vixen1

ANSWERED:Username Change

People seem to be talking about both. But the forums is definitely a part of the suggestion. I don't care as much about being able to change scroll name because it can't be used to contact anyone.

But it can be used for trading, via EATW and so on or through other sites. (I KNOW EATW "requires" forum contact info - but in fact I've seen many trades there that omitted it - and people have come here to ask how they can contact preeteegreendinosaur (I MADE THAT UP) as they have offered on her trade and she isn't responding.

All I'd want to do to both my Forum name and Scroll name is capitalize the O.

All I'd want to do to both my Forum name and Scroll name is capitalize the O.

Ditto. I'd most assuredly do that, too. But I can live without a capital O and don't think this is important enough to really support.

I would to love to change my name. I prefer to keep the Raptor, but change it to Dalek Raptor

I want to change my user and forum name completely... I made it when I was young and dumb and everyone knew me by it from other sites/games sleep.gif

Really not appropriate for my age anymore.

Some sites have a mod you can PM and they change your name if wanted... If something like that gets implemented here I would be more than willing to do it.

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

I want to change my forum name and scroll name to The Predator Queen. Right now as it stands: predatorfan4ever is childish and unimaginative + my scroll name is barely tied to my forum name, and people get it wrong because there's a zero in it.

I would like option to change username, a lot of sites allow people to change username once a month or once per set period or at least as a one time thing, while their registration details stay unique.

While it would be nice for a lot of people....

There MUST be a way for general users to see past user-names. There are a number of people I refuse to do trades with, and the last thing I want to have happen is to be scammed by a user-name changed personal black-listed person. There really needs to be an easy way for people to see if they've had past dealings, good or bad, with a particular user.

Cheers!

C4.

There was a lot of suggestions in this thread and while Cyradis does make a good point, there have been suggestions as to track down a user's previous name. That itself is a great suggestion since it'll be good to track who that person was previously. While there a lot of people whould like to change their usernames, like me into Dalek Raptor, PredatorFan4Ever into Predator Queen, there would be people who make bad deals and try to change their username so much to bypass the system and try to scam people.

I would suggestion that changing the username has a major cool down after changing your username.

I would also love to change my username on both the forums and the main site. I want it to be something more..me. my username doesn't feel personal to me anymore, odd as it sounds =P

Perhaps, in profiles, it can have a section that could say "previously known as..." and a list of that persons past usernames - that way, you can still see previous usernames, ect.

I also agree that username changes should have a cooldown. Like many games, ect...lets take minecraft for example - that has a 30 day cooldown on username changes. And there are also sites which show a minecraft players previous usernames, too. so I don't think allowing username changes would really be a bad thing - so long as the system of doing so can't be abused, which it wouldn't be with a cooldown.

Also, another thing that came to my mind. The usernames should all be unique, meaning that if I wanted to change my username to Trickseh, I wouldn't be able to because it was already in use by another person.

I could see changing usernames backfiring because of it if this wasn't implemented. People, horrible people, would just change their usernames to pose as other people and swindle the good users out of their deals.

I've been waiting for this ability ever since I made this forum account - which I made only to change at least my forum name(and have my sprite work credited properly), but I wish to change it in the game too... I can't do it as I did it in the forums(and the fact I changed the forum accounts just to get rid of that old username at least here says sth)...

I'm so ashamed of the old username that I'm still forced to have in game - because what it's reffering to changed drastically from what I loved to what I disdain and I no longer want to be anyhow associated with that thing:/ I'm so ashamed whenever I need to provide a link to my scroll...

As for the hypothetical issues, Deviantart handled it right - an user can change their username maximally once every 6 months and can't claim usernames that were EVER in use, and if the old username is typed in the address, it always redirects to the current one and is no longer visible after a few months time since the change was made.

I'd like to see sth like this on DC.

So:

-old username is not freed (to prevent impersonations and other kinds of abuse)

-using old username in the https://dragcave.net/user/OLDUSERNAME link will redirect to the user's new link user/NEWUSERNAME (but using the new link directly doesn't reveal the old username - or it wouldn't make any sense to change the username that was anyhow shameful to the user; Deviantart solved this right: if you visit my DA sub-pages you cant' see wha tmy previosu username was anymore: http://vixendra.deviantart.com/gallery/ but if you know my old username and visit my pages using my old username instead of the new one, you have it revealed but ONLY THEN)

-old username not showing if the scroll was visited from the new username's link (the only way to check if the new username belongs to the old username person is to check if the old username link redirects to the new username)

-limited in time, I think a change possible every 5 years is more than enough OR by account (let's say up to 2 changes ever)

-to login you can use both the old and the new username OR just the new username.

TJ, please, years ago you kind of promised(foretold) an username change to be implemented, I've seen on the forum... and still nothing, I'm loosing patience, I really loathe my old in-game username:(

Edited by VixenDra

TJ, please, years ago you kind of promised(foretold) an username change to be implemented, I've seen on the forum... and still nothing, I'm loosing patience, I really loathe my old in-game username:(

I just contacted him asking for his reply either in email or right here. I also told him about your fantastic idea and I know the feeling. I really hate my username and would rather change it into something else because how dumb the name sounds

I was sent here after asking for a username change, in which I support it 100%.

I wish my username on dragcave could be changed because y'know... I made it 7 years ago.

I don't want to be associated with that old thing ;_;

Even though I don't need this - yet - could TJ have like a "name changer" mod where people that want their names changed go to them and they will change it for TJ.

Eg:

I want to change my name from aussieJJDude to aussiepotatodude and I PM the name changer mod, asking if they could change me forum account or scroll... And then they would change it for me...?

^^^ That way people are happy to get their names, and TJ can do his TJ things. However, I have no idea if its even possible... but thought it could be done.

Of course, limiting it and having some suggestions previously mentioned would be reccomended... Thoughts?

Edit: cant' spell

Edited by aussieJJDude

Even though I don't need this - yet - could TJ have like a "name changer" mod where people that want their names changed go to them and they will change it for TJ.

Eg:

I want to change my name from aussieJJDude to aussiepotatodude and I PM the name changer mod, asking if they could change me forum account or scroll... And then they would change it for me...?

^^^ That way people are happy to get their names, and TJ can do his TJ things. However, I have no idea if its even possible... but though it can be done.

Of course, limiting it and having some suggestions previously mentioned would be reccomended... Thoughts?

This would backfire hugely. A ton of people are unhappy with their usernames right now. If TJ mods someone just to change someone's username, they would ultimately have to create a gigantic list. Especially if people that make bad deals or cheat the system somehow gets away with this. Also, EG. The mod would have to PM all the other mods saying, "hey, this person, Raptor Of Dragons, changed their username to Dalek Raptor. Keep an eye out because I heard she makes bad deals with people."

I can also see the mod getting swamped with requests and would painfully have to change the name and then write the old name along with the new name before moving on to the next person, making people impatient and we'd be back to square one with a lot of unhappy people

I've seen some websites where you have a username and a display name. Your profile url has your username, which never changes, but you can do anything you like with your display name and it didn't need to be approved.

I know it's not quite the same as there's still a connection to your old username, but something along those lines would be a compromise.

This would backfire hugely. A ton of people are unhappy with their usernames right now. If TJ mods someone just to change someone's username, they would ultimately have to create a gigantic list. Especially if people that make bad deals or cheat the system somehow gets away with this. Also, EG. The mod would have to PM all the other mods saying, "hey, this person, Raptor Of Dragons, changed their username to Dalek Raptor. Keep an eye out because I heard she makes bad deals with people."

I can also see the mod getting swamped with requests and would painfully have to change the name and then write the old name along with the new name before moving on to the next person, making people impatient and we'd be back to square one with a lot of unhappy people

Well, no matter what happens people will still be angry! Already TJ is going to have a list and if he does change usernames, people will PM him about people making bad deals... So, I think its back at square one.

Of course, I don't see everyone getting a name change overnight, a probably might take a few weeks, month at most but people will have to be patient. laugh.gif I don't think a few more weeks are going to kill, considering that many have been waiting for years. tongue.gif And if a mod is happy to do something like that, I don't think it would be painful... Copy and paste and it is done IMO. Not painful, just repetitive.

The mod could even have a "thread" for other mods to see of the name changes thats taken place. Ctl+F and you can find if a username has changed names, from what and into the new one. Don't think it would be that painful TBH. Even without, the mods will have to find out anyway about the name change.

...So I don't get what your getting at... smile.gif No matter what, people will be unhappy and the site would need some "major" reno's to get the name changes going...

Edited by aussieJJDude

Well, no matter what happens people will still be angry! Already TJ is going to have a list and if he does change usernames, people will PM him about people making bad deals... So, I think its back at square one.

Of course, I don't see everyone getting a name change overnight, a probably might take a few weeks, month at most but people will have to be patient. laugh.gif I don't think a few more weeks are going to kill, considering that many have been waiting for years. tongue.gif And if a mod is happy to do something like that, I don't think it would be painful... Copy and paste and it is done IMO. Not painful, just repetitive.

The mod could even have a "thread" for other mods to see of the name changes thats taken place. Ctl+F and you can find if a username has changed names, from what and into the new one. Don't think it would be that painful TBH. Even without, the mods will have to find out anyway about the name change.

...So I don't get what your getting at... smile.gif No matter what, people will be unhappy and the site would need some "major" reno's to get the name changes going...

I still think people should have the right to change their own username. I could see where Copy/Paste would come in handy, but ultimately, it should be users themselves that should change their usernames and not rely on someone else change it for them.

Even if this was implemented, I think it should have a cool down, even for a mod. Besides, if TJ wanted a mod for this, I think he would have said something or he would have appointed someone to do this

I still think people should have the right to change their own username. I could see where Copy/Paste would come in handy, but ultimately, it should be users themselves that should change their usernames and not rely on someone else change it for them.

Even if this was implemented, I think it should have a cool down, even for a mod. Besides, if TJ wanted a mod for this, I think he would have said something or he would have appointed someone to do this

I totally agree with you, it would be less heartache if the user could change their name... But for some reason, TJ hasn't really shown any progress... Could be he is "unhappy" with players changing their name? But for whatever reason, I thought an "official body/mod" would be great for the player's base and TJ, as he can devote more time in other areas.

And of course, I swear I put down somewhere that it would have cooldowns, only mods and see and whatnot... Obviously i didn't! laugh.gif

But yeah, I thought a bit out of the box. I know. However, maybe TJ hasn't thought of this, who knows what he thinks about during his spare time? But it was more of an idea, which can be build/tweaked and worked upon. smile.gif

I totally agree with you, it would be less heartache if the user could change their name... But for some reason, TJ hasn't really shown any progress... Could be he is "unhappy" with players changing their name? But for whatever reason, I thought an "official body/mod" would be great for the player's base and TJ, as he can devote more time in other areas.

And of course, I swear I put down somewhere that it would have cooldowns, only mods and see and whatnot... Obviously i didn't!  laugh.gif

But yeah, I thought a bit out of the box. I know. However, maybe TJ hasn't thought of this, who knows what he thinks about during his spare time? But it was more of an idea, which can be build/tweaked and worked upon. smile.gif

TJ hardly appoints mods tho. Out of all the years I have been here, only once have I seen him actually mod. And that was for the newer mods like Fire-Ice and them. He still has yet to pick the Description Mods. If he was going to appoint a Mod for this, he would have done so when he was taking mod applications.

We were promised that he would implement this years ago, still hasn't happened yet.

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Here's a thought. $5 for a name change. Works on another forum I am on. And having to pay for something like that does not impact game play.

Here's a thought. $5 for a name change. Works on another forum I am on. And having to pay for something like that does not impact game play.

And for the people that can't afford the $5 or are unable to (whether age, finances ect..)? Sorry to play devils advocate, but not everyone can throw around money... or unable to. At most, I prefer a "forum currency" where it "totals" for 5 years, and after 5 years you can change your name. (So basically, after 5 years you can submit for a name change if wanted). Gives people to option to change their names, but gives the long term players a chance to change....

Raptor of Dragons, true... But I guess we can go around saying yes or no without TJ confirming for himself. He might possibly hate my idea, or might love it (with some tweaking). Just because he hardly appoints mods, doesn't mean that he doesn't "like" too. Could be for various reasons, that he satisfied with how the board is running; feels like there's "no-one good" or just enjoys the control over the forum... (The last one doesn't meant to sound like he is a control freak, rather he enjoys his forum duties. I know I do... smile.gif ) But yeah, I can see your point totally.

However, just because he hardly appoints mods doesn't mean that the idea should be scrapped totally IMO, thats like saying we shouldn't make dragon requests, because there's only a few per month and many people submit a request, so "ours" won't make the final cut. There's a small chance that "our" request might make it. laugh.gif

Edited by aussieJJDude

Raptor of Dragons, true... But I guess we can go around saying yes or no without TJ confirming for himself. He might possibly hate my idea, or might love it (with some tweaking). Just because he hardly appoints mods, doesn't mean that he doesn't "like" too. Could be for various reasons, that he satisfied with how the board is running; feels like there's "no-one good" or just enjoys the control over the forum... (The last one doesn't meant to sound like he is a control freak, rather he enjoys his forum duties. I know I do... smile.gif ) But yeah, I can see your point totally.

However, just because he hardly appoints mods doesn't mean that the idea should be scrapped totally IMO, thats like saying we shouldn't make dragon requests, because there's only a few per month and many people submit a request, so "ours" won't make the final cut. There's a small chance that "our" request might make it. laugh.gif

Well, I might just go ahead and PM a mod since I haven't really head back from TJ or anything and ask them about this suggestion. I can't remember the exact date where I read where TJ said he was going to do this and this was started in 2014! And we literally have gotten no where close to having an answer