Shadlok

Lineage view change

Do you like this  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Am going to have to add my useless wail of "Don't like it want it back the way it was!" so it can be ignored too.

Just sayin'

I don't really have a problem with the new lineage view. I got used to it by now.

Fair enough. I think it's a lot harder to get used to the change when you've been working on building or collecting even-gen lineages for years.

Looking at your scroll, you seem to like shiny prize dragons and prize-fails, CBs, Thuweds, and you have a handful of 2nd and 3rd-gen EGs. I eventually found a 5th-gen EG, but it seems like overall, you aren't very interested in even-gens.

Which is totally fine. I only hope that, since so many people *are* so invested in their long even-gen lineages, the people who don't care much either way are willing to support a return to the classic view, for the sake of those players who care very deeply.

I still dislike it, but I don't utterly despise it like I used to when it was first implemented. That might be because I don't really make EGs, as I collect low-gen Prizes, 2nd/3rd gen Prize-fails, CBs and such. It does annoy me how my Turp line and inbred line look now, as those are the only EGs I've made and now they just look silly D:<

I don't mind but not sure I like it on even gens. Most of the time in even gen lineages its only the 1st/CBs that are longer and it changes the look of a lovely even gen line. Thats my only snag.

I don't mind but not sure I like it on even gens. Most of the time in even gen lineages its only the 1st/CBs that are longer and it changes the look of a lovely even gen line. Thats my only snag.

Agreed. I think most of us wouldn't care if it were only the messies that had the new view. The big problem is that it makes the even gens look painfully awkward.

It is ONLY the first gen that have the names to the right - it isn't THAT bad....

It is ONLY the first gen that have the names to the right - it isn't THAT bad....

To a lot of us, it really is. sad.gif That's why we want OPTIONS: so that people who don't mind it can use whichever view they like, and so that the rest of us can have our pretty even gens back.

For me, it IS that bad. It's not just the name placement, it's the lack of uniformity as well that bugs me. I am OCD about things being visibly "even". My whole foundation (the whole first generation, consisting of discontinued dragons) for this lineage was the most important. And it's the one that's affected by this change the most.

More than anything, it's just been the overall "Oh, you've worked several years on that lineage and now it looks completely different than before, and you don't like it? Tough" that bugs me most.

That's the problem, it makes the 1st gens look like they don't belong to the rest of the lineage.

(Of course with the time that has passed, my brain has learned to "translate" the new view and is not as confused anymore as it was in the beginning, but that doesn't mean the new view suddenly looks good for me.)

For me, it IS that bad. It's not just the name placement, it's the lack of uniformity as well that bugs me.

Yes. This. I don't care where the name placement is, I just want things to look consistent in my lineages. Now in EGs, even in purebreds of breeds without dimorphism (so, lineages that should look completely even and same-y) the base line sticks out and looks like it doesn't belong with the rest of the lineage. It's only even more pronounced when it's things like checkers or in a lineage where the first generation has retired/holidays/etc.

To a lot of us, it really is. sad.gif That's why we want OPTIONS: so that people who don't mind it can use whichever view they like, and so that the rest of us can have our pretty even gens back.

As usual, I agree with LibbyLishly.

This has taken the point out of even-gens - a major part of the game for many - for a lot of us...

It's only even more pronounced when it's things like checkers or in a lineage where the first generation has retired/holidays/etc.

Exactly.

Nothing changed yet I see. You know this has ruined DC for me. So much so that I didn't even bother with this months new release, I just couldn't see the point in it. For a game that's kept my interest for so many years it's a real shame.

Nothing changed yet I see. You know this has ruined DC for me. So much so that I didn't even bother with this months new release, I just couldn't see the point in it. For a game that's kept my interest for so many years it's a real shame.

To see great players like you lose interest over this issue is really heartbreaking.

Please, TJ?

To see great players like you lose interest over this issue is really heartbreaking.

Please, TJ?

Ditto that.

I don't understand the reasoning behind *not* changing back to the classic view, at this point. Unless the reasoning is "I'm the boss and I refuse to give you the option you prefer because I shouldn't have to compromise, and how presumptuous of you to ask me to!" I really, really HOPE that's not the reasoning.

At this point, though, there's not much to suggest it's anything else.

The change is *only* affecting even-gen lineages, yet the reasoning given for changing the lineage view is to make lineages less "messy" and more intuitively understandable. In the Suggestions thread, TJ pointed out that two of the main things people want to see in a lineage are based in the earliest ancestral generation, so an ideal lineage view would focus on them more. Many players have pointed out that their ideal view is the one we already had, because years of lineages were based specifically on that view. Plus, the old view showcased the base generation much better than the new one. 67%+ of interested forum players have voiced their preference for the old view. A lot of the neutral opinions come from people who don't take any interest in the lineage view anyway, old or new.

So WHY not change back to the classic view? Why not at least communicate with the players who are so involved in this issue? By ignoring us for so long, even while responding to other suggestions and questions, I feel almost as if TJ is punishing us -- but for what? Requesting a simple and easy change that we feel strongly about? Questioning him? Not just quietly accepting anything he wants to do with the game, no matter what?

The way this is being handled (or not handled) is just distressingly unprofessional and inconsiderate. At this point, if I leave the game, it won't just be due to the view change, but to the way the creator treats the players.

I don't understad the reason for the change at all.

Like, I liked the old way it was done. For years i had that to rely on. If you're going to change something, why not use the Suggestions forum with your bucketload of suggestions? You have NEVER once implemented a suggestion from the suggestion thread. In years. Ever. Every change you have EVER made had been completely arbitrary, and it's disgusting.

I don't understad the reason for the change at all.

Like, I liked the old way it was done. For years i had that to rely on. If you're going to change something, why not use the Suggestions forum with your bucketload of suggestions? You have NEVER once implemented a suggestion from the suggestion thread. In years. Ever. Every change you have EVER made had been completely arbitrary, and it's disgusting.

Totally agree, what's the point of the suggestions section if TJ doesn't even care, the least he could do is make a post and acknowledge that we are not happy!

It's horrible.

I'm a huge fan of even gens and this really is ugly.

It's another change that to my mind was neither wanted nor needed sad.gif

I really wish TJ would at the very least give us the option to view it as it used to be.

You've got to see this from a different angle: TJ is just not here.

So while he screwed over the EG population with his changes, nothing else gets answered or changed. For the last year, his site activity has been - shall we just say "not sufficient". Without a replacement admin or coder, thats just insane.

I found an amazing marketing article that so simply makes the points I've been trying to say but I say them very poorly. Here is the link. Warning: Its Simple, but its business: http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/what...ewership-152443

The point is, with any graphical change, there is going to be financial impacts. The two are tied. I totally get why TJ would potentially want a "family tree" or pedigree listing like they would for any High Bred Animal, and I still think there should be an option to see pretty lineages.

I want TJ to have a business from this game that allows him to afford to live, potentially hire other people (even only for short term products), invest in sometimes risky decisions to keep the game fresh and ahead of the others, and all sorts of things. People seemed to be worried about all their donations only paying for equipment or servers or other things. And I'm ok with that. But I don't want this game to be just a side hobby. I want it to be a crucial part of TJ's overall business plans under the umbrella of everything he does.

And yes, I cannot untie the Marketing/Business Return on Investment aspect of any web page design because I deal with Omnichannel all day long I just honestly see it as so critical. Especially with a Millennial Demographic.

And obviously, as an even gen pretty picture lover, I still want an option to view those too. But I understand that there is more to the implications than just is the picture pretty or not.

I hope that helps why I keep going back to that subject. When I am in business for my self or consulting with others, those are naturally some of my top priorities. always.

Edited by natayah

So...no new developments, I take it? sad.gif

Re: the above, I understand the idea of occasionally needing to rearrange visuals for advertising purposes, but that's not really what's going on with the lineage page at the present time.

Reverted! Future changes pending eventually.

I'm glad that it's been restored, but I'd be lying if I said that last bit didn't worry me. However, hopefully if more changes *are* implemented, they'll take into account how people view and use lineages more...