TJ09

2014-04-05 - Monthly Release Notice

So now instead of coming when I'm awake and have free time the release is going to happen in the middle of the day with huge amounts of traffic that lag the site, make it impossible for me to catch anything, and happen at an hour that I might be asleep (and others with more normal schedules will be at work)? This is a HORRIBLE idea. How am I supposed to catch this stupid thing?

This ^^^

The last few releases we have had we've also had so much lag the site goes down, and this is at midnight when not a lot of people are online.

Make it 1pm, when we get normal site lag and add on the new release lag = server will break longer and harder is what I'm expecting to see.

Also the lack of notice about this is another thing. Many people have expressed that this is late at night for them... so they stayed up for no reason. Or on Sunday at 1pm they will be at work... or 1pm on Sunday will be 4am their time

I think this time change will be an extremely bad move.

It was already hard enough to catch new release dragons with the lower population at midnight, now with it being done at a prime time it'll be impossible.

Please at least let the drop last for 24 hours... so those of us who can usually only catch things at lower lag times like midnight can catch them at midnight tomorrow.

was coming to see where they were dropping LOL

I like the midnight myself. It is something worth staying up for (it's 11pm my time)

please do let us know the results of your experiment tongue.gif

now I am off to bed, hopefully will remember to return at noon to grab some xd.png

Well, according to some online calculators I've found, the 1 PM EST is now. Soo?

it's 1AM right now. The drop would be in another 12 hours.

Funny how nothing about this thread is a surprise: 1) the hilarious fact that every single time I've been able to participate in the early drop, the time has been rescheduled LOL and 2) the complaints. Gosh this community really is hard to please! tongue.gif

I can't make the rescheduled time (it's like... 4am?) but whatevs, I'm totally cool with TJ playing around to find a better alternative. I guess this is in part due to the fact I've resigned to the idea that the time will most likely never work for me anyway. tongue.gif

Refer to my last post as to why the reaction is that overwhelmingly bad.

Tbh, all the surrounding drama does make me wonder whether it would be simpler to just implement 24 hour drops. ouo

This has been suggested numerous times in S/R, and more than once in the release suggestion thread.

Well, according to some online calculators I've found, the 1 PM EST is now. Soo?

Those things are too complicated for me. :'D

I use the AoND clock and it says it's 1 am. :P

Edit: @ above: Oh yeah, I kind of forgot that it shows up a bit during actual releases... XD Wish it could be more than just a suggestion, though!

Edited by Varekis

Well, if this is done like last release, I don't mind that much, even though I live in the Netherlands and 1pm EST would mean 7pm here. So, with tomorrow you DO mean Sunday April 6th, right? Cause this thread started April 5th?

Last time we had a very good drop where we could only get the new eggs and nothing but the new eggs for.....at lest two days I think? Am I correct in that? If today's release is like, I don't mind the drop a few hours later.

This. This so much.

No matter the intention, the population that did show up for the now non-existent midnight release cannot help but to feel being cheated, and on top of that it is way too late for anyone to rearrange their schedules for the new release time, which is merely 13 hours away.

I love that when TJ messes up once in giving prior notice he becomes rude. He has been one of the best admins I have ever seen trying his best to give prior notice and fixing what goes wrong as soon as possible. Just because he messed up once doesnt mean he is rude, it means you should realize he's a human and he makes mistakes. Calling him rude will only make him bitter sweet towards this community and less likely to give it his all next time.

Also TJ recently moved to the west coast. He was originally on the east coast same time as dc.

Yeah, I see now. It is a bit funny reading people complaining about noon and midnight drops. For us outside the USA ithey were never in such a convenient hours. biggrin.gif The change is not nice to me, the drop will start at 19:00 of my time zone and I have to go to bed at 20:00 or so and I am a terrible catcher, so probably no new eggs for me this time. sad.gif Maybe tomorrow in my time.

I try to just go with the flow, but since you are trying something new, I assume you want honest feedback. So as a mom with small kids and family obligations,  this time (mid day) is actually very hard for me. At midnight, my time is my own, but at 1pm, I belong to the kids lol. If you are taking a poll I vote for midnight...

Me too. But I like to see how it works in reality. Surely, I would report it if this surprising relase turn out to be an great drama. rolleyes.gif

Not thrilled about the change since I probably won't be able to get onto a computer until at least 10 hours after the initial drop. And I'm on EST! But oh well, I guess it'll help some people. I just hope there'll still be eggs for me!

Just why did I wake up at 7.00 in the morning for this Dx (thats the DC midnight for me)... now I have to calculate hours again... I liked midnight even if it was so early :/

My main issue with the change is that for me this means 3am MONDAY morning.

3am Sunday morning I could deal with because being the weekend I have no work commitments... but when I need to have a good night's sleep before work on Monday a 3am drop doesn't really work for me.

If it stays this new way, so be it, but it makes it difficult for those in the Asia/Oceania/Australia area who are up to 11 hours ahead of GMT (about 15 hours ahead of cave time)

Edited by aphroditesky

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan. The new drop time isn't terribly inconvenient for me but I do worry that releasing a new breed at a time when the site is more active might be a bad idea, especially for those with a poor connection.

I'm in Europe... the release will be at 7 pm for me, and I can't stay up late since I have work tomorrow. So my only hope is that the eggs will be easy to catch... except this is the USA/Canada rush hour *facepalm*

Not to mention I'm awake at 7am on Sunday for nothing.

Hoping that they had planned for the extra lag putting the release in the middle of the day will cause.

Also hoping that either:

a - More eggs will drop in each drop

b - Drop will last for 24 hrs before other eggs are mixed in

c - Both a and b

that means 4:30am Monday for me (great)

NO 3:30am Monday for me forgot last night Daylight Saving Changed

Edited by InugamiZERO

I love that when TJ messes up once in giving prior notice he becomes rude. He has been one of the best admins I have ever seen trying his best to give prior notice and fixing what goes wrong as soon as possible. Just because he messed up once doesnt mean he is rude, it means you should realize he's a human and he makes mistakes. Calling him rude will only make him bitter sweet towards this community and less likely to give it his all next time.

Also TJ recently moved to the west coast. He was originally on the east coast same time as dc.

Actually, there has been some cases when information from TJ would've been nice but none was given. Example: Everyone trying to figure out if there would be a January (or was it November?) drop this year because of how close all of the holiday drops were. This resulted in a lot of expectations and empty scrolls only to find out there was no drop.

I'm not saying that he's a bad admin - everyone makes mistakes and I think TJ is pretty awesome. But when people with power/the one in charge messes up, there will be backlash from the community regardless of how nice or good that person is. That's the price to pay of being in charge of something.

And you have to admit, two hours worth of prior notice is something to be upset about especially people who set alarms to get up for this or people who have stayed up late for this, especially for something as big as a monthly release.

My main issue with the change is that for me this means 3am MONDAY morning.

3am Sunday morning I could deal with because being the weekend I have no work commitments... but when I need to have a good night's sleep before work on Monday a 3am drop doesn't really work for me.

I agree with this - we must live in the same timezone xd.png I'll have to wake up 3am as well - meaning if I'll be really tired during the school day... (I probably won't do it - there was a time when I was so addicted to DC that I would have woken up early but now I have no motivation).

3am/1PM EST Sunday or Saturday would be better for me as my weekends are generally less busy than weekdays.

Ooooh I like this (seems to be an unpopular opinion - ah well). The past drops have proven to be easier to catch so if that trend continues, I don't really see why people are complaining so much xd.png For me this time is actually a decent time, I don't have to try catching on awful work computers, but can actually try it on my home computer for once!

It's good to find a generally acceptable time but actually , will this matter so much?

I see no reason for MUST participating in every drops. And if there's a 24 hours drop, completely no reason for showing up at the moment it begins.

But I stand on the announcement should be earlier, at least one day earlier, instead of disappointing those who stay up late waiting for new release then feel being cheated.

If the goal is a time that works best for the most people, why don't we just have a poll?

Edited by Tecca

I'm in Singapore, so normally drops are at Sunday 1pm, which is rather ideal for me. With this drop, it'll be at, if I'm not wrong, Monday 2am, which is really not ideal.

But then again, I'm in the minority.