Sheriziya

ANSWERED:Release a Coal Version of the prize dragon?

I feel like a lot of things in this thread are coming off like some people just don't

want anyone else to have nice things. I almost feel like the coal dragon should

be implemented just to ruffle some feathers.

I feel like a lot of things in this thread are coming off like some people just don't

Yes. I do not want other people to have nice things because they think they have a right to get it. It's a raffle. Now come on and give me the coal dragon to show me how bad I am.

=> Sorry, I do not understand the "everybody can win/give the people something because they didn't win" mentality. How do you all survive in real life?

Now come on and give me the coal dragon to show me how bad I am.

Who said anything about being bad? I just think a black shimmer would be really flipping awesome.

How do you all survive in real life?

What makes you think I do?

You would "just like to ruffle some feathers". It implies that you want to punish people to some extent for their opinions which you don't like or you don't agree with (hence we or they are bad), because as you said, you think a black shimmer "would be really flipping awesome."

From what I could see, this was your first post here. Apart from wanting to have a black shimmer, why do you think should the non-winners get one?

What makes you think I do?

You have an internet connection because otherwise you wouldn't write here. Other people cannot even afford that?

I liked this idea the first time I saw it mentioned, and I still think it would be a cool

addition to the raffle/prize situation, if we have to have it at all. So I'm gonna go

ahead and say +1 support for this.

Still, you just avoid answering my questions which I asked. Do you just want to make it harder than it is to annoy me or is it fun for you?

Why shouldn't the non-winners get one? I've been involved with plenty of raffles

and competitions that handed out certificates of participation or some other sort

of "consolation" prize. It's not that uncommon. And I'm not really on board with

punishing anyone whether I agree with them or not. I admit my earlier post was

a bit not good, but I'm frustrated, for lack of a better word. It's not so much just

that I would like a black shimmer to be implemented. I would much rather the

prizes not have been added at all.

Still, you just avoid answering my questions which I asked. Do you just want to make it harder than it is to annoy me or is it fun for you?

The continuous responses you give don't help your case dear. If they want to 'ruffle feathers' then they will do so one way or another.

On the note of ruffling feathers, I do not see how wanting to not add in something no different to a cave release as part of a raffle thing that fixes none of the issues present with current Prize dragons not wanting "anyone else to have nice things."

I do not see it as necessary and just as I have said before, just because not everyone wins doesn't mean its bad. Not everyone wins the lottery, they do not give out $500 in compensation to every single person that bought a ticket but didn't win (no matter how nice that would be).

Considering all the options most raffle winners already get and if we continue to have 60 winners of one prize and 60 of the others plush 30 HM winners, there is plenty of prize love to go around. I do agree with the fact that HM pool could be bigger to accommodate any new prize breeds but all in all we do not need more than what we already have to look forward to in raffles.

Again, giving out a participation prize to everyone is no different than adding a new cave release except you don't have to try hard to get it. You just have to be there. Its kind of pointless at that point.

Also, adding a coal dragon would really only bother a very small few. Despite my not agreeing with this, I could really care less if it does or doesnt happen. I will not flip a table if this is added in, I will simply shake my head at a pointless addition to a game that is starting to get busy and very chock full of options everywhere. It will not solve anything nor help anything so really, its not exactly worth adding it in, at least in my opinion. Go ahead and ruffle my feathers with a pretty new dragon though, I don't mind.

Just want to say lotteries and raffles are bad comparisons.

I may not have ever won big in a lottery but every time I play I do manage to win at least a few dollars. Which is probably what keeps me playing the lottery on occasion, instead of just chucking it as a complete waste. xd.png

Just want to say lotteries and raffles are bad comparisons.

I may not have ever won big in a lottery but every time I play I do manage to win at least a few dollars. Which is probably what keeps me playing the lottery on occasion, instead of just chucking it as a complete waste. xd.png

I usually manage to win enough to buy a new ticket. So they're good at keeping people hooked! xd.png

Other than that, I don't have much to add. It would be great, but no tears will be shed if it doesn't happen.

I'm not really expecting much to come of these threads to improve the raffle because most like it the way it is. But it's worth a shot, anyway.

Lets say there was a coal colored tinsel. I won a silver this raffle, why on earth would I want 2 Prizes? A tinsel and a coal? That makes no sense. Yeah I participated but I won I don't need a feel good participation prize because I have my feel awesome silver prize. Its rather pointless and a bit much. A winner won a prize already, why give them even more. That feels unfair to me.

Really only non winning participants should get a chance at this and if necessary, give placement winners a chance to either get the placement prize (gold, silver, bronze) or the coal. Not both. Thats too much.

I agree with you. Getting 2 seems pointless, especially when one is as awesome as an actual metallic CB prize.

It's not about 'revenge' like I've seen thrown about here. (I mean, what? blink.gif) But for everyone to get one dragon in the raffle. So there is more of a sense of balance and everyone can feel good.

Revenge is a pretty heavy-handed word, and I've no idea why some users here are using it.

I am in support of both of your suggestions, but am a bit put off by the impression that people want this dragon because they are sore losers that complain and are unable to handle not winning a raffle. People do complain yes, but the point of this suggestion is for everyone to benefit from having a new dragon--not just aimed at making people stop complaining.

I'm also put off by it. This event happens right around Christmas time; so in the spirit of giving and of the season alone, it would be a nice and considerate touch on the behalf of DC.

But if it doesn't happen, I won't be surprised or really upset.

I just like the idea of a new dragon because new dragon hey why not.

It doesn't matter whether it's a consolation prize or a participation prize or even an annual incave drop. However I do have to say that it can't be that difficult for prize winners to trade for these CBs if they wanted to. Also one minor reason that winners shouldn't get the consolation prize is that getting both the prize and the handout locks two of their eggslots instead of just one, and there's a good chance the handout one isn't going to be safe against sickness either. (Note, those tiny reasons aren't actually against giving everyone an egg, just little things to think about)

I don't mean to mini mod but mirjana, combine all your posts into one and delete the rest because you are not allowed to multi post. its a lot easier if you try too keep all ideas in one post. edit it as you need and use the bbc codes available such a quote and what not.

Sorry sorry.

on topic, it just feels greedy to give winners both a prize they win and the regular hand out.

Sorry, I do not understand the "everybody can win/give the people something because they didn't win" mentality. How do you all survive in real life?

lololololololol Love it.

on topic, it just feels greedy to give winners both a prize they win and the regular hand out.

This entire thread is screaming GREED. Or entitlement.

Edited by MedievalMystic

This entire thread is screaming GREED. Or entitlement.

I find it very interesting that you comment this on a statement from a WINNER. How is this greedy from a WINNER's pov?

Anyway, is it greed when we say it's an idea to have a prize breed (mind you, in the case of this particular topic NOT the color!) available for all participants of the raffle? After all, DC is a collectable game of dragon breeds.

I could put it in another way just as easily:

It's greedy of winners to want the CB prize pool limited to the current CB prizes and not be willing to let others share in the fun of CB prizes. Not even future winners.

Mind you, I've even seen winners respond in other topics that the value of CB prizes were lessened because of the second year release of Tinsels and that there shouldn't have been a new release of Tinsels, let alone of Shimmers! And most of those commenters were NOT talking about sentimental value but TRADING value.

And now non-winners are sore loosers, whiners, greedy people because this thread (and others) look for a solution to make the raffle outcome fun for everyone and not only for the handful of prize winners?

/end rant

Why shouldn't the non-winners get one? I've been involved with plenty of raffles

and competitions that handed out certificates of participation or some other sort

of "consolation" prize. It's not that uncommon. And I'm not really on board with

punishing anyone whether I agree with them or not. I admit my earlier post was

a bit not good, but I'm frustrated, for lack of a better word. It's not so much just

that I would like a black shimmer to be implemented. I would much rather the

prizes not have been added at all.

^this^

But it's too late now, for the existing prizes. I'd just hate for there to be any more, to add to it all - and I don't think the coal dragon, while pretty and I'd like to have one, sure - will help with the actual ISSUE one iota. You will still have people saying well, fine but I still didn't WIN, and I WANNA WIN because until I do it isn't FAIR. (And in a few cases, then "and now that I did win I am not sharing with ANYONE mwahahaha." Which is their absolute right, yes, but if they feel that way it would be better for everyone's blood pressure if they didn't post about it !)

And I am one who thinks winning is something that has to be restricted to a few people. It's nice that many winners are generous with offspring, and I wish they all were, but they don't have to be, and we all have to live with that. If I win chocolates again (as I did recently) I might or might not share them, but everyone else receiving gum because they didn't get the chocolates won't make them feel any better.

By the way - the only actual difference between a lottery and a raffle is that a lottery is usually run by a government. You can still buy a zillion tickets for either one, and the chance of wining on a lottery is often VERY VERY much less than the chance of winning anything here. The UK lottery has a one in 14 million chance of getting a decent prize, just for the record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lott...ited_Kingdom%29

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/raffle

http://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk...-and-lotteries/

Not only that but in the UK lottery at least, it is possible for NONE of the numbers drawn to win the big prizes. There are often rollovers when no-one got them. Can you IMAGINE what would happen here if TJ said "No-one's number was drawn for the shimmers this year so no-one gets one; next year someone may get three..." ? xd.png When prizes are entirely drawn by an RNG, you can hit a number not bought. With a raffle (and I am SURE with TJ) you only apply the RNG to the numbers with entries attached. Or pull the cloakroom tickets out of the hat; same difference; you don't put in the numbers no-one took.

Edited (several times) for typefails....

Edited by fuzzbucket

I find it very interesting that you comment this on a statement from a WINNER.

I have no clue who the winners of prize dragons are. My comment was about threads like this one in general, not any one person.

If a prize winner personally sees two dragons as being 'greedy' then they could always opt out of getting some other 'prize' or whatever you guys are talking about wanting. But to exclude anyone, no matter who it is, winner of a prize dragon or not, from a participation prize is like the pot calling the kettle black, imo. 'WE didn't win a prize dragon and it's not FAIR, but WE get another dragon...but YOU can't have it if you won a prize!' Really? Makes no sense to me.

And now non-winners are sore loosers, whiners, greedy people because this thread (and others) look for a solution to make the raffle outcome fun for everyone and not only for the handful of prize winners?

'This thread...and others' indeed. Many others. And...why...yes. Some of them anyway.

And you should rephrase that...people aren't trying to make this 'fun' for everyone, imo. It's already fun for me personally, prize or no prize. You're trying to make it 'fun' for people munching on those sour grapes and needing soothing for hurt feelings. That's how all of this kind of thing comes off to me.

It is what it is. The raffle is perfectly fair. Why can't people around here be happy for their fellow players that win? Oh, wait...that's right. It's not about being happy for anyone else, it's about how miserable people are that it wasn't THEM that won. Almost forgot. And God, do I dread all those tear filled threads every single year... All I hear is 'ME, ME, ME, dammit!!'. Pretty sad, really.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Why shouldn't the non-winners get one? I've been involved with plenty of raffles and competitions that handed out certificates of participation or some other sort of "consolation" prize. It's not that uncommon.

You want certificates of participation? Guess what, they are already here.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The consolation/participation prize are NOT certificates of participation, because that would be redundant. Their sole purpose is to ease the hard feelings after losing a raffle.

Edited by CNR4806

The consolation/participation prize are NOT certificates of participation, because that would be redundant. Their sole purpose is to ease the hard feelings after losing a raffle.

Right on - and if we can't handle not WINNING... Sheesh, are we all still in kindergarten ?

I recently won a raffle (well, about 8th prize in it !) for the first time in my entire life (I am almost 70, BTW). Am I still griping about all the ones I haven't won ? Nope - you know you probably won't win when you enter. If you can't hack not winning - you don't hafta play... If you have to have a consolation dragon for not winning - that's just - rather sad. But it is YOUR (generic) problem, not the raffle's problem.

Right on - and if we can't handle not WINNING... Sheesh, are we all still in kindergarten ?

If you have to have a consolation dragon for not winning - that's just - rather sad. But it is YOUR (generic) problem, not the raffle's problem.

Thank GOD for the people on this site willing to call a spade a spade.

If I win chocolates again (as I did recently) I might or might not share them, but everyone else receiving gum because they didn't get the chocolates won't make them feel any better.

Fuzz, I am going to politely disagree with you on this one. I think it depends on the person playing.

I have a son who played in competitive tournaments every month for ten years when he was a child. Lots of different sponsors, different ways of being organized and different ways of awarding prizes.

Some tournaments very much like DC, big trophies for the top three in each group, small trophies for a few runners up and nothing for the rest.

One memorable event gave various size trophies to all but the worst player in each group (what were they thinking, that was a horrible thing to do!)

The most common way was big trophies for the winners and small trophies or ribbons for all the rest.

Were there still kids who went into a rage over not getting a big trophy? Sure, and you almost always found a couple of small trophies or ribbons left in the trash cans by sore losers. But for the most part those kids who went home with the ribbons were happy to get them, happy to have something to hang up in their rooms or take to school and show to their friends. They were happy to get a pack of gum, even if they didn't get the chocolate.

From my observation, the tournaments that only had top winners receiving trophies weren't bad things by any means, but the tournaments that sent everyone home with a little something always generated a little more excitement, and not quite as many long faces at departure time.

I don't think participation dragons will solve the problem of the raffle, I don't think it will make everyone feel better about not winning, but it will ease the sting for some people. It doesn't detract from anything. And I don't see it as being all about greed, nobody is demanding to be given this because they didn't get that.

It's more that the raffle makes for a lot of disappointment, sad feelings (and unfortunately sometimes anger/jealousy) and if there is a small way to alleviate some of those sad feelings for some of those people, why not? It doesn't hurt anyone or anything else in any way.

Fuzz, if all the other participants in the raffle were given a pack of gum as they left, would it have lessened your enjoyment of the chocolate? (sorry, not to single you out, but trying to make my point...)

Fuzz, I am going to politely disagree with you on this one. I think it depends on the person playing.

I have a son who played in competitive tournaments every month for ten years when he was a child. Lots of different sponsors, different ways of being organized and different ways of awarding prizes.

Some tournaments very much like DC, big trophies for the top three in each group, small trophies for a few runners up and nothing for the rest.

One memorable event gave various size trophies to all but the worst player in each group (what were they thinking, that was a horrible thing to do!)

The most common way was big trophies for the winners and small trophies or ribbons for all the rest.

Were there still kids who went into a rage over not getting a big trophy? Sure, and you almost always found a couple of small trophies or ribbons left in the trash cans by sore losers. But for the most part those kids who went home with the ribbons were happy to get them, happy to have something to hang up in their rooms or take to school and show to their friends. They were happy to get a pack of gum, even if they didn't get the chocolate.

From my observation, the tournaments that only had top winners receiving trophies weren't bad things by any means, but the tournaments that sent everyone home with a little something always generated a little more excitement, and not quite as many long faces at departure time.

I don't think participation dragons will solve the problem of the raffle, I don't think it will make everyone feel better about not winning, but it will ease the sting for some people. It doesn't detract from anything. And I don't see it as being all about greed, nobody is demanding to be given this because they didn't get that.

It's more that the raffle makes for a lot of disappointment, sad feelings (and unfortunately sometimes anger/jealousy) and if there is a small way to alleviate some of those sad feelings for some of those people, why not? It doesn't hurt anyone or anything else in any way.

Fuzz, if all the other participants in the raffle were given a pack of gum as they left, would it have lessened your enjoyment of the chocolate? (sorry, not to single you out, but trying to make my point...)

Not at all. Single me out all you want !

But I don't think it would have helped those who were angry that they did not win a major trophy.

What we have in all these FIX THE RAFFLE SO I GET WHAT I WANT threads are "I want the chance to have a CB no matter what it takes" vs "I don't want others who didn't win to have a CB no matter how much they want one."

Competitive tournaments are (IMNVHO) a little different; for a raffle there is no actual effort, really. It wouldn't hurt to have a coal dragon, and I'd love to get one - but it won't fix anything - and that was what the suggestion was made for.

And we do GET a participation badge - as CNR4806 posted already. That is the rosette.

When I would return to DC from a hiatus I would see all the pretty new ribbons and I would pout a bit because i missed out, with these new ribbons, I would be happy because this was my badge of participation and I could flaunt saying, "Yeah I was there, it was awesome~"

I didn't need a shiny new dragon to represent that, and had I not won this raffle, i would have that snow fort there to show I was a part of it and that it was fun. All in all really this still seems a tad pointless. You do not leave empty handed, you just don't value it as much because its not big shiny dragon.

really if you want a shiny dragon, rather than trying to get a caol version, there should be more rallying over ensuring prizes breed more prize babies, at least a bit more often than now, even if they do breed often. With a new coal participation prie we need to worry about, should 1-3rd place get them? should HM? can winners opt out? Will it be mandatory? Will they breed? If you're egg locked does it disappear? all these things are extra things we need to worry about on top of already existing issues. Why add more to a plate that is already rather full. Lets find a way to get rid of some of the stuff on our plate first before we even decide to add more to it.

really if you want a shiny dragon, rather than trying to get a coal version, there should be more rallying over ensuring prizes breed more prize babies, at least a bit more often than now, even if they do breed often. With a new coal participation prize we need to worry about, should 1-3rd place get them? should HM? can winners opt out? Will it be mandatory? Will they breed? If you're egg locked does it disappear? all these things are extra things we need to worry about on top of already existing issues. Why add more to a plate that is already rather full. Lets find a way to get rid of some of the stuff on our plate first before we even decide to add more to it.

If we have a coal dragon, it should be a coal dragon released in the cave, end of. Prizes as exclusive dragons are one thing; adding another "oh damn I wasn't there I have the RIGHT to one GIMME" dragon is unnecessary and will lead to even MORE drama. Please just release one in the biomes, as a rare, if needs be, but just as a release.