TJ09

2014-04-05 - Monthly Release Notice

*grumbles* This is really such a bad idea. Releasing when a good portion of users are asleep means spreading out the release, people who are actually awake get theirs, then people in other timezones wake up and can get theirs...

New releases when the majority of users *are* online means mega-lag, mega-stress, hundreds upon hundreds *more* users fighting over every single egg....

Whyyyyyy is this a good idea?

This.

Exactly.

Lel, anyone thinking this will be hard. Guys, WHEN did we have issues after the introduction of the biomes? Also, even if you can't get them in the first hours you're bound go be able to afterwards. Talk about whiny.

Nah, what I'm whining about will be that there was no official confirmation on whether the April's fool was a legit feature or not, which it very well could have been.

Ah, but I always loved how I could get up at 8 a.m. in the morning and it was two hours after the release, the perfect time for catching the new eggs. But 7 p.m. is fine for me as well, and I like a bit of a challenge. Personally I've found the last releases a bit boring, because it only took me a few clicks to lock myself. (I would never have complained, though, as I know that there are still users that have problems getting the new release eggs. wink.gif) So, feel free to try this out, TJ. :>

I don't think this is a good idea. For one thing, the cave is likely to be swarmed with many more users, leading to even greater lag and annoyance when the eggs begin to drop. Also, for many people, it's going to be happening in the middle of the work/school day, or in the evening before work/school, and that's going to make it more difficult for them to get eggs if they want them. That doesn't seem very fair to them.

Personally, I prefer the midnight drop start time because it spreads things out better. It's easier for me to get online at midnight than it is for me to get online in the middle of the day when I'm busy doing other things and have other demands on my time and attention. I hope the new dragons are common. At least then they'll be easier to catch later.

I preferred the earlier time, but this time is at least theoretically do-able for me, if much less convenient. It does have the effect that most of the event falls on Monday for me, which I can see a lot of people having problems with, given the need to work for a living.

The downside is likely to be the greatly increased strain on the servers — almost the entire DC community is going to be online at that time (minus those between Eastern Europe and the Far East), where the old plan got the night-owls in the U.S. and the morning people in Europe finished with the event before the bulk of the U.S. users came online.

I do hope that the "purity" of the drop from last month carries over — as I recall there were a lot less cave blockers mixing in then than any time in the past.

Well, I'll try to catch some while on break or maybe sneak it in during work time in the morning. Before, the time was before bed so I can always catch a few and catch the rest later. Hopefully it's another common dragon but I would like to get a breeding pair on the first day. unsure.gif

We'll see how it goes.

I´m NOT happy with this. Getting up at 5:45am, having my fill of new eggs and having time for other things the rest of the day was always ok for me.

And even if the majority of Americans are awake at that time, I suppose they´ll have better things to do at a Sunday morning/midday (like lunch, work, Sunday trips, church,....)

I seriously hope this is a one-time-thing- dry.gif

I really don't mind when the release time is. If they were only going to be available to catch for an hour and then never to be seen again I might care; but not for new releases.

I've always missed the release times thanks to my time zone and work hours, and even with the heavy traffic of this new time I might still miss out; but I'll get some later if I do. If not by the cave, then by abandoned ones.

I've missed a lot of the holiday ones thanks to work commitments; so I don't see reason to complain.

I'm just happy that more dragons are being released. I am looking forward to seeing what they look like.

Lel, anyone thinking this will be hard. Guys, WHEN did we have issues after the introduction of the biomes? Also, even if you can't get them in the first hours you're bound go be able to afterwards. Talk about whiny.

Why is it whiny? Most here are expressing their honest concern that they might not be able to make it to the release. Not just for the first hours, but for the entire first 12-24-36 hours of the release. Old eggs start mixing in after three hours usually... so the longer away from the start, the harder it gets.

I go to bed when it starts, go to full-time work when I get up, get home arond 9-10 hours later (due to driving time), have three dogs (while others mention they have children which is way more time-consuming than dogs) I need to walk seperately, then I have studies for my course which happens every single monday afternoon/early evening... and then I'm off to bed when I get home.

All this means, online time for me on sunday evening -> monday evening = 0 hours = having a very hard time getting the new release eggs since I'll not actually have any online time before tuesday afternoon. Should the eggs be rare, I can forget all about it.

Edited by Immaling

It will be about 6pm for me, which don't mind, but the excitement of waking up to them is gone tongue.gif Did prefer the old time and the last release seemed perfect - eggs in biomes for 24 hours without the mixers and nothing but good things for people to say from what remember?

If this does benefit other time zones that completely miss out or issues as so much later for them that is good smile.gif

For me 1 PM EST is 10 PM, for my friends 1 PM EST is about 1 AM of... Monday. We can't stay at home in Monday, we need go to work... We can't adopt new eggs. It is sad.

Thanks TJ, question: Will that be the next releases too? then i mustn't get up so early (the regulary releases are at me at 6 o'clock).

Normally I'd accept whatever is thrown at me (though it falls on 7 PM for me now, which is somewhat inconvenient, and I liked waking up to new dragons better - but ok, I can deal), but since there are so many others who don't like this for various reasons, I'll chime in as well... please please keep it the way it was before? smile.gif

Nah, what I'm whining about will be that there was no official confirmation on whether the April's fool was a legit feature or not, which it very well could have been.

I like the new release timeslot. It fits me perfectly at 1am on Monday. And I totally don't mind having it suddenly delayed for that purpose.

Okay, this is fake as hell. But I hope you feel better with this simulated positive feedback.

You may have to realize that there are legitimate concerns behind all the negative reaction. And it is overwhelmingly so from a large amount of forum users rather than a few vocal ones.

Not on board with this idea. :/ 1 pm EST = 11 am for. I'm at work. With no internet access. No new eggs for me, I guess, unless the drop lasts a whole lot longer than it normally does.

Not holding my breath for that, TBH.

Oh, great...

I bet the drops'll be mixed by the time I get up... ;_;

Unless he'll be nice and do 24 hours of pure drops...

I have to say that I think that the encroachment into Monday that some people will experience is concerning. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if releases don't get bumped back a day to Saturday at 1 pm Eastern time starting with the next one we have.

TBH, although I'm sure there was a reason, I never quite understood why it was a Sunday thing in the first place. But since we're making a change anyway, it seems like it would be a good idea to adjust the day, too, at the next possible opportunity.

I guess I could be okay about this. Releases doesn't happened during the week anymore which is awesome but having to wait for a new drop is going to be torture. I don't have the memory to remember and its kinda during my family time with my mum.

We will just have to see how it goes. Maybe it won't be so bad.

midnight works best for us europe types, its our sunday morning.

but experimenting is good. I guess tongue.gif

Also adding to the people who think it's a terrible idea because the way it is now, there's not as much competition for the eggs.

Unless it's planned to have the eggs drop without mixing for MUCH longer, it's going to be a lot more complaining and general being upset because now even less people can get the eggs because they have to compete with so many other people.