TJ09

2014-04-05 - Monthly Release Notice

Either way, if the release times end up being varied, then I think we'd need an in-cave clock (one with just the hour and AM/PM, because I get why one with minutes and seconds would be problematic).

That would really be a great improvment. Especially for People like me, who have no clue what my lokal time means in DC time. biggrin.gif

And about the critics. After 17 pages I get the feeling nobody will be able to be online, so it must be really easy to get a egg. Unfortunatly I will not be able to be online myself. If I got the time right. rolleyes.gif

It is not the time that's the issue for anyone not in the US... The biggest part of the issue is that even if we get 24-hour pure drop, the release would still be largely on Monday. *Monday!*

It starts when people are about to go to sleep and ends before they get back from work/school the next day.

Edited by Shienvien

Look, dudes and dudettes.

I think the general consensus is that the reason there is so much friction over the times is occuring is the result that in most cases in the past:

a) Full drops last only a few hours

B) If we don't catch the first few hours, it becomes progressively difficult to outcompete people and grab the eggs from between the walls of the other eggs.

However, no drop time is ever going to appease everyone because we are living all around the globe. In the past, people who had access to the DC midnight drop time were perhaps more able to grab the eggs because there are usually fewer people online at the time.

A full 24 hour drop would be the most conducive because it would allow everyone to get to the eggs no matter what timezone they live in.

(though I think that after years of people on the other side of the world getting up at midnight/early mornings to grab eggs, it's probably about time they did have a more off day with regards to egg catching...)

Edited by DarkEternity

@DarkEternity: In my case, it is mainly the fact that the drop is mostly on Monday for anyone east of the US. As in, it starts when it is about to be Sunday night when it is too late for them to be up and it ends before they even get home from work the next day.

Went back to bed, now up lovely coffee. Told myself don't go catching, end up with a reddish gleam  rolleyes.gif

Having had a rethink and reading of the rest of thread, a lot of us are creatures of habit and think it boils down to something like this:

http://media.giphy.com/media/6QIzm2Qc0cOcM/giphy.gif

Yes, it's true to some extent. But have you heard of the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? It's pretty ridiculous to imagine a controversial change like this being necessary given how the last release was well-received.

I had been thinking also maybe TJ is sick of staying up so late/RL and maybe also trying a change is the only way to see if the old way is the correct one to stick to.

I've also been thinking that a nuclear explosion may be completely harmless, and pigs are capable of flying but are hiding this ability from us.

ie. Source please.

Hopefully *fingers crossed* it will be 24 hour release no mixers so whilst there is the initial rush on release it will quieten and everyone will get a chance.

Instead of merely crossing fingers and praying for that to happen, this has been suggested repeatedly over and over again, no official words from TJ AFAIK, and without any sort of confirmation the last smooth release that did last for a 24h can only be concluded as a lucky release that went perfect by sheer coincidence.

I also have faith in the community, everyone always pulls through for each other and always see hard to get eggs being offered to those that can not catch them.

No doubt about that. Doesn't change the problem that this change is both unnecessarily making things harder for a lot of people and disappointing many people who stayed up for the release only to see this at the very last minute.

Wait, so this means we only have 11 hours now to grab an egg on the release date?

The problem is that some of the drops that dropped fairly recently mixed within a couple of hours, to the point that if you didn't get them immediately, you had to hunt weeks or months.

If I trusted that they will drop pure for 24 hours, then I couldn't care less when the drop started. As it is, I try and grab as many as possible straight off because otherwise I don't know if I'll get them at all.

Same here.

It would be nice if TJ posts how long the new eggs will drop by them selves, so that we can judge if it's better to wait for lag to die down to try to grab them among the confusion when the release goes live... it's a tough choice... because there is no garentee that they will drop for 24 hrs...

On another game I play there are 'reboots' approx. every 4 days, but the exact times are randomized. That way, everyone gets reboot at a more or less convenient time sometimes. You can see the next 8 reboot times listed, so you can plan ahead as much or as little as your schedule allows, but even if you have a very busy off-line life, and no matter what timezone you are in, you're likely to get some good ones. Seems like a fair thing to do for any game that has members in so many different time zones, and with many individual habits & schedules.

Yes, it's true to some extent. But have you heard of the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? It's pretty ridiculous to imagine a controversial change like this being necessary given how the last release was well-received.

I've also been thinking that a nuclear explosion may be completely harmless, and pigs are capable of flying but are hiding this ability from us.

ie. Source please.

Instead of merely crossing fingers and praying for that to happen, this has been suggested repeatedly over and over again, no official words from TJ AFAIK, and without any sort of confirmation the last smooth release that did last for a 24h can only be concluded as a lucky release that went perfect by sheer coincidence.

No doubt about that. Doesn't change the problem that this change is both unnecessarily making things harder for a lot of people and disappointing many people who stayed up for the release only to see this at the very last minute.

Merely my thoughts CNR4806, since everyone puts their two cents in just like yourself. No factual background or sources (unsure why would think there is a source to be had - just based that on people get fed up). Everyone speculates/assumes/etc. There are also many opinions based on personal circumstance and a lot of the time that is all we have.

Don't get me wrong, I am creature habit and little ocd at times so this was very disappointing. But ultimately? Nothing will change today unless TJ decides it so all we can do is wait and see how events unfold and for myself try and spin a positive element or thought on it (if it does not help others it at least helps me wink.gif)

1 p.m? Sweet! Ahhh, not having to get up at midnight anymore or stay up till midnight! I can't complain.

Unless I announce differently, everything related to DC remains on EST.

It's actually kind of nice being able to do things at 9 pm and not being forced to stay up late, although midnight was certainly less likely to interfere with other plans.

TJ posted this in help a few days ago

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...0entry8155709

ok how do I do the quote thing

Edited by InugamiZERO

That would really be a great improvment. Especially for People like me, who have no clue what my lokal time means in DC time.  biggrin.gif

You can always check the clock on AoND. It has the current DC time displayed in the top right corner.

You can always check the clock on AoND. It has the current DC time displayed in the top right corner.

Yeah, I just Forget that all the time. Or get confused nontheless. unsure.gif

Normally I think this would be great I'm never able to stay up for the midnight release, but today is the only day I'm not going to be home. It's my sisters birthday today and I'm going over to my mom's for her party, so I'll be out of the house all day. Probably won't be home till later tonight, blah. Oh well. Maybe I'll take my laptop with me and sneak on to DC. I think starting the release earlier would be better, like 10am or even noon. 1pm seems a little late. But I guess we will see how it goes.

Edited by annageckos

Hm, I see your point, there.

But I think (although I confess it's more like guessing) that the knowledge of a guaranteed 24 hour pure drop would remove enough competition on "day 1", because many people are only that anxious to grab eggs in the first few hours because they dread to come up empty handed later.

Depends, of course, on how many people really value the date... But I wouldn't expect it to be so many that it couldn't be balanced by the other thing.

Edit to add: And technically, all eggs with a date from both "release days" should still be more valuable than eggs picked up sometime later, if you differ by "came with the release" and "spawned in the cave later". So I'd expect the "real" collectors wanting an egg from each day of the release... wink.gif

First of all, I'd suggest avoiding the usage of "real"--even in quotes--in terms of discussing what people collect. Each person has different value they place on different things. It's rather rude to suggest certain people are "real" collectors, even in jest.

For myself, I very much prefer to have at least one mature pair (male/female where possible) with the bred/stolen on date matching the very first day the dragons became available if it's at all possible.

I dunno how many people would be happy to wait a little to try and see if the masses die down if they KNEW it was going to be a 24 hour release period--but I'd imagine that would need to be announced on the cave itself rather than purely through the forums, otherwise people who've come to have certain expectations about the releases without coming to the forums (which would be basically the majority of the player base provided they can string together a pattern to predict when the releases typically are) will likely operate on the idea of "must grab now, will not be here for long" since they'd have no way of knowing otherwise.

That said, I still prefer the midnight releases, and would really prefer midnight releases combined with a 24 hour drop period. That would allow for the greatest possible chance to have a "Day 1" egg, while not screwing anybody out of a chance to get eggs because they were online after the initial release.

Wait, so this means we only have 11 hours now to grab an egg on the release date?

Yep, that's what it sounds like. They might drop for 24 hours, I dunno, but they still won't be dated with the initial release date.

Which, honestly, is one of the biggest reasons I'm pissed.

On another game I play there are 'reboots' approx. every 4 days, but the exact times are randomized. That way, everyone gets reboot at a more or less convenient time sometimes. You can see the next 8 reboot times listed, so you can plan ahead as much or as little as your schedule allows, but even if you have a very busy off-line life, and no matter what timezone you are in, you're likely to get some good ones. Seems like a fair thing to do for any game that has members in so many different time zones, and with many individual habits & schedules.

That's a very interesting idea! I like it and hope it gets some notice! smile.gif

The true question is, why do we care so much. We'll be able to get pixelated mythical beasts anyway, do a few hours really make such a difference?

Then again, this might just be me and my growing disinterest in the game.

The true question is, why do we care so much. We'll be able to get pixelated mythical beasts anyway, do a few hours really make such a difference?

Then again, this might just be me and my growing disinterest in the game.

If you don't grab them at release, depending on the rarity and how long the pure drops last, you may be hunting for months to get a CB.

That, and it's less hours to get a Day 1 dated egg--which actually holds value to some of us.

Plus, it'll be much harder to get eggs fighting against the usual crowd who'll be on at that time.

Not to mention they're screwed if they were planning on waiting to avoid the rush--they'll be caught up in the rush of people trying to get the new eggs, nobody'll be locked already and out of hte competition.

Hrmmm. While this change doesn't necessarily impact poorly upon my schedule, I can certainly sympathise with others in different timezones or with kids/plans/whatever. I'm willing to bet that I have more experience with playing DC on different timezones than anyone else here, since I spent 10 months travelling from South-West Wales to New South Wales almost entirely overland, and I have a pretty decent appreciation of how different timezones impact things like new releases. So yeah, I have all the sympathy for people in more easterly timezones for whom this lands either very late on Sunday or in the wee small hours of Monday.

Luckily, it's never been my habit to be online for the exact start of a new release unless it's a Holiday, and I certainly wasn't going to be setting my alarm for 4:45am after the big supper and lots of wine I had last night! But if I had set my alarm, I'd have been pretty pissed (in both senses of the word, heh) to see this notice when I got up. I think what gets me about the whole thing is how much this feels like a snap decision with very little forethought or consideration. If it wasn't a snap decision and there was no effort at all to post a notice sooner, then that's even worse imo. This isn't the first time such a decision has been made with virtually no notice, either. I can perfectly understand why people are angry and ticking them off as "whining" in this case is unproductive. They're mostly just asking for a little consideration - I don't think that's unreasonable of them, frankly.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Not a fan of the idea, I'm in Europe, midnight (EST) release worked like magic, I could get the new eggs without too much trouble and be out of the way of the US people when they awoke.

With all the competition that is bound to be there at 1 PM I doubt I'll see any.

Not liking this idea so much. Sorry. The midnight releases worked great, now I have to wait til the whole fam is up and about and we'll be doing things. I'm really hoping these eggs don't turn out rare, that they'll be easy to snag and all that.

I didn't think it was broken, so don't feel like it needed fixing.

I remember that saying coming up a lot a few years ago in regard to another issue and it was pretty clear that wasn't the philosophy of the site. And I see why, because even though the saying has general merit, the fact is that businesses change things all the time that aren't necessarily "broken" because they feel that it will improve performance, draw new customers, etc. There've been a ton of things here that weren't broken but were changed in ways that people have loved.

Which isn't to say that this change will work out or be loved, just that, as an overall guiding principle, only making changes where there are glaring problems can be constraining for a business - and I say this as someone who has frequently complained about various changes. lol

That would really be a great improvment. Especially for People like me, who have no clue what my lokal time means in DC time.  biggrin.gif

Yeah, while I understand why we don't have a clock that tells the exact cave time, I think that having so many things on a schedule (releases, contests, holiday events, etc.) an hourly clock is getting kind of necessary.

so maybe the new eggs will have a longer drop time??? seeing as there now being dropped at a busy time od DC.

me I don't mind at all that much I got the new eggs when they were dropped at midnight just got them at a normal time the next day so I guess all that really matters is that we get a new eggs & not at which time the new eggs drop

If there to hard to get I have friends who can help me as well good luck all smile.gif

Not a fan of the idea, I'm in Europe, midnight (EST) release worked like magic, I could get the new eggs without too much trouble and be out of the way of the US people when they awoke.

With all the competition that is bound to be there at 1 PM I doubt I'll see any.

I know the feeling (I'm on GTM +2).

While the beginning of the release is at relatively good time for me, the rush when all the US people are online at the same time, I highly doubt to catch any new egg.

And since it's Monday, I have to do the exercises for the Tuesdays lectures. Most of the release will pass on me while I am asleep and at University on Tuesday.

And since there's no confirmation on how long the release will last, I doubt even more on my chances of actually catching anything.

So yeah, rreeeaaally looking forward seeing what kind of mess there will be tomorrow.

I know the feeling (I'm on GTM +2).

While the beginning of the release is at relatively good time for me, the rush when all the US people are online at the same time, I highly doubt to catch any new egg.

And since it's Monday, I have to do the exercises for the Tuesdays lectures. Most of the release will pass on me while I am asleep and at University on Tuesday.

And since there's no confirmation on how long the release will last, I doubt even more on my chances of actually catching anything.

So yeah, rreeeaaally looking forward seeing what kind of mess there will be tomorrow.

Actually, I believe the drop will be in just under 5 hours from now; ~8pm for you?