TheNumericDolfin

Who keeps breeding one egg to abandon? Massbreed

2 hours ago, Dragon_Tamer_Rita said:

What is with the current Salt Wall?

That was me, see the post at the end of the previous page. :P

16 hours ago, Firefury Amahira said:

That was me, see the post at the end of the previous page. :P

I managed to nab a few interestingly coded salts from that wall yesterday! When I woke up an hour ago it's already gone though, thanks for the massbreed that helped lowering the AP time!

finally had the patience to breed most of my terrae, so look forward to a short-lived 200 egg wall in a few days ; )

On 2/2/2022 at 7:42 PM, steeve said:

finally had the patience to breed most of my terrae, so look forward to a short-lived 200 egg wall in a few days ; )

Oh, so that's what's been eating the entire abandoned section for the last two hours or so...

And here I was wondering if someone had some actually-evil galaxy-brain plan of flooding the abandoned section with commons en-masse to force more people to pick up eggs from the wild / biomes in order to hunt for CB rares...

1 hour ago, XalthorTheWise said:

Oh, so that's what's been eating the entire abandoned section for the last two hours or so...

And here I was wondering if someone had some actually-evil galaxy-brain plan of flooding the abandoned section with commons en-masse to force more people to pick up eggs from the wild / biomes in order to hunt for CB rares...

you know, that's a far more clever plan than my current plan of 'haha what if i made a terrae wall because i like looking at terrae eggs'. maybe next week i'll resist egglocking myself with my own AP'd eggs. ; )

4 minutes ago, steeve said:

you know, that's a far more clever plan than my current plan of 'haha what if i made a terrae wall because i like looking at terrae eggs'. maybe next week i'll resist egglocking myself with my own AP'd eggs. ; )

I mean, again, still new around here so I'm not familiar with all the community outlook on that sort of thing, and whether or not that it would be frowned upon, but I'd imagine it'd be entirely possible if you avoid egglocking yourself. Or if you do get egglocked but you have a friend who plays DragonCave too, you could just tell them when the wall's likely to hit the AP so they can go fishing for rares for their own purposes. It's a horrifying thought, in a most deviously beautiful way.

... I think I've been watching too much Let's Game It Out and The Spiffing Brit lately. Maybe I need to chill out more before I pop on here.

Whoever was responsible for that Skysilk flood a handful of days ago, thanks for that! I found 6 beautiful messies in that wall, I needed more good Skysilks. 

2 hours ago, XalthorTheWise said:

This probably isn't very likely to make a difference, the AP flooding with commons doesn't necessarily mean more people will be picking up commons in the biomes and even then it'd be a very low chance that would actually lead to a rare showing up. 

1 hour ago, XalthorTheWise said:

I mean, again, still new around here so I'm not familiar with all the community outlook on that sort of thing, and whether or not that it would be frowned upon, but I'd imagine it'd be entirely possible if you avoid egglocking yourself. Or if you do get egglocked but you have a friend who plays DragonCave too, you could just tell them when the wall's likely to hit the AP so they can go fishing for rares for their own purposes. It's a horrifying thought, in a most deviously beautiful way.

... I think I've been watching too much Let's Game It Out and The Spiffing Brit lately. Maybe I need to chill out more before I pop on here.

Typically I don't think the community really cares about a player catching their own eggs out of an AP wall... they're more likely to be annoyed that there's an AP in the first place. :P Goodness knows I've caught MANY of my own blacktips out of the AP since I began hoarding them in 2018!

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Whoever was responsible for that Skysilk flood a handful of days ago, thanks for that! I found 6 beautiful messies in that wall, I needed more good Skysilks. 

This probably isn't very likely to make a difference, the AP flooding with commons doesn't necessarily mean more people will be picking up commons in the biomes and even then it'd be a very low chance that would actually lead to a rare showing up. 

5 hours ago, Firefury Amahira said:

Typically I don't think the community really cares about a player catching their own eggs out of an AP wall... they're more likely to be annoyed that there's an AP in the first place. :P Goodness knows I've caught MANY of my own blacktips out of the AP since I began hoarding them in 2018!

My thought was that if the AP is heavily oversaturated with one specific kind of egg, then unless other people are willing to collect nothing but that same kind of egg, they'll turn either to breeding their own dragons, or picking up CB eggs. It's all conjecture on my part, but I did notice that during that Terrae egg wall, the number of users viewing the AP dropped sharply, accompanied by a not massive but definitely noticeable jump in the number of users viewing each of the biomes/habitats that decreased back down around the same time non-Terrae eggs started filtering back into the AP, and at the same time, AP user numbers started climbing up again. Again though, this is just conjecture and that could have been a fluke; I just noticed it and it felt like it might've been connected. Maybe someone with waaay more DragonCave knowledge than me, a lot of time to kill,  a passion for killing said time and their own massive walls of dragons to breed could look into experimenting with how flooding the AP with no-BSA commons might theoretically influence where people go for their eggs?

13 hours ago, XalthorTheWise said:

My thought was that if the AP is heavily oversaturated with one specific kind of egg, then unless other people are willing to collect nothing but that same kind of egg, they'll turn either to breeding their own dragons, or picking up CB eggs. It's all conjecture on my part, but I did notice that during that Terrae egg wall, the number of users viewing the AP dropped sharply, accompanied by a not massive but definitely noticeable jump in the number of users viewing each of the biomes/habitats that decreased back down around the same time non-Terrae eggs started filtering back into the AP, and at the same time, AP user numbers started climbing up again. Again though, this is just conjecture and that could have been a fluke; I just noticed it and it felt like it might've been connected. Maybe someone with waaay more DragonCave knowledge than me, a lot of time to kill,  a passion for killing said time and their own massive walls of dragons to breed could look into experimenting with how flooding the AP with no-BSA commons might theoretically influence where people go for their eggs?

Huh, might be. A lot of folks will focus on shoveling out the wall. Well, next time I sit down and blow an entire day massbreeding over 2,300 blacktips (tends to result in a nearly 40-hour AP wall, +/- about 10 depending on AP times when it hits) I'll let folks in here know and maybe we can try to get some better observational data on that!

EDIT TO ADD: Speaking of which, though still not a mega-massbreed, I did just breed 300 pairs and chuck 177 2g PB blacktips at the AP.

Edited by Firefury Amahira

5 hours ago, Firefury Amahira said:

Huh, might be. A lot of folks will focus on shoveling out the wall. Well, next time I sit down and blow an entire day massbreeding over 2,300 blacktips (tends to result in a nearly 40-hour AP wall, +/- about 10 depending on AP times when it hits) I'll let folks in here know and maybe we can try to get some better observational data on that!

As much as I've already come to love lurking on the AP page for even hours if necessary snagging hatchlings off the AP to see what unusual abandoned delights I come across in my week or so around, losing the ability to do so would be a sacrifice I'd be willing to make. For science! And my poor fingers could use a break, going crab-claw-fingered to hold Ctrl and mash F5 several hours on end.

So, for the fun of it, theory time!

According to the wiki, there was something called an AP block, which I vaguely remember back from when I first tried Dragon Cave back in 2013 or so. Is it possible that older users may have a "help pitch in and clear the wall" mindset thanks to habits built by AP blocking back in the day, while newer users, only used to a Dragon Cave with even more unique dragons to collect than ever before and no AP blocking might be more interested in collecting a variety of dragons and wouldn't care to claim their fair share of four to eight eggs from an egg-walled AP?

On that note, in and of itself, maybe Dragon Cave's age is a factor insofar as people have had more time to build up massive collections of individual dragon types for even larger walls that some people wouldn't care to chip away at? This plays on the assumption that some people would rather browse the biomes for a diverse collection of possibilities, which while normally nowhere near as diverse as what the AP would afford, would at that time completely trump having a single choice of nothing but giant walls of a singular egg type and nothing else, always second gen or higher and likely with nothing noteworthy in lineage? And inversely, what of people who might look to hop on the trend by collecting bits of the wall to start building their own walls in the future, with or without any care to the lineage of said dragons? I could even imagine smaller "copycat walls" happening as a result of people following giant walls and breeding their own walls whenever they see those big walls hit, resulting in smaller aftershocks... but that's just drifting into wild what-if territory, I guess!

What would happen if there was a wall of the inverse? Let me just say this, I see nothing wrong with "low-value" walls. Being the guy for a particular breed is a cool thought, and there's nothing preventing. What would happen if someone bred a massive tangled spaghetti-wall of some rare or very-rare, though, or perhaps a species with a useful BSA? While I would assume this would yield a far different result, the question is just how different would it be? If someone dumped rares or very-rares on the AP, enough for a wall, would that cause the inverse and draw most people out of the biomes/habitats and to the AP, assuming people value even potentially heavily inbred or funky-lineage rares and v-rares over CB commons and a smattering of CB uncommons? Or would there be no discernible change beyond a "clear the wall" response, assuming such a wall holds no particular interest to people? And the same for if the wall were BSA-machines in the making, like a wall of purples or pinks.

On another note, as far as conjecture goes, would Celestial dragons be more efficient for producing walls, at least as far as clicks per egg goes? Or does the math not check out on the odds of up to... what, four eggs? Making up for the extra clicks corporealizing each Celestial, assuming one Celestial and one non-Celestial per pair? I don't actually know the odds behind it so I'm not sure how that stacks up.

There's lots of possibilities. Polls to host, experiments to perform and observations to make, I just don't have the scroll to make the magic happen.

3 minutes ago, XalthorTheWise said:

What would happen if someone bred a massive tangled spaghetti-wall of some rare or very-rare, though, or perhaps a species with a useful BSA?

Thing 1: it is VERY HARD to get rare eggs out of your dragon. My golds and silvers don't like giving metallic eggs even if they're fertilized. Ultra rare, like a stat wall? I would be extremely pleased if I could get even one darn stat out of all my xenos. A stat wall? Uhhh.....

Thing 2: there is a BSA massbreed thread, people already do that. It's not usually 200 at once though, more like each person contribute 50 on random days (when they remember lol). Also, they do get picked up very fast - there was a stream of reds sipping through the AP literally minutes ago, between me and people I personally know we picked up 15 red eggs, and I'm sure we missed a lot more. There are just never enough to form an actual wall because people pick them up too quickly, even if it's a wall of 200 I'm sure they'd go a lot quick-lier than a terrae wall. Maybe a wall of 500 or perhaps more would achieve what you're saying?

I can't speak to everyone's experience, but I got a LOT of mileage out of using Celestials to maximize my blacktip egg output. Enough so that the ratios have actually been skewed to about 50/50 odds of getting either species when I try a blacktip x celestial pairing now!

In practical experience, and I suspect it's fairly similar for other very common breeds, 100 common x celestial pairs (about 200 eggs) will produce enough eggs for a 3-6 hour wall, but the volume of eggs needed very rapidly scales the longer the wall time gets. I got a 12 hour wall with over 1000 eggs and any time I've managed a 40+ hour wall it's taken over 2,000 eggs (and high AP times when the wall hits.) Of course, the flip side is that it also takes forever to breed enough pairs even with the help of celestials to produce 2,000+ eggs.

Rare walls or BSA walls don't really work, in part because even a messy rare is going to be more desirable in general than a PB unpopular common, and BSAs get grabbed because the BSAs are desirable as well. And with rares, the ratios are already working against you. That's probably one of the biggest reasons that those of us with huge hordes of common breeds can even do an AP wall; we have a huge number of dragons AND the breed ratios in our favor. (I'm slowly but surely grinding the ratios down on blacktips; I occasionally get rares from them now!)

I just wanna thank the person who bred all those heartsealings into the AP, I don't think I ever locked myself so fast

On 2/5/2022 at 3:27 PM, Firefury Amahira said:

I did just breed 300 pairs and chuck 177 2g PB blacktips at the AP.

The visual on this is absolute gold, thank. 

E G G C A N N O N

9 hours ago, StrikerEureka said:

The visual on this is absolute gold, thank. 

E G G C A N N O N

Just wait for the next time I decide to spend the better part of a day breeding all 2,300+ of my blacktips. :P 300 pairs is a peashooter compared to the full might of the Salt Army! 🤣

Speaking of the Salt Army, mobilized 400 pairs today sending a grand total of 262 blacktip eggs and 1 lone celestial to the AP to help knock those times back down now that the holiday wall is gone. All but two of the blacktips are PB 2G. If I'd gotten a much earlier start of it, I would have tried to do the entire 2,300+ blacktips I own, but I opted to sleep in instead of get up to massbreed. :P

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Petition for everyone to breed their two-headed dragons today for 2/22/22 😂

Done 🤣

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Terrific idea. Unfortunately my Splits have become very stubborn breeders. I'll see what I can do, though. I certainly have enough of them!

I dropped around 40 assorted two-heads, unfortunately I've been neglecting that category and haven't paid attention to my gender ratios. I've got an extra 30 boys who don't have partners 😅

Well, I managed to squeeze 28 eggs out of my z-coded 2-heads. Bred more than twice that many pairs, but they were stubborn, as usual. I will be breeding more a bit later from non-z dragons.

4 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Great idea!

.... And I don't breed my two-heads often so I didn't realize how stubborn they were with breeding. Out of 46 pairs I got 22 eggs, I guess that's not too bad but it felt like there were so many no eggs. 

So, I just threw out there 150+ purebred 2G and 3G Splits, plus one very messy, inbred 24G one, just for fun! XD I still may breed some other breeds and mixed lineages later today.