Mondat

More retired/limited breeds

I don't like this idea at all. Most of what I think about it has already been covered by other users, so I won't make a huge post about it. I want to believe TJ won't do something as such, as this are the sort of things that will cause unnecesary drama. While I too believe we have way too many species, I don't think this is the way to solve that issue. Drama, destroyed lineages and lineage possibilities, etc.

Simply I find this completely unnecessary. There is always the chance that an 'unpopular' dragon may be needed. And if more hybrids are released then that tends to boost interest.

It made me really sad about the frill, but if it does come back then that would be brilliant. But...what if the owners do not want their breed retired?

A deafening NO. The lack of retired breeds is the reason why I play this game.

Exactly!

My goal is 10 CBs of every breed (save things like Holidays I missed and Shimmers/Tinsels for obvious reasons).

I'm already super miffed that I did not reach this goal for Bright Pinks and Frills.

I have a bad internet and catching is hell for me as it is, setting me a limited time frame on top of that is just suoer annoying.

Probably a reason for me to quit this game.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with retiring breeds other than the ones that already get retired, like holidays. The lack of retired breeds is exactly why I play DC, and if a bunch of breeds got retired, I would probably quit. My goal is 24 CB of each breed (other than the ones where I can't get CB, such as hybrids or prizes, or where there is limit, such as holidays). If I had to collect that amount in a certain time, that would end up being very stressful, especially since I would be tempted to collect even more if I knew I wouldn't be able to come back to get more later.

I'm lucky enough to have a fast computer and fairly good internet, but I can only imagine how much worse it would be for anyone with poor internet or a slow computer (as someone who has had to deal with the slow computer part, I understand, believe me! It's frustrating!) to know that a breed was going to be retired and not be able to get any.

So again, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this.

What I would agree with is ...drumroll please... MORE BIOMES!!

It would split the eggs up so there is less total eggs in one single biome, making it easier to find a specific breed. But that's just my opinion. unsure.gif

Edited by StormNSnowflake

While there is part of me that would really like to have something done about the inundation of way too many breeds, this doesn't feel like it should be it. I'm deeply annoyed by the whole "dragon flavor of the month" thing that has developed, and the way that the rares have turned into near-impossibles just because so many other breeds are overwhelming them. I would like something to balance that out, because I'm starting to eyeroll about each new release and mentally calculate how much it decreases my chance of ever catching another CB metallic.

But this feels like it would just make things worse. Okay, so we "retire" a breed for a few months. With warning, of course. And for the next three weeks or however long, everybody is putting their breeding/catching plans on hold to try to grab the last of those eggs before they vanish. Newcomers to the game suddenly have to compete with veterans over a dragon that, until that announcement, was easy enough to get that maybe they had been putting it off while trying to capture more challenging varieties. Crazy trades, many of which people will end up wishing they hadn't made when that breed returns and floods the caves six months (or however long) later, dominate the board. People who are actively working on a checkerboard pattern using the breed discover that their project has to be put on hold for half a year. Game-playing gets destabilized, but not in a particularly good way. Will it actually clear out the cave enough to spot the increasingly elusive rares? Probably not.

Similarly, I think the holiday dragons are as much limited-edition as we will ever need. I'm struggling with completing my "set" of the latest eggs, tbh, and just hoping that I can finally grab the last two CBs I need once the next drop happens and people are less interested in this flavor-of-the-month; worrying about reaching my definition of completion while competing with every single DC user who is worried about the same thing, with a clock ticking... that would turn me off of the game forever. At least with the holiday drops, the eggs are plentiful enough that anyone who tries to participate will get something (and the two-egg cap on CBs ensures that there are enough for everybody and that what constitutes a "complete set" is already defined by the limit itself).

I played Magistream for a short while, but I ended up leaving in disgust after discovering that all of the sprites that really appealed to me most were discontinued or locked behind a pay wall. Let's please not import that philosophy to DC.

I've been all for retiring dragons for a long time. I wouldn't cry to see some of them go. Enough said.

I've been all for retiring dragons for a long time. I wouldn't cry to see some of them go. Enough said.

Well, I think that pretty much everyone has one breed or two he wouldn't cry over if they got retired. But these breeds are different for every user. And the breeds TJ wouldn't mind retiring just might be your very favorite breeds on the site.

Plus, retiring breeds really doesn't solve any problems that couldn't be solved in another way, but causes endless drama.

Personally for me the biggest issue is that it's not a regularly-done thing. I think if DC had been regularly retiring dragons (like one every few months or whatever), I don't think I would have cared. I just don't want to see it start now.

Seems incredibly dumb to retire dragons. Take that frill dragon. He looks epic, but I'm to new to ever have one.....

at the same time, having a crap load of dragons makes them all rarer to find.

Perhaps put all the dragons in "seasons", rotations if you will.

Have ~20 dragons on the cave for a month or so, then swap in another 20 for another month or so.

That way, people will be encouraged to breed the commons ones because if you miss the "season" for that species, the only way to get one is to wait or breed.

Edited by This_Guy_001

Well, I think that pretty much everyone has one breed or two he wouldn't cry over if they got retired. But these breeds are different for every user. And the breeds TJ wouldn't mind retiring just might be your very favorite breeds on the site.

Plus, retiring breeds really doesn't solve any problems that couldn't be solved in another way, but causes endless drama.

I could live with it.

And if there isn't drama about one thing, there's drama about another around here. Always has been that way since I've been here. What's a little more?

And in another few years, when the cave is stuffed to the gills with God knows how many more dragons coming in and none ever leaving, with nothing but cave blockers no matter what time of the day or night you try to hunt, tell me how 'dumb' it is not to retire some. The cave blockers are absolutely ridiculous now. I dread thinking about the years to come and how really bad that's going to get...as if it's not bad enough already. dry.gif

I don't have some of the dragons either, but I still sleep well at night in spite of it. I don't feel my scroll is in any way lacking without every single dragon. There isn't a site that I know of that keeps everything around forever.

If this site continues to exist, retirement at some point is almost inevitable, imo. You can't just keep adding and adding and adding, endlessly, without something having to give sooner or later. *shrug*

Edited by MedievalMystic

I still think there are many steps DC could take before deciding on permanent retirement as the best solution. Making certain breeds harder (maybe even extremely so) to find during some seasons, adding more day / night availability differences, more biomes (including potentially ones you'd have to do something to unlock), having more eggs visible for taking at once, striving to release more uncommons and rares so hunting has higher odds of you at least finding something nice, having more hybrids and other special breed only dragons that add interest without putting pressure on the biomes, and so on and so forth. I realize DC is not Pokemon, but I still believe there are parallels to be found between the two. If Pokemon can find ways to stagger and split up and otherwise sort out pokemon so that you can catch 650+ things without having to deal with a hundred different commons in one spot of grass (in other words, so that you always have a decent chance of finding what you're looking for), I think DC can take steps in that direction also. smile.gif

And heck, even if we come to a point where the End Is Nigh and some things really DO need to be pulled to make space? Then at least just make them breedable only rather than completely discontinued, so new players can still at least get pretty 2gs and those who are working on lineages can mostly continue to do so (this would be aided by a very long--like, three months if not longer--withdrawal process, so everyone should be able to get those last CBs they need for whatever gen they need relatively easily. I would be extremely sad if some of my favorite breeds were pulled, but that sad would be mediated somewhat if I was given ample time to, say, plan on grabbing enough CBs to make any given 7th gen I might want to in future).

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

If a dragon is retired, I think the ones that still exist on people's scrolls should continue to be able to breed and reproduce themselves. I mean, why not? Just because you can't find it in the cave shouldn't mean, imo, that you can't breed/snag a 2nd gen or whatever... It would be nice if Frills, etc, could breed.

Well, anyway, whatever the solution, there's got to be something eventually the way I see it, whatever that may be.

Edited by MedievalMystic

If a dragon is retired, I think the ones that still exist on people's scrolls should continue to be able to breed and reproduce themselves. I mean, why not? Just because you can't find it in the cave shouldn't mean, imo, that you can't breed/snag a 2nd gen or whatever... It would be nice if Frills, etc, could breed.

Well, anyway, whatever the solution, there's got to be something eventually the way I see it, whatever that may be.

I agree with this, heavily. There shouldn't be too much jealousy if the dragons could just breed true, but couldn't be found in the caves. New users might have a bit if trouble, but there are plenty of nice players who would breed it for them without a price. I guess this doesn't make much sense from an RP standpoint (although it could be just that all the wild dragons died and the only ones left are kept in captivity or something).

There are so many adoptable sites that I just can't get into because there's too much. And, each of the creatures as multiple colour schemes/ versions/ etc. I'd like it if DC didn't become something like that.

I agree with this, heavily. There shouldn't be too much jealousy if the dragons could just breed true, but couldn't be found in the caves. New users might have a bit if trouble, but there are plenty of nice players who would breed it for them without a price. I guess this doesn't make much sense from an RP standpoint (although it could be just that all the wild dragons died and the only ones left are kept in captivity or something).

There are so many adoptable sites that I just can't get into because there's too much. And, each of the creatures as multiple colour schemes/ versions/ etc. I'd like it if DC didn't become something like that.

The trouble with this is that then you just create an artificial market around 2nd gens or limit their desirability because some people just don't want certain dragons if they can't have CBs themselves. People already dislike this when it comes to frills and BPs, I don't know why we would want to do this again.

And in another few years, when the cave is stuffed to the gills with God knows how many more dragons coming in and none ever leaving, with nothing but cave blockers no matter what time of the day or night you try to hunt, tell me how 'dumb' it is not to retire some. The cave blockers are absolutely ridiculous now. I dread thinking about the years to come and how really bad that's going to get...as if it's not bad enough already. dry.gif

[snip]

If this site continues to exist, retirement at some point is almost inevitable, imo. You can't just keep adding and adding and adding, endlessly, without something having to give sooner or later. *shrug*

You're coming up on five years of game play (according to your forum time stamp). Consider that many of the "cave blockers" weren't around when you started. As more dragons are added, new breeds will become "cave blockers." It doesn't make sense to just retire a breed when a user starts to get the feeling that there are "too many dragons"--especially when many users look forward to the release of new breeds or are gunning to pull two breeds out of retirement.

Sure there are people who miss out on a breed because they aren't here for a release or don't want it, but one of the good things about DC is that a new player can start playing or a player can go on hiatus and come back to pretty much the same species as people who have been playing for years without breaks.

I wouldn't really be affected if any of the dragons were pulled because I have every sprite now (and many of them CB), but many others would miss out. Like Eef said, there wouldn't be a problem if retirement were a regular thing. But I find it hard to believe that after eight years of existence, DC is suddenly overcrowded and breed retirement is the only feasible solution.

The trouble with this is that then you just create an artificial market around 2nd gens or limit their desirability because some people just don't want certain dragons if they can't have CBs themselves. People already dislike this when it comes to frills and BPs, I don't know why we would want to do this again.

But Frills and BPs do not breed true. The only way to have the sprite is to have a Frill or BP in a lineage, but if they bred true, you could have a Frill or a BP on your scroll. I don't whether that would work for many, but it is a major difference. I just prefer not to have discontinued breeds at all, and if it becomes standard procedure, I don't think I will continue to play.

I really, really agree that there are much better solutions to "too many breeds", like migration and such. I do *not* support actually retirering breeds.

I also do NOT support retiring breeds.

Just because one person is sick of Whiptails doesn't mean everyone wants them wiped off the face of the Cave.

I am on both sides of the fence, but I think I lean toward against.

We have limited edition breeds already.

Considering some people may not get a chance to get limited breeds due to life, work, school. Limiting other breeds may cause more inconvenience for players than actually help.

I am not opposed to retirement of more breeds, if they stop breeding true. But considering the general feeling of upset that occurred because of two such breeds - I don't see how it really benefits.

And what one person dislikes another person collects. Undesirable breeds are typically collected into armies by people who want more more. retiring these breeds can severely hamper the enjoyment of the game.

for example. I'll use this BSA concept to sort of get my thought across....I hope it helps. Bite BSA is a good-desirable action to me. to another it is a "bad action". Through the BSA Bite, I can collect my army of dragons based up on lineaged beauties and AP Cave blocker abandons. If the bite BSA was taken away, and vampires were no longer collectable, then the lack of vampires would hinder my ability to enjoy the game. (at least until I find a new tactic)

I might be okay with cycled dragons. Sort of like seasonal being available in their season. but dragons which are more warm climate loving, maybe "migrate" for half the year and return the following year. But that is a complicated idea with all manner of problems.

anyway, whatever. I guess I oppose this.

For the migratory idea, I just now had a thought [and feel free to throw spears if it terrible lol].

I think its been suggested before that some breeds be seasonal; can find them just as they are now, but rare/gone during other seasons. Now i like this idea too, but then every dragon would have to be considered what season/s it bests fits and all that yada yada

But we already have a system.

The Change/Creation/Destruction system.

Now i'm not sure EVERY incave dragon has a CCD tag, but at least most of them do. What if DC had its own 'seasons' in this sense? Then we'd have larger time windows to get things [4 months each instead of 3] and all that.

So each 'season of change' dragon [bar rares like silvers n golds, whatever tags they have idek] is of their normal rarity during said 'season', but harder to find during the other two 'seasons', then same with the others.

This... probably goes in a completely different thread... but Star's post made me think of it so idk

More on-topic, I'm fine with retiring breeds so long as they breed true. I use mints as spacers between breeding pairs and idk what id do if i couldnt get any more .-.

Completely retiring breeds like the frills id have to say NO WAY due to mints being at high risk for that e__o

This would turn into a massive uproar. People liked frills and bright pinks, and there are still people petitioning to bring them back. There will always be one person that loves the breed. I hate waterwalkers but I certainly wouldn't want them retired because some people love them.

I like the seasonal idea though.

But we already have a system.

The Change/Creation/Destruction system.

This is a good point. While I'm good with more biomes and/or seasonal migration, this is also worth some consideration. Maybe make a shiny new thread for it? smile.gif

As for the 2nd gen 'compromise', I am against even retiring CB versions of dragons.

Edited by LibbyLishly

[bar rares like silvers n golds, whatever tags they have idek]

I like all of your idea except this part. TJ has said that if he were to implement migration, then ALL breeds MUST migrate, INCLUDING Golds and Silvers and whatnot. And honestly, I want them to! Why? Because then that opens the gates for TJ to release a few more *actual* rares that would be around during the rest of the time Golds and Silvers aren't! We don't really have much of anything other than those two that reign in that area of rarity. I'd like to see other very rare dragons around during the absence of Golds and Silvers. c: But for everything else you suggested, I really do love it! The CCD tag being related to migration would be awesome. Creation could be tied to Spring, Change with Fall, and Destruction with Winter, with Summer being the neutral ones (probably need more neutral dragons first, though). Or something like that. Maybe something a bit different than that which would be more evenly dispersed.

However, while I do want most/all dragons to migrate, I feel like some *shouldn't* simply because not every species does in real life. I DON'T want this to include rares EXCEPT for possibly Coppers and Trios. I think Coppers should be present all year round, but only have certain biomes holding them (that would hold their respective color, obviously). I wouldn't want Trios to migrate (or at least, not all at once) simply because you need them to get a GoN. As far as other BSA dragons, I don't care about them because if they migrate it would mean other dragons could *finally* get those useful BSAs so it's not limited to "just Reds" for Incubate, etc. For dragons found in multiple biomes, I think they're perfect for being some of the dragons that "don't" migrate; really, they WOULD, just by changing which biomes they're found in, BUT they wouldn't ever *actually* leave the cave.

While migration season changings might be a bit complex and confusing, I would rather have it than retiring breeds. It would also potentially keep people coming back, even if it means they might take breaks between hunting, simply because they have to return to find certain dragons during certain parts of the year. I would personally still want dragons to be able to breed even out of season, though maybe a bit less successfully.

Oh, yeah the silvers/gold thing was just because i thought they already got exempt from stuff. XD if they're not then oops nvm those guys too. More actual rares would be neat and also sad because like silvers/golds ill never get them LOL so yeah.

Yeah does this need a new thread .-. Probably, since its a thing that can be mulled over and it might take over this one otherwise :U