TJ09

2014-04-05 - Monthly Release Notice

I'm in Europe... the release will be at 7 pm for me, and I can't stay up late since I have work tomorrow. So my only hope is that the eggs will be easy to catch... except this is the USA/Canada rush hour *facepalm*

Not to mention I'm awake at 7am on Sunday for nothing.

This.

In any case, release time is not good for me. When the release was at midnight (6:00 am in Spain, where I live) I had to get up early. Now, the release will be at 20:00, when I am preparing to dinner and go to bed. The point is that this notice could have been done one day before, with enough time to schedule it right. I got up for nothing. And I will be only able to make it at 1 hourly drop. Terrific change.

Anyway, I will try to catch them. I only hope that there is no rare egg between the release. Or this will be war...

Edited by Khram

I really dislike this new time...

It'll be impossible to get any eggs with that many people around...

Ugh....

Well, it does make it harder, yet at the same time helps me out since I don't have much egg room at the moment. Congratz to whoever caught that CB Silver in the alpine a few minutes ago.

Even if I don't snag a new dragon, it'd be worth it to snatch a CB trio or metallic. I'm still trying to hunt for a CB GW, Silver, Gold, Copper, Blusang, Thunder and Ice, so catching any of those will make my night worth it. ^^

Soooo basically it'll be a million times harder since everyone will be awake...Q~Q

Yeah, not a fan of this....

I'm trying to see all sides of the argument here, regardless of my own opinion.

For some, 1PM EST works quite well. Others (per say other's in the USA), 1PM EST usually just means a range of, say, 10AM - 2PM instead (or something like that).

But for people across the world, this 1PM EST can cut into the AM hours of Monday, which really isn't okay.

Yes. Sunday is a "family day" for a lot of people, and if you know me you know how important family is to me, but compared to that cutting into a school day or work day, that's worse in my opinion. Being tired for family probably just means they see you grumpy. Tired for school or work can result in teachers being ticked or you screwing up on a project at work. Both which are (usually) worse then a little family bickering of 'why are you on the computer.'

In essence. It isn't that 1PM itself is an OMFGWHY bad time, but it's the part where it's on a Sunday, and for some that translates into Monday.

Sure. It might be inconvenient. But I understand giving a country besides the US a chance (dont take that negatively please i mean that in a wonderful way not snooty i swear to everything). But having a 1PM release on Saturday would have been better (imo) and more fair. No school days would have been cut into (except maybe sunday school), work.... well. Probably not? (sorry third shifters). And 1PM on Saturday? Even though I love sleeping in, I can get up for that.

Ahem.

I do stand by the 'more forewarning please' though. Granted I stay up anyways to talk with the third shifter GF, for those that don't have a reason or this lands at 4AM, it wasn't fair to them. I still love you TJ, just an earlier poke woulda been awesome ;3

TL;DR

1PM release on Saturday would result in drops occurring Sat / Sun for everyone. Sun =/= work day or school day usually, therefore more 'fair.'

1PM release on Sunday results in drops occurring Sun / Mon for everyone. Mon = work day and / or school day. Therefore more restricting.

Majority of complaints it seems.

More notice would also be nice but understandable if RL attacked : >

EDIT: oh yeah, let's not forget the site lag that's going to occur if 1PM is when 'peak hours' are... ahehe...

Edited by Wandering4Ever

Ahh, it will be a million times harder here. I'm in Australia... I guess I can wait for a few hours after the first wave of eggs.

So, instead of starting at 7 AM on Sunday and lasting the entire day, the drop would start 8 PM? At a time when I most likely would be busy and/or might not reasonably stay up very late in case I have to be anywhere on Monday? Not fond of the change at all.

I'd like to point out that doing that way, the even distribution is messed up.

At midnight, everyone in other countries that have difficult time zones could get their fill, the midnight crew could as well, and no one had to suffer due to super high traffic.

The day roles around and everyone on during the run of the day will have their turn, so eggs are grabbed evenly, there's an even chance for everyone the midnight way.W

With it starting at 1 pm, EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG will be awake and people in other countries will miss out on mass drops, especially since mass drops are one day only and ends at midnight the next day, and to me, that's just not fair.

I'm not a fan of this and I'm very angry about it.

But also he is trying out something new, so if this doesn't work it will be changed back.

right?

But also he is trying out something new, so if this doesn't work it will be changed back.

right?

New isn't always better, technology proves that by a long shot. xd.png

*grumbles* This is really such a bad idea. Releasing when a good portion of users are asleep means spreading out the release, people who are actually awake get theirs, then people in other timezones wake up and can get theirs...

New releases when the majority of users *are* online means mega-lag, mega-stress, hundreds upon hundreds *more* users fighting over every single egg....

Whyyyyyy is this a good idea?

I love that when TJ messes up once in giving prior notice he becomes rude. He has been one of the best admins I have ever seen trying his best to give prior notice and fixing what goes wrong as soon as possible. Just because he messed up once doesnt mean he is rude, it means you should realize he's a human and he makes mistakes. Calling him rude will only make him bitter sweet towards this community and less likely to give it his all next time.

Also TJ recently moved to the west coast. He was originally on the east coast same time as dc.

One does not have to be a bad person to make a rude gesture, and making a rude gesture does not necessarily means someone is not good in nature.

It still doesn't change the fact that this is a rude gesture though.

Well, there goes my chances of getting any eggs of the new release, on the first day at least. It'll be late Sunday evening for me, and since i'm getting up at 3.30 am monday 'morning' to go to work, it's a no go for me. And if it's a rare release, I'm basically chanceless of getting any for the first long long while.

Honest feedback - even if I'm apparently not part of the 'main' audience: It's a terrible idea and if you're going to do this, at least do it on a saturday instead then to keep it just marginally fair to the users in the rest of the world.

With it starting at 1 pm, EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG will be awake and people in other countries will miss out on mass drops, especially since mass drops are one day only and ends at midnight the next day, and to me, that's just not fair.

Except it doesn't even last that long.

A typical new release starts having mixed drops in less than 6 hours into it, and starting the release in a presumably more active timeslot is going to kickstart the mixed drop.

Edited by CNR4806

Well, after being disappointed the first moment after reading the notice it might be actually better for me although I do not think I belong to the main audience.

The drop will be at 3am on Monday morning here, not at 2pm on Sunday afternoon like before. As I do not go hunting when the eggs start dropping - tried it once and decided to do it never again -, usually a few hours later, I could catch them right after waking up.

I'm not a person who has to have the new eggs on her scroll immediately anyway, so yeah.

Edited by Mondat

I as well don't think this is such a good idea.

It will be 7pm here in Germany and even though I'll be at home and online then, I was looking forward to a whole day of hunting and yelling at the cave. xd.png

Then again, it will be my first time in actually being online when the release starts, so that's gonna be a new experience to me laugh.gif

I would have appreciated an earlier heads up about this. So I got up early on a Sunday morning (I'm in Europe) for nothing. Yes, I know, it was my choice and it's not TJs fault that I wanted to be around for the start of the release. wink.gif

The new time will be in the evening for me - I guess I'll be able to get online but I am a bit concerned about possible lag like so many other players. Wait and see.

Edited by counselor

A typical new release starts having mixed drops in less than 6 hours into it, and starting the release in a presumably more active timeslot is going to kickstart the mixed drop.

Then that pretty much backs up the idea that this is a bad idea...

For common eggs, there should be alternating hours throughout the day for mixed-drops and strict-drops.

Opening release is one hour strict-drop. Second hour is mixed. Third hour is strict. Fourth is mixed. So on and so forth.

Everyone gets a chance and for rarer eggs it can be every two hours.

One hour strict. Two hours mixed. One hour strict.

Edited by noxlyx

This is fantastic, you know? It was hard enough to get eggs as it was. I hope these eggs are extremely common cause then they will be easier to catch later or during the actual release.

Trying to catch eggs at night is bad enough. Yikes, I'll pass on this.

This only benefits a few people in the long run. As was pointed out, Sunday is Family day, and I don't think that most of the people's family will be impressed that their child/parent/spouse etc spends the afternoon on the computer rather than with them.

I'm guessing that one or two of the "favourites" of TJ complained, and that's why everything is changing. Much like how some complained that new releases are so easy for them and boring, and that's why other eggs are mixing in so quickly, no matter the rarity.

Also, there are how many players from other countries, not just the USA, for who this change makes it almost impossible to catch anything. 1PM EST translates to 7PM in South Africa, which is the time that I have to get ready for another day at work. Why mess with something that works. We across the world cannot stay up for goodness how many hours and compete against 1000 other users for eggs when we have work/ school less than 10 hours away when this drop starts.

Bad idea right there. And why waste everyone's time by not giving this notice yesterday? This is not a spur of the moment idea. Someone likes playing God I see.

hm, i agree with the most here, it will be stressful and laggy, quite sure.

sunday is my work-day, so i will miss this start of the release. maybe better ^^

So, the specific time is not important to me, I'll adapt. Midnight suited me beautifully, as that was between 4-6pm Sunday for me (depending on who had Daylight Savings at the time) so I would rarely have anything happening at that time as it is before tea, but mostly after the days activities are over. But 1pm Sunday = 5am Monday, and I cannot afford to be tired at uni (final year vet student with large unpredictable animals/sharp instruments/potent drugs? Yeah, bad idea). So I agree with Wandering4Eva - if it is going to be 1pm, it has to be 1pm SATURDAY because cutting into a school/work day is simply unacceptable.

Also, he does need to give more notice of these things. This is an international site, and people get up specially just to discover it isn't happening. This is not the first time things have been changed last minute, and this is hardly an emergency that it needed to be changed right now. Either it should have been announced at least 12 hours earlier to catch people who head off to bed before a drop in theh wee hours, or it should have continued as per usual, and changed for the next drop, with proper warning.

All in all though I am not really complaining. A bit irked, and it definitely will need tweaking if it becomes a regular time, but otherwise whatever, there is not going to be a perfect time for everyone.

So, maybe the idea is not bad at all. But maybe the release must be done longer and start mixing 14-16 hours after and not 3-5 hours as it is right now. I don't know if this makes a lot of work or it will mess a lot of things, but could be a solution.

Maybe TJ has also thought this way and has managed to make something like this.

In any case, we will have to wait and see how it goes. It changes my whole day schedule, but will be trying, now I know that I could help friends...