Sheriziya

ANSWERED:Release a Coal Version of the prize dragon?

I do not support Coal dragons. Mainly for the reasons so many others have expressed. But also for another, there seems to be this running trend of entitlement on Dc where everyone has to complain because they don't have the same thing as their neighbor. Whether it be Snow angel wings being different, Alt sweetlings or Cb prize dragons.

On Dc, just like in life, no one is entitled to everything everyone else has. In life there are those who will make more then you, have a prettier house, a nicer car, or heck even be lucky enough to be the one in millions who wins the lottery. Dc is no different. In my opinion we should be content that those who breed their prizes are breeding them for the public to enjoy at all. It's awesome that they choose to do it and so many of them for such low prices.

I have three second gen silver shimmer prize dragons. One obtained because one of my friends in RL happened to be lucky enough to win one and offer me an egg of any mate I wished. The other two were obtained by very humble means. One I offered a 2nd gen alt black for and the other a few modest IOU breedings of my dragons. Now those winners could have made me offer extravagant things for one but they did not. To be honest I would have loved them just as much had they been higher gen. All my tinsels but one are higher gen and I don't love them any less. In fact one of my favorite tinsels is even gen but pretty long lined.

The point being that it took me simply a bit of hard work and a little bit of luck in pm timing to get the prizes I have. So it IS do able by the average user. Even if it might take time. I am not a super known forum user, or popular on the forum, or even that outspoken. I just chose to quietly and politely try my hand at obtaining something I would enjoy having on my scroll through hard work. It was challenging and I did get rejected by quite a few owners but some were willing to hear me out.

I don't feel entitled to a prize dragon of any type. Instead I find that working towards obtaining and enjoying even a high gen one is good enough. I am thankful that they are still breeding and being circulated at all.

Because at this point if I was TJ I would have long ago made them sterile if only to stop everyone from complaining about near everything about them from how they breed, to how many eggs they produce, to how rare they are.

I think people need to take a step back from the whole prize issue and just be grateful that we have the sprites at all. Because they could easily be discontinued and go away completely. I'm not trying to incite rage and anger from all of you. I understand the human want for something special and shiny. I just wanted to express my feelings on the subject in general.

Edited by Reidragon

Personally I wouldn't mind 'coal' versions of Prize dragons that are open to the general public (basically a regular release of dragons that resemble the Prizes, but are differently colored to make them resemble coal), but I don't agree with like anything else I've seen. No "consolation prizes" (why does anyone need to be consoled...?) and no "get this many dragons and unlock them".

I agree with MM that I don't think there needs to be any consoling for this. I think there are better ways of improving the Prize dragon situation that don't include bending to sore losers. (also, imo "darn, didn't win this year. oh well! maybe next year!" isn't sore loser mentality, but "woe is me", other complaining and the like definitely are). These improvements would be more for maybe slightly better breeding (maybe) or possibly a slightly higher percentage of users, or something. But then again for the most part I think it's relatively fine the way it is.

Let's call a spade a spade.  What you really mean is the 'annoyances' sore losers have with the prize dragon because I don't have a problem with it at all. 

To me, this whole thing is about consoling sore losers and personally, I don't want them consoled or coddled for having lousy attitudes when winners are announced.  What kind of crap is that? 

In other words, some people need a 'shiny trinket' to help them actually be HAPPY for someone else because there's something in it for them.   Isn't that beautiful.  dry.gif  

Does it 'hurt' anyone?  I think it 'hurts' on principle and simply feeds into the 'I deserve', 'I demand', 'I'm entitled' mentality that is widespread on this site.  The less people buy into that ridiculousness  the better, imo.   The thought of TJ bowing down to this... just...no.

Saynna, I'm going to make a point of counting all those pity party posts this year.  I'll PM you with the results in December. 

Loool sorry, I wasn't aware that thinking exclusives on a highly collection oriented collectible game aren't the best idea made me a sore loser. I do find it ironic, however, given that you seem more enraged about said people than said people seem to be about the issue we're such 'sore losers' about.

It's not about people not being happy for the winners. Many people, even those who are disappointed that they didn't win, still congratulate them. It's about adding something to an event to make it of larger community interest. DC is pretty good in this regard (not doing lots of teeny announcements about things that impact few people), and again, it's not a horrible "THE SITE DOESN'T LOVE MEEE" feeling, just a small suggestion to make the one very minority exclusive event we have more compelling for the average person to give a toot about.

On Dc, just like in life, no one is entitled to everything everyone else has. In life there are those who will make more then you, have a prettier house, a nicer car, or heck even be lucky enough to be the one in millions who wins the lottery. Dc is no different. In my opinion we should be content that those who breed their prizes are breeding them for the public to enjoy at all. It's awesome that they choose to do it and so many of them for such low prices.

It is precisely because life isn't fair that I play games. I play games because usually they ARE fair and, with effort, you can be as awesome as anybody else. There is also a difference between everyone not having the same stuff and everyone not being able to obtain the same stuff. I believe with hard work everyone can get everything except discontinueds / past CB Holidays / CB Prizes on the site eventually. Accordingly, I am always in favor of the first two things on that list being brought back, and frequently in favor of an eventual in-cave release of the latter. I will note for the record that I don't care about CB Prizes for trade worth. I actually have a large amount of 2g Prizes and can use them to barter for almost everything I want. I care because they're a pretty breed that I now have almost no way to utilize in checker lineages. Yes, there are plenty of other pretty breeds I can focus on (and I do), but that doesn't mean I still can't want the latter as well. I favor DC over other similar games primarily because it's not pay to play and it's not heavy on exclusives. Therefore, when exclusives appear in any form, I tend to dislike them.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think people are getting way too personal and making a mountain out of a molehill. I support Coal because I think it's a cute take on an old Christmas "tradition" Getting a Lump of Coal. And I like black dragons in general. So, Win-Win.

I'm not seeing a need to get more elaborate than that.

Lol, pretty much what (yet again) angelicdragonpuppy and Vhale just said.

This is supposed to be FUN! smile.gif

Edit: also, the Coal dragon was kindly recoloured by the Shimmer spriter specifically for this potential event as an addition to the Raffle for participants, if TJ agrees - otherwise, it just never appears.

Edited by Syphoneira

I'm not 'enraged'. I'll be the first to admit that sore losers, people with entitlement issues, etc, tend to piss me off. And, just for the record, I didn't even have you in mind when I mentioned 'sore losers'. Expressing disappointment doesn't make you a sore loser. Screaming how 'unfair' the raffle is does. It IS fair. I was thinking about the people in the threads crying 'unfair' at Christmas being the sore losers. I didn't target you personally.

And Vhale, great. Lets forget a Coal dragon then and TJ gives everyone on the site just what you said...a lump of coal on their scrolls. A wonderful Christmas tradition can continue without the need to 'console' anyone because we'll all get a nice, shiny lump...maybe in the shape of a dragon... on our scrolls. Sounds like a plan to me.

Therefore, when exclusives appear in any form, I tend to dislike them

Well, in that case, since you dislike exclusives, if you win a prize tell TJ you don't want it, and won't accept it because it's just not right for anyone..including you.. to have them. lol

Edited by MedievalMystic

And Vhale, great. Lets forget a Coal dragon then and TJ gives everyone on the site just what you said...a lump of coal on their scrolls. A wonderful Christmas tradition can continue without the need to 'console' anyone because we'll all get a nice, shiny lump...maybe in the shape of a dragon... on our scrolls. Sounds like a plan to me.

Sounds like you need to start a suggestion thread for a new badge then as that isn't what this thread is about. Feel free if you're serious.

It is precisely because life isn't fair that I play games. I play games because usually they ARE fair and, with effort, you can be as awesome as anybody else. There is also a difference between everyone not having the same stuff and everyone not being able to obtain the same stuff. I believe with hard work everyone can get everything except discontinueds / past CB Holidays / CB Prizes on the site eventually. Accordingly, I am always in favor of the first two things on that list being brought back, and frequently in favor of an eventual in-cave release of the latter. I will note for the record that I don't care about CB Prizes for trade worth. I actually have a large amount of 2g Prizes and can use them to barter for almost everything I want. I care because they're a pretty breed that I now have almost no way to utilize in checker lineages. Yes, there are plenty of other pretty breeds I can focus on (and I do), but that doesn't mean I still can't want the latter as well. I favor DC over other similar games primarily because it's not pay to play and it's not heavy on exclusives. Therefore, when exclusives appear in any form, I tend to dislike them.

I have yet to find in all my internet ramblings any games that are completely fair. I don't think that they exist anywhere in the world. There will always be differences and winners and losers in in game events. No game can completely cater to the demands of all it's users and their varied interpretations of things. Just can't be done. I understand your point and see why you are frustrated. I just don't agree with the suggestion of giving everyone something just because they want it, or think they deserve it.

(P.S Vhale Pm me I can try and breed you that egg you want in your siggy. Sweetling x Tan ^^)

Edited by Reidragon

Name calling is not allowed via board rules. Even if you are not naming a specific user, if it is clear you are targeting a group of users, that counts as name calling and will earn a warning. This discussion has been going fairly nicely with no name calling and I would like to keep it that way.

If you miss the raffle, you don't get the prize because you didn't participate. That's a given. If you start after the raffle, you get the chance of getting the coal prize the next year if you participate in that raffle. I feel like people who win one of the top prizes (tinsel, shimmer, HM) should have the chance to swap out their prize for a coal if they want it, but they shouldn't get a coal and their prize since they already have a dragon to show for participating in that year's raffle. But that's me.

Editing to reiterate that I wouldn't really care if TJ decided to give top winners a coal dragon and their prize, but I still feel that people don't really need two dragons to show that they participated.

I feel like  the coal prize should be offered every raffle and that they can get get the coal prize every year that they participate (just like some of the previous winners have won consecutive prizes). Participation earns the right to possibly win (or if this suggestion passes to have) a dragon.

With all due respect "I feel like people who win one of the top prizes (tinsel, shimmer, HM) should have the chance to swap out their prize for a coal if they want it, but they shouldn't get a coal and their prize since they already have a dragon to show for participating in that year's raffle.". Is very hypocritical.

Your argument is for every one to have the sprite, yet you personally advocate for people who got lucky to not be allowed to collect the sprite.

Its this sort of hypocrascy in requests like this that automatically lose my support. Winning nothing in the raffle is just as unfair as denying winners access to a CB dragon, by all means, should get. At least in terms of " equality" which is what people are harping on in this topic. Until this hypocrasy is erased in this idea, then don't expect the idea to getuch support IMO.

Also not all raffles have had an entry requirement. The 2011 raffle was via votes on our trees, the 2012 raffle all scrolls where entered regardless of how you decorated your wreath. So I still stand by the potential for this dragon , released as a consolation prize, just becoming anog unobtainable CB that people complain about (like previous holidays).

And the interpretation I got off Mysfytts post about the coal is that it would be a one time raffle consolation prize, not a reoccurring thing.

Just to get things straight. I'm not opposed to having the coal sprite out there, its very lovely. I'm opposed to the way people are wanting it released. I love new dragons to collect and a black prize line that breeds true in that color would be fantastic. But I'm against adding another dragon that will be like coppers or previous holidays and cause more angst in the community.

Edit - I'm also a person who doesn't agree with or stomach the "entitlement attitude" we see in today's society. And though no one means for the request of a consolation prize to come off like that, unfortunately that's exactly how it comes across when you boil it down. Especially when people start suggesting prize winners shouldn't be allowed to get the CB coals

Edited by Red2111

I like the idea of a consolation prize as long as it is equally distributed to everyone not just non prize winners (no discrimination yo )

snip

Here's the thing. If it's a consolation prize, the top winners don't get the coal unless they choose to have it instead of whatever else they won. It says in the very first post that Mysfytt agreed to color the shimmers for people who did not win.

I'm not arguing for everyone to have a CB coal. I would like the coal to be put into circulation, but I'm stating that I would like for everyone to come away with a dragon for participating regardless of what sprite it is-- coal, top tier shiny prize, HM. Again, I don't feel like winners need two CB dragons and a badge for participating (I stated that somewhere very early on in the thread. I didn't just start now.) I want the equality that comes with giving everyone a dragon for participating, which may not necessarily be the coal. What you believe to be hypocritical, I believe to be fair. Each person gets one dragon and one badge. It has nothing to do with entitlement.

Really, I wouldn't be miffed if winners did get the coal and their prize just like I wouldn't be miffed if the coals were only a consolation prize this year or for the rest of raffle history or if this suggestion just sat and was never introduced. People are going to complain regardless of what happens.

Edited by Jazeki

Reading through the last few pages, I've gotten a bit confused on one quite important thing:

What, exactly, is the problem this coal dragon is supposed to solve?

Because at the moment it seems to me as if there's just a pretty recolor of an existing dragon, and we're at the core just discussing how to release it.

Am I right in thinking that the problem is that the raffle creates inequality among the users; it's 'unfair' to those who don't win anything?

Because if that's the case, that would be a completely different discussion, which I don't think a coal dragon would be able to solve. That's part of a much, much bigger 'problem' on DC.

I say 'problem' because to me it's not a problem; however, I recognise that others may feel that way and it's probably worth discussing.

If we truly want fairness for everyone, we'd have to get rid of the raffle completely and just give everyone a CB prize dragon (not even only those who actively participate, after all that would be unfair to everyone who couldn't attend the event). The raffle is inherently unfair, after all, as is anything where there are winners and losers.

We'd also have to just give everyone their allotment of GoNs already (because it's so unfair that some people summon on their first try while others have to wait years), give everyone a Dracopancake (because why should Lord Dracogangake be the only one entitled to a special treat from TJ?), give everyone CB holidays they missed... the list goes on and on.

Yes, the raffle creates inequality and unfairness. To me those aren't problems, they're things which create ambition and give people something to strive for (and looking at it from a site owners' perspective, it gives people something to keep playing and coming back). If others do feel it's a problem, that's fine; everyone is entitled to their opinion after all. I just don't think a coal dragon will solve that, as many have already said, everyone will still want the shiny stuff anyway, so the unfairness and inequality is still there.

I do not support Coal dragons. Mainly for the reasons so many others have expressed. But also for another, there seems to be this running trend of entitlement on Dc where everyone has to complain because they don't have the same thing as their neighbor. Whether it be Snow angel wings being different, Alt sweetlings or Cb prize dragons.

I have three second gen silver shimmer prize dragons. One obtained because one of my friends in RL happened to be lucky enough to win one and offer me an egg of any mate I wished. The other two were obtained by very humble means. One I offered a 2nd gen alt black for and the other a few modest IOU breedings of my dragons. Now those winners could have made me offer extravagant things for one but they did not. To be honest I would have loved them just as much had they been higher gen. All my tinsels but one are higher gen and I don't love them any less. In fact one of my favorite tinsels is even gen but pretty long lined.

The point being that it took me simply a bit of hard work and a little bit of luck in pm timing to get the prizes I have. So it IS do able by the average user. Even if it might take time. I am not a super known forum user, or popular on the forum, or even that outspoken. I just chose to quietly and politely try my hand at obtaining something I would enjoy having on my scroll through hard work. It was challenging and I did get rejected by quite a few owners but some were willing to hear me out.

I don't feel entitled to a prize dragon of any type. Instead I find that working towards obtaining and enjoying even a high gen one is good enough. I am thankful that they are still breeding and being circulated at all.

Because at this point if I was TJ I would have long ago made them sterile if only to stop everyone from complaining about near everything about them from how they breed, to how many eggs they produce, to how rare they are.

I think people need to take a step back from the whole prize issue and just be grateful that we have the sprites at all. Because they could easily be discontinued and go away completely. I'm not trying to incite rage and anger from all of you. I understand the human want for something special and shiny. I just wanted to express my feelings on the subject in general.

Exactly. Syphoneira - look at that first sentence. I'm not alone in seeing the entitlement thing here.

And yes to Rhynn Collins' post too. Sure the coal as suggested is pretty, and sure I'd like one. But NOT as a do nothing, it's a miracle gift. As a - maybe rare - in the cave.

I was always dubious about raffles since the day they started. I still am. But those "miracle" prizes are a whole separate issue. They aren't unfair in themselves - any more than not winning that bottle of whisky in the raffle I entered the other week was unfair. But that's how raffles are. there are winners and there are people who didn't win, and too many of the latter do whine. I don';t see the whole Christmas thread as a pity party - but there are always A FEW people who say it was unfair and they had a bigger, better whatever we had to make than anyone else, and should have won. The only year it COULD have been called unfair was the tree year, as the judging side of it was - shaky. Since then it has been just chance, and as fair as a RAFFLE can every get.

WE really need to get past all this, and while I'd like to see coals in the cave, they won't help.

I agree that inequality isn't an issue. Even if it was, giving everyone a coal wouldn't change anything because even though it's a shimmer, it's still not a metallic shimmer. I'm against this, they'd look pretty but they wouldn't make the unhappy people happy and it would feel weird having coal shimmers but no coal tinsels.

Snip.

Again and with all due respect your post exemplifies exactly why people are labling this as an entiltment problem rather than a problem that needs to be fixed.

The definition of entitlement is "the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something; the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something"

People seem to feel that they are entitled to having the prize sprites on their scrolls or any dragons on thus site and that's just not the case.

And you don't solve an issue of inequality, so any suggestion of people not getting a CB sprite because they won something loses Amy of its moral high ground IMO

but I'm stating that I would like for everyone to come away with a dragon for participating regardless of what sprite it is

So if TJ gave us all CB Rocks/stone dragons on our scroll as a direct result of participating in the raffle you'd be happen then, yes?

Again and with all due respect your post exemplifies exactly why people are labling this as an entiltment problem rather than a problem that needs to be fixed.

The definition of entitlement is "the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something; the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something"

People seem to feel that they are entitled to having the prize sprites on their scrolls or any dragons on thus site and that's just not the case.

And you don't solve an issue of inequality, so any suggestion of people not getting a CB sprite because they won something loses Amy of its moral high ground IMO

So if TJ gave us all CB Rocks/stone dragons on our scroll as a direct result of participating in the raffle you'd be happen then, yes?

You don't have to keep putting "with all due respect" right before you post your disagreement with what I have to say. I get that you respect my opinion and believe differently.

This a game for collecting sprites. People should have access to all of the sprites and they do (save the discontinued ones). I would like for everyone to get a CB dragon in addition to the badge for participating in the raffle. If it's a coal prize, cool beans. If it's a top prize, cool beans. If it's an HM, cool beans. Yes, even if it's a stone, that'd be great too because everyone gets a dragon and a badge for participating.

Again, I don't care either way what happens, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with introducing a sprite that allows everyone who participates that didn't win to get something.

Most of the 'against' people call the coals 'shinies', what the..? This is COAL, not bronze, silver or gold, coal is not a shiny thing nor a valuable decoration... And coal is often available for anyone(e.g. in my country it's still the basic source of heat in most of houses in winter), unlike gold or bronze. This makes sense to make them obtainable to any average player.

I'd like 1st: more easterns on DC, 2nd: 'shimmerscales' have a cool sprite, would be grat to have more variations of this one.

And how would they affect the value of the shiny prize versions really? How is that hurtful to have coals for raffle participation? This is still not a shiny shimmerscale, this is a different dragon. It's not the same as bronze, silver and gold... It's just coal. Like if you had a cheap replica of a shiny prize statue... I'd even suggest calling it Coalscale instead of Shimmerscale to reduce misconception. One wouldn't get a shiny out of them... And black scales colour of this sprite would look really cool. Why not?

It seems like many mistreat the coals as shines, like if it anyhow affected prize dragons themselves... Just because you can get a cheap replica of e.g. an Oscar prize doesn't make the actual Oscar prize anyhow less valuable... Same with coals to shiny prize dragons.

Edited by Aniusia483

I don't see anything inherently wrong with introducing a sprite that allows everyone who participates that didn't win to get something.

I see everything wrong with it.

You are 'getting something'. You're getting to participate in a really fun, cool event. You're getting a new badge on your scroll. You're getting a new Christmas dragon. I'd say that's a whole lot of win. And it's enough. If it's not, and this is in general, I'd say that's a personal problem, not a problem with the game or the raffle, and certainly nothing TJ should be required to 'fix' for anyone by giving them a 'prize'.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I'd even suggest calling it Coalscale instead of Shimmerscale to reduce misconception.

........Oh man now I'm imagining them not being Shimmerscales but a subspecies (which I think Mysfytt herself said they would be) and they come from volcanic regions rather than being an aquatic breed like shimmerscales and live among ash and such ergo the dark colors and COAL and getting a new breed description saying such and fkljdfldfjd YES ;w;

I think what people mean is that, you wait to see if you got the raffle and then... nothing. If you ended up getting at least a small thing in return, then this could make quite a few people feel happy about another nice dragon on their scrolls from that event. Sure, they had more fun before, but how about a little fun during raffle time as well? It's not as if people are suggesting that everyone gets a CB prize, it's just a little something, not even that rare, but which looks nice. I don't think it should be 'consolation'. It's just that everyone gets a little something from the raffle, even if it isn't as rare as what some other people get. I don't see this as supporting the sore losers at all. Sore losers will still complain that they didn't get a shiny. However, this isn't the point. The point is that this suggestion could make the raffle more interesting not just in getting raffle tickets, but in getting a dragon too, even if it's just a coal one. This isn't a 'fix'. This has nothing to do with the sore losers. This is just a nice extra that would be appreciated by many.

Yes, I can understand the other points of view, but this is my opinion.

Edited by MessengerDragon

I think what people mean is that, you wait to see if you got the raffle and then... nothing. If you ended up getting at least a small thing in return, then this could make quite a few people feel happy about another nice dragon on their scrolls from that event. Sure, they had more fun before, but how about a little fun during raffle time as well? It's not as if people are suggesting that everyone gets a CB prize, it's just a little something, not even that rare, but which looks nice. I don't think it should be 'consolation'. It's just that everyone gets a little something from the raffle, even if it isn't as rare as what some other people get. I don't see this as supporting the sore losers at all. Sore losers will still complain that they didn't get a shiny. However, this isn't the point. The point is that this suggestion could make the raffle more interesting not just in getting raffle tickets, but in getting a dragon too, even if it's just a coal one. This isn't a 'fix'. This has nothing to do with the sore losers. This is just a nice extra that would be appreciated by many.

Yes, I can understand the other points of view, but this is my opinion.

Yes thumbs up full agreement to this post!

The only argument against it that I find myself even slightly agreeing with is that it'd be a bit odd to have black shimmers and not black tinsels, but it's something I could live with (especially if, as above, some tiny tweaks were made to make them more something heavily based off shimmers than just plain and simple recolors)

Well, I imagine the conceptualizer of the sprite pretty much determines the description.

I don't know what raffles, (other than the sort sold door-to-door for simple draws) are like these days, or wherever various people may happen to be, but here we used to have a lot of (fund-raising) wedding socials and other events I'd attend, where there'd be draws for door prizes and it was certainly not unusual for some little gift to be given out as well at the door or, at seated events with ushers, by people's places.

For obvious reasons, you don't get those on the sort of drawn raffle tickets sold door-to-door which you buy without attending anything, but on events which people attended, these little gifts were common.

If you don't/haven't attend(ed) these sort of events, or you don't have them in your area, the concept might seem unfamiliar, although I'd never heard before of anyone ever complaining that people got these little gifts/mementos.

Granted, I never go anywhere anymore, and the last large event I attended was years back on a 10-day 'group sister's vacation', when I and my sister travelled together to a large annual horse show in another province - but when we bought tickets coming in from the car park, we - like all the thousands of others attending - were given various things as souvenirs, the only one of which I retained was a flag.

All sorts of promotional/sponsored events give out samples and things, as well.

The practice of giving such 'hand-outs' to participants is hardly unusual, at least around here...

Therefore, I really have trouble understanding the objection against attendance prizes on the grounds that people simply get them at an Event?

As has been pointed out, we 'simply get things' at DC regularly, such as the Events themselves, so what's wrong with additions intended to make them more enjoyable?

The Events at DC aren't even competitive in themselves, just something fun to do that is freely provided to us for our enjoyment, so some of these objections are even more confusing...

Edit: just to mention, the spriter was nice enough to recolour their sprite specifically to offer its use for (edit: and ONLY for) this consolation/participation prize idea, and I'd strongly suggest that people might want to rethink suggesting that the spriter's lovely sprite be tweaked for it.

This is Mysfytt's sprite and kindly offer, after all. smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

Not only would people be sad to finally get a prize dragon and only get the coal and not a metallic, but number one, all of the prizes are supposed to be metallic, and number two, these have already been rewarded, try it with a completely new 2014 prize dragon atleast.

But that's just it guys. No one is entitled to anything. Why does there need to be something given to you beyond the new holiday dragon and the holiday event? Sure if you happen to win a event prize it's just a cherry on top of the whole thing. But it's not required for you to win something to enjoy the event, or the new holiday dragon, or the offspring of the prizes you are bound to eventually receive no matter what gen. Why on earth must we all receive something extra? In my opinion there is no reason at all to expect to get anything other then what we already should be super grateful to receive.