vixen1

ANSWERED:Username Change

Another forum I belong to charges a small fee for a name change. Perhaps something like that could be implemented here.

ETA my thinking is that a fee would discourage frequent name changes, and also make it worthwhile for admin to do, as the revenue would help support the site.

I'm on that forum too, and I concur. I know TJ has always said that the game shalt be free - but this isn't something that anyone HAS to do; they can always play under their old name if they don't have the small amount of cash. But it MUST be possible to track the original name, so that we can know when dodgy traders are changing their IDs to get around that ( on ebay, for instance, you can view the entire ID history.) On the forum Laura refers to, ALL old posts etc from a user show up when you call up the new name, so you can see them as part of their history.

dropping support in here as well, please let my scroll name die, its insanely shameful and i don't like to share it at all and also a partial reason why i stopped collecting new dragons

I would really like to be able to change my forum name so that it's the same as my scroll name.

When I first set up a forum account I was advised to use a different name from my scroll name and so did so. However, I realise how much easier it would be if the two were the same. (Not to mention the small thing as to how much 'easier' it would be to log in with a simpler forum name *g*).

I would like to change the name of my scroll too.

Maybe one idea. For instance: my scroll name is XYW and I would change it to WXY. My scroll would be then named WYX formerly XYW for three (or more or less) months. Same for forum name. So it will not be problem for all members to find out, I have changed my nickname.

We'd need the old name to be visible forevah. There ARE scammers here, bad traders, and we need to be able to see them - they must not be able to hide behind a new name, secure in the knowledge that their history will vanish in a couple of months.

Can i just pop in to say I support this as well.

It's gotten quite a few supports since it's been suggested.

I really want to change my scroll name to my forum name (i made my forum name recently) on the site since it was originally created when I first turned 13. x'D

I'm now nearly 21 stuck with my childhood username on a site I can't exactly start over on tongue.gif

I was just looking for an option to change my name only to realize there is none ohmy.gif (Yes I've been here for years and only now wanted to change it!)

I support the idea wholeheartedly, because a lot of people, like me pick a name quickly (I'm the one who takes foerever to come up with a name that isn't used yet) and if they like the site they stay but they might want to have a name that suits them better.

Also no fee! Honestly I think it's a bad idea, no offence to those who suggested it, but I don't think any site should ask for money for name change. Also have you considered that 5 dollars might be a small fee to you but in other countries it is not that small? (like where I live...)

On the other hand, how about only letting those change their name who have been on the site for X months or a whole year? And of course limit the time you can do it.

The old name could also just be displayed on the site like a name history or something.

I too wish a fiery death upon my waaaay too long and annoying to read username.

I agree that changing usernames way too often would be confusing and annoying, especially in sections like Dragon Requests where I kinda rely on peoples' usernames to tell who's who. Whether having to wait a certain amount of real-time between usernames, or only allowing it to be changed once, I desperately want this feature.

I'm going to go ahead and bump this as I still would love to see this take place

Edit for typos

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

We'd need the old name to be visible forevah. There ARE scammers here, bad traders, and we need to be able to see them - they must not be able to hide behind a new name, secure in the knowledge that their history will vanish in a couple of months.

This is correct. Don't think most users had thought of that problem.

I'm being frank and completely honest. I'm disappointed this didn't take place in the 11th Birthday of DC. Not only have users been asking for this for a long time, most of us have usernames that we would rather much change from when we first started.

I'm actually correcting people telling them to call me Dalek Raptor, most people here know me as that now. Sometimes they call me Raptor and I'm chill with it as it's still part of my name.

Since this was bumped (and I have permission), I'll just let ya'll know that changing your forum usernames (with a cooldown limit) will be a thing with the updated forums. ^^

(Which means that soon a new and updated thread may be good, just for suggesting a username change for the cave.)

Since this was bumped (and I have permission), I'll just let ya'll know that changing your forum usernames (with a cooldown limit) will be a thing with the updated forums. ^^

(Which means that soon a new and updated thread may be good, just for suggesting a username change for the cave.)

Thanks for letting us know, Sock!

I admit I did wonder if this would happen when TJ announced there would be an update to the forums.

This is excellent news.

YES! It's about time! Thank you for letting us know Sock! I really appreciate it

Please tell me the old names will still be shown.... (like ebay's ID history thing.)

For that reason I am seriously iffy about name change for the CAVE - we MUST be able to see who was who.

Please tell me the old names will still be shown.... (like ebay's ID history thing.)

I can't say if it'll be implemented, but I do know that Invision has the capability to track and display username changes. I would guess that this would be included in DCF's upgrade.

Guys, you DON'T need to know one's old usernames forever and if you didnt' know it before on your own! Why even bother changing your shameful username if it's still glued to you and bringing you shame even after you changed it?

Having it exactly like on Deviantart WILL protect you enough, no need to be paranoic...

A sollution could be to temporarily prevent avatar change a few months before and after a fourm username change. This way people could learn to asociate the same avatar with the new username if they wanted. Such users could have their usernames somehow highlighted. Also the old coudl display for a while and disappear from view a bit sooner than the avatar could be changeable again.

There are many harrasing users on Deviantart and have always been, old usernames disappear after a few months unless you go to the old username link (the mechanic is explained in the first post, so I won't be repeating myself) and guess what, disappearance of old usernames doesn't influence harassing at all! I was harrased by one sicko who's going by like 3rd username ever since, they harrased me under 2, yet I still knew who they were even though the old username didn't show for me during the 2nd instance of harrasment... I can't even remember their usernames except one (no longer in use btw!), yet I still can easly recognize or find them with DA's system which does not let you browse one's old usernames after a few months but allows you to search the user by the old username. Seriosuly, no need to be paranoic... and on DC all you can do is failng an IOU (which is not even supported by the rules as a form of trading BTW), and to spam you with PMs.

The only sollution against harrasment of any kind is an user BLOCKING system. Works better than your potential username memory or anything.

Also, to make a new forum account and force a clean username history is easy and the cost is worth it. And normally you don't know a person's scrollname anyway! So why on Earth should the old usernames befoul the in-game space in particular while this can technically be so easly avoided in the forum - the only place where this could potentially make ANY difference?

Why ruin the feature this way? This won't help anyone in anything but will make the username change like 99% pointless if one needs a name change for sth else than a pure whim of wanting simply a new username for the sake of a new username and jsut getting bored... but if the reason is shame of any kind, then sorry, username change doesn't solve anything if the old one is to be shown to everyone forever...

Edited by VixenDra

I don't see why it's such a problem.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to disallow avatar changes for months. And a system like dA's is fine, but remember, we are stick with the tools that Invision forums gives us. I don't know if they have that capability.

I would rather have username history displayed forever than not at all -- it just becomes difficult to keep track.

Besides, the only way to find username history would be to visit someone else's profile. It's not as if it would be listed after every single post. Someone would need to go looking for it.

That sounds very reasonable to me.

Guys, you DON'T need to know one's old usernames forever and if you didnt' know it before on your own! Why even bother changing your shameful username if it's still glued to you and bringing you shame even after you changed it?

Having it exactly like on Deviantart WILL protect you enough, no need to be paranoic...

A sollution could be to temporarily prevent avatar change a few months before and after a fourm username change. This way people could learn to asociate the same avatar with the new username if they wanted. Such users could have their usernames somehow highlighted. Also the old coudl display for a while and disappear from view a bit sooner than the avatar could be changeable again.

There are many harrasing users on Deviantart and have always been, old usernames disappear after a few months unless you go to the old username link (the mechanic is explained in the first post, so I won't be repeating myself) and guess what, disappearance of old usernames doesn't influence harassing at all! I was harrased by one sicko who's going by like  3rd username ever since, they harrased me under 2, yet I still knew who they were even though the old username didn't show for me during the 2nd instance of harrasment... I can't even remember their usernames except one (no longer in use btw!), yet I still can easly recognize or find them with DA's system which does not let you browse one's old usernames after a few months but allows you to search the user by the old username. Seriosuly, no need to be paranoic... and on DC all you can do is failng an IOU (which is not even supported by the rules as a form of trading BTW), and to spam you with PMs.

The only sollution against harrasment of any kind is an user BLOCKING system. Works better than your potential username memory or anything.

Also, to make a new forum account and force a clean username history is easy and the cost is worth it. And normally you don't know a person's scrollname anyway! So why on Earth should the old usernames befoul the in-game space in particular while this can technically be so easly avoided in the forum - the only place where this could potentially make ANY difference?

Why ruin the feature this way? This won't help anyone in anything but will make the username change like 99% pointless if one needs a name change for sth else than a pure whim of wanting simply a new username for the sake of a new username and jsut getting bored... but if the reason is shame of any kind, then sorry, username change doesn't solve anything if the old one is to be shown to everyone forever...

If someone is a scammer, someone who cheats on trades, they should NOT be able to hide behind a new name. Trading is often done on forum. And people are also asking for name changes on scrolls.

Most people it wouldn't matter, sure, But the day you are scammed by someone you were aware of under another name, you'll regret taking this line.

I'm on another forum where we buy and sell actual stuff. Trust me, you DO need to know who you are dealing with.

Edited by fuzzbucket

A probably useful tip on the forum tracking: if you know your memory can fail you, rely on user IDs that we all have assigned, and unlike usernames, they never change. Collecting screenshots for a limited time also helps.

If the cave itself followed the same system from the very beginning (fixed ID, changeable username), tracking potentially fishy users and scammers down would've been much more effective. Implementing that now would probably require flipping the cave upside down, I don't know, I'm not a coder. But I know it would not be a walk in the park for TJ, and not a happy time for us players either.

Little morning thoughts. Whichever method is finally chosen, I'll be happy with it regardless. I can't remember if I have ever been scammed on DCF, I recall that vaguely happening once and only once. I just want to move on, I don't feel such strong connection with my name as I used to anymore. I mean, I can live with that wherever the possibility of a change is out of reach, but wherever there's an opportunity, I'll gladly take it.

Edited by Light Concorde

So we can change names now, yay! I'm not sure if I'm missing it, but I don't see a way to view someone's previous names. If we can change our names as frequently as every 30 days (!) I think it's absolutely essential that we be able to keep track easily. But I know the update just happened and not everything is in place yet. So wanted to ask, is viewing name change history a planned feature or is it intentionally not there? 

While I have no immediate intentions to change my username, I do think it's a good thing that it has now been implemented. However, I am in firm agreement that a list of past usernames should be available on profiles - scammers should not get the safety net of being able to effectively change their identity every time people are on to them or to avoid punishment.

Now to decide whether I want to erase the stupidity of an all lowercase name and give myself a proper capital H or not... (prolly keep the lowercase as long as the scroll has it for reasons of uniformity)

I wonder if the username change feature is allowed to use now or if it's something that's not going to stay there - I'd like to change my username but I'm unsure about doing it since the update isn't completely ready yet.

Oh and I also think it'd be great to see the username history. On some other forums that use the same layout there's an option to see a person's past usernames so maybe it could be a thing here as well but I'm not exactly sure where that was.

I'm glad we can finally change forum usernames! I hope we get the ability for our scroll soon.