Sheriziya

ANSWERED:Release a Coal Version of the prize dragon?

Lol, but this isn't a *win* thing, just a proposed addition to an already lovely Event, specifically for which purpose the Prize spriter has made a special recolour we will otherwise never see.

I've seen nobody say they felt entitled to anything, but this being DC, a dragon-collecting site, we hate to see a lovely sprite which the spriter created specifically and only for this suggested purpose, go to waste. smile.gif

But that's just it guys. No one is entitled to anything. Why does there need to be something given to you beyond the new holiday dragon and the holiday event? Sure if you happen to win a event prize it's just a cherry on top of the whole thing. But it's not required for you to win something to enjoy the event, or the new holiday dragon, or the offspring of the prizes you are bound to eventually receive no matter what gen. Why on earth must we all receive something extra? In my opinion there is no reason at all to expect to get anything other then what we already should be super grateful to receive.

I don't believe it is anything to do with 'entitled'. We don't have to have a prize from the raffle. We are really grateful for what we get. However, this would be a nice addition, so that during the draw time people would get a nice thing for their scroll. It isn't a question of 'we aren't happy we want to get more things', it's a question of 'this is something people would enjoy'.

Edit:

Lol, but this isn't a *win* thing, just a proposed addition to an already lovely Event, specifically for which purpose the Prize spriter has made a special recolour we will otherwise never see.

I've seen nobody say they felt entitled to anything, but this being DC, a dragon-collecting site, we hate to see a lovely sprite which the spriter created specifically and only for this suggested purpose, go to waste.   smile.gif

This too.

Edited by MessengerDragon

@ Syphoneira. Here in the south and even up north when I lived there we have those same sort of raffles. Up north it would buying a ticket at the fair to win a grand prize or at your school. Down here the Mardi gras crews hold draw-downs where you buy tickets for a plate lunch and cheap drinks are sold as well as raffle tickets for door prizes. There's also raffle tickets sold at some church functions my in-laws go to, that let people enter a silent auction.

In none of these raffle events (even the draw downs) are consolation prizes given out to all the people who attend. The only time I've seen a consolation prize given out was at my nephews pre-school where everyone got a participation ribbon in an outdoor track and field to make sure all the little kids got something and none of the kids cried.

@ Jazeki - every one does have access to the shimmer and tinsel sprites and if people don't have them on their scroll but would Luke them all it takes is a nicely worded request to those of us that do have prize lines. Like I said, most lines that are 6th+ gen are gifted freely and many 4th & 5th gen are traded for very low prices. It may not be a CB or a 2G, but every does at least have access to the sprite if they put in a little foot work. Heck there even used to be a gifting thread specifically for getting people nice prize ones who had none on their scrolls, it was closed because after a few months no one was requesting any prizes.

Edited by Red2111

I've seen nobody say they felt entitled to anything, but this being DC, a dragon-collecting site, we hate to see a lovely sprite which the spriter created specifically and only for this suggested purpose, go to waste. smile.gif

Why does there need to be anything added? For what purpose? That's my question. Recolors for dragons are proposed all the time. That doesn't mean they have to or should be used. And with no re-color for the Tinsel and only the shimmer I don't see why it needs to be released. We already have shiny versions. Why do we need a dull colored one?

If the same coal shimmer sprite is given out every raffle, which I think is what will happen because people are so damn touchy about new prize sprites being introduced, I'd get a coal dragon every year which is something I don't want. That and the "entitlement" issue. So no from me.

ETA: I collect sprites, and for me I need 4 shimmers, which can be someone else's bred one + mine. So from the second year any coal dragon I would get is practically useless and I would give these away. I can also see them quickly becoming like the "caveblockers" of the AP.

Edited by ylangylang

We already have shiny versions. Why do we need a dull colored one?

The 'dull' one would be CB. People could make pairings they like which aren't often seen. For example, if someone wanted a line with cassares (which I've never seen), they wouldn't have to try and get on a 2nd gen list for it to be created. (It would be slightly different of course, this being a coalscale, not a shimmerscale, but it woud be better than nothing) People could even make stairs and spirals where a CB coalscale is added every time!

And, as I said here, people would enjoy something nice from the raffle even if it isn't shiny.

But that's just it guys. No one is entitled to anything. Why does there need to be something given to you beyond the new holiday dragon and the holiday event? Sure if you happen to win a event prize it's just a cherry on top of the whole thing. But it's not required for you to win something to enjoy the event, or the new holiday dragon, or the offspring of the prizes you are bound to eventually receive no matter what gen. Why on earth must we all receive something extra? In my opinion there is no reason at all to expect to get anything other then what we already should be super grateful to receive.

Why on earth do we need BSAs? Or extra egg slots for trophies? Or easier ways to sort our dragons? Or anything else in the game? The answer is, we don't--but it doesn't mean said stuff isn't very nice. I doubt very many people think such a treat is required, but it would still be cool to have. IIRC, the spriter already even made the recolor and everything, ready to go. Also we need a dull colored one because black eastern dragons are awesome. 8)

@Syphoneira: I know it'd be up to Mysfytt to make any new description (provided they get one at all, if they happen at all, which are both big "ifs"), I just thought the idea was awesome and threw out some thoughts. biggrin.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Also we need a dull colored one because black eastern dragons are awesome. 8)

I don't see this as a legitimate reason because you could just as easily release some of the darker colored easterns on the completed list. Imho there is no reason why THIS one shiuld be favored over other dark colored easterns.

The 'dull' one would be CB. People could make pairings they like which aren't often seen. For example, if someone wanted a line with cassares (which I've never seen), they wouldn't have to try and get on a 2nd gen list for it to be created. (It would be slightly different of course, this being a coalscale, not a shimmerscale, but it woud be better than nothing) People could even make stairs and spirals where a CB coalscale is added every time!

And, as I said here, people would enjoy something nice from the raffle even if it isn't shiny.

So for lineage purposes is the only reason? The collection argument holds no water because you can already collect the sprites. Maybe not the exact lineage you want but you can collect the sprite. As for lineage what's wrong with requesting that lineage from someone? Or trying to find a combo already conceived that you can enjoy? And sure it is always nice to receive something that doesn't mean it has to happen. The event you enjoy to obtain tickets in my mind is gift enough without anything added at the end besides a nifty badge. Everyone gets a nifty badge. Why should everyone also get something else? The badge is already a consolation prize of sorts.

I think what people mean is that, you wait to see if you got the raffle and then... nothing. If you ended up getting at least a small thing in return, then this could make quite a few people feel happy about another nice dragon on their scrolls from that event. Sure, they had more fun before, but how about a little fun during raffle time as well? It's not as if people are suggesting that everyone gets a CB prize, it's just a little something, not even that rare, but which looks nice. I don't think it should be 'consolation'. It's just that everyone gets a little something from the raffle, even if it isn't as rare as what some other people get. I don't see this as supporting the sore losers at all. Sore losers will still complain that they didn't get a shiny. However, this isn't the point. The point is that this suggestion could make the raffle more interesting not just in getting raffle tickets, but in getting a dragon too, even if it's just a coal one. This isn't a 'fix'. This has nothing to do with the sore losers. This is just a nice extra that would be appreciated by many.

Nothing? The new Christmas dragons are 'nothing'? The awesome, fun event...that people here put hard work and effort into for people to enjoy...is 'nothing'? Really. I'm sure the people that bust their asses to put it all together will be thrilled to hear it. dry.gif So, what you're really saying is that people can't handle disappointment and demand someone rectify that for them.. Again, that sounds like a personal problem, not a site issue.

And one quick question...in return for WHAT? Choosing to be here? Choosing to participate? And answer me this, by what right do people demand that this site make them 'happy' if they aren't happy with what they're already getting, which, imo, is plenty and a whole lot more than 'nothing'? If people aren't satisfied with what they DO get, too bad. By what right do people have to demand anything 'extra' when, imo, we're already getting plenty? Who owes you(general) and guarantees you(general)happiness just because you aren't happy?

~Removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't see this as a legitimate reason because you could just as easily release some of the darker colored easterns on the completed list. Imho there is no reason why THIS one shiuld be favored over other dark colored easterns.

I went through the entire completed list when that "completed list tournament" thread thing was made and don't remember seeing any stunning dark colored easterns... or that many stunning easterns in general, actually. Maybe like two or three. ;___; While the shimmers are already a pretty sweet sprite with, IMO, a really neat pose. Add in the play on getting coal for Christmas and adding that extra bit of interest to the "hey a few people just got Prizes on their scrolls" announcement and I'm all for it! Though, of course, I really really really want to see more regular eastern releases as well...

And again--I can't stress this enough--I don't think this NEEDS to be a thing. It's by no means a vital do-this-or-game-will-suffer addition. I just think it would be cool, and I don't think that's something I (or others) should have to build a ten page argument in defense of. x___o;;

Edit: left out a word oop

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Why on earth do we need BSAs? Or extra egg slots for trophies? Or easier ways to sort our dragons? Or anything else in the game? The answer is, we don't--but it doesn't mean said stuff isn't very nice. I doubt very many people think such a treat is required, but it would still be cool to have. IIRC, the spriter already even made the recolor and everything, ready to go. Also we need a dull colored one because black eastern dragons are awesome. 8)

@Syphoneira: I know it'd be up to Mysfytt to make any new description (provided they get one at all, if they happen at all, which are both big "ifs"), I just thought the idea was awesome and threw out some thoughts. biggrin.gif

I agree we don't need any of that stuff you mentioned and it is nice to have it for sure. However there are plenty of dragons on the completed list it would be really nice to have. Why do we need this coal one attached to the end of a holiday event where we already are gifted plenty? Why can't we just be content with what is already given? Asking for more seems greedy to me. And the holidays are about giving and thankfulness not asking to recieve even more.

I think what people mean is that, you wait to see if you got the raffle and then... nothing. If you ended up getting at least a small thing in return, then this could make quite a few people feel happy about another nice dragon on their scrolls from that event. Sure, they had more fun before, but how about a little fun during raffle time as well? It's not as if people are suggesting that everyone gets a CB prize, it's just a little something, not even that rare, but which looks nice. I don't think it should be 'consolation'. It's just that everyone gets a little something from the raffle, even if it isn't as rare as what some other people get. I don't see this as supporting the sore losers at all. Sore losers will still complain that they didn't get a shiny. However, this isn't the point. The point is that this suggestion could make the raffle more interesting not just in getting raffle tickets, but in getting a dragon too, even if it's just a coal one. This isn't a 'fix'. This has nothing to do with the sore losers. This is just a nice extra that would be appreciated by many.

Yes, I can understand the other points of view, but this is my opinion.

Agree 100% with this.

If Coal recolors are introduced, I'd see it as a "thanks for participating in the raffle, you didn't win, but you get something anyways" kind of gift. More like, you participated and got something even when you didn't expect to win anything...just like a treat.

Coal Recolors wouldn't even be rare, maybe uncommon if anything if one CB is given out to roughly about 1100 players.

If any of the CB Prizes (Gold, Silver, Bronze) complain...it should be ignored, they already won a CB SHINY.

Now if there was a completely NEW CB Coal "prize" for the raffle that only the ones that didn't win big got, that could be a problem. Beings it's a whole new dragon/concept that the winners didn't get.

Edited by BlightWyvern

Reidragon, my mouse is having issues and won't copy and paste again, but what you just said. I agree, totally and completely.

Someone wanting a specific lineage from the prize line is generally after a specific color prize with that pairing. So a coal version to make that line with wouldn't fix their problem.

And if a person really wants a specific pairing all they have to do is make a deadline prize line and work off of that.

After all, if their wanting the specific pairing its less about getting something worth trading and more about collecting something pretty. ( like those of us that collect EG and Checker prize line). A deadline user created line fills this need IMO.

And from my experience most pairings have been tried by prize owners. With thr ore common cave blockers (like cassere or black caps) your chances of getting a shiny egg is just slim because no one really breeds those sprites sad.gif

Agree 100% with this.

If Coal recolors are introduced, I'd see it as a "thanks for participating in the raffle, you didn't win, but you get something anyways" kind of gift. More like, you participated and got something even when you didn't expect to win anything...just like a treat.

Coal Recolors wouldn't even be rare, maybe uncommon if anything if one CB is given out to roughly about 1100 players.

If any of the CB Prizes (Gold, Silver, Bronze) complain...it should be ignored, they already won a CB SHINY.

Yes they won a shiny. But that doesn't mean their opinion doesn't count. They won because they are lucky. There is no reason to bar them from voicing an opinion because they are luckier then the rest of us. By no fault of their own they won. There is also not one good reason yet that I have seen laid out that leads me to believe that we should be given anything else than what already has been generously gifted to us.

Edited by Reidragon

I agree we don't need any of that stuff you mentioned and it is nice to have it for sure. However there are plenty of dragons on the completed list it would be really nice to have. Why do we need this coal one attached to the end of a holiday event where we already are gifted plenty? Why can't we just be content with what is already given? Asking for more seems greedy to me. And the holidays are about giving and thankfulness not asking to recieve even more.

Well, the prize handouts are usually in very late January / early February, so while it is Christmas related, it's also about a month after / the earlier excitement has worn off by then. xd.png

I also don't find it greedy to suggest and be excited about more potential cool things. I mean, Halloween is two months before Christmas, and wasn't a thing the first year of DC. Were people greedy to ask for it, since a big event was soon to come? Is asking for a normal November or January release greedy, since we have one or two big events around that time and then Valentines coming shortly after? I'd say nooo, it's just... people being interested and throwing out ideas for even more awesome things to collect / enjoy / do. We aren't kidnapping anyone and demanding COAL SHIMMERS OR DEATHHH. We're saying "ohey TJ / spriters, here is a neat thing, can happen maybe? Thank!"

And in most cases, DC users DO try to give back. Nobody gets paid to make the sprites that the game runs on, but people still do it anyway. In this case, of course, it wasn't as simple as just sending a sprite to TJ and hoping he'll release it, because the dragon already has a spriter, but Mysfytt already expressed approval and did the recolor sooo yah. What's the big deal?

I still feel everyone who's trying to stomp down this suggestion is just riding off anger towards people who have issues with the raffle itself, but as has already been stated, it's implementation really won't change feelings about the raffle much either way. It just gives us yet another cool thing to enjoy. I find it harmless to ask and cool to consider. Others, clearly, disagree, but since the argument seems to be based on pure differing opinion at this point rather than logistics I don't think there's a whole lot more to be said. The idea's been proposed: what happens now is in TJ's court. smile.gif

1st - statements like this are just spiteful IMO. Prize winners don't tell anyone to "just shut up" when people complain they didn't win in the raffle. Even after their harassed beyond reason and sent nasty messages. By those who didn't win (be it the original raffle or had a trade request for a 2g declined)

2nd - how is it any more fair for those of us who don't win the raffle to get a dragon just for playing that the prize winners would get just because they won something. The Coal is being given out as a participation prize in this case, not a "sorry you didn't win, here's something to make you feel better" prize. The prize winners participated and there for qualified for the coal dragon.

Not allowing them the sprite as well is discrimination and is not something that should ever get support imo

((Sorry abut the really long post))

So for lineage purposes is the only reason? The collection argument holds no water because you can already collect the sprites. Maybe not the exact lineage you want but you can collect the sprite. As for lineage what's wrong with requesting that lineage from someone? Or trying to find a combo already conceived that you can enjoy? And sure it is always nice to receive something that doesn't mean it has to happen. The event you enjoy to obtain tickets in my mind is gift enough without anything added at the end besides a nifty badge. Everyone gets a nifty badge. Why should everyone also get something else? The badge is already a consolation prize of sorts.

Not only. I just linked my previous post because I didn't want to type all of the previous ideas again. I never said lineages were the only reason. Not at all. Just that was the one I hadn't mentioned yet, so that was the one that I posted completely, not just linked.

Nothing?  The new Christmas dragons are 'nothing'?  The awesome, fun event...that people here put hard work and effort into for people to enjoy...is 'nothing'?  Really.  I'm sure the people that bust their asses to put it all together will be thrilled to hear it.   dry.gif  So, what you're really saying is that people can't handle disappointment and demand someone rectify that for them..   Again, that sounds like a personal problem, not a site issue. 

And one quick question...in return for WHAT?  Choosing to be here?  Choosing to participate?  And answer me this, by what right do people demand that this site make them 'happy' if they aren't happy with what they're already getting, which, imo, is plenty and a whole lot more than 'nothing'?  If people aren't satisfied with what they DO get, too bad.  By what right do people have to demand anything 'extra' when, imo, we're already getting plenty?  Who owes you(general) and guarantees you(general)happiness just because you aren't happy? 

~Removed~

I'm not saying the Christmas event is nothing. It's wonderful. I never said anything against the Christmas events and dragons.

What I am saying is that during the time when the winners get notified, the rest of DC doesn't get anything new at that point. During that time they find an email with no new messages. That is the 'nothing' I'm talking about. I do not in any way mean to say that the event is bad.

And if a person really wants a specific pairing all they have to do is make a deadline prize line and work off of that.

After all, if their wanting the specific pairing its less about getting something worth trading and more about collecting something pretty. ( like those of us that collect EG and Checker prize line).  A deadline user created line fills this need IMO.

And from my experience most pairings have been tried by prize owners.  With thr ore common cave blockers (like cassere or black caps) your chances of getting a shiny egg is just slim because no one really breeds those sprites sad.gif

Some people (me included) really don't like the idea of killing dragons. This group of people don't want to have to kill a dragon to create a pairing.

So OK, maybe the cassares weren't the best example. But there are pairings I'd love to see where the mates are classified 'uncommon'. There are many 'uncommon' pairings out there already, so uncommons should probably work fine.

Yes they won a shiny. But that doesn't mean their opinion doesn't count. They won because they are lucky. There is no reason to bar them from voicing an opinion because they are luckier then the rest of us. By no fault of their own they won. There is also not one good reason yet that I have seen laid out that leads me to believe that we should be given anything else than what already has been generously gifted to us.

But does having those DC players who participate in the raffle really devalue the shiny prizes? I think what was meant wasn't that prize winners should be ignored, it was that prize winners shouldn't complain that it makes them less valuable. It doesn't mean prize winners can't voice their opinions.

2nd - how is it any more fair for those of us who don't win the raffle to get a dragon just for playing that the prize winners would get just because they won something.  The Coal is being given out as a participation prize in this case, not a "sorry you didn't win, here's something to make you feel better" prize.  The prize winners participated and there for qualified for the coal dragon.

Not allowing them the sprite as well is discrimination and is not something that should ever get support imo

I believe that all participants, even the winners should get the coal as well. So this I agree with.

This is my opinion as well.

Well, the prize handouts are usually in very late January / early February, so while it is Christmas related, it's also about a month after / the earlier excitement has worn off by then. xd.png

I also don't find it greedy to suggest and be excited about more potential cool things. I mean, Halloween is two months before Christmas, and wasn't a thing the first year of DC. Were people greedy to ask for it, since a big event was soon to come? Is asking for a normal November or January release greedy, since we have one or two big events around that time and then Valentines coming shortly after? I'd say nooo, it's just... people being interested and throwing out ideas for even more awesome things to collect / enjoy / do. We aren't kidnapping anyone and demanding COAL SHIMMERS OR DEATHHH. We're saying "ohey TJ / spriters, here is a neat thing, can happen maybe? Thank!"

And in most cases, DC users DO try to give back. Nobody gets paid to make the sprites that the game runs on, but people still do it anyway. In this case, of course, it wasn't as simple as just sending a sprite to TJ and hoping he'll release it, because the dragon already has a spriter, but Mysfytt already expressed approval and did the recolor sooo yah. What's the big deal?

I still feel everyone who's trying to stomp down this suggestion is just riding off anger towards people who have issues with the raffle itself, but as has already been stated, it's implementation really won't change feelings about the raffle much either way. It just gives us yet another cool thing to enjoy. I find it harmless to ask and cool to consider. Others, clearly, disagree, but since the argument seems to be based on pure differing opinion at this point rather than logistics I don't think there's a whole lot more to be said. The idea's been proposed: what happens now is in TJ's court. smile.gif

This too.

Nope. I have no anger. Just a different opinion. Maybe because i'm a older generation user tongue.gif

You are however right that this suggestion has basically boiled down to differnet opinions and interpretations. Whatever happens in this game always boils down to what TJ believes of course. So I guess at this point we'll eventually see what TJ makes of the collective discussion and user opinion either for or against.

What you said, Red.

If that coal dragon comes out as a 'participation' prize, then Prize winners certainly participated and absolutely deserve to get one, too. Honestly, anyone who thinks otherwise, to me, comes off like 'You won a Prize and I didn't, but now I have something YOU don't have, so there!' Yeeeah..

MessengerDragon, so 'the rest of DC doesn't get anything' at that point, and they don't get an email. . Not to sound sarcastic, but...what's your point? I'd say people got plenty to enjoy during the Holiday event already and I don't understand the problem.

You're older, Reidragon? Now I know why I relate to your mindset. lol

Edited by MedievalMystic

MessengerDragon, so 'the rest of DC doesn't get anything' at that point, and they don't get an email. .  Not to sound sarcastic, but...what's your point?  I'd say people got plenty to enjoy during the Holiday event already and I don't understand the problem.

My point is that later, after the holiday event, some people get more excitement, while others don't get anything, just a vague feeling of disappointment. It would be nice for everyone to be able to have a participation prize.

((sorry if I'm wording this badly, I don't know how to word this properly. I'm not actually a native speaker even.))

Reidragon's one year older than me and I can say that in the scheme of things, being in one's late twenties is far from old.

But, in the grand scheme of things, I believe that most people (including myself) who are in favor of this suggestion are not ungrateful for the holiday festivities or sore over not winning. By the time raffles prizes are given out, the holiday event is over and Christmases can no longer breed. DC is back to normal until February, so if people were to get a coal shimmer, they'd be able to enjoy the results of their participation in the raffle along with the winners. You can't very well breed a badge and get more badges.

But, in the grand scheme of things, I believe that most people (including myself) who are in favor of this suggestion are not ungrateful for the holiday festivities or sore over not winning. By the time raffles prizes are given out, the holiday event is over and Christmases can no longer breed. DC is back to normal until February, so if people were to get a coal shimmer, they'd be able to enjoy the results of their participation in the raffle along with the winners.

This sort of explains what I was trying to say. Thank you.

What you said, Red. 

If that coal dragon comes out as a 'participation' prize, then Prize winners certainly participated and absolutely deserve to get one, too.  Honestly, anyone who thinks otherwise, to me, comes off like 'You won a Prize and I didn't, but now I have something YOU don't have, so there!'  Yeeeah.. 

MessengerDragon, so 'the rest of DC doesn't get anything' at that point, and they don't get an email. .  Not to sound sarcastic, but...what's your point?  I'd say people got plenty to enjoy during the Holiday event already and I don't understand the problem.

You're older, Reidragon?  Now I know why I relate to your mindset.  lol

I agree with Red and Mystic. (And yes I'm and older user. Maybe not as old as some but I'll be 29 in Febuarary this next year and I had the benefit of being raised by a great single dad who has rock solid morals and values and a distaste for materialism. Lol. ~Removed~