Snowytoshi

Vegetarianism/ Veganism

And you get all these "kids foods" and parents think they are great - after all, they are made for kids, right ? But they AREN'T great - they are way hight in salt and sugar, never mind noxious additives (in fact that may be another plus for veggies, as a lot of them also contain animal ingredients !) And don't start me on how kids are allowed to be picky about their food in ways that they were NOT when my two were growing up. And between meals unhealthy snacks, and... Basically - children of all sorts are eating more and more unhealthily for a lot of reasons, and I think on the whole veggie parents are more diet-aware, simply because they have thought about it while making their own decisions. Omnivores just follow the path they were always on....

And it really is no harder to have a balanced veggie diet than to have a balanced omnivore one. The trick is simply variety.

I don't think parents really understand that they're setting their children up for things like diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure by buying those things consistently. And it doesn't help that parents seem to be becoming less and less involved with their children's lives. :c Also the overprocessing of food doesn't really help. >w>

The problem with produce these days is pesticides. Plants can also absorb heavy metals like cadmium as well as other toxins from the soils and fertilizers around them I read a very interesting book titled Fateful Harvest that detailed a townswoman's quest to try and stop things like fly ash (which often, if not always, contain toxic metals like cadmium) mixed with some nutrients from becoming fertilizer because those toxins can be absorbed by plants and transferred to people upon consumption.

I will concede the point of unhealthy snacks, but if children are going to be raised on the standard "three meals a day" thing, they do need to have snacks between. It's healthier for the metabolism to actually have 6-7 small meals spaced throughout the day instead of three huge meals far apart because it helps keep your metabolism steady all day. :3

More on topic -

I am more a carnivore than an omnivore. I am a picky eater and I have insanely strong tastes for bitterness, which is basically the entire reason I don't like vegetables (and regarding cooked ones, unfortunately that raises a texture issue, especially for leafy greens that wilt and other things that get...soggy and mushy c.c). I do like tomatoes as long as the innards are scraped out (texture issues) and some others (carrots are a favorite, I love eating them raw!). So it's not so much that I'm a hugely picky eater, I'm just very peculiar with how it needs to be prepared.

I tend to prefer poultry to all other meat because it tastes better to me. I don't eat a lot of red meat (and when I do I try very hard to get it as lean as possible) because it's very fatty and heavy. >_< I also like fish, especially tuna, salmon, and tilapia.

I couldn't go vegetarian for those reasons but I don't mind those who do, that's their choice. Same for vegans. The only problem arises when they try to convert me, because it's not gonna happen. |D

I just don't quite understand why being an omnivore is so hard. All the vegetarians and vegans I've met are happy to let everyone choose their own diets.

It's not usually so hard for me; even when I live at home I'm usually in charge of my own meals and restaurants usually have at least one thing I'll eat.

For me it's more that it's hard to find organic things, not to mention finding them at a semi-reasonable price. :/ I buy organic milk at 4 and 5 bucks a half gallon.

I like organic stuff - I think it tastes better and there's less of a/no chance of random hormones and antibiotics getting into my system, which is what really bothers me about the factory farming industry (as well as sanitation issues which can carry into food c.c).

Sparkle, move to California. Just about every fast food and restaurant chain here have selections for vegetarians. Sometimes that's all I'm in the mood for and I never fear going out to eat.

It's their choice, I personally wouldn't become one because I love meat way too much, so it is kind of irritating when they try to push me to become one.

I know that vegetarians here in the cave probably wouldn't do this, but I do have to say, I think it's far more common that vegans and vegetarians get on carnivore and omnivores' cases about eating meat, than the opposite.

Just saying. I don't care what a person eats. I like meat. My sis in law is vegan. When we go out to dinner together, we get what we each want and focus on us, not whats on the plate.

Edited by Riverwillows

Well here in the US it is hard. No need to apologize; I don't choose my countries dishes.

OK I won't apologise for saying I do get to the US from time to time and we haven't had any trouble at all. Mostly Ohio, lately, but we have been to many other states too.

Falafels were particularly easy to find.

I'm not a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean I approve of the ways animals are tortured for their meat. Sadly, I don't really know any ways to slowly becoming a vegetarian because I've honestly wanted to convert to one, but I'd sort of feel some what of a hypocrite if I'd just become one after eating meat for about 19 years of my life. I give a big thumbs up to those of you who are vegans/vegetarians, I look up to people like you!

ps. One big thing I'm completely and utterly against is animal testing, I've done the most that I've can to find products in which aren't tested on animals, from make-up, to hygienic, hair and cleaning products. It sickens me the cruel things humans can do to defenseless animals.

ps. One big thing I'm completely and utterly against is animal testing, I've done the most that I've can to find products in which aren't tested on animals, from make-up, to hygienic, hair and cleaning products. It sickens me the cruel things humans can do to defenseless animals.

I agree for those industries. Medical, however is a different story.

So... I guess I should probably weigh in, here?

For starters, I think that anyone with the resolve to stick to such a lifestyle are likely doing some good for the world regardless of the objective validity of their choices; thinking carefully before acting is something that more people should do, especially when it comes to what we eat and what we do with and to other living things.

That said, I still do have a few qualms with the rigidity of the Vegan philosophy. Specifically, how it tends to make no distinction between animal products that are taken, and animal products that are given. For example, a pet chicken will still lay infertile eggs that would otherwise go completely unused by the animal, yet a vegan could not condone the consumption of such eggs despite the overall negative impact of doing so being basically non-existent.

What's more worrisome, I've known vegans who've made adaptations to their own lifestyles to avoid this sort of wasteful behaviour, only to be berated by other vegans for being "fake". Humans are animals, too, yet there remains a distinct lack of compassion between the various groups, and acceptance is still a very important part of motivating people to follow the lifestyle even if those following it are making baby steps.

When it comes down to it, I'd say avid meat-eaters and vegans are equal extremes, one with an unfortunate dispassion toward animals, and one with an unfortunate predisposition for dispassion toward other humans, while devoted vegetarianism seems to be much more balanced and accommodating for just about any perspective; I've never known a vegetarian to be anything less than accepting for others' dietary choices.

Edited by Aedir

I'm not a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean I approve of the ways animals are tortured for their meat. Sadly, I don't really know any ways to slowly becoming a vegetarian because I've honestly wanted to convert to one, but I'd sort of feel some what of a hypocrite if I'd just become one after eating meat for about 19 years of my life. I give a big thumbs up to those of you who are vegans/vegetarians, I look up to people like you!

I must comment that my parents both became vegetarians as adults, after slowly transitioning through their late teens. I also know several people who are tansitioning right now wink.gif If you want to do it I'd say go for it!

Of course if you don't want to you don't have to, just commenting that there are ways...

I'm a vegetarian, always have been, probably always will be. I manage to eat well like this getting the kinda vitamins and minerals you usually get from meat from other things, B vitamins from marmite/yeast extract for example.

People who eat meat don't bother me and to be brutally honest I'm on the pescatarian side of vegetarianism, eating fish on occasion but still no meat.

I'm annoyed that the food industry uses a lot of caged chickens, "past their fastest" racehorses and maltreated cows/pigs for meat but there's nothing really I can do about it.

The main reason I never want to eat meat is that I was raised without it and due to that the sight of it rather puts me off. I just don't see the appeal of a slice of flesh because I wasn't brought up eating it like most people are.

To put it in perspective imagine going to a foreign country and seeing an unusual to you dish like Sheeps brain fried in goats blood, it may be commonplace to some people because they were brought up on it, yet you have little desire to try it.

I'm a vegan because of the factory farm industry...I'm confused about why everyone is so indifferent to it, even when they're aware of it.

I'm a vegan because of the factory farm industry...I'm confused about why everyone is so indifferent to it, even when they're aware of it.

just a reminder that factory farming isn't just for animal farming, it's done for vegetables as well, and sometimes it's more horrific, like how people use child labor to farm vegetables in parts of the U.S

http://www.hrw.org/support-care

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/17/opinion/...ild-farm-labor/

So I think the alternative to factory farming isn't going vegetarian per se but trying to encourage local farming.

Because I also care about migrant worker rights and I dislike helping in food trends that drive the prices up on foods that traditionally have been a cheaper staple for lower income people (eg quinoa, collards, pig snouts). There are issues we should all be aware of with any diet - both things I mentioned are issues with any diet. I am critical, but I think there's a balance and there is a way to eat meat and still be critical of these issues (including factory farming) and hope to contribute to a solution. It is part of why I support researching into GMO foods. I thought I had a link on the research I supported but can't find it right now. Maybe when I am on an actual computer. D:

Veganism/vegetarianism isn't available to everyone due to medical issues, dietary restrictions, and economic standing/capitalism, as well. But you made a good choice for you, and that is something to be proud of. My sister is a vegetarian who tried going vegan, but she is still a dependent and there is not many choices for vegans where we live. If you have a good site for vegan recipes or anything, we would love to hear them. No one in my family minds trying them. =)

Have you ever heard of the cookbook "Betty Goes Vegan"? It has a ton of Betty Crocker recipes veganized. It's available for purchase on Amazon as well as many vegan sites. You can also find some of the recipes online.

Just thought you might be interested smile.gif

I am an omnivore. I've watched countless videos on how animals are treated in factories but, to be completely honest, I still want a hamburger or some bacon afterwards. Does that make me bad? No, I think there are ways in which animals could be treated better. But it isn't going to stop me from eating meat. I am not indifferent to the factory farm industry. But knowing about it isn't going to stop me from eating meat.

In the defense of the factory farm industry, nature is cruel to prey animals and some species are known to kill when they do not need food and even play with animals before they die.

I give many kudos to those who are able to go vegetarian/vegan (personally I cannot, for various health/living reasons, though I do plan on buying more locally when I have the means to).

However, the instant I see posts like this one and this one, I lose all respect. (Be warned, there might be language in there)

I love meat more than I love vegetables, but I won't judge anyone for being a vegetarian or a vegan. As long as they don't try to force their lifestyle on me.

Although it pisses me off when they try to force cats and dogs to eat vegetarian when they're natural carnivores...

In the defense of the factory farm industry, nature is cruel to prey animals and some species are known to kill when they do not need food and even play with animals before they die.

That's not really in defense of the industry though*, because massive factory farms are nothing like nature's trials and tribulations. Having 10 chickens crowded in a space the size of a piece of paper for a year, in complete darkness, surrounded by the stench of ammonia from rotting feces and corpses, open festering wounds, brittle-boned, over-stressed genetically unfit bodies that cannot support itself...

Err, point I'm trying to make is that nature itself is very rarely cruel unnecessarily, and nowhere near the levels of prolonged mental and physical torture that are seen in situations manipulated by human hands. A hawk may begin eating its food before it's dead and shark may let its prey bleed to death before eating, but it's always out of the interest to survive. Most animals who do play with their food before eating it are doing so to practice their technique or teach their young too, so even that has grounds in nature's logic. The cruel conditions of some factory farms are not a necessity of survival so much as it is greed, lack of education, and lack of care.

I'll argue that cats, especially the house cat variety, are often well fed and do not have young. My neighbors had a cat that would go out into the field after being fed and hunt mice. But instead of killing them, it would smother them until they nearly died before simply tossing them about like ragdolls. It often took over ten minutes for the poor guys to die. And, when they finally died, it just left them there and never ate them.

At least factory farms have the exist with the intent of eating the creatures they kill. Otherwise, they'd go out of business quite quickly.

I love meat more than I love vegetables, but I won't judge anyone for being a vegetarian or a vegan. As long as they don't try to force their lifestyle on me.

I think I may have posted this same thing before. I agree you want to eat what you like, that's fine. Go right ahead, but do not tell me the way I am eating is wrong or any other thing you can think of. I am not forcing my way of life on you don't do the same to me.

I'll argue that cats, especially the house cat variety, are often well fed and do not have young. My neighbors had a cat that would go out into the field after being fed and hunt mice. But instead of killing them, it would smother them until they nearly died before simply tossing them about like ragdolls. It often took over ten minutes for the poor guys to die. And, when they finally died, it just left them there and never ate them.

At least factory farms have the exist with the intent of eating the creatures they kill. Otherwise, they'd go out of business quite quickly.

That's just their nature, you can't help that. Orca whales do the same thing to seals

I love meat and that'll never change, however I buy organic when I can because I do love animals at the same time and never get the brands that keep their animals in manure meat factories.

Cats are obligate carnivores and lack the physiology to digest vegetation. Arguably forcing your cat on a non-meat diet is even more dangerous than forcing that on a dog. (Sorry if I misunderstood your first statements. I must have missed what exactly you were referring to.)

I would like to second Nine's post on hunting for fun. Also Nine's point on education and greed. And GhostChili's point on animal nature vs. our greed and laziness. End intent doesn't justify the treatment factory farms may put animals through. You make the argument that at least factory farms intend to sell the meat for eating but how many years of suffering do you think those animals went through vs. that mouse's ten minutes?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

However, the instant I see posts like this one and this one, I lose all respect. (Be warned, there might be language in there)

Argh, reading those just made me really angry at those pet owners. Really, the pet is far different from a person and its health is so important. D:

@ylangylang: Yeah, I agree about the local farms for not only the animal reasons but also the child labor and such. Vegetarianism/veganism definitely doesn't solve all the problems, but it does make me feel better for what I can do. It's limited, but it's something. :/

Personally I'm a vegetarian because when I was very young I learned about the factory farming and treatment of the animals, and being an avid animal lover that didn't sit well with me. I will eat seafood sometimes, so many consider me a pescatarian and I wouldn't disagree. I don't always feel good about it because there's problems with the fishing industry too, but I mainly eat seafood because my mom told me that she wasn't going to go to the trouble of cooking completely different meals all the time. So I agreed to be flexible. Now that I'm in college and don't rely on her, I very rarely eat fish unless I'm visiting home. It's been about 7 years now and on the few times when I've accidentally eaten red meat without realizing it until afterwards, I've gotten very sick even though others who ate it didn't. I don't know if that's an effect of going so long without it or what.

I do believe that it's natural for humans to eat animals; there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And animals can be cruel to each other (felines come to mind). But I tend to feel like the factory farms and slaughterhouses lack the respect/care I want humans to give to animals they're responsible for (same goes for the pet owner thing above). I support more local farms than the big brands, though I've lost any desire to eat meat so I wouldn't nom a burger even if it's organic or came from a place whose methods I approve of (plus the sickness thing now).

A vegan asked me the other day what I thought about veganism and I basically said "Whatever you choose, more power to you." Anyway, my point is that vegetarianism/veganism works for some people but not others, and there's nothing wrong with either diet as long as you make sure you're getting nutrients and such. It's extremists on both end that frustrate me, though vegan extremists bother me more because they give a bad impression of all vegetarians/vegans. Shaming omnivores is just ridiculous IMO. Just because they eat meat doesn't mean they're indifferent.

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry that this is so long. D: I don't usually come into serious discussions because I'm wordy and a very nervous person. I've rewritten this like 10 times. *hides*

tl;dr: There's nothing wrong with eating meat or not eating it, and personal dietary choices are choices so don't force it on others or try and shame them.

I have honestly considered becoming a vegetarian simply because of hot dogs (Not actually just hot dogs, just things like that in general) I have to try exceedingly hard to not think about what could be in them when I eat them (which I'd rather not most of the time) They taste fine imo, but the thought of what they actually are makes me want to vomit. I just really don't think I could do it. I love stuff like hamburgers and stuff, even if they're gross too. I definitely couldn't go without seafood, I love seafood. Seafood and rice, I could probubbly live on those (Sadly, the only seafood cheap enough for us to afford is canned tuna, so I'd likely starve if that was all I ate. I pretty much can't stand most of the dishes my mother prepares, aside from a few which generally have meat) I also actually find sugar cereals to be equally disgusting as hot dogs (seriously, they're practically solid sugar, bleagh)

That's just their nature, you can't help that. Orca whales do the same thing to seals

I love meat and that'll never change, however I buy organic when I can because I do love animals at the same time and never get the brands that keep their animals in manure meat factories.

Looking at humanity in general, one could argue that we have similar natures, then. If nature justifies cats and orcas, would it also justify the factories?

Now, I'm not saying I support what the factories are doing. But I'm also not going to swear off of meat because of it and the hypocrisy behind removing humans from nature when nature can be cruel as well is silly.

I'm not trying to force my cat on a vegetarian diet, I'm just pointing out that cruelty for no apparent reason is not limited to humans. And remember, humans are animals too.