Descripforce

Description Force!

Finished catching up and finishing breeds that I had already done previously. We're back in the 2000s, and I should be continuing my reviewing as normal. smile.gif

Also: Fun fact, I just passed an unnamed dragon in the queue who claimed their dragon was named "Starr", and I actually own the dragon named "Starr". xd.png

One time I saw a description that was literally just something along the lines of "Decided later."

Edit:

I just checked, and all but three of my pending descriptions have been approved now! Those three are still pending.

Edited by Peachycupcake525

Yep I checked and Freezing's description is approved now!

The only one pending currently is Little Bolz but i'm gonna describe my gaias.

is the queue insanely short these day,s or is it just me? I eep stumbling over the same dragon over and over.

ETA: Oh, hello again, btw, I´m back to the review board biggrin.gif

Edited by tinti

Well. sometimes people just resubmit without major edits so you end up reading it again; happened to me before.

@peachycupcake I hate that so much! I can get over "I will decide later" because that's just the writer reminding themselves that that dragon is getting described, but I've recently been coming across descriptions that are literally the dragon's name. That's it.

I also came across one the other day that said "first dragon smile.gif". Obviously, I rejected it and told them to read te guidelines.

Edited by solarflare3000

I just realized that I've been calling a female dragon male in its description this whole time. I guess I'm resubmitting it.

Is there a cap for the reviewing comment? Many of my comments have gone past the length of the box, so I'm worried that they might have been cut off.

The cap is 200 characters. You'll know you've hit it when you can't type anything.

Still feels too short sometimes.

I just realized that I've been calling a female dragon male in its description this whole time. I guess I'm resubmitting it.

If I accepted that, my bad. I try to check for that for every dragon, but I must've missed it. rolleyes.gif

You'd be surprised how often that happens! smile.gif

Alright let me clarify my gaia's description.

Description: Mr. I hate graves, as his name suggests, hates graves. Every morning, his neighbors always wake up to his yelling "I'M TIRED OF THAT GRAVE BURNING DOWN MY TREES" at a grave that always burns down his trees to eat. He has tried so many methods to chase the grave away, but that never seems to work, unfortunately.

The grave is the holiday dragon. If it isn't, how would it be able to burn trees down and how would it eat the ash?

Alright let me clarify my gaia's description.

Description: Mr. I hate graves, as his name suggests, hates graves. Every morning, his neighbors always wake up to his yelling "I'M TIRED OF THAT GRAVE BURNING DOWN MY TREES" at a grave that always burns down his trees to eat. He has tried so many methods to chase the grave away, but that never seems to work, unfortunately.

The grave is the holiday dragon. If it isn't, how would it be able to burn trees down and how would it eat the ash?

Maybe clarify in some way that that is a name. Referring to it as "a grave" or "the grave" makes it seem like it's a gravestone or something. I know some of your names aren't capitalized, but consider putting his whole name (since I know the first word is capitalized). That way it's clear that it's a name.

Maybe clarify in some way that that is a name. Referring to it as "a grave" or "the grave" makes it seem like it's a gravestone or something. I know some of your names aren't capitalized, but consider putting his whole name (since I know the first word is capitalized). That way it's clear that it's a name.

Edited! Thanks for the advice.

I may or may not describe his mate and son's description.

The cap is 200 characters. You'll know you've hit it when you can't type anything.

Still feels too short sometimes.

Thank you!

is the queue insanely short these day,s or is it just me? I eep stumbling over the same dragon over and over.

ETA: Oh, hello again, btw, I´m back to the review board biggrin.gif

The queue is insanely short thanks to the hard work of Earth Gurl! smile.gif

And all the other people who help out, too!

But yes, I also keep seeing the same ones come through. I'm thinking, since on some I can't find anything changed, that it's someone who doesn't realize that when they go back to check on comments that they don't have to then 'submit' to click away from the page.

Do dragons have a spoken/written language seperate from humans? Armed with the knowledge that they use telepathy and can communicate with pretty much any creature that can understand them, I've been voting to reject descriptions that mention spoken names in draconic since I don't know if such a thing exists in Valkemare.

I hope you don't mind me quoting from the AMA 'cause this is related to descriptions.

It sounds like there are two reasons here for rejecting a description that mentions a draconic language/language called "draconic":

1. Dragons don't need it.

2. Not sure if it exists on Valkemare.

1. While dragons don't need language to go about their lives, it wouldn't be terribly fantastic for a group of dragons to have one. Maybe they want to send correspondence. Maybe they want to record their knowledge for following generations. Maybe they think language is pretty neat. Maybe they like to have another form of communication besides telepathy. There are a lot of things we don't need, but we like to have them anyway.

2. When it comes to what's allowed in a description, if it reasonably doesn't go against the facts about the setting, it's acceptable. Making Stuff Up is allowed to a certain degree. Saying so-and-so uses a draconic language is fine because even if you're not sure it exists, can you imagine it believably existing somewhere on this big, wide world? However, if the description stated that draconic is spoken across Galsreim as a matter of fact, that would be overpowered. There are boundaries to stay within, but since a user-submitted description is non-canon, we have a lot of freedom to write what we want. There's a practicality thing, too. If you follow only what's said on breed pages, in the encyclopedia, and on the AMA, you'll have to reject a LOT of descriptions on the basis that they may not be canon. No fun. Actually, any description that contains things that may or may not exist on Valkemare is all of them. Descriptions are like Dragon Cave fanfic starring only OCs.

Edit: Welp, TJ gave a far less wordy answer.

Edited by dirtytabs

Ok, I've had a description rejected and I'm not sure what is wrong with it. I've written others like it in the past and they've been approved. Can anyone give me some tips?

Hernaealda quickly grew into one of the clan's most dangerous dragons. Not only can she fiercely wield the dual elements at her command, but the huge growth of crystals at the end of her tail makes an effective hammer. Many an opponent has been simultaneously burned, frozen and smashed.

Dragon in question

For reference, these are the comments made:

Reject: ..."simultaneously"? I'm curious to know how you smash someone while also burning/freezing them...

Moderator Reject: This is not a sufficient description. Read descrip guidelines before resubmitting. See Description Comments or Description Force threads on forum for help!

Reject: Please make it longer!

For the first comment, I would argue that as a magical creature, already pointed out in the main description, that they would use magic to burn and freeze their opponent while hitting them with their tail 'hammer' as mentioned in my own description. I thought that would be fairly obvious?

For the last comment, there is no minimum description length as far as I am aware, plus I've had much shorter ones accepted in the past. Not a very helpful comment.

So it's the Moderator comment I am stuggling with. I thought I had met the guidelines. Hernaealda is not overpowered, merely one of the strongest dragons on my scroll/in the clan. The description describes her fighting style and gives an idea into what her personality is like (she likes hitting things), which matches her breed's bio.

Without turning Hernaealda 's description into a full essay (I have a lot of dragons and I like writing descriptions for fun, I don't want to turn it into a chore slog), what do I do?

Honestly, it looks fine to me. I do agree with the first comment that the last sentence is a bit confusing, but description-wise, it does tell me about the dragon (a fierce and capable warrior who is skilled in magic), so I personally don't think the length should be an issue. ^^;;

And for the last sentence, I think that could be cleared up by something like "both burned and frozen, as well as smashed" rather than using simultaneously.

Thank you Socky. I've made the suggested edit. Let's hope it passes this time smile.gif

This description has been approved but I've resubmitted it because the mod changed it in a way that messed up the poem metre.

Namely, these two stanzas:

Her heart is broken, far away from home

From the turnip fields she used to know

Her heart has broke; into shimmering pieces.

To be repaired by one love in life alone

The mod changed broke to broken, which altered a patten in the poem that I really wanted to keep. I can change it if I really have to, but if broke instead of broken isn't a massive issue, can it stay that way?

This description has been approved but I've resubmitted it because the mod changed it in a way that messed up the poem metre.

Namely, these two stanzas:

Her heart is broken, far away from home

From the turnip fields she used to know

Her heart has broke; into shimmering pieces.

To be repaired by one love in life alone

The mod changed broke to broken, which altered a patten in the poem that I really wanted to keep. I can change it if I really have to, but if broke instead of broken isn't a massive issue, can it stay that way?

I saw this afterwards, and if you want to resubmit it and have it be grammatically incorrect, that's fine. My bad.

Also we're down into the 1,000s. Not very long until I hit the bottom. smile.gif

@Fortune86, I have no idea why I rejected it. It may have been an oversight. You can resubmit it if you'd like. Looks like I already have. (Or someone else did).

Usually when I paste that copypasta creation is when the description has a negative rating (I usually skim it if it does, and a lot of the time it has comments already), someone uses first person, someone goes against the breed description, etc. But I may have made a mistake from moving too quickly. Wouldn't be the first time. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Earth Gurl

Oooh oooh here's the description queue graph thingy:

user posted image

Here from over 14,000. Amazing work.

Oooh oooh here's the description queue graph thingy:

user posted image

Here from over 14,000. Amazing work.

Where are ya'll finding this? I'm seriously too dumb to figure out where ya'll are getting this graph from. xd.png

Also lol @ exam week. Ya'll write descriptions so fast. I'm so pumped to hit the bottom!

Where are ya'll finding this? I'm seriously too dumb to figure out where ya'll are getting this graph from.  xd.png

Also lol @ exam week. Ya'll write descriptions so fast. I'm so pumped to hit the bottom!

That's amazing. All I have to say about it.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post. Oh well, I was talking about the graph.

Edited by solarflare3000