TJ09

2014-08-02 - August Release

For anybody who's managed to get theirs to hatch with EQ...

Are they all one color?  What time of day (DC time) did you pick them up and what color are they?

All one color. Picked them up within an hour of first release, which would be about 1:20pm - 2:00pm DC time (EDT). They're from both biomes, too. Green, same as every other hatchie I've seen mentioned from EQ. smile.gif

And I've been on this thread since EQ was first mentioned. All hatchies mentioned in this thread have been greenies. No yellows yet, except on TJ's post.

Edited by snave

For anyone who uses Twitter, you can set it to alert by mobile of any new DC tweets. So when the new release announcement goes up, you're pinged. smile.gif

We need a tiny vent icon, for folks who just want to express their ARRRRRGH without getting into debates about the validity of their ARRRRRGH.

All one color.  Picked them up within an hour of first release.  They're from both biomes, too.  Green, same as every other hatchie I've seen mentioned from EQ.

Maybe it also has to do with their window of hatching/ time of being picked up in the cave? Like the glories and suns.

Edited by Jazeki

Y'all realize you can subscribe to the News forum, right? Then the site will send you an email whenever a new thread is made in the news. That way, you won't miss anything as long as you regularly check your email. I did that as soon as I saw we were switching back to random releases. I, like many people, don't check the forums frequently, but I check my email multiple times a day. It might not be advanced notice, but at least with an email alert of a news post, I won't completely miss it.

Edit: After reading the replies, I'm now very irritated with TJ. If you're going change things up, at least give those of us that don't check the forums regularly SOMETHING in return.

The problem is that notifications for News subscription aren't sent out for every News post. I only ever get emails regarding posts on stuff like downtime, but not posts on new releases or events or anything important that I actually want to know about. I have complained about this before and it has yet to be fixed.

I can see myself missing many a release date because I'm just too busy to remember to check the forum every day.

Maybe it also has to do with their window of hatching/ time of being picked up in the cave? Like the glories and suns.

That's certainly possible. I've gone from knowing for sure (in my own head) that the colors would be biome based, to knowing that I don't have a clue any more. smile.gif I'm in wait-and-see mode.

TJ "makes" the New release announcement thread "early" and then posts it at the release time i.e. 1:00 PM so the forum doesn't see it as a "new" thread and doesn't send announcements. I'll see if I can find the post were he explained that.

edit - found it smile.gif

I really wish he would give it a lot of thought, as it's very frustrating to not get notified of the things i subscribed to get notified of in the first place. I'm too busy to constantly monitor the forum (or to remember to do so) for new releases, so I will miss a lot of new releases going forward if he does indeed do away with the schedule.

Edited by mooniechan

Okay, I missed a few changes obviously.

When did they start dropping at noon as opposed to one on Saturday afternoon?

When did they stop dropping for a full 24 hours?

How long does the initial heavt release in the effected biomes last?

Do we know why the change?

Edited by DustyBelle

How long does the initial heavt release in the effected biomes last?

They dropped at 1:00 cave time just like last month. Apparently, they started mixing in about three hours in this release, but many releases have not dropped for a full 24 hours. Mostly special holiday releases drop like this. I don't quite understand your biome question and TJ is changing things because they have become "stale."

Edited by Jazeki

Just to throw in my opinion, I personal prefer the random drops because I think it is nice to have a less predictability in a game like this. Though I want everyone to have a chance at getting new eggs, I also think that scheduled drops make it harder for people with slower reflexes get the eggs because people have been waiting for the drop before it even happens.

On another note, I picked up my eggs at all different times of day, so we'll see if it's just rare or time-dependent.

They didn't.  The release started at 1:00pm Saturday, DC time.

They started mixing in much less than 24 hours later.  It was yesterday evening when that started.  I didn't see anything strange in that.

How long does the initial heav[y] release in the effected biomes last?

It was still heavy through the evening.

What change?

ninja.gif Ninja'd by Jazeki

Edited by snave

Had success with nabbing two (one from each biome) on the 5 min drop.

Is there any difference between the two? I grabbed some from Forest as its easier then spent ages in Alpine, grabbed one to only see its the same color egg.

Is there any difference between the two? I grabbed some from Forest as its easier then spent ages in Alpine, grabbed one to only see its the same color egg.

Both types have the same egg, but we're trying to reason through the hatchie color difference.

This could be a reason why the change is being made.  So that the forums and cave are active more than one week a month... I know a lot of people who don't care about breeding, so they only log on once a week or so, and really only catch new releases. Spreading the releases out may make the site more active to people who have not been playing as much as they had in the past.

Mhm, this is exactly what I did with the site until a little recently. (Though, the releases being random wouldn't help me, as I'm a member of the DC club on DA and they post updates there.)

I... kinda just came back on a whim lol

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I still like the idea of more randomized releases. I agree that set dates are getting really stale.

Edited by lindsy95

and unless there are more egg slots provided for those with higher dragon counts, it means that those of us who do lots of breeding projects are either prohibited from doing breeding before each weekend, or will simply miss out on getting new eggs.

there aren't enough slots to do everything I want, as it is!!!  this makes it worse sad.gif

Well, what you do on your scroll is your choice?

....I just came back from a small hiatus due to having no pc and you know what I did? I bred dragons for my lineage projects despite knowing there are new release eggs, omg. I grabbed one new one and keep one slot open for the Thuwed I am waiting for.

Abandoning eggs on my scroll as soon as there are new releases? Stop breeding/catching because there could be a release? Me? Oh no.

I do not see any problems with random new releases, and I have maaaany breeding projects, I am Japan Standard Time and I am a working adult with a life outside of the internet. And yes, consider me one of the people who feels bored/burned out with the monthly releases, I personally do not need to get new dragons every month.

Thanks TJ for spicing things up a bit. I surely will go on doing my stuff and catch new dragons when I have space/time/motivation to do so.

TJ did also provide additional info about the new schedule for the future drops that should lessen some of the concerns/frustrations that have been mentioned. He stated, "Future releases will (very likely) still be on weekends, but may be scattered throughout the month." (my emphasis in bold). So it's very likely that folks will only need to check or get on-line, etc. for the weekends and not every day of the month. I suspect TJ will stay generally on or around the weekends initially and then start adding more variation, as mentioned in his message.

There will always be some folks that prefer a certain way as it works better for them and then there will always be some folks that don't prefer a certain way as it doesn't work as well for them. Everyone has a choice to continue to play the game, or not, as they wish. Hopefully more people than not will enjoy the change and will grow and change with DC versus against it.

See you in the Cave!

The two people I was looking forward to collecting the dragons from and I had to be gone over the weekend. I don't know when I'll be able to get these guys so I hope they're not rare or uncommon.

Yah, its very stale. I've stopped caring about releases. I mean I mostly avoid them not because they are "boring" but because I've got more important things to do irl. I like that the releases are mostly normal dragons that, even if people can't get them that weekend, they can get them soon enough. There are plenty ways to stock up if you miss a release: gifting, trading, random catching that isn't too hard, etc.

Theses releases generally force you to do more than one dragon, and everyone is stuck trying to figure out how to allocate space. I am ok with single breed releases or multi-breed releases. Not every release can be themed or related or properly spread between biomes.

I can't wait to see more random because I like surprises and gossip and rumors and change and chaos that is what keeps a game fresh. People don't keep playing games because they never change. People should be tempted to stay up later or get up early because they are excited about it.

Still I appreciate all the different dragons and the variety it allows us either way!

I kinda like the new change. It encourages me to pick up a bunch of commons to raise over the weekends when there might be a release. If left to my own devices I'd spend hours hunting down rare-ish dragons, so having an easy day sounds pretty nice. smile.gif

From reading the replies, it seems like the biggest of the issues with the varied release schedule is that people with slower connections/computers worry that if they miss a release of an uncommon or rare dragon then they won't be able to get them later.

I think this is a legitimate concern, but this is a fundamental problem with the game that should be addressed in a larger way, IMO. I definitely understand why people want to keep the predictable release schedule, because it helps mitigate the problem a bit. However, it is, at best, a woefully inefficient fix because anyone who misses that window because of real life issues is out of luck and it also means that anyone who joins after a new release and has a slow connection/computer also has little hope of getting those eggs.

To me, making the releases random and quickly mixing in the older eggs makes sense because it shifts things from a perspective of "new releases - got to meet my scroll goals now" to one of "new release - there's a new dragon in the cave to gather over time." Looking at the game in that way means that everyone doesn't have to drop all of their eggs for new ones or slavishly watch the forums because everyone getting a scroll full on the first day won't be a common thing.

The problem is that, while that's a good idea to extend game play, it's an increased burden on all the players who have issues catching uncommons/rares unless we find a long-term, inclusive fix for that issue. And as much as I might enjoy random releases, I do think that we should find some other ways to provide a more level playing field for players who struggle with the hunting side of things before we do away with the small ways they've found to make up for the speed problems.

If I understand correctly, only holiday releases drop exclusively for a set period of time - the cave just flings regular new releases out by the score because it's scrambling to get the new breed close to its set commonality/ratio. At the point where enough people have picked up new release eggs, older eggs start to trickle back into the biomes.

I apologise if this has been answered before, as I haven't been following this question, but couldn't there be two releases a month? One on the first weekend, and then the other at some random point? Then there'd be one of each type, so (theoretically) everyone could at least get in on one release.

It might also help with the backlog of dragons. I noticed multi-breed releases being mentioned, so this might be an alternative to that if TJ wants to stick to one breed a release or similar dragons in a release or whatever.