vixen1

ANSWERED:Username Change

Starbit-Plushie is a username I only ever use on DC, and I have no idea where it came from. I'd much prefer to be my other net usernames such as Stars.

Actually, about the stalking/harassment stuff...

...Couldn't whoever is going after you do just what's been suggested and simply keep track of the member number to keep targeting you even after you change your username?

So, changing it doesn't actually ensure that you're safe from them.

So, changing it doesn't actually ensure that you're safe from them.

It keeps them from Google searching you though.

Which is the exact reason why I really would like a scroll name change for sure.

I once had a person harassing me on here and off site (I did contact admins here, and they helped me with it. Thank you to those who did.) but they found me via Google search.

Edited by Lyxii

What if all you want to do is make the first letter an upper case of the same letter it already is?

I would like to change my username of my scroll to match my forum name I have currently. I had a forum acct with the same name as my scroll, but I ended up pissing off the wrong person a long time ago and all my online accts were hacked into. So I no longer had access to it and had to make a new forum acct. Now everyone who probably sees my scroll on the site PMs the wrong forum name...I wish it was all consistent. >:

My ideal solution would be something like:

* Allow name changes

* Make old names connected with new names to prevent trying to hide from scamming

* Have a "cooldown" of at least two months for being able to change a name and/or an overall number of times someone is allowed to change their name

* Have a clearly visible way for people who need an untraceable name change due to harassment etc to be able to contact a mod who will give them the exception to new names having the old name connected

Edited by diaveborn

Is this strictly for on the forums, or is is for the cave itself as well?

I have no problem with my forum name, but my cave username is kind of...derpy, and I'd like it if my forum name and cave name matched.

Should def make an option to change the user name.

Your own name would suggest otherwise xd.png

But if it does come in, there MUST be a way for us to be able to tell who you were before - and people on our block lists must somehow manage to stay there even if they change their names.

yeah im for that i kinda hate this old username because i made it up when i was 15? id kinda like to have one that refers to a more appropriate name for myself that isnt as weird and obscure

i mean i can see that a scammer might take advantage of this but there could be a history list of what old usernames there were for moderaters to look at since it would edit the coding of the site potentially?

i dont mind not changing the one on here since the forums dont usually get updated since they are old and TJ doesn't have the time to waste with the old system in the forums since he is a very busy man.

i would just like to change the actual username for my scroll since i have since disposed of any other sites that have had that username and ive changed as a person

id much rather have one related to who i am now

there should be a limit of how many times you can change though within a certain amount of time. that could help dispose of some scammers and people constantly changing their name or we could change it so that way our scrolls are based on an ID number and the name of the scroll is akin to our dragons and their codes we can change it but we cannot change the code

I've been dying to change my scroll name lately too, if that's what is meant by username. I'm fine with my forum name but I made my scroll name years ago and it just doesn't suit me at all anymore. In fact, I've started to hate it sad.gif

I'm usually against something like this because of the sheer amount of confusion it causes; there's actually a general roleplay rule on Chicken Smoothie telling players to not change their usernames, because if they post again it looks like some random person just decided to hop in without permission (and it's not like you can look at the signature or avatar, those are both ginormous and constantly changing... my goodness, I have a hard time navigating on there...) I digress though, if changing one's username becomes available I would like for it to be very restrictive, similar to how changing one's name in real life can be a serious process. It wouldn't be beneficial at all for people to go changing their names willy-nilly, after all. On the other hand, I'm not completely against it; my username is pretty silly (and quite honestly, heavily-influenced by my brother's 5-second decisions xd.png), but even though I wouldn't change it I imagine other people who have been in similar situations would love the option to change their usernames.

I think I would be fine with a username change with a long cooldown of 6 months to a year (to prevent overall confusion and "spamming" of the option; it also clarifies that usernames are supposed to be more permanent titles and not just nicknames that change at random), and if anyone was to go searching for a person who has changed his username it would list the old username next to the new one for a limited period of time; say, a week or two. So if someone named "crazeecaterpilar" fixed up the username, so the new username is "CrazyCaterpillar", searching for the username "crazeecaterpilar" would list it as follows:

User not found. Listing similar usernames instead:

-CrazyCaterpillar (old username: crazeecaterpilar)

-(List of similar usernames follow; recently-changed usernames always take priority)

The section in parenthesis could disappear in 7 days after the name change so that stalking can't be a huge problem (or hiding past mistakes), while at the same time keeping people searching for that user-say, to keep up-to-date for an IOU or something-informed that the name change did happen, and that in the future they should search for that username instead. I would be happy with this option.

I think it's funny to hear everyone so embarrassed about their usernames, when I look at them and I don't think there's anything wrong with them. (Then again, I'm mostly on Tumblr lately... people there come up with some pretty embarrassing usernames...)

As someone who just came back from a long hiatus (who knows how long I'll stay this time) I think it's important to keep "who is this person again?" information around indefinitely. I would be really disoriented if I'd come back and didn't recognize anybody here, and had no way of knowing, "oh, that's olympe, that's fuzzbucket, that's Sockpuppet Strangler... I know these people and I know what to expect from them.

I think it would be best to list a user's old usernames right there on their posts, in the sidebar, under the avatar with all the other info.

I'm super embarrassed of my scroll username and I constantly wish I could change it. :S I'd love for that to be an option, but that being said, I certainly do agree that there need to be restrictions on it. Perhaps a cooldown of 6 months or a year.

If this happens, I think the name trail should be permanent. If I promised someone a 2nd gen gold for their lineage project and mine just aren't cooperating, if they change their username in the meantime and the name trail is very short lived, they aren't getting that gold because I won't be able to find them when they finally do produce.

If nothing else (without a permanent name trail) there should be a warning that past acquaintances might not be able to find them, and that any promises made to them (of whatever nature) might not be able to be filled.

If this happens, I think the name trail should be permanent. If I promised someone a 2nd gen gold for their lineage project and mine just aren't cooperating, if they change their username in the meantime and the name trail is very short lived, they aren't getting that gold because I won't be able to find them when they finally do produce.

If nothing else (without a permanent name trail) there should be a warning that past acquaintances might not be able to find them, and that any promises made to them (of whatever nature) might not be able to be filled.

ABSOLUTELY.

I personally like my username, I've used it for years and was well-known by it as a recolorist in the Sims 2 universe. But I can understand why others would want to change theirs.

But like the others, I think we need to be able to track the name, to prevent scams. And I also think it's up to the user to let people know about the change, like in the sig, otherwise, no one can be faulted for cancelling a trade, etc, if they can't find them.

Edited by Riverwillows

I would also love this option. I've had an account for five years now and when I made it I was still quite a kid more or less. This is the only place where I still use "evinin" since I find it less confusing if the scroll name and forum name match. But I would love to change them to the name I've been using on the web for a few years now. It's not like I'm embarrassed of the name - I just feel as if my scroll deserves to change/evolve/grow as I have changed, too. Five years is a long time.

If this happens, I think the name trail should be permanent.  If I promised someone a 2nd gen gold for their lineage project and mine just aren't cooperating, if they change their username in the meantime and the name trail is very short lived, they aren't getting that gold because I won't be able to find them when they finally do produce.

Are we talking about changing forum username or scroll username? Because trades and such concern forum username. Or am I missing something? Personally, I would like to change my scroll name. Why? Because.

Edit: I noticed a few people that went around the issue of the scroll username. I'm thinking of some that got their scroll charred, kept their forum username and ... are still quite active.

Edited by NotBambi

People seem to be talking about both. But the forums is definitely a part of the suggestion. I don't care as much about being able to change scroll name because it can't be used to contact anyone.