Mondat

More retired/limited breeds

Most of my concerns have already been mentioned a velociraptor

So no support, whatsoever!

I think I already posted, but in case I didn't - less than no support here. The more breeds the better. Something will ALWAYS be a blocker. We can deal with it - with patience if nothing else !

And it would seriously mess with lineage building.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Frills might have a comeback sometime in the future, as their spriter and conceptor, Lythiaren, agrees to this. I think she wanted to do some more work on them, but I'm not 100% sure.

Bright Pinks, on the other hand, most likely won't come back ever, as TJ prefers to not discuss their fate at all. (Rumor has it that their spriter wanted them pulled, but she, in turn, claims to never have asked for their removal. Whatever is true, we don't have a clue.)

Thank you very much for your answering my questions smile.gif

No support.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. I like the old stone dragon. To many, it is an annoying cave blocker. For me, I love them and will click on every stone egg in the AP and still occasionally pluck off of the biomes.

I can see dragons being retired if the designer requests it as it is their work. But to just say X number of common breeds are to be retired because they are cave blocking commons ...

This is exactly why I stopped playing another adoptable game: Holiday sprites can be obtained only for one or two years (and there are a lot to get, so new players struggle to grab two sets), then they're retired and you'll never see them again - unless you can spend outrageous sums of in-game currency (and sometimes real money) in the market. Most of them can't breed true, either.

It's like standing outside a candy shop and staring at all the pretty things you can't have.

I took into consideration the migration idea, but then I realised how much trouble it would cause to my PB Stripes lineage - potential mates, where are you? Oh, joy, it's that time of the year! - and to all the other lineages that need caveborns to develop. So it's a no from me.

Edited by Lizzyluna

Sweet bloody .....!!! Will this thread just DIE already and STAY dead?

People hate the idea, I hate the idea, and the reasons its hated and a bad idea have been discussed extensively.

Almost all the posts are of the "do not like" or stronger variety too, btw. In a thread with a dozen pages.

Cheers!

C4.

PS: I really hate this idea but see no reason to list the many reasons, all of which have already been listed tongue.gif Its a really old thread.

Edited by cyradis4

Yes, please - do that, please please. Make it GO AWAY !

As much as I agree with the sentiment that more retired breeds is absolutely the last thing DC needs, I don't think this thread should be closed because of this. After all, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Let's keep this place so people can post theirs here.

As much as I agree with the sentiment that more retired breeds is absolutely the last thing DC needs, I don't think this thread should be closed because of this. After all, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Let's keep this place so people can post theirs here.

Im one of the very few who arent ENTIRELY against this idea. I like the idea of migration (certain breeds disappearing for varying lengths of time but not for good). I have a few concepts based on the idea of migration that will likely never see release (but if they do, yay!).

My thing about threads like this is that I enjoy finding middlegrounds to make hated ideas, better liked. Not cool with flat out retirements, but am surprisingly ok with breeds disappearing from the cave (but continuing to breed more). Im cool with breeds that migrate in and out of the biomes depending on the time of day/month/year it is. Seasonals have done that just fine for years. Heralds are doing reasonably well at it.

If you hate the idea, thats great. List your reasons, and move on, ignoring the thread every other time it pops back to the top of the pile. If you like it, thats great to, list why tongue.gif If you are bored and hate the idea, but would consider it if different conditions were met (like me with migration) then offer those ideas up and lets see what we can do with it. Most of my threads tend to start off hated, and eventually grow on people tongue.gif

The thing is, dragon breeds cycling in and out is a different suggestion and is kinda beyond the scope of this thread, and true retirement is a horribad idea.

Plus, as a spriter, I'd hate to have my breeds forced into being retired! I want to keep collecting Pyralspites forever, even the common Pyropes.

The thing is, dragon breeds cycling in and out is a different suggestion and is kinda beyond the scope of this thread, and true retirement is a horribad idea.

Plus, as a spriter, I'd hate to have my breeds forced into being retired! I want to keep collecting Pyralspites forever, even the common Pyropes.

Migration is different, yes.. but its apparently come up since I saw it mentioned on a few different pages when I clicked through.

But, my previous post did have something going for it that still applies to this threads base idea: Im cool with breeds disappearing out of the cave, if for some reason there was a need for it to, on the condition that the ones that remain, can still breed more (meaning, they are extinct in the wild and cant be obtained as cbs, but can still be bred... domestic breeds.. so to speak)

If I was a spriter and was told my dragons were being removed from the caves, I would feel very disrespected and underappreciated. No support from me, on that reason alone.

I might be persuaded into liking seasonal migrations (I think that cycling a rarity of a dragon would be a pretty cool concept), but there's no way I'd accept breeds vanishing from the cave permanently and only be obtainable as higher gens, that's basically the same as retiring a breed (yes, we can't get bred Old Pinks and Frills now, so it's not true retirement, but it still feels like the same thing). We already have this with CB Prizes, Holidays and Hybrids and this is generally very well liked... oh wait, it isn't. tongue.gif I simply don't see any need for this and while it wouldn't make me quit the game (I'm very adaptable and would survive it), it would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm really trying to look at the concept of retiring breeds from every possible angle and still simply cannot find anything positive about it. We need more variety, not less. <3

Edited by stagazer_7

Cycling rarity (which happens to an extent already cuz of how ratios work and which I could support) is extremely different than permanent retirement.... of any sort.

Hence why I would not put that idea (which already has its own thread, btw) in a separate thread.

Cheers!

C4.

We also have the seasonals that cycle, though they are technically one breed with different forms. Makes lineages with them tedious, migrating breeds would have the same issues.

Still better than retiring things permanently, which is a horrible horrible idea. It frustrates me when sites do that habitually.

Probably I should change my forum username to "On The Fence" (if I could) but I would not be annoyed if I could catch specific breeds on a specific season (like the seasonals) or during specific moon phases, like the Lunar Heralds. Can someone to be so kind to point me to the relative suggestion topic?

Edit: still 100%+ against retirement of ANYTHING.

As somebody who admittedly likes having currently unobtainable dragons (frills, old pinks, old cb holidays) and is proud of that fact - even I don't like the idea of retiring anything more, or releasing non-holiday dragons that won't be permanent releases. We've got enough drama as it is... and it really isn't player-friendly.

Honestly, I'm a no as well. Retirement is such a pain and you never hear the end of it. If I read correctly in comparison to holidays....Holiday dragons are fun and all but the whole reason we have so few is because of the stress it puts on the players and TJ (if I remember correctly that is what has been said but totally fact check me).

Also, I go on hiatus from time to time when school or life gets too busy and it's honestly nice to know that I can get just about any dragon I want at any time. So I don't HAVE to be on right this minute. I usually quit sites that expect me to worship them.

I'm against this Idea as well.

I would hate more discounted breeds. Only got one Frill back in the day and I would like a few more.

So definitly no.

HELL NO!

It's a destructive idea.

I hate I couldn't have possibly ever get Frills:/ And I'm lookign forward for the day they finally re-appear in the cave.

Discontinuing puts newer players in disadvantage, it is enough those players can't obtain CB holidays from past years:/ (and this problem is also discussed: people want re-release of CB holidays from past years)

DC won't exist without new players. Old players keep leaving, just look at how difficult it is to get a 2g Holly to see the problem... the old players keep leaving and there are less and less CB Hollies breeding...

No, discontinuing of any kind will only result in making the game die a slow death.

You know why I don't play any other game of DC type? BECAUSE I CAN'T GET ALL BREEDS just because I join later than others. Period. Plus their 'pay to win(/have)' nature.

And I'm still not accepting having no Frill family just becaue I found out about DC in March 2013, when they were already discontinued...:/ How to play a collective game with satisfaction if you can't get every breed? DC has no other purpose than dragon collecting... all you can do here is catch and breed dragons, nothing else...

BTW the basic reason why there should be the unpopular and common breeds is that otherwise there would be no rares and stuff... how you can have sth rare if there is nothing common around to make the rare shine? The pros is actually a con.

Also, TJ seems to really want to keep the varied ratios between breeds... or he wouldn't even make a distinction for commons, uncommons, rares and stuff... and he's keeping it continuously in the game.

"+] Limited dragon breeds might make players feel more obliged to keep playing so they do not miss the caveborns

[+] Players might get some more "trophies in dragon sprite form" because they think "when these were released, I was there"

So you're basically assuming everyone has no life and can't have any issues leadign to longer offline periods like e.g. long hospital stay, having their house destroyed in a cataclism, studying(just look at medicine... a good medicine student would almost have no life while studying, I know one in person, he doesn't have time to even join any family gathering in his mom's house not to mention playing some games, and DC can be very time consuming during releases, esp. of a few breeds like e.g. Xenos, or Lunar Heralds - omg Lunar Heralds release was epicly time-consuming if you wanted to catch even just 2 CBs per color:/) etc. ? not to mention there are still people who can't catch the CB Valentine's and Christmas dragons though they'd take like 5 seconds to get in the worst case...

And the first 2 cons you listed are basically why discontinuing breeds is a devastating thing to do. Event he 3rd one would mean more players leaving the game out of frustration. And DC can't exist without players.

Aha, and missclicks are just the part of the game. Otherwise we wouldn't have the 5h long period when you can't abandon a cave-caught egg. This is how it's supposed to be.

No, just no. The single pros you actually provided: "[+] The demand for previously "unpopular" but then retired dragon breeds might increase " is way too little among all the cons(the last 2 'pros', as I mentioned, are actually the cons of this suggestion).

Now the same player can come and go and still have the reason to return, and if your suggestion was implemented, they'd have no reason to come back once they have a break.

Edited by VixenDra

As somebody who admittedly likes having currently unobtainable dragons (frills, old pinks, old cb holidays) and is proud of that fact - even I don't like the idea of retiring anything more, or releasing non-holiday dragons that won't be permanent releases. We've got enough drama as it is... and it really isn't player-friendly.

^ This. Not sure if the OP was around for when the Bright Pink and particularly the Frill got retired, but it was a total storm on the forums and a real blight on DC history. Even dragons with scroll-exclusive forms like the Snow Angels caused massive drama... I really don't think this idea would be good for the game. I get where you're coming from in terms of having too many dragons around- we've crossed the 160 mark after all- but I don't think this is an appropriate solution to it.

[+] The demand for previously "unpopular" but then retired dragon breeds might increase => more variety on the trading market

This. This actually discourages trades I want. Usually if I want a special lineage, I always request "no unbreedables or discontinued". Would it be different if I had one? Perhaps, but those types of lineages are very hard to continue, and in return, would make it hard for me to trade that lineage to someone else. I honestly find lineages with Bright Pink ancestors quite ugly, even more so for Frilled dragons (mostly for the sake of looking unbalanced). =/

Edited by HeartJacker13

I honestly find lineages with Bright Pink ancestors quite ugly, even more so for Frilled dragons (mostly for the sake of looking unbalanced). =/

How absolutely dare you !!

But yes, NO MORE RETIREMENTS ! (And the sooner Frills reappear the better.)