Mondat

More retired/limited breeds

[LAST UPDATE 2014/09/04]

[i know there was some talk about discontinuing dragons in another thread and I searched for an already existing thread for this particular suggestion - could not find one NARF! - so I opened this one. Please note that this suggestion is different from Migration]

This is a thread for discussing

the retirement of already existing non-bsa dragon breeds from time to time (with a prior notice of, let's say, 2-4 weeks? on dragcave.net)

the introduction of new non-holiday dragon breeds which will be only available in-cave for a limited amount of time (with prior notice)

Note(!)

In both cases, the dragons on scrolls should continue to produce true offspring all year round...I think?

Pros

[+] Less dragons in the cave, less misclicks, less egg descriptions to remember wink.gif

==> Alternatives to prevent crowding in the cave could be: adding new biomes, migration, more breed-only breeds.

[+] The demand for previously "unpopular" but then retired dragon breeds might increase => more variety on the trading market

[+] Limited dragon breeds might make players feel more obliged to keep playing so they do not miss the caveborns

[+] Players might get some more "trophies in dragon sprite form" because they think "when these were released, I was there"

Cons

[-] Players might "lose" one of their favorite dragon breeds if they get discontinued, as they won't be able to collect them in the cave anymore

[-] New players will not be able to get these breeds as caveborns

[-] As DC didn't have a habit of discontinuing dragons there's the risk of an angry mob of players with torches and pitchforks

[-] RP reason: "if the dragons were real, it is rather unlikely that a species would disappear"

My personal opinion:

I think I would rather like it. With the release of new dragons every month I honestly feel the cave is already a bit crowded but maybe it is only me. The thought of some limited releases is rather exciting to me.

Edited by Mondat

I like DC mainly for the fact that it DOESN'T make a habit of discontinuing dragons. Frills and Bright Pinks were special cases, and Frills seem to be pretty much confirmed for coming back. There's a slim chance BPs might be brought back as well.

I hate other sites with retired breeds because retiring forces value on the species in question. imo species/breeds get pointlessly retired solely for this reason or solely to keep only a certain amount of pets on site at one time. I really do not like this.

I don't want to feel like I *have to* be around just to get a dragon. Many already feel that need for any new release so they can have dragons from the release day (and may also have potential rares). Besides, we already have this kind of obligation around holidays.

Unless it's a site that specifically revolves around retiring breeds, like chickensmoothie, then fine. But DC hasn't made it a habit of retiring breeds and I, for one, would be absolutely disgusted and angry if it started to. I'm still a little peeved about the Frills and BPs getting pulled, though at least back then there weren't as many dragons in circulation.

I would much rather support the migration suggestion, because all the dragons are still available, but they cycle through periods of availability, which would get most of those same benefits of regularly retiring them.

Edward explained what I don't like about this. I don't want any more retired dragons because it's bad enough already.

I absolutely hate this suggestion. I think 3 limited breeds a year is quite a bit, and I don't see any advantages in retiring breeds. Also, I don't really agree with any of the points of your pros list.

[+] Less dragons in the cave, less misclicks, less egg descriptions to remember wink.gif

I'd prefer to add more biomes if overpopulation should really be a problem.

[+] The demand for previously "unpoplar" but then retired dragon breeds might increase => more variety on the trading market

Just that they won't be available anymore when they have been retired. So what's the point of retiring them then?

[+] Limited dragon breeds might make players feel more obliged to keep playing so they do not miss the caveborns

We don't need retired breeds for that. I am pretty sure that the regular releases do keep people playing already, especially since they're going to be random again. And again, we already have 3 limited breeds each year.

[+] Players might get some more "trophies in dragon sprite form" because they think "when these were released, I was there"

I play DC to collect dragons, not to collect trophies...

Edited by Ha-Ki

Erm No! I dont like it at all..

What one might think is unpopulair, may be someone elses favorite dragon.

I like that Dragon Cave doesn't do this. Holidays are one thing, but regular breeds shouldn't be restricted by anything other than rarity. I don't think people want to feel obligated to play either, especially since I've quit games over that sort of thing. Sometimes people just need a break. Don't give them a reason to think that it isn't worth coming back.

Edited by Tehya Faye

This suggestion is everything I hate about pet and adoptable sites. I would refuse to participate in or support any site that took on this kind of policy.

If this happened, there is a HIGH chance that I would QUIT, and I'll have been playing DC for 4 years on Friday. This is the suggestion I am against the most out any suggestion I've EVER seen in that time frame. I'm sorry for the caps, but this topic is something I, as well as MANY other players, would be severely angered by. What makes DC so great is, except for a very small amount of dragons, everybody can catch everything, and there are extremely few uncontainable dragons.

If this happened, there is a HIGH chance that I would QUIT, and I'll have been playing DC for 4 years on Friday. This is the suggestion I am against the most out any suggestion I've EVER seen in that time frame. I'm sorry for the caps, but this topic is something I, as well as MANY other players, would be severely angered by. What makes DC so great is, except for a very small amount of dragons, everybody can catch everything, and there are extremely few uncontainable dragons.

I wouldn't go to the extreme of quitting but I have been here since 2007 I would not like breeds being systematically retired due to lineage building.

I would agree with adding more biomes

As I said, I have an extremely strong opinion on the matter, one that many other players have said earlier in this thread.

If this were truly wanted, the suggestion to bring back Frills and Bright Pinks would not be something that pops up in this section as much as it does. I've seen at least three or four separate threads for it in the past few years. Any time someone suggested this, however, it was quickly shot down. I am not exaggerating when I say I would quit if this happened.

Besides, the reasons Bright Pinks and Frills were discontinued is not possible now due to artist contracts. Requests for discontinuing are likely allowed, but it's not too likely to happen.

EDIT: If a breed is no longer available, and thus more wanted, how would it be traded? We can't trade adults, a large part of why DC can't and likely won't have more retired breeds.

Edited by PieMaster

No, no and no again!

Retirement of dragons has always led to a lot of drama and countless "Can we reintroduce censorkip.gif dragons?" threads. It also leads to resentment of the people who didn't get them - and, luckily, we're very close to getting the Frills back - and who knows about bright pinks?

I'm also very strongly against creating anything but holiday breeds that is only available for a short time. Holidays are enough of "badges in sprite form" in my opinion.

A lot of others have echoed my feelings on this.

While I don't know that I would quit the game if retiring breeds were to happen, I would emphatically not like it or find it exciting either. I don't see why some people should feel elitist or 'privileged' just because they happened to be around at the right time. IF, as others have said, this was a thing that had happened from the start of DC, then it would be different. As it is... a resounding no, thanks, from me.

Edited by Silverswift

This gets a huge no from me as well, from all reasons previously stated. I'm sad enough already about the dragons that are discontinued already.

No no no no NO. I joined DC mainly BECAUSE it differed from most other adoptables sites in that regard. I hate the "holier than thou" attitude that can develop in older players as they slowly gain an army of things newer players can never have, and knowing that if you don't play constantly you could miss a gorgeous creature forever is extremely discouraging.

While DC's growing collection of dragons is worth keeping an eye on--and discussing ways to keep balanced--I would like to see every other alternative attempted before this one. I would rather see more biomes, more ways of obtaining things, more night / day shifts, more breed-only, and more fixed rarities before this happens. While Pokemon and DC are very different games, I think they share some elements in the "how can we add lots of monsters without making things overwhelming" department, so following Pokemon's ways of really splitting up how and where you find beasts to keep any one area from becoming overstuffed could serve uses here.

Absolutely not. Being forced to be online for such releases, when I might very well have IRL obligations that would keep me from being there, would add a great deal of stress to my life that I try to alleviate by playing silly games online. I get enough stress during new releases because my internet connection isn't very fast and so it takes me a couple hours to grab new ones.

Having ones where you catch them and then they're not available anymore? No. Definitely not. I would probably lose interest too, I already missed out on Wrapping Wings because I was without internet the two weeks surrounding Christmas that year, and it's bothered me ever since.

No thank you. Edwardelricfreak pretty much summed up how I feel on this in the post on the first page.

No! Just no. No No No.

I hate retired and limited breeds. Abosutly hate them, and one of the things that I love about DC is that there are so few such breeds.

I never want to go through another retirement. Ever.

Edit: EEF said it in a calmer manner than I can manage at the moment.

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

No! Just no. No No No.

I hate retired and limited breeds. Abosutly hate them, and one of the things that I love about DC is that there are so few such breeds.

I never want to go through another retirement. Ever.

C4.

Well, I am not sure I would want MORE limited edition breeds, but the Holiday dragons are sort of fun.

I totally agree on the retired breeds thing, though... and you must admit, there were other reasons for the few we DO have than ... know let us make this thing surper desirable and a status symbol.

Well, I am not sure I would want MORE limited edition breeds, but the Holiday dragons are sort of fun.

I totally agree on the retired breeds thing, though... and you must admit, there were other reasons for the few we DO have than ... know let us make this thing surper desirable and a status symbol.

Hahaha, I should have specificed that the three limited breeds we have are good, they have a specific purpose, and they cycle.

But I hate how limited the Prizes are, those just..... grrrrr.

Yes, I have very strong feelings on this topic.

Cheers!

C4.

Jesus no. Exactly why is this needed? The gnashing of teeth about the frills and old pinks are still being felt (albeit those were under different circumstances). Exactly WHY is this needed? It poses no advantage to anything and will manage to frustrate and anger a good portion of the user base.

Absolutely not. As a player who has only been in the cave for just over a year, I am still bitter over the Frills and Bright Pinks. All this will do is create even more resentment among new players.

No thank you whatsoever. For reasons above. I like that no matter when you join, you can get most of what's available. I actually quit most other online adoptables games because I couldn't get everything I wanted just because I wasn't there since the beginning. It's a bit frustrating, especially in a game where you collect things. Plus I despise the 'elitist' feeling of "Oh I have this and you don't" thing...which would happen if this was implemented.

Badges & trophies are basically symbols of how long & how much you participate here...I don't see the need for actual dragon sprites to do the same thing.

Of course this is my opinion and others might feel differently. I respect that.

No thank you whatsoever. For reasons above. I like that no matter when you join, you can get most of what's available. I actually quit most other online adoptables games because I couldn't get everything I wanted just because I wasn't there since the beginning. It's a bit frustrating, especially in a game where you collect things. Plus I despise the 'elitist' feeling of "Oh I have this and you don't" thing...which would happen if this was implemented.

Badges & trophies are basically symbols of how long & how much you participate here...I don't see the need for actual dragon sprites to do the same thing.

Of course this is my opinion and others might feel differently. I respect that.

Basing my conclusion on the replies this topic has gotten; I'd say a LOT of folks agree with you, Lightningsky.

Edited by Silverswift

My reaction to this suggestion. Really? I wish I could have had a Frill or BP, and there are still breeds I have no CBs of. If they became discontinued, I would cry.