vixen1

ANSWERED:Username Change

I think Sock was referring to another forum for that.

Yep. For those that don't know, CS refers to ChickenSmoothie, another adoptables site. =)

Erm, kind of an urgent question..but..if there IS a way of getting a new username here, as well as on Dragcave itself, how would I go about doing it?

I've had some IRL troubles that have led to me needing to change my names around quite a lot, so I won't be found by someone who is giving me a LOT of trouble. :/

Erm, kind of an urgent question..but..if there IS a way of getting a new username here, as well as on Dragcave itself, how would I go about doing it?

I've had some IRL troubles that have led to me needing to change my names around quite a lot, so I won't be found by someone who is giving me a LOT of trouble. :/

If there is an issue with forum harassment and/or unwanted ongoing contact, you would contact a mod/admin to issue a cease and desist/warning to that person and if it continued they would be banned. Additionally you can add them to you messaging list and "block" any contact from them.

However, while you are always allowed to create a new forum account and basically "start over" with a new name (which can be annoying I understand), however, since you cannot change your scroll name, if you are going to still link that with your forum name, the answer still becomes no on that at this point. Unless you have an extreme situation, then at that point you may wish to contact the admin.

This is probably the best answer to be given "at this time", however, this type of case, while it supports this idea, is sort of the extreme example of a reason to implement this, and for that, is better directed to someone who can help you out more NOW.

However, severe enough issues also can fall under internet stalking and harassment which is generally illegal and violates various Terms of Services on various internet places and violates laws so you may want to review contacting law enforcement. But on this question about DC I highly recommend reaching out to a mod/admin.

Edited by natayah

However, while you are always allowed to create a new forum account and basically "start over" with a new name (which can be annoying I understand), however, since you cannot change your scroll name, if you are going to still link that with your forum name, the answer still becomes no on that at this point. Unless you have an extreme situation, then at that point you may wish to contact the admin.

i thought you were only allowed to have one forum account, along with one scroll?

either way, i support the idea of a name change 100%. my username is quite old and tied to some bad memories so i'd like to change it, if possible. it would be much simpler if i could change the name and still keep the same forum account instead of switching over and having to explain things to rps and the like.

i honestly wouldn't like the name changes to cost money (though i am on board with the first change is free, then pay) because a lot of the playerbase is considerably younger, and sometimes they don't have the ability or means of sparing 5$. all of the money in my bank account is the funds i've gathered from working inbetween school and commissions where i could, and that goes towards school funding and future things for when i have to move out. even if it's just five dollars, it's difficult sometimes to come up with that amount of money.

i've also seen forums where they give out a free name change once a year or so, and then the message displays something like this: you have __ free name changes left. additional changes will cost ___.

i think displaying old usernames is a good idea, though i wouldn't like my old username to violently pop up underneath my current one. maybe if you click the player profile, there's a small section that lists the name(s)?

just my two cents on the topic. a name change option would honestly be a lifesaver.

Not sure if it is possible or not.. But I was curious if I can get a name change on the Cave site?

I currently do not like my username on there..

Not sure if it is possible or not.. But I was curious if I can get a name change on the Cave site?

I currently do not like my username on there..

Basically - not at the moment unless there are VERY special circumstances (as in a genuine stalker is out to get you. And I don't mean someone just killing your dragons.

I really need this. I'm transgender and my scroll was part of who birth name me was. I don't like the female name and it causes me gender dysphoria ontop of the fact that that was a horrible stage of my life that almost all of the older people can harass me on.... *Sighs* Makes me uncomfortable, and upset to look at. Embarrassed. Please add name change? O ^O

I would really love to be able to change my scroll name!

I made it when I was in year 7 and now I think it's stupid.

I feel like having an ID number or something might be useful? Idk

I foolishly misspelled my cave name, and it's hard to remember the exact way in which I misspelled it to get to my account, so I would love to have the option even once to change it so I can fix the error. :u

YES to a Name Changing feature! I have wanted to change my name in the past because stupid 12 year old me came up with my forum/scroll name. Ugh. But this has been more relevant for me in just the past 3 weeks. I'm going through a divorce with my abusive husband and he plays DC. I actually introduced him to the game. He knows my identity on here and I'm tempted to just throw this account away and start a new one because I can't change my forum name or my scroll name. My husband has sent me threatening messages through text, so what's gonna stop him from doing it through games I play? I don't want to report the situation to a Mod/TJ yet because it hasn't happened yet and I don't want to bug them with my own personal problems...

TL;DR - I am behind this 100% for various reasons.

While I think I'm happy with my name, having used it on YouTube for eight or nine years now, I think that you should have the ability to change your name. Maybe it could be a BSA for leetle trees? Since leetles already have a scroll limit and they are quite rare, this would give everyone an equal opportunity to change their name. This also prevents noobs from changing their username. It could also have an effect on the tree, where the tree would die after a certain number of name changes due to the loss of branches.

100% support. I came up with my scroll/forums name when I was 13.

and i've had mine since i was 10! would love the opportunity to change it.

i don't think it should be a BSA or anything. this is a very basic feature and i think we should all have the chance to change our name with limits. perhaps you can only change it once, ever, or only once every 1-2 years--anything. just let me change it !

While I think I'm happy with my name, having used it on YouTube for eight or nine years now, I think that you should have the ability to change your name. Maybe it could be a BSA for leetle trees? Since leetles already have a scroll limit and they are quite rare, this would give everyone an equal opportunity to change their name. This also prevents noobs from changing their username. It could also have an effect on the tree, where the tree would die after a certain number of name changes due to the loss of branches.

Except for the fact that it makes no sense as a leetle tree BSA. Might as well just make it a very restricted action if the only reason for putting it on leetle trees is to restrict it.

I came on to the forum to find this exact type of thread. I just came back after 4 year hiatus, wiped my scroll entirely except for my zombie to start completely new, and realized I hate my username. I used this name exploring sites I wasn't sure I was going to stay on and after I collected 3 pages of dragons in the past and concluded I liked it here, I was never able to switch to an actual worthwhile name. Once I collected all the dragons I could at the time, I left off to come back a while later and boyhowdy there are a LOT more breeds, and since I didn't like my scroll setup before, hence my wiping it clear, I concluded I'd come back, clear it all except 1, and start fresh. I'd appreciate an ability to change it. I mean there are plenty of people who did this, as stated in this thread, I'm not the only one who thinks at least 1 free change could be worthwhile.

I know some sites allow one username change per account?

Or some sites make you pay for it, like you're only allowed to if you have a subscription of some sort.

(Perhaps it would say something like "formerly ____" for a period of time before vanishing?)(Edit: And for the purposes of having blocked people, maybe it should just....change with it? I know on some sites when you change your name it changes in the contact lists and everything. I'm no programmer or admin or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure it could be done here?)

Now that this site is a little over ten years old, I think this feature is really important. I know for a fact that younger-me would have chosen something cheesy for a username that I'd loathe now. (In fact I'm pretty sure they did, but it would have been at the very beginning of this site. I don't recall at all since it was so so long ago though and this is a fresh new account with no ties to an ancient lost account.)

Edited by irrelevantindigo

Stopping by to drop support.

A site that does it pretty well is the serebii Pokémon forums. Users have to submit their desired change to a forum thread that is only open certain months of the year, I think it's like April and October, and have a 2 year period, I believe, where they can't change it again.

I didn't know what to call myself and now that I have lots of usernames that I love, I hate this one. It's really long and awkward. Not sure what I was thinking. (Username means something like Dragon rider and tamer)

A site that does it pretty well is the serebii Pokémon forums. Users have to submit their desired change to a forum thread that is only open certain months of the year, I think it's like April and October, and have a 2 year period, I believe, where they can't change it again.

This relies solely on the admin to do it, though. Plus if you open it up yearly but require a two year wait, you then have to check every single user's request before changing the name. An automated process (if possible) would be easier, especially since we only have one admin.

Yes, please! Twelve year old me haunts me every time I open DC. I think it should be an automated process, available every six months, possibly requiring email verification. I don't think that a paper trail is entirely necessary, although if one could be implemented without too much difficulty it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'd love that option. I chose my username when I was like 13 and I think it's boring and ridiculous today. Why was that option never available in the first place? People have been asking for it since the dawn of time.

I support this. I'm fine with my own username on DC, but I've had names on other sites I regretted, so I appreciate that having the option to change can be important.

Another forum I belong to charges a small fee for a name change. Perhaps something like that could be implemented here.

ETA my thinking is that a fee would discourage frequent name changes, and also make it worthwhile for admin to do, as the revenue would help support the site.

Edited by Laura-Borealis

personally, i think it's ludicrous that this site is roughly ten years old and still there has been no feature to manually change your username/scrollname or request a change. almost every site has this option, so it really can't be that difficult to implement here.

i understand the issue of not being able to find people or whatnot, but fixes to this have been mentioned. messages that state previous usernames (indefinitely or for a limited amount of time), moderator/admin approval, etc. with the addition of not opening names that have been changed (say if i changed mine, pikachu59013 would not be an available name), there could be a feature that if someone went to the scroll if would automatically redirect to the current username. i believe this is how deviantART currently works.

regardless of HOW it is done, i see no reason for why it SHOULDN'T be done. it's a very, very common feature on most sites and even mobile apps, so there are ways to do it. it could even cost a small amount of money, to cut down on users constantly changing their name and help garner a small amount of income.

also, forum usernames. i believe the forum program (invision power board) has a feature that actually allows users to change their display name, if not the username/registered name itself. this already being a coded feature in the host program, there is literally 0 reason why we can't change our forum names or display names aside from the fact that, someone, somewhere, doesn't want us to. or so it seems to me, anyway.

tl;dr

i'm bitter and frustrated about my username that i've had for almost ten years and the fact there is still no way to change it. plus it took nearly two weeks to hear back from staff about it. orz

it's possible, it can be done, and it has been done on a million other games, websites, and apps. there is no reason why something can't be worked out here, too.

Edited by pikachu59013