TJ09

2014-08-02 - August Release

Well, what you do on your scroll is your choice?

....I just came back from a small hiatus due to having no pc and you know what I did? I bred dragons for my lineage projects despite knowing there are new release eggs, omg. I grabbed one new one and keep one slot open for the Thuwed I am waiting for.

Abandoning eggs on my scroll as soon as there are new releases? Stop breeding/catching because there could be a release? Me? Oh no.

I do not see any problems with random new releases, and I have maaaany breeding projects, I am Japan Standard Time and I am a working adult with a life outside of the internet. And yes, consider me one of the people who feels bored/burned out with the monthly releases, I personally do not need to get new dragons every month.

Thanks TJ for spicing things up a bit. I surely will go on doing my stuff and catch new dragons when I have space/time/motivation to do so.

So, good for you! As you said, what you do on your scroll is your business.

But don't belittle me because I want something different than you do. I don't appreciate your scorn.

I'm very unhappy with the change, and didn't find it stale at all, as there was still always a question as to whether it would really happen. There were a lot of months when it didn't for one reason or another.

Ask anyone who thought they'd get some coppers later how they feel about it....

I apologise if this has been answered before, as I haven't been following this question, but couldn't there be two releases a month? One on the first weekend, and then the other at some random point? Then there'd be one of each type, so (theoretically) everyone could at least get in on one release.

It might also help with the backlog of dragons. I noticed multi-breed releases being mentioned, so this might be an alternative to that if TJ wants to stick to one breed a release or similar dragons in a release or whatever.

I mentioned this as a suggestion over in the Random Releases Returning thread in the suggestions section. The thread is currently discussing ways to address the random releases so that they are accommodating and hopefully somewhat enjoyable for players.

I apologise if this has been answered before, as I haven't been following this question, but couldn't there be two releases a month? One on the first weekend, and then the other at some random point? Then there'd be one of each type, so (theoretically) everyone could at least get in on one release.

It might also help with the backlog of dragons. I noticed multi-breed releases being mentioned, so this might be an alternative to that if TJ wants to stick to one breed a release or similar dragons in a release or whatever.

I'm all for it. LOTS TO HUNT! WOO!

That said, there would be a lot of complaining. Like the 7-at-once release, or the 7-day birthday celebration with a new release each day, there are people who get very upset when they can't gather their goal of X-many release-day CBs because of the sheer number of new releases.

That said, this is DC - people get very upset when the wind shifts. If you can't make everybody happy, make me happy. UNLEASH THE EGGENS.

I'm all for it. LOTS TO HUNT! WOO!

That said, there would be a lot of complaining. Like the 7-at-once release, or the 7-day birthday celebration with a new release each day, there are people who get very upset when they can't gather their goal of X-many release-day CBs because of the sheer number of new releases.

That said, this is DC - people get very upset when the wind shifts. If you can't make everybody happy, make me happy. UNLEASH THE EGGENS.

I agree with you.

Eh. Not thrilled with the change, but it's not like I have a ton of time to put into DC as it is. I missed the first day of this release even though it was on the usual day - just kind of preoccupied with real life at the moment - so, if I'm honest with myself, it really doesn't affect me.

That said, I should probably try to hunt some of the new eggs in my not-so-spare time, because the hatchies are darn cute.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Got back from a weekend camping trip this afternoon and picked up six of the new eggs. Thanks, TJ!

The problem is that, while that's a good idea to extend game play, it's an increased burden on all the players who have issues catching uncommons/rares unless we find a long-term, inclusive fix for that issue. And as much as I might enjoy random releases, I do think that we should find some other ways to provide a more level playing field for players who struggle with the hunting side of things before we do away with the small ways they've found to make up for the speed problems.

The thing is, I've yet to ever see a suggestion for how to fix this problem that makes sense. Other than TJ actually dropping an egg onto everyone's scroll, there's no way to account for variable working hours, connection speeds, reflexes, etc.

So, good for you!  As you said, what you do on your scroll is your business.

But don't belittle me because I want something different than you do.  I don't appreciate your scorn.

I'm very unhappy with the change, and didn't find it stale at all, as there was still always a question as to whether it would really happen.  There were a lot of months when it didn't for one reason or another.

Ask anyone who thought they'd get some coppers later how they feel about it....

Scorn? No idea what you're talking about.

As for the Coppers...

*talks into a mic*

"I joined DC around last year's DC birthday. Having no forum account and 0 interest in taking a look onto it, I had no real idea what was going on and what to do. I have NO Coppers from the birthday release. Until now, I managed to grab four from the cave. Although I know it will be very hard to meet my scroll goals, I have no motivation and time to sit in front of the pc and looking for pixel eggs while I could work on our Japanese garden, for example. I do not worry and prefer to chill, I am ok with not knowing if I will ever have enough Coppers. Golds as well, never caught one myself."

Good for me, huh?*shakes head*

CHILL.

If I understand correctly, only holiday releases drop exclusively for a set period of time - the cave just flings regular new releases out by the score because it's scrambling to get the new breed close to its set commonality/ratio. At the point where enough people have picked up new release eggs, older eggs start to trickle back into the biomes.

It's slightly more than that, I think. There was a huge problem back after the Canopy/Electric/Nocturne release that only those three were dropping for a long time. Now the ratios seem to start mixing other eggs back in fairly soon, even though the new egg(s) are in such comparatively few numbers.

I've been doing some thinking on the return of random releases, and I think my opinion is shifting in favor of random rather than scheduled. Because while I like knowing when the releases are, it means that everyone else knows too. And it occurred to me that I've been having (so it seems, anyway) more difficulty catching new breeds with each release as people get used to the schedule. That might be just me, but yeah...I think I'll be rooting for random releases from now on.

I haven't been able to catch anything, but it seems I don't really care as much as I thought I would. xd.png (My scroll is currently stuffed with 6 CB Olive eggs that I picked up while new-egg hunting.)

Edit: Every time, without fail. One spot left and of course a green opal, a summer, AND a new release appear at the same time. rolleyes.gif

Edited by StormNSnowflake

The thing is, I've yet to ever see a suggestion for how to fix this problem that makes sense. Other than TJ actually dropping an egg onto everyone's scroll, there's no way to account for variable working hours, connection speeds, reflexes, etc.

TJ09 has said in the past that he doesn't like the idea of just adding new eggs to every scroll.

But for people who have problems catching dragons, there are places like The Giving Tree to get the breeds one doesn't have, some even gift CB eggs. There are other ways even for people who don't have a lot of time for DC to get the new eggs.

I was on a hiatus when the coppers were released, I didn't grab a single one. Since I've started playing again about 2 months ago I've managed to grab 1 cb red one and I've traded for 2 cb brown ones. I mean, they aren't easy to get but you can trade for them. I like that they're something to strive for that isn't quite as hard to get as CB gold and CB silvers, plus they have a cool sprite. I hope we get another rare like them soon so I can catch some at release.

At least if you go on a hiatus for normal releases you can stand some sort of chance at getting CBs of normals. *kicks self for leaving a few years and missing holiday releases*

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER. GOT MY PHONE BACK AND I FIND OUT ONE OF MY FAVORITE DRAGONS EVER GOT RELEASED YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

...And I won't be able to catch any because phone and mixing. Yaaay :c

Edited by PieMaster

I was on a hiatus when the coppers were released, I didn't grab a single one. Since I've started playing again about 2 months ago I've managed to grab 1 cb red one and I've traded for 2 cb brown ones. I mean, they aren't easy to get but you can trade for them. I like that they're something to strive for that isn't quite as hard to get as CB gold and CB silvers, plus they have a cool sprite. I hope we get another rare like them soon so I can catch some at release.

However, not everybody has something equally valuable on their scroll that they could trade for the more prized uncommon/rare dragons. Handfuls of members have to either wait for their luck to turn in order to catch them or for some really nice person to gift an egg.

All the hatchlings are beautiful, thanks for the release TJ, looking forward to seeing the adults. Also looking forward to having random releases again.

I posted this in the thread about random releases, but FWIW, here's the link to my suggestion to help mitigate it.

I don't think that rares should become less rare, but I do think that having an alternative method of gathering dragons can not only make the game more inclusive, but I also think it creates a situation where more people are open to experimentation in how the game works because they don't completely rely on things like release days to be perhaps the only way they will get a rare.

Frankly, I can see some really good benefits coming from randomly releases as far as game play goes, but I really think it's worth it for us to maybe start a thread and brainstorm some ways that we might be able to not leave those with slower connections at even more of a disadvantage. It's just that, generally, those types of threads become so contentious that we never get very far. :/

Ok, I'm tired of sifting through crap. Do we know yet what causes the color difference?

Nope. Not yet.