Sheriziya

ANSWERED:Release a Coal Version of the prize dragon?

Thanks for responding!

Lol, how about, to quote my post: 'Other people seem to be thinking, as do I: fun thing, nice sprite, why not...'

angelicdragonpuppy: 'Again, doesn't hurt anyone, would be a nice new thing to collect, would make some happy, so why not?'

Somewhere back there, I have a post asking at the end, why not just make it a participation dragon for everyone participating, after which there was someone getting jumped on for saying that no-one could say it was unfair if everyone had one, with others saying that people who'd won already had a much more special dragon and people should get only one each, so different people have had different viewpoints on this thread.

These are still basically "I don't mind" and as you and many others have worded it, "sure why not".

I still don't see an actual PURPOSE of the suggestion other than being a pacifier. If you want a nice sprite you can just go for a regular release instead of tying it up with the raffle, especially considering there are some who prefer having a completely-different breed (ie. non-prize) as the so-called consolation prize.

But people getting an 'attendance dragon' at an annual Event isn't 'retribution' against anyone, just something nice to celebrate the Event, and I think the consensus among supporters leans more toward everyone participating getting one.

where is the idea that the prize winners can't have the coal dragon coming from?  If the coal is meant to be a participation award then everyone who participates gets it.

*edit:  if you participate you get the coal dragon.  if you don't participate you get nothing.  of those who participate, grand prize winners are drawn for the big prizes and HM.  all very logical. I see no revenge in how that plays out.

Scroll a few pages back (page 10 on default settings) and you'll see where this is coming from.

Edited by CNR4806

These are still basically "I don't mind" and as you and many others have worded it, "sure why not".

I still don't see an actual PURPOSE of the suggestion other than being a pacifier. If you want a nice sprite you can just go for a regular release instead of tying it up with the raffle, especially considering there are some who prefer having a completely-different breed (ie. non-prize) as the so-called consolation prize.

I am someone who's not overly desperate for it, but:

1) Gives people something to do other than drool over winners / try to get on prize lists that week. That announcement is the only one that marks a dragon "release" for a select group of players rather than for everyone. Having that announcement also mark the delivery of cute new dragons to everyone's scroll would make it more interesting for the 99% of players who lose.

2) Shimmers are nice sprites, and black is a nice color. While you're right that any old release would suffice, I'd still love to have a black shimmer, and unlike normal dragons that can be released whenever this'd really be the only appropriate opportunity for such a shimmer gig. Will everyone like black shimmers more than some of the other things? No, but the same can be said when comparing any two dragons to each other.

3) Might create a nice bit of community spirit. Other than the actual prizes (which as has been said in many threads, are hella hard to get babies from), there's almost nothing that players have to cooperate with other players to get. Sure, there's Holidays, but you can almost always catch them in the AP during their seasons, they only can be worked with for one week anyway, and everyone who's around at the time can pick up two CBs to at least have a base to start with. Even if black shimmers were given out every year, having only one per person per year and letting them breed all year round would create a strong incentive for people to work together to create lineages with them. Would add a bit of cooperative spirit at a time when there's a lot of grumbling about inequality among the player base.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I am someone who's not overly desperate for it, but:

1) Gives people something to do other than drool over winners / try to get on prize lists that week. That announcement is the only one that marks a dragon "release" for a select group of players rather than for everyone. Having that announcement also mark the delivery of cute new dragons to everyone's scroll would make it more interesting for the 99% of players who lose.

2) Shimmers are nice sprites, and black is a nice color. While you're right that any old release would suffice, I'd still love to have a black shimmer, and unlike normal dragons that can be released whenever this'd really be the only appropriate opportunity for such a shimmer gig. Will everyone like black shimmers more than some of the other things? No, but the same can be said when comparing any two dragons to each other.

3) Might create a nice bit of community spirit. Other than the actual prizes (which as has been said in many threads, are hella hard to get babies from), there's almost nothing that players have to cooperate with other players to get. Sure, there's Holidays, but you can almost always catch them in the AP during their seasons, they only can be worked with for one week anyway, and everyone who's around at the time can pick up two CBs to at least have a base to start with. Even if black shimmers were given out every year, having only one per person per year and letting them breed all year round would create a strong incentive for people to work together to create lineages with them. Would add a bit of cooperative spirit at a time when there's a lot of grumbling about inequality among the player base.

Number 3 makes a darned good point which nobody's yet brought up in this thread.

I'll admit that swapping lineages occurred to me off the hop, lol, but yeah, there would so totally be a thread in Breeding with lots of people involved in building a massive lineage with these, and a lot more interaction community-wise.

*again doffs (imaginary) hat to ADP*

Hi, CNR4806,

why does there have to be a purpose either for a Prize raffle or for a participation dragon related to the Event, other than that people are here to have fun, and that these are fun things?

Also, a participation dragon would be in the same spirit as the Prizes, in that everyone has an equal chance of getting one, (only in this case definitely would, rather than almost certainly definitely not, lol,) and neither depends on people being able to access a fast system, or overcome any handicaps of any sort.

I did go back and look at page 10, and some people did indeed point out that they didn't think Prize winners needed a second dragon, since they were getting a Prize - but a participation dragon would go to everyone participating, I should think.

There were also people arguing against the whole idea, one saying that they didn't think that they should have to dump an unwanted dragon off of their scroll.

People are expressing their viewpoints, and if we can discuss them in a civil fashion, that's exactly what we need to do.

We'll all have different opinions, we just need to try to understand where each is coming from and try to work things out from there.

Pacify- to bring or restore to a state of peace or tranquillity; quiet; calm

So if you want to call it a pacifier, by all means do so, if that means it restores a bit of calm to players that are upset at walking away with nothing. It takes away nothing from the raffle itself.

I for one would rather see it as a participation prize because if you simply make it a drop you will have slower players doubly upset at not winning AND not being able to catch a coal, which sort of defeats the idea entirely IMO.

I was actually one of the few that disagreed with participation dragons being given to prize winners because as I had stated numerous times before, its seemed like too much to give to one person. Everyone that did not win gets only one dragon, but winners (1-3rd and HM) not only get the prize they can pick but the participation prize, that's two dragons for winners. Sure everyone gets one, but then we will have those players that will cry out "Why do they get two?! Shouldn't their Gold/Silver/Bronze X prize be enough?" And a new ordeal of not letting winners get a participation dragon but others saying spread the love, but other saying its unfair, and what not will happen.

All I foresee with this suggestions is a can of worms that will transform into snakes because basically we will also probably still have the problems with prize dragons we have now.

I have said this so many times its starting to loose meaning to me but why do we need to add more to a plate that is currently already full? Why not resolve the bigger problem at hand which is the high demand for prize babies, and the inability for prize winners to provide due to low CB numbers and poor breeding probabilities.

Lets finish one thing before we can consider moving on to another thing because this neither improves raffle mechanics, nor does it improve how often prize babies are bred from prize dragons, nor does it improve how many eggs are actually produced, nor does it resolve if we should even continue having raffles at all. All this suggestion is doing is complicating something that is already complicated and is not even finished being worked on. How can you leave one project half finished and expect to fully work on another one. Finish what you start, THEN move on to smaller, more trivial things.

I do not know if people are simply overlooking mt posts, because I feel like I have stated plenty of times what problems this suggestion would cause. What are they you ask?

-Cave release?/Annual raffle participation/consolation prize?

-Breed all year round?/Breed like holidays?

-Breed at all?

-New colored coal with new prize releases?/Same coal every year?

-Breeding ratios good?/Breeding ratios moderate?/Breeding ratios like rares?

-Give one to all?/Give one to all except placement and HM winners?

-If given to all= Allow them to opt out of receiving one?/Give them no choice?

-If Cave release= Limit of x per scroll?/Allow as may as we want on scroll?

I mean I'm sure there is more, and others can throw in any other questions that would have to be solved for this suggestion to seem concrete rather than "New dragon, I want, lets do it." There has to be a concrete reason and idea towards this. You can't just blurt out "Shiny coal, everyone have, is new and nice, lets do it" No. You need to say "Ok so this and this is my suggestion, it can work like this and this. It will be released like this, and they will breed this way. etc, etc, etc."

But before we even get into making this a concrete idea, what about our current scenario that this idea does absolutely nothing to help? What about what is currently plaguing DC? Current Prizes and how terribly little prize babies they pop out and how high their demand is and how much control these very rare babies have control over the DC trading market. That is our issue here. Black shimmers wont resolve the fact that 1 baby 2nd gen shimmer is worth 4, 5, 6, 7 CB metals eggs and/or hatchlings. Black shimmers wont resolve the fact that I have tried to breed mt tinsel to no avail with a 2nd gen to gift. Black shimmer wont resolve the fact that people have been waiting for years to get a 2nd gen baby from a metallic. Black shimmer wont resolve the fact that there are far too little CB prize dragons to meet the demand for their offspring that are so rare even the prize winners have to cry out in exasperated joy when the miracle happens.

If a black shimmer can resolve all of those big problems at hand that are making DC users pretty much miserable, then I will be on board. Until then I really think People should leave this idea for another time and really band together to solve this for at least the sake of future DC users and Newbies who have no chance in this game as it is now.

Edited by AnanoKimi

So rather than having me or anyone else trying to explain why this is a pacifier AGAIN (yes it has been done), how about YOU telling me what this is supposed to be, if not a pacifier?

Indeed.

restores a bit of calm to players that are upset at walking away with nothing.

If a black shimmer can resolve all of those big problems at hand that are making DC users pretty much miserable, then I will be on board.

Yeeeeah. No, this concept isn't a pacifier for the hurt feelings of some fragile souls that are miserable over an internet game. Not at all.

And that first quote kills me. People get an awesome event, a beautiful new dragon, a cool badge on their scrolls and it's called 'nothing'. Really? Gotta love it. To me, that kind of mindset is what's rude and derogatory, especially to the people that make the events happen here, and to the artists that created the Christmas dragons. Don't win the prize dragon and everything else is just chopped liver. Brilliant. >_<

Edited by MedievalMystic

Indeed.

Yeeeeah. No, this concept isn't a pacifier for the hurt feelings of some fragile souls that are miserable over an internet game. Not at all.

And that first quote kills me. People get an awesome event, a beautiful new dragon, a cool badge on their scrolls and it's called 'nothing'. Really? Gotta love it. To me, that kind of mindset is what's rude and derogatory, especially to the people that make the events happen here, and to the artists that created the Christmas dragons. Don't win the prize dragon and everything else is just chopped liver. Brilliant. >_<

This. We worked really hard on Snow Wars this year. T.J. about drove himself up a wall with the coding and we all had to learn how to draw in an entirely new perspective. We thought that would be our gift to you guys. >:

This.  We worked really hard on Snow Wars this year.  T.J. about drove himself up a wall with the coding and we all had to learn how to draw in an entirely new perspective.  We thought that would be our gift to you guys.  >:

And it definitely was Marionetta smile.gif I don't think there is enough thanks on DC that can show our appreciation. I honestly think it is lack of awareness of the amount of effort that goes into creating the events and perhaps more awareness of this could help?

When I mention this, for most things magically do happen, many may not think about the time it takes to put into the designs, the function, how it will work, how it will work on a large basis and then TJ himself coding! (I have simplified many steps here)

Edited by lilacamy931

This. We worked really hard on Snow Wars this year. T.J. about drove himself up a wall with the coding and we all had to learn how to draw in an entirely new perspective. We thought that would be our gift to you guys. >:

It was indeed, Marri - it was fabulous fun. wub.gif Thanks a BUNCH and more. Killing off my mates was the BEST ninja.gif

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The raffle drama is NOT down to you, and don't you fret about it.

The raffle event was awesome, but the winner announcement is over a month later. At that point there's really nothing left for the other players to do. Sitting there and stroking my snow fort isn't going to make the announcement post more interactive for me.

@Anano: none of the raffle suggestions are going anywhere fast, so if people want to spend some of the waiting time looking at the less beneficial suggestions, why not? If you think only the other things should be focused on right now you don't need to stay here and participate in this one. People get excited about suggestions that wouldn't significantly benefit DC every day, it's no big deal.

As far as your questions go, I imagine they'd be released like and breed like real prizes. If later prizes get such a version is dependent on the spriters. If you participate you get one but you can always trade or dump it.

Marrionetta, I, for one, am very thankful and grateful for all the hard work and effort that I know goes into all of the events on DC..and other games.. and I appreciate it. I've had people explain to me exactly how much work and effort that really is and it's a lot. And you guys don't have to do it. It's not something that we're owed on DC. When I hear careless comments about people walking away with 'nothing', my blood does a slow simmer.

I couldn't participate in the snow wars last year. Due to circumstances I won't get into, my family was unable to access a single dime for over 3 months, and as a result everything got turned off around us. We had no electricity, no hot water, no heat in the middle of winter, no food, no lights, and of course, no internet. I lost 30lbs in those 3 months. No hot water meant no showers for weeks, until our neighbor told us we could take one over there. The only reason we didn't starve is because of my neighbors and my ex husband. It was the worst thing I've ever gone through in my life...and crazily, in the midst of it all, I was totally upset that I was missing the DC event! lol Our neighbors laughed when I asked them if I could PLEASE use their computer to snag those gorgeous Christmas eggs because I'd be crushed if I missed them. One of the things that gave me some comfort throughout this hardship was getting to use my neighbors computer for a half hour or so now and again, with a hot cup of tea or coffee in my hand, in the blessed warmth and just relax awhile in fantasy land.

I'm happy to say that my family's circumstances have changed for the better and we're once again on financial solid ground and all is well and I have DC every day again. lol Thank you, God.

I guess the lesson here is to be grateful for what you've got.

Edited by MedievalMystic

The raffle event was awesome, but the winner announcement is over a month later. At that point there's really nothing left for the other players to do.

ER - hunting and breeding are ALWAYS there to do.....

There were also people arguing against the whole idea, one saying that they didn't think that they should have to dump an unwanted dragon off of their scroll.

Honestly, if a person truly does not want a "unwanted dragon to have to dump", then they do not have to participate at all in the event and therefore will never earn the coal dragon they don't want. It's not like they are being forced kicking and screaming to participate. wink.gif

However, if they feel that they have to complete the goals of whatever the event asks for just to satisfy themselves, but at the same time still don't want the prize that comes with having completed all of it... insanely simple answer coming up... dump the "unwanted dragon" to the AP, give it to a friend, or trade it away for something they DO want.

I've been thinking of another way to look at the coal dragons. Right now we complete tasks to earn an imaginary "ticket" for the raffle. We never get to "hold" (see) that ticket. So why not just visualize that the coal dragon IS our "ticket" for the raffle. It is something we get to hold onto our scroll for having completed the tasks. It's also still ours to hold onto (if we want to) after the raffle prizes are drawn. It's kinda like a real raffle... when you buy a ticket they come in pairs - you keep one half (so you know what your number is) and the other half goes into the box from which the winners will be drawn. After the drawing is over, people have the option of throwing their half of the ticket away (i.e. giving away or trading the coal dragon) or keeping it (on our scroll) as a keepsake.

Edited by WraithZephyr

ER - hunting and breeding are ALWAYS there to do.....

Yes--and everyone can do them. Which is how every thing / event / announcement save the raffle announcement works. The raffle announcement is the one and only time on DC that a few people get something special while everyone else has nothing special to do at the same time. While of course people can and will find other ways to entertain themselves, adding a little goody bag present to the announcement would add more interest to it for the entire user base, not just the very small group of winners.

I also reiterate again, even if there's no other reason for it (or others feel the reasons presented are invalid), it's an extra pretty dragon for everyone. Don't we, uh, like getting new pretty dragons? *shrugs*

Oh my stars and bars, really my comment was not meant as a slap about the events. I understand that it is a lot of work and tons of fun for the community. BUT by the time the raffle prizes are handed out the events are a memory only. The fun part is over. Some people are getting new dragons to look forward too while most are just watching from the sidelines, games done, new holidays bred and named, nothing exciting happening on their own scrolls between the first of January and the middle of February.

I thought the point of this particular suggestion was to give non winners something to refocus on, give them some little something fun of their own to distract from not having won a prize?

-and for the record I personally won't be upset if this doesn't happen, it makes me no difference, but I would dearly love to see something, anything that would make the community a happier place at raffle time.

I don't see why this idea to appease a part of the community is something so many are dead set against. You can't force others to be graceful losers, and to be honest I feel like a lot of those unhappy players are the very sort who WOULD be a bit happier with a special dragon of their own, even if it's not one of 'the' prizes.

It takes nothing away from the raffle to do something for those unhappy players. Telling them to suck it up, or to say that they have no reason to be unhappy will not fix anything. How can you complain about the complaining but not be willing to do something simple like this to help fix it?

On another note, what if the events were left open until AFTER the prizes were handed out? So that they were still an ongoing, 'hey this is fun' something to do that is still special enough to make people feel like they are still a part of the fun?

Honestly, if a person truly does not want a "unwanted dragon to have to dump", then they do not have to participate at all in the event and therefore will never earn the coal dragon they don't want. It's not like they are being forced kicking and screaming to participate. wink.gif

However, if they feel that they have to complete the goals of whatever the event asks for just to satisfy themselves, but at the same time still don't want the prize that comes with having completed all of it... insanely simple answer coming up... dump the "unwanted dragon" to the AP, give it to a friend, or trade it away for something they DO want.

I've been thinking of another way to look at the coal dragons. Right now we complete tasks to earn an imaginary "ticket" for the raffle. We never get to "hold" (see) that ticket. So why not just visualize that the coal dragon IS our "ticket" for the raffle. It is something we get to hold onto our scroll for having completed the tasks. It's also still ours to hold onto (if we want to) after the raffle prizes are drawn. It's kinda like a real raffle... when you buy a ticket they come in pairs - you keep one half (so you know what your number is) and the other half goes into the box from which the winners will be drawn. After the drawing is over, people have the option of throwing their half of the ticket away (i.e. giving away or trading the coal dragon) or keeping it (on our scroll) as a keepsake.

But what if I want to be part of an amazing event but don't want the dragon? I'm gonna have to be forced to sit out on something fun because I don't want to have to dump a gift? That doesn't feel right. If something like this happened for snow wars, and I was part of it but I had to get this dragon without choice of saying "No thank you" before it was given to me, I would feel rude to just dump it in the AP. Some people maybe be able to throw a participation prize in the trash, I personally wouldn't. I would feel rude even if the prize I got was unwanted. The feeling of having to at least honor the gift by keeping will overwhelm my feeling of "Ugh I don't want this..."

@ADP

I'm starting today to look over other threads and jotting down all the suggestions people have made on improvements. Some have 16 pages, other 9, so it's a lot of posts to sift through as well as well tons of arguing. Its the fact that their going no where that irks me about as bad as this thread. And the fact that these problems exist irk me even more. I haven't seen much input from TJ in terms of the more major issues to the raffle system and that is because everyone is everywhere and majorly looking for their own interest. As a community, we have yet to come together as have for example for the spell scroll suggestion thread and crate actual concrete ideas and plans. Our suggestions are constantly changing and being shot down that TJ has nothing to input on. Thatswhy I'm going to take the time to read through all suggestions and see if i can make individual pseudo solutions to them all. HOPEFULLY once they are there, instead of people tearing them down and trying to shove their own stuff in there, we will be able to critique it like we would a piece of art and change it very little to fit everyone's needs as best we can.

@Marionetta

I am one that is sitting here, looking at these threads, and over all thinking, "Why did we have to ruin an amazing event with prizes...?" I agree with one user that mentioned them having preferred prize not be added at all. I agree and disagree. The event its self was absolutely amazing. The event its self was fun, engaging, beautiful to look at, and fun to participate in it. I enjoyed it very much and found it just an utter pleasure to have been a part of it. Winning something beautiful as my tinsel made it even better. Sadly I then stumbled upon this. Despite this beautiful, amazing, fun event... people where still upset, people where angry, and people could have cared less because "Not enough shinies to go around is bad."

To some degree I understood their frustration, because I started seeing how little of the tinsels love could be shared around. People who wanted a baby but could not get one unless they waited months or years. I mentioned this to my boyfriend and even he was amazed. I saw with my own eyes that the trading market for DC was unbalanced, anyone that had the ability to catch anything good would only take for example 2nd gen prize babies or other CB things amazing hard to get. To some degree I accepted it, until it became ridiculous. 5-7 CB metals for one 2nd gen prize. All those pretty things to one person. its there that it dawns on you how much of an advantage prize winners have because we didn't have to give anyone anything. We could keep the babies to our selves and control the amount of things we got because anyone is willing to give almost anything for a 2nd gen prize baby. That to me felt awful.

Many people see this on top of their own wants and needs and everything simply goes down hill. Feelings of "Prize winners are greedy, they don't share the love and get anything they want" mixed with "Well I want one too because its not fair only a few of them get it. I want something nice too" becomes the slurry of issues we have now. As i have said, no one will outright say it, but those feelings are there. whether it is admitted or not, they are there. Personally, had I not won, I would still be involved. Why? because regardless of whether i have one or not, I don't think its right that certain members of DC have to suffer through sitting there with their hard work being ignored because its not a 2nd gen prize, through users who would love nothing more that something pretty and shiny to at least call their own and being unable to do so because they have nothing of 'worth' for it. Here in a game where these sprites are abundant, where they will never run out until the site itself shuts down, why do we limit our selves so much. cave hunting is hard but that is no reason to push users away who have tried their best and possibly have something nice for something as trivial as a 2nd gen prize. It's getting ridiculous and I would much rather see it worked on and solved than sitting around distracting our selves with "Ooh welp we can try and add pretty new shiny to the mix because why not?" I would at least like to see the breeding fixed because I do want to try and gift Myst's babies to people but its been a month since hes been on my scroll and I've bred more from my 5-8 gen prizes than from my CB tinsel.

But what if I want to be part of an amazing event but don't want the dragon? I'm gonna have to be forced to sit out on something fun because I don't want to have to dump a gift? That doesn't feel right. If something like this happened for snow wars, and I was part of it but I had to get this dragon without choice of saying "No thank you" before it was given to me, I would feel rude to just dump it in the AP. Some people maybe be able to throw a participation prize in the trash, I personally wouldn't. I would feel rude even if the prize I got was unwanted. The feeling of having to at least honor the gift by keeping will overwhelm my feeling of "Ugh I don't want this..."

1) Don't leave an open space on your scroll for the dragon. If people who won the raffle had to have a space to receive their gift, the same will likely be true of these. Be conveniently locked twice and you'll likely never receive it at all.

2) Gift it. If they're limited to one per year and they're gorgeous, there are people who would love to have a second (or a first, for those who might've missed the event). Raffle it away or give it to someone as you please.

3) I guess we could have an opt out button if it's really necessary (which I don't think it is), but seriously I think option #2 is a much better choice. If someone offers you a candy you're not fond of, and you see someone else sitting around looking wistfully at it, are you going to just wave your hands at it or toss it in the trash when you could've made someone's day with it?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

nothing exciting happening on their own scrolls between the first of January and the middle of February.

Except the monthly releases. Like the one today. People can't go a month and a half without getting something?

Like ADP said, lock yourself. Gift it to someone who'll appreciate it. Problem solved.

I don't see why this idea to appease a part of the community is something so many are dead set against. You can't force others to be graceful losers, 

Indeed. But the rest of us are certainly forced to deal with them in all the endless 'woe is me' threads. And by what RIGHT should they be 'appeased'? I personally have 0 sympathy for them and don't believe they should get ass pats and 'there there's' to begin with because they're sore losers. Personally, I don't believe in rewarding lousy attitudes and to me, that's EXACTLY what it feels like from my side of the fence. Sorry. And people continue to say that this idea has nothing to do with pacification? Riiiiight.

Don't we, uh, like getting new pretty dragons? *shrugs*

Yes. Like the two we got today.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Then add a normal release at the time instead. Like I said, I'm not opposed to that, but we can get normal releases at any time whereas we only really have one perfect opportunity to release lovely black prizes.

Then add a normal release at the time instead. Like I said, I'm not opposed to that, but we can get normal releases at any time whereas we only really have one perfect opportunity to release lovely black prizes.

We can just - release them. So we can have several to create lineages xd.png Why try to tie it to en event ?

However, if they feel that they have to complete the goals of whatever the event asks for just to satisfy themselves, but at the same time still don't want the prize that comes with having completed all of it... insanely simple answer coming up...  dump the "unwanted dragon" to the AP, give it to a friend, or trade it away for something they DO want. 

I've been thinking of another way to look at the coal dragons.  Right now we complete tasks to earn an imaginary "ticket" for the raffle.  We never get to "hold" (see) that ticket.  So why not just visualize that the coal dragon IS our "ticket" for the raffle. It is something we get to hold onto our scroll for having completed the tasks.  It's also still ours to hold onto (if we want to) after the raffle prizes are drawn. It's kinda like a real raffle... when you buy a ticket they come in pairs - you keep one half (so you know what your number is) and the other half goes into the box from which the winners will be drawn. After the drawing is over, people have the option of throwing their half of the ticket away (i.e. giving away or trading the coal dragon) or keeping it (on our scroll) as a keepsake.

That's an interesting concept, having the coal dragon regarded as the ticket for the raffle, and those not wanting it having the option to gift or trade it away after the drawing.

If somebody doesn't want to be bothered gifting or trading, it's actually not all that hard to abandon a dragon - people do it all the time.

More generally:

I'm not sure why anyone would think the Events aren't appreciated - everyone was raving about the snow forts, which were great fun.

A lot of us do wonder about/sometimes comment on the possible difficulty of coding/spriting various things, (even if some of us have no idea and are merely guessing, meaning me, lol,) but TJ did tell tell us not to worry about coding difficulty when discussing suggestions, and not to reject anything on these grounds, so that gets mentioned less except on the most general basis, and I'll admit that I tend to notice (what I can recognise of) the artistry more than the work involved in various sprites, although that's implied in the results and evident trouble taken, and I (among others) have no idea about any technical or other aspects of spriting myself, so likely can't recognise what's caused the most labour.

But for many DC members, the notion of a new dragon sprite is, to say the least, intriguing, and certainly would not detract from the fun of the Events.

I'm not sure where it was that I saw paired pictures of white and black recolours for this, but they were gorgeous, and the OMG Coal Shimmers, as they were termed, were mindboggling.

I'd love to have one, and it seems that many others would as well.

The attendance dragon idea would be particularly fitting, because the Prize dragon is something that's randomly awarded and not dependent on skill or computer speed, as would the Coal participation dragon be.

This may not be a fix for anything, but it would be a wonderful addition and a nice gesture from the spriter and TJ.

It may also not be very likely, dunno, but it's hardly something that would twist DC off kilter the way the low-gen Prize offspring scarcity has, and which some defend, regarding the previously unheard-of and impossible-for-most, (even for fast catchers of insane numbers of the next-most-valuable dragons, but who can't even ever get on lists that don't move) trade value of all-too-rarely produced 2nd gens as important to preserve forever, and placing this over the numerous adverse effects this has had on the site and many members thereby effectively shut out in various areas.

We'll all have different views on things regarding DC, but since the community is affected, the community must be involved and considered.

And the idea of adding something additional to the fun of the Prize Event for everyone certainly wouldn't hurt.

I've been thinking of another way to look at the coal dragons.  Right now we complete tasks to earn an imaginary "ticket" for the raffle.  We never get to "hold" (see) that ticket.  So why not just visualize that the coal dragon IS our "ticket" for the raffle. It is something we get to hold onto our scroll for having completed the tasks.  It's also still ours to hold onto (if we want to) after the raffle prizes are drawn. It's kinda like a real raffle... when you buy a ticket they come in pairs - you keep one half (so you know what your number is) and the other half goes into the box from which the winners will be drawn. After the drawing is over, people have the option of throwing their half of the ticket away (i.e. giving away or trading the coal dragon) or keeping it (on our scroll) as a keepsake.

Hmmm, This idea I like very much! And I would definitely keep my half of the ticket biggrin.gif

Would you like me to include it in the OP as an option?

As for the events, I'd like to say I absolutely loved the events! And I wish we could have gone on with it for a long time! biggrin.gif

@AnanoKimi

Its the fact that their going no where that irks me about as bad as this thread.
Exactly this was the reason why Naruhina, ADP and I wanted to keep all parts of the big combo suggestion in one thread, but TJ wanted to discuss everything seperately.

The original combo suggestion was a combo because it was based on several suggestions and it had been adjusted several times based on all the comments in the original thread.

In fact, the results we have now with each individual thread is exactly what I was afraid of would happen, which I told TJ in a PM. Alas.... he wanted each suggestion to be able to stand on its own.

Sifting through all the threads I'm starting to feel we'll never find any solution that will satisfy the majority of the userbase. Heck, even this suggestion to give a coal version as a participation prize now even gets shot down by several people while initially it was received with a lot of enthusiasm.

Although I too feel we would have been better off with the fantastic events without the accompanying raffle, I know there's no way back anymore. If we'd quit with the raffles the situation with the prizes would get worse instead of getting better, like Fiona already pointed out earlier, here or in another thread. I don't remember where she posted that.

If we keep the events with the raffles as they are now, we'll have complainers each year, like we have now.

But what will satisfy the majority of the userbase? As far as I can see at the moment there's not ONE suggestion that will satisfy the majority, not even the one where we state the breeding ratio's should be better. TJ himself already said the ratio of the prize dragon apparently is quite common in comparison to other breeds. Don't remember where he said that though. Other's state the breeding ratio is good.

To be honest, I don't know it anymore..... Perhaps I'll think of something tonight after I've read through all the threads again. As it stands now.... My feeling is that we might as well close all suggestion threads we've made about the raffle & prizes since we'll never reach a solution that will satisfy the majority of the userbase.

But that's just my feeling at the moment......

Hmmm, This idea I like very much! And I would definitely keep my half of the ticket biggrin.gif

Would you like me to include it in the OP as an option?

As for the events, I'd like to say I absolutely loved the events! And I wish we could have gone on with it for a long time! biggrin.gif

@AnanoKimi

Exactly this was the reason why Naruhina, ADP and I wanted to keep all parts of the big combo suggestion in one thread, but TJ wanted to discuss everything seperately.

The original combo suggestion was a combo because it was based on several suggestions and it had been adjusted several times based on all the comments in the original thread.

In fact, the results we have now with each individual thread is exactly what I was afraid of would happen, which I told TJ in a PM. Alas.... he wanted each suggestion to be able to stand on its own.

Sifting through all the threads I'm starting to feel we'll never find any solution that will satisfy the majority of the userbase. Heck, even this suggestion to give a coal version as a participation prize now even gets shot down by several people while initially it was received with a lot of enthusiasm.

Although I too feel we would have been better off with the fantastic events without the accompanying raffle, I know there's no way back anymore. If we'd quit with the raffles the situation with the prizes would get worse instead of getting better, like Fiona already pointed out earlier, here or in another thread. I don't remember where she posted that.

If we keep the events with the raffles as they are now, we'll have complainers each year, like we have now.

But what will satisfy the majority of the userbase? As far as I can see at the moment there's not ONE suggestion that will satisfy the majority, not even the one where we state the breeding ratio's should be better. TJ himself already said the ratio of the prize dragon apparently is quite common in comparison to other breeds. Don't remember where he said that though. Other's state the breeding ratio is good.

To be honest, I don't know it anymore..... Perhaps I'll think of something tonight after I've read through all the threads again. As it stands now.... My feeling is that we might as well close all suggestion threads we've made about the raffle & prizes since we'll never reach a solution that will satisfy the majority of the userbase.

But that's just my feeling at the moment......

Trust me I see your frustration and I personally would have also preferred to see all the suggestions as one. Its hard to rework parts of the machine if you cannot see how it will work as a whole. I don't think TJ saw that when you guys created the original suggestion thread.

I have never been totally against this idea, the only thing that bothered me is that suddenly all the attention was focused on something that at the moment had no importance. I realize everyone needed a break but slowly everyone began to ignore and overall abandon all hope for a solution and threw in a smaller problem into the mix instead.

I have been horribly busy with being mildly concussed and asleep 50% of the time due to pain, work, school, and home. I've wanted to read through the threads and figure out what I can but I haven't gotten far. I would actually love to see you and I work together. You my friend have some very great suggestions and from both our perspectives maybe we can come up with a sweet middle to this dilema.

My one biggest solution out of all of this is to see more users with Prize babies and a few more with CB prizes. I want to stop these ridiculous trades of 5-9 CB metals for one 2nd gen prize. Its crazy and a bit disheartening for new users and poor users. To a lesser extent I would love to still see prizes as prizes. Not as CB releases but as cute little trophies that can be handed out with little consequence to the game.

Thanks Anano, for your uplifting words smile.gif

Perhaps it's an idea if I PM you, Naruhina and ADP to see what the four of us can come up with? Right now I'm going to bed, but I'll send you the PM tomorrow, if you all think that's a good idea smile.gif

As much as I love black dragons, this idea plain and simply doesn't make sense in the long run. Whats the point of a RAFFLE, if EVERYONE wins? We might as well save the efforts of TJ and the artists and not do an event at all to gain an entry, because everyone at the end will get a dragon regardless of the outcome. Yeah, sure, some are bronze, silver, gold, but then its just not a prize dragon. Again, lets leave the raffle a raffle, not a handout.

I don't agree. I mean, a coal shimmer and a shiny shimmer are going to look different, and the coals be valued less than the shinies. But many people would be happier because they got something.