vixen1

ANSWERED:Username Change

When I was typing in my name, I intended it to be The_Son_Of_Mars, my Dragcave name. It ended up being The_SOn_Of_Mars. Not a horrible mistake, but still one I would like to correct. Also, when I was making my Minecraft acount, I got irritated after ten minutes of my chosen name and all variations of it being taken already. I then proceeded to mash my keyboard, and ended up pressing enter, making my Minecraft name forevers sAdsmflysUP. I understand why changing names is currently prohibited, but at least allow people one change per year or something.

If people are worried about users trying to avoid blacklists by changing usernames, I think something like deviantART's policies could work; the old username is no longer eligible to be taken, you can't switch back to it, and for the first month after switching, it displays on your profile that you were previously your old username. It also would redirect searches for the old username to the new one and display the "previously _____" to show that the user has changed their name.

I can get that - but if TJ's time is of the essence and if people are going to try and change frequently (which I don't actually think should be allowed) I can see that as being one way around it - as it is a pain in the neck for him to fiddle around at that level, and does NOTHING for the game as such.

What if every user is given a serial number, so they can change their username as much as wanted, but still be recognized? ;o;

Edited by Niyaka

This discussion is very interesting but we don't know about the forum software limitations. I know that Invision version 3.x have a feature that allow users to change their names but we have no idea about this version, 1.3. Several of the suggestions made here depends of the software functions and, then, what the admin wants to allow users to do.

In another forum where I go the users can request a change name for 1 time only. This was made this way for two reasons: because the admin must do this change manually (and there are more than 40,000 users in that forum) and to make people think before ask for a change because the change will be permanent - the old username remais visible on people's profile so you can find a user by their old username. I understand this choice, it's hard to manage such a big forum with people changing names all the time. Also, it's important in a forum to keep track of who is who, who have received warnings, who create problems and so on. It's harder to keep track with users changing names.

In my personal opinion allow only ONE name change would be enough to fix the cases mentioned in this thread so far. I don't think more name changes are needed. I keep track of the users who I make trade and donate dragons and I have a personal black list - users who don't honor IOUs, users who don't take a good care of their scrolls and let the gifted eggs to die, etc - and a good list, users who are great in trades, users who you can trust in IOUs, etc. I would be annoyed to discover that a user vanished because changed name and now I don't know who they are anymore.

While the idea of name changing for users who are no longer satisfied with the name they chose for themselves in the beginning sounds nice and pleasant, I'm doubtful that the amount of time needed to fulfill the sheer load of requests that will subsequently result is something that TJ could handle, much less actually want to handle.

If such an idea were to be implemented, I wholeheartedly agree that there should be a limit of what you can change your name to. While removing needless numbers or fixing capitalization could be understandable, many people will simply change their usernames completely on a whim, and likely find themselves wanting to do it more often.

However, I still am doubtful that such an idea would not be too overwhelming and demanding for TJ to handle alone.

Trust me, you would rather keep your name for ever than go over to invision 3. The forum I am on that switched is still fed up about it. Not least that you cannot archive messages. That is CRITICAL here, I think... Far more important than a name !

What if every user is given a serial number, so they can change their username as much as wanted, but still be recognized? ;o;

Forum members already have numbers (look under avatar) but I doubt people will remember them.

Please no.

I don't want others to see what my past name was at all. I have extremely personal reasons for this, and would hate to have it be so easy for others to see something I wanted to get rid of in the first place.

I like the suggestion above by the mod. If there is a "past names" list, I would only want mods to see it, no one else. If there are banned people from threads, just ask a mod to check.

As for people you personally banned, perhaps the forum can still remember the person's account # rather than the name. So they remain blocked, regardless of name change.

I understand where you're coming from but I still think showing previous names would be extremely helpful. Maybe there should be a hide usernames option to prevent stalking.

I understand where you're coming from but I still think showing previous names would be extremely helpful. Maybe there should be a hide usernames option to prevent stalking.

People could just put their past names in their profile description then?

People could just put their past names in their profile description then?

It needs to be REQUIRED, though. Not just "Oh well, I'll put it there...."

It needs to be REQUIRED, though. Not just "Oh well, I'll put it there...."

It have to be MANDATORY so people don't use this feature to disappear or misguide other members.

edit. typo

Edited by danicast

It have to be MANDATORY so people don't use this feature to disappear or misguide other members.

edit. typo

Exactly smile.gif

....aaand what about people who want to disappear for the sake of avoiding harassment and unwanted stalking? Maybe to legit start new? Do you just tell them tough luck? That's not fair. Some people want this because they no longer want to associate with their past names. However, we can't just go make a new forum account and scroll because that isn't allowed and shouldn't be necessary.

I still see no reason for any member to be able to see what your past names are. Certainly shouldn't be mandatory either. Once again, I'd leave it to the mods to be able to see that. And then use Forum ID numbers as a means of banning and keeping unwanted people off your friends list.

If you want people to still recognize you, then add what your past names were to your profile.

Edit: Keep in mind. Not everyone will abuse this feature.

Edited by Lyxii

....aaand what about people who want to disappear for the sake of avoiding harassment and unwanted stalking?

Just a note that in cases like this we do try to be sensitive of your situation. Anyone in a situation like this, I do encourage to PM TJ. You may also PM a mod and we can put in a request to TJ for you.

If the change isn't gotten to, mods will work with you as we can, including allowing you a new account if you need. We have worked with users in the past with issues such as these.

With one exception - I have never wanted a Username Change on any site. I understood when I was younger that Usernames were permanent things and could not be changed - so I always chose something I felt I would not regret years down the road (ex. on another site I have the username Kalamari7 - well, I regretted it when I was younger as I made a spelling error - but grew to love it when I learned calamari was squid - and I love squid both when they are living and when they are food)

However, I can understand people wanting name changes - especially if they went for something like Ultimate_*Current fad*_Fan and have now realized that *Current fad* is stupid...

The biggest problem I always see with things like this though is impersonation risks. By this I mean - someone figures out that "Oh *this player* is really well liked - I'm gonna change my name to *This Player* (something that at a glance could be seen as being the same). - then they go around claiming to be them.

There also comes the issue of someone changing their username and someone else picking it up. So, it's possible that the original *Username1* - who was seen as an outstanding player...now appears to be a troll as someone else has taken the name. Thus - while they are not claiming to be *Username1* - it could still hurt *Username1*'s reputation if people do not know the new name.

Of course, the above can be eliminated if past usernames can be seen...but as has been mentioned, some people might not want to be known.

Overall - I side with those who are in favor of the power to change Usernames, but feel that there must also be a way for players to see past usernames (at the very least - let the Mods have the power to see this)

Just to pop back in to add something on top of this..

I ran across this just now reading the FAQ in the help section

Q: Is there a way to change my username (forum or scroll)?

A: At the moment, the only way to do this is by contacting TJ09; however, he is not taking requests due to time constraints (life, the cave, the sheer amount of people who request this, etc.). He is working on a way for users to be able to do this themselves, but for the moment, there is no way to change your username.

Please note that creating duplicate accounts are against the cave terms and the board rules. If you have further questions, please contact a mod.

Edited by MissNoShame

As Sock mentioned earlier in the thread though, it's been at least a couple years now since he said that.

I do think it would be nice, (I'm not planning on changing my name, I use this one everywhere on the net) but I also agree there should be limits to how often. A way to identify users that change names is a must too, I think. Whether it lists it somewhere (on the profile or something) or just redirects you if you search for the old name.

If you change name you should be traceable with your old one for at least 6 months, so people could save your new one.

The old name would be hidden but saved in site memory, only those that already knew it and use it to find you would be able to see it, it wouldn't be displayed all time, but just when someone use it without know that you've changed it.

We have to prevent bad situations and someone who tryes to "disappear" by changing his name avatar and signature would be awful, expecially if he/she owes you something precious or vice-versa!

I suggest to prevent stalking: banning. You can "ban" an user from your Controls so he cannot send you PMs anymore. He will receive a PM with this words:

This user for some reason prefer to not have any other relation with you. Remember that double accounts are forbidden both on the Forum that in game.

Edited by Naruhina_94

And I support codes. What about if everyone have a code ? Our dragons can change name as much as we like, but their code still remains unique and perfect to trace them. Users with a random generated code could finally change username as much as they want, because the code would also be the same.

*sigh*

You already have one: 166473

*sigh*

You already have one: 166473

I didn't knew it, thanks. edited the previous message.

What's that *sigh* for? It's not a crime if someone has never notice it....... dry.gif

Edited by Naruhina_94

I didn't knew it, thanks. edited the previous message.

What's that *sigh* for? It's not a crime if someone has never notice it.......  dry.gif

It has already been mentioned and answered earlier in the thread, which at this point isn't long at all. I apologize for the negative tone and any hurt feelings regardless.

Edited by CNR4806

If you change name you should be traceable with your old one for at least 6 months, so people could save your new one.

The old name would be hidden but saved in site memory, only those that already knew it and use it to find you would be able to see it, it wouldn't be displayed all time, but just when someone use it without know that you've changed it.

We have to prevent bad situations and someone who tryes to "disappear" by changing his name avatar and signature would be awful, expecially if he/she owes you something precious or vice-versa!

I suggest to prevent stalking: banning. You can "ban" an user from your Controls so he cannot send you PMs anymore. He will receive a PM with this words:

This user for some reason prefer to not have any other relation with you. Remember that double accounts are forbidden both on the Forum that in game.

You can already ban a user from PMing you. And for me it would be very important that if the "*person I have banned* changed his name, he would automatically stay on my banned list; he shouldn't be able to start up all over again because he has a new name.

I think we HAVE to know past names - just like on ebay. People being stalked are a whole different thing and I am sure the mods can deal with that. It isn't exactly common.

I would love to be able to change my name. LOVE to. I still have respect for my current one, and why I chose it, but I have changed a lot since I adopted it years ago, and I have a new name I'm going by everywhere else that I would like to incorporate here. It fits me better, and is even more original.

I support having old names traceable for at least a few months (but only a few - I've had to change my name at other sites to protect myself, and it's better to not have a permanent record). I also support the blocking system working via ID number if that's not already how it works (I'm pretty sure it is, but just in case).

Edited by Wahya

If you're being harassed or stalked, then you need to to go TJ and/or the mods about it. Or, potentially, local law enforcement if it's bad enough.

That's not something that should impact this suggestion, I think, because it's an entirely different thing that deals with things that are already against the rules and/or illegal.