TJ09

2014-04-05 - Monthly Release Notice

People have been asking for varied release times so that more people have a chance at first-drop eggs longer than I've been on the site. Now that TJ's being nice and doing it, people are upset? Guess it's true what they say--can't please everybody.

It's hardly nice to announce it, what, two hours before it would normally be scheduled? The time shift is one thing, it's the utter lack of notice that's the biggest problem.

e: And yes, the dread lagmonster may just rear its ugly head...

Edited by Guillotine

If the point is to give people a greater chance to grab eggs, wouldn't it be best to have a steady, say, 15-hour drop, starting at midnight? I don't think everyone feels the need to grab them right away, especially since it's really crowded at the beginning. I'm in the PST zone, so having the drop at 9 PM at night is fine for me - as well as a couple hours later, when it's a little less hectic, and I'm up late anyway for the weekend.

And again, no scheduled drop time can make every user happy. Not the ones that can't be here at midnight, not the ones that can't be here in the middle of the night.

Let him try a few things out?

Maybe he'll find the BEST time for the MOST users. (Not for everyone, tho. Can't carter to everyone's wishes, no matter how hard one tries)

So wait...

The drop time is moving to the middle of the day when MORE people are on, even when the site tends to crash at night when there are new releases? Not to mention the lag time. Sure... that's going to make things so much easier to get eggs.

Thank you, thank you. My point exactly.

THe lag is going to be absolutely terrible... Another one of the reasons.

People don't need this... There are far more people that have set themselves to stay up to midnight(or whatever time) then people who enjoy the idea of catching it right away and having everyone else missing a release.

I've always loved the midnight release....because I am awake at that time, but 1pm I'm usually asleep. Oh well, I'm sure I'll still get my hands on the new eggies.

So... people are going to be too busy at school or at work to actually be online during the release, maybe... (wait, it's a Sunday. lololo) :S Anyways, I preferred 12am EST... but I don't care too much about being the first person to get a new release egg.

Edited by kiyoura

I think we should have been given more than 2 H 59 M notice of this. Pretty much sucks.

Just wanted to add that TJ is trying out if the new time is better for more people...

On the other hand... anyone ever thought about TJ having to stay up well into the night to observe the release?

And that the new time might fit better into his RL planning?

TJ is on the west coast so a midnight release is at 9pm for him. I don't see that as having him up all night. Seems like a pretty early night actually.

So wait...

The drop time is moving to the middle of the day when MORE people are on, even when the site tends to crash at night when there are new releases? Not to mention the lag time. Sure... that's going to make things so much easier to get eggs.

This. *lol*

I hope it'll be so bad that we change it back to midnight... sleep.gif;

Which is actually 6 AM where I live.

I already got my eggs even when it was a bit hard for my old computer and internet speed. Whenever I missed the release and tried to catch them later that day (for example around 1 PM EST), it was a total failure.

How much does this have to do with TJ now living on West Coast instead of

East Coast? Just what we all needed, more stress.

On the other hand... anyone ever thought about TJ having to stay up well into the night to observe the release?

If I'm not mistaken midnight dc time is 9pm TJ time, so not 'late' for him since his move.

A lot of people also have some sort of mistaken idea that midnight DC time favors everyone in the US, when actually it only favors some people in the US. Many of us on the east coast lose several hours sleep over the midnight drops and it is mildly inconvenient for us in the same way that having to get up at 5am somewhere else in the world is inconvenient for others. (Midnight is still more convenient than the middle of a work day though)

I believe it was been stated during the hurricane Sandy delayed drop that the majority of the player base is in the US, so I would think that TJ would try to find a time that is not wildly inconvenient for many of them. It will probably take some playing around to figure out an optimal time, but I don't think 1 pm on a Sunday afternoon is going to be it.

Ugh really? Go through and poll the responses and see how people like it. I, like most others, prefer the usual midnight drops. I work tomorrow! sad.gif

While I also prefer the midnight drops, I don't think that the current responses are necessarily indicative of how most players will feel about the change. The fact is that most people who are posting right now are those of us who are here for the drop - meaning that drops at this time worked for us. So, of course, many of these replies will be unhappy with the change because our very presence here generally means that this was a time frame that we were able to clear to accommodate DC happenings.

It stands to reason that tomorrow, as players who couldn't log on until then see that they're in time for the beginning of the new release, we'll see more positive responses to the change.

Again, I'm one who actually loves the midnight releases and, who knows, maybe they are more popular overall (I kind of hope that turns out to be the case). I just don't think we can say that "most others" prefer it until the larger block of those who play in the EST daytime period log on and add their responses.

TJ is on the west coast so a midnight release is at 9pm for him. I don't see that as having him up all night. Seems like a pretty early night actually.

I though DC time was TJ's time? DC midnight (eastern?) is my 11pm.

Eh, don't mind me. I've never been good at this. tongue.gif

I'm actually fond of either time, really. I generally just wait for people calm down before grabbing an egg or two, anyway.

This new time puts it at 4am for me. I won't be getting up early for the drop. The change of time should not be a big issue as long as we continue to get the 24 hour drops.

So now instead of coming when I'm awake and have free time the release is going to happen in the middle of the day with huge amounts of traffic that lag the site, make it impossible for me to catch anything, and happen at an hour that I might be asleep (and others with more normal schedules will be at work)? This is a HORRIBLE idea. How am I supposed to catch this stupid thing?

While I also prefer the midnight drops, I don't think that the current responses are necessarily indicative of how most players will feel about the change. The fact is that most people who are posting right now are those of us who are here for the drop - meaning that drops at this time worked for us. So, of course, many of these replies will be unhappy with the change because our very presence here generally means that this was a time frame that we were able to clear to accommodate DC happenings.

It stands to reason that tomorrow, as players who couldn't log on until then see that they're in time for the beginning of the new release, we'll see more positive responses to the change.

Again, I'm one who actually loves the midnight releases and, who knows, maybe they are more popular overall (I kind of hope that turns out to be the case). I just don't think we can say that "most others" prefer it until the larger block of those who play in the EST daytime period log on and add their responses.

This is a great point I didn't think of. I can't wait to come on tomorrow and see the reactions now. Finally might see something positive for once.

Not too thrilled about the time change... but we'll see, I guess. Saturday night/early Sunday morning is doable, but Sunday afternoon, not so much. Especially because (if I'm feeling well enough) I have a memorial service to attend around then. Sunday afternoon is kind of a traditional "family time" for many people.

Midnight was great because for the entire US, that's not an especially difficult hour to stay up... it's only 9 pm in California. For people over in Europe, it's about 5-6 am, yes, but that means that if they get up and log into DC, they can still catch something during the first few hours before other eggs start mixing back in, and for everybody east of them, it IS daytime.

I'm sure TJ has better stats on when most people show up on DC than we do, so maybe this will be better for a lot of people, but I have a hard time believing that, and I know it won't work all that well for me. :-/ Maybe I can catch something this time tomorrow night. :-/

It's the lack of notice that bothers me the most, along with the mentioned lag issues. Midnight is bad enough, 1pm it has the potential to be site-breaking. The lag at least needs to be observed first, but it's just plain rude not to give prior warning that's at least two-three days in advance.

Darn! I stayed up late to try to catch them early. Oh well, I will have to remember to come back in a few hours.

For the record, I like the midnight releases.

Why can't TJ change the drop to SAT midday for him? So it would be SAT and SUN for everyone.

Eh... To be honest I can't say I'm all that thrilled with this decision, given that I'm not usually awake around that time (I'm a night owl, lol), but if it does in fact end up helping more people to get their eggs then I'm all for it I guess. And it's not like the eggs are limited editions or anything (I hope, lol) so there'll be plenty of other opportunities for me to catch some later on. I'll just miss being able to snatch them up early and not have to fight the crowds. tongue.gif

Funny how nothing about this thread is a surprise: 1) the hilarious fact that every single time I've been able to participate in the early drop, the time has been rescheduled LOL and 2) the complaints. Gosh this community really is hard to please! :P

I can't make the rescheduled time (it's like... 4am?) but whatevs, I'm totally cool with TJ playing around to find a better alternative. I guess this is in part due to the fact I've resigned to the idea that the time will most likely never work for me anyway. :P

Tbh, all the surrounding drama does make me wonder whether it would be simpler to just implement 24 hour drops. ouo

[...] but it's just plain rude not to give prior warning that's at least two-three days in advance.

This. This so much.

No matter the intention, the population that did show up for the now non-existent midnight release cannot help but to feel being cheated, and on top of that it is way too late for anyone to rearrange their schedules for the new release time, which is merely 13 hours away.

Edited by CNR4806

Well, according to some online calculators I've found, the 1 PM EST is now. Soo?

edit: Ahh, that terrible AM and PM thing. dry.gif So twelve more hours to go, I guess.

Edited by viky k