Dragons anyway.

You click every Dragon you breed, you click on AP eggs, you click on eggs you want to Abandon, etcetera.

If an Encyclopedia entry unlocks only in a year's time, does it matter?

I will not just continue doing this, I just wanted to see what it Looks like when copletely unlocked...

It's a bit like the DC Wiki, but with a lot more info.

I enjoy it biggrin.gif

But it's true, I'd love to see my thousands of Dragons reported, especially with my Project of 8th Gen PB all on my scroll...

Edited by lilysally

Ooh, this is pretty cool. I like the world info.

I kind of wish it had already taken into account all the dragons we already own, though. Being told I've "observed" one adult Sunsong when I have 150+ is kind of... odd. ;___;

Well, you can click them all for observations, I suppose ...

You guys have just received an empty notebook which you've proudly called an "encyclopedia". Do you think it's going to magically fill itself?

I don't call it an encyclopedia. I call it an empty notebook. One I have technically already filled quite a bit over the years via the notes on my scroll from the dragons I have already collected. But they don't count and my encyclopedia will never be 'right" since it is telling me I have ZERO of a breed when I have hundreds of them.

If I want to know something extra about a dragon, I will just go to the Wiki, which has info available when I am actually needing it--yanno, when I am looking for it. I know eventually my personal DC encyclopedia will fill up as I collect more dragons, and wow, so what. I am very unlikely to ever bother to go back there to look around because of the shenanigans involved in making it useful to begin with. This should have been called something other than an encyclopedia, which implies it is a collection of information that is readily available. It should have been called something like the Secret Tomes, which does connote a need for a bit of work to "unlock" added info.

I know this is a click site, and I accepted that when I signed up to collect dragons. Each halloween and Spring, I agree to extra clicking to gather candy and eggs. This encyclopedia? Nope, not going to bother.

Unlike what seems to be an overwhelming population here....I like to take my time and enjoy aspects of the game. I find this Encyclopedia an excellent addition and I look forward to exploring it. I'm not in a hurry to 'beat the game' as it were and fill all of my information in by 6pm tomorrow morning or whatever.

Thank you TJ for this. I am going to enjoy slowly recording all of my current and future dragons. smile.gif

Same as IvoryRaven15, I've been waiting for this to come out and I can't be more excited! I might spend a ridiculous amount of time now to unlock a dragon completely though haha.

I think it's just great that everyone starts at 0, and we all click plenty already anyway!

Well, you can click them all for observations, I suppose ...

Doesn't seem it'll do me any good, unfortunately. I was clicking through my Whites, and after only doing a couple I'm now required to go look at hatchlings instead to unlock more information. The entirety of DDF only has 3 White hatchlings on it right now and I need to get to 15... T___T;;

(Well, I mean, you're right in that it'll tick the observation count up. But I'm not motivated enough to do it when I'm not even gaining the info for it. OTL)

Meh. I'm glad some people are excited to work through unlocking stuff, but I would have been much happier if all my previous work had meant something and I could just sit back, relax, and enjoy some cool new info.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

You'll casually unlock things as you are doing your every day breeding.. clicking on eggs in the AP. I love the idea of something that just builds up over time, as you do your normal every day routines. Sure, there are some things I'm going to want to go unlock ASAP, but thankfully, theres only a few breeds that I want unlocked ASAP. Its not a race.. I'm sure within a few days, the information for almost everything will end up copied over to the wiki.. so it will be readable pretty quickly without having to do the work.

As for it not having my current dragons listed.. Yay, I have an excuse to go click all the dragons I ignore on my scroll.. check out their dates and biomes.. maybe even name them. I've been meaning to get around to that.

Doesn't seem it'll do me any good, unfortunately. I was clicking through my Whites, and after only doing a couple I'm now required to go look at hatchlings instead to unlock more information. The entirety of DDF only has 3 White hatchlings on it right now and I need to get to 15... T___T;;

(Well, I mean, you're right in that it'll tick the observation count up. But I'm not motivated enough to do it when I'm not even gaining the info for it. OTL)

Oh, no worries, as far as I can tell, you'll still get use out of clicking your adults laugh.gif As I did some "observing" on Pinks, it looks like there's something unlocked every so-and-so-many hatchlings, adults, then again hatchlings, adults etc. Those 15 are just the lowest next stage for you, it seems, but in the meantime, you still get new factoids for your adults, if I "observed" that on my Pink fact sheet correctly. laugh.gif

Hey TJ, I have a problem with the encyclopedia.

All breeds say they are "Not unlocked", but I have most of the breeds found in the game.

I think I know why: My scroll have a space on it's name. 'Andre Miles', and on the url 'Andre%20Miles' (yes I play for a loooong time).

Can you fix the Dragon Encyclopedia for me? I don't want to stay out haha, but please don't change the name of my scroll...

And THANKS for this awesome game, TJ. biggrin.gif

Edit:

OH! Thanks Ruby Eyes. I don't know I have to click on them to unlock on encylopedia.

Edited by Andre Miles

Just *having* them doesn't help you, you need to click them - pay attention to them, observe wink.gif

My name has a space in it, too, and I did get to do quite some unlocking.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Oooohhh, yay! It's released to the rest of us mortals. OuO

Time to go view a bunch of dragons.

I was looking forward to the encyclopedia, but this

"The encyclopedia is starting from scratch to give everyone the chance to fill out the encyclopedia (rather than having it all already unlocked for them)."

just made me not care about it at all.

We all don't have the same chances of getting dragons, but we all have the same chance to fill the encyclopedia since viewing other's people dragons count.

So not counting all the time we already spent raising Dragons doesn't give "everyone the chance" because as it works everyone already has the chance!

So it just doesn't make sense, but it does undervalue all our time raising Dragons so far which isn't fair.

So... hey, for now I'll just ignore the encyclopedia and keep playing normally.

I'm sorry for everyone who has worked so hard on it, but this isn't fair and there is not reason for it to be like this.

Edited by Nakuru

I'm actually happy about this chance to fill it on my own, in my own pace, reading factoids bit by bit, rather than just getting a big pile of text thrown upon me.

For some reason, clicking on my hatchies and eggs don't seem to be adding up right?

I clicked on all of them and it only registered 2 clicks for eggs.

The adult clicks see to be adding up fine though.

How exactly does the clicking work in this?

I've clicked on my pygmies (those are what I'm testing this on) so many times to check lineages.

The adults aren't gaining more clicks but they're still counted in the encyclopedia.

But they don't count and my encyclopedia will never be 'right" since it is telling me I have ZERO of a breed when I have hundreds of them.

I love the encyclopedia addition! But this is the one thing that bothers me... I like that I have to unlock everything, but I do wish the stats were accurate. Or at least represented accurately... like instead of "you have zero red dragons" it could say "you have raised zero red dragons since 10/22/14" or something like that. Of course, I'd rather it had our real counts, even if they don't "count" towards the unlocking process.

Edited by PolarVortex

Has anyone found a dragon which has any observations about it?

A lot of them have observations. Try coppers, shadow walkers, white, blacks...

A lot of them have observations. Try coppers, shadow walkers, white, blacks...

Thanks biggrin.gif

Now to research them all biggrin.gif

EDIT:

I'd rather the dragon count was accurate, as it would be cool to know how many of each smile.gif

Edited by Emeraldmay

Thanks biggrin.gif

Now to research them all biggrin.gif

EDIT:

I'd rather the dragon count was accurate, as it would be cool to know how many of each smile.gif

Me too, was hoping for an accurate count of the dragons already on our scroll =X

...This is freakin' weird. I have 20 Pink dragons and I clicked all of them, but the Pink dragon on the Encyclopedia still won't register. It still shows "breed not unlocked".

Whoever came up with the idea that "clicking 15 of the breed" will unlock it was wrong. dry.gif

Edited by Beldarius