Snowytoshi

Vegetarianism/ Veganism

For people who don't want to eat meat because they don't like killing animals:

We're the top of the food chain, it's sort of our duty to kill and eat a number of animals for our own benefit (food). The problem starts when China, India and other high population countries (including America) eat so many animals that entire ecosystems are thrown out of balance, it's population control that's the problem, not the humanity of killing animals. Wasting is the problem!

"Duty"? No. It is not our duty to eat animals. We have choices. Humans have evolved over time, and so has the food chain. Many, many years ago everyone ate animals. But everyone also lived in caves, didn't know how to write, etc.

Edited by sparkle10184

Once again, here are my views on vegetarianism/veganism.

1. I have no issue with anyone choosing to be vegetarian or vegan. I understand the choice, and I am all for people making a choice for their own diet.

2. I have no problem with people raising their children on healthy, balanced vegetarian or vegan diets with routine blood and vitamin testing.

3. I do have a problem with vegan parents or vegetarian parents who put their own morals above their child's welfare. I myself when I was a baby required a disgusting mix of meat and rice milk because I was allergic to every formula on the market at the time. More recently, as my wife mentioned, I had the displeasure of removing a child from a loving vegan household, because they refused to feed their daughter anything animal based, even though it was medically necessary because her liver was unable to produce cholesterol on her own. This is not the first time I've had to take a happy child away from loving parents because of militant veganism, but I hope it's the last.

4. I do not support factory farming or processing of animals or plants. I realise at least some factory farming is necessary to keep humanity going at this point in time, but I do not have to support it with my money.

5. I could never be vegetarian unless it was for a clear medical reason, because my culture believes it is harmful to a person's spirit, even if they are physically healthy.

shiney-tomato that must have been very hard to have had to do. I hope that in time her or his family will understand and give the child the diet they need to grow up healthy and let them choose their preferred diet patterns.

edit: although I question them for forcing their morals over their child's well-being. As loving as they may be, that's just not right.

Edited by Starscream

5. I could never be vegetarian unless it was for a clear medical reason, because my culture believes it is harmful to a person's spirit, even if they are physically healthy.

Curious if there's a cultural explanation and would you mind saying the culture? I'd love to learn more about that.

I have a lot of respect for people who can choose to abstain from eating meat. However, I do NOT respect those who feel the need to go around telling everyone else they're sick monsters for eating meat.

This. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan myself, but my mom has been encouraging me to become a vegetarian ._. I can't give up meat though >.<

Curious if there's a cultural explanation and would you mind saying the culture? I'd love to learn more about that.

I'm Romani, to be exact, Carpathian and Kalderash with some Vlax in there.

To us, the spirit/essence/energy of everything is very important, and farmed meat in general (factory or not) is seen as diminishing that -- while many do take a less stringent view on it because of the inaccessibility to non-farmed meat for those a) below the poverty line or cool.gif don't settle, it's sort of like eating bread versus eating a full meal. You don't get as much out of it. It's also seen as disrespectful to the animal.

With vegetables it's very much the same. If something has to be actively farmed and cannot be found wild, the best case scenario is that you or someone you know do it, not buying it out of the bag at the supermarket. Again, not to do so is basically insulting to what you're trying to take in as nourishment.

But also, for us, eating solely meat or solely vegetables is kind of the equivalent of potato chips. It might be yummy, but it's bad for you on an energetic/spiritual/whatever level.

I have a lot of respect for people who can choose to abstain from eating meat. However, I do NOT respect those who feel the need to go around telling everyone else they're sick monsters for eating meat.

This sums my thoughts up perfectly.

For various reasons, I honestly would likely starve without being able to eat meat. It's just how it goes.

But for people who want to/need to be vegetarian or vegan, I think that's awesome that they're able to do that, and more power to ya for being able to!

Just don't insult me for liking meat, and we'll get along just fine~

I love meat. Many kinds. Beef, poultry, Ostrich, lamb, pork....but there are times when I'll go a whole day with veggies, salads, green onions and ranch for a snack, veggie lasagna for dinner...

It just depends on my mood. Both are good. But I'd never have a problem with a vegan or vegetarian. As long as they don't comment on my steak. lol.

I hope no one takes offense, but I have noticed that many omnivores post here saying that they have no problem with vegetarians, just so long as they don't comment on their diet. I was just wondering how many omnivores have felt harassed because of their diet because it's not a common predujice in the vegetarian community. Most of us don't care what you eat, so I was wondering is this is a widespread belief? Is there actually such a danger of your diet being critisized that you must state that you don't want anyone doing that?

Being an omnivore is far more accepted in our society then vegetarian or veganism is. Omnivores do not have to worry about if there will be something to eat beyond a wilted salad at a restaraunt, party, or at school.

Again I don't mean to be rude and this is not aimed at anyone. I understand the need to feel safe in your dietary choices, it just confuses me in a way that I am having trouble articulating. Sorry for any offense and the lack of clarity/purpose in my post.

Is there actually such a danger of your diet being critisized that you must state that you don't want anyone doing that?

I can't speak for others, but I've gotten called a monster, a murderer, a bloodmouth, immoral, and many other things by people who are vegetarian or vegans.

So I can't speak for others, but yeah, I've been criticised and harrassed before.

The difference is, I know that's the annoying fringe of the vegetarian and vegan communities.

Omnivores do not have to worry about if there will be something to eat beyond a wilted salad at a restaraunt, party, or at school.

That depends on whether you have any other dietary issues or beliefs, like kashrut (the wife and kids), halal, gluten-free, lactose free (me), marime (also me).

I hope no one takes offense, but I have noticed that many omnivores post here saying that they have no problem with vegetarians, just so long as they don't comment on their diet. I was just wondering how many omnivores have felt harassed because of their diet because it's not a common predujice in the vegetarian community. Most of us don't care what you eat, so I was wondering is this is a widespread belief? Is there actually such a danger of your diet being critisized that you must state that you don't want anyone doing that?

Being an omnivore is far more accepted in our society then vegetarian or veganism is. Omnivores do not have to worry about if there will be something to eat beyond a wilted salad at a restaraunt, party, or at school.

Again I don't mean to be rude and this is not aimed at anyone. I understand the need to feel safe in your dietary choices, it just confuses me in a way that I am having trouble articulating. Sorry for any offense and the lack of clarity/purpose in my post.

In my experience, it's not a LARGE part of the vegetarian/vegan community, but it's a loud one. Kinda like how the WBC clearly doesn't accurately represent the vast majority of all religious people, but they're also a very widely-known group.

I personally haven't had anybody attack me, but I HAVE seen some very attacking comments from some of them.

I've also noticed it more vocally displayed on certain websites--Tumblr for the most part though I've seen some rather nasty commentary passed around from Facebook screenshots.

So, like I said, it's basically a vocal minority. They're the ones I have problems with, and they're the ones I'm gonna have trouble with if they go after me. The rest of you, though, are awesome and cool people.

I know most of you are the cool ones. :3

I've just seen some very nasty comments from the vocal, hateful part of the vegetarian and vegan communities. And those very nasty comments are why I feel the need to make sure people know that we will not get along if they're going to be really nasty about it.

Since I spend a lot of time on Tumblr, and Tumblr is where I see most of those nasty comments, it's just kinda become sort of second nature to me to say I don't care what people eat as long as they're not jerks to me about what I eat.

ETA: I actually like the whole "bloodmouth" thing. It makes me giggle and amuses me. I know it's supposed to be an insult, but I don't take offense to it at all.

Edited by KageSora

As I mentioned on my post a page back, one of my roommates last year would comment on me eating meat (calling it a "carcass," "dead animal," etc.). She was the first vegetarian I've ever met. And in my conservation biology class, a fair few of the students who identify as vegetarian/vegan have a very superior attitude about it. Not to mention the particularly extreme folks on places like Tumblr, they get up in arms about it and are quick to call people "bloodmouths" and "murderers."

I know that it's a smaller group of veggies that are like that (like kagesora said), I've got a vegetarian friend who doesn't give rat's caboose about what other people eat. But I don't blame omnivores who feel the need to make comments about their diets being criticized.

I don't blame veggies that feel the need to make that comment either though. wink.gif

I can't speak for others, but I've gotten called a monster, a murderer, a bloodmouth, immoral, and many other things by people who are vegetarian or vegans.

So I can't speak for others, but yeah, I've been criticised and harrassed before.

The difference is, I know that's the annoying fringe of the vegetarian and vegan communities.

That depends on whether you have any other dietary issues or beliefs, like kashrut (the wife and kids), halal, gluten-free, lactose free (me), marime (also me).

This is my experience as well. Maybe vegans/vegetarians get teased more often by omnivores, but it doesn't seem serious and the worst they seem to be called is the censored word equivalent to a wimp. That's not nearly as bad as being called a murderer, monster, etc.

Vegans/vegetarians seem to get more general flak usually from ignorant people, but some vegans/vegetarians are downright offensive, mean, and nasty when it comes to their opinions about those who eat meat. I've never seen an omnivore be as mean about vegan/vegetarianism as some vegans and vegetarians are about the diet of omnivores.

I haven't been but I don't usually visit topics like this. I stay away because I get far to annoyed with those extreme vegetarian/vegans.

The fact that the harassment can go both ways is probably why people state it like I did. If you say that you are not going to make comments to them hopefully they get the hint and keep any rude remarks to themselves.

Can't speak for everyone but that's why I said it. Long as you don't call me something over my choices I'm not going to do anything to you.

On that whole "bloodmouth" thing I keep thinking of it and I wonder just how many of them are into vampires? It really makes me curious if any of them that use that term towards a omnivore is. Kinda ironic if they are into vampires. :/

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Personally I am an omnivore, but I am a good friend with many vegans and vegetarians.

I do like discussing diet and food with them, (one of them makes some excellent vegan blueberry muffins).

We get along just fine since neither party ever sees the need to force it down the other's throat. Sure, like I said, we discuss things but we've never gotten violent or aggressive about it.

Unfortunately there are those one or two one both sides who have to go and shout and scream and rage.

Honestly, if someone can become vegan or vegatarian I do applaud you for your commitment to it.

As a few other have said - yes, it does happen. In my case I've not personally encountered it on the net, but I have personally encountered it in RL. That said, I am aware that such people are not the majority.

For me it's a bit like a religious debate. I'm not going to try and convert you, so I'd appreciate it if you don't try and convert me.

I will note that the majority of vegetarians/vegans I've known that try to 'convert' people almost invariably try and do it by starting discussions about how awful dairy farming is, or what they put into chicken nuggets. I don't like that either. If your sole reason for talking about something is because you think it will convince me to be vegetarian then, no, I do not wish to discuss it with you. (And, for the record, I have close ties with the local agricultural community and know the provenance of most cheese I eat. I also know exactly what goes into chicken nuggest, sausages, etc, and I'd still choose to eat them anyway. Really, if it tastes good who cares what bit of the animal it is?)

I have had it where I've had vegetarians try to guilt me about what I eat. I've usually returned in kind with the words "maybe plants dread harvest time too". since I do feel bad for having to kill a plant to eat it from time to time.

I have been told I am cruel to eat meat, which I reply it's a greater sin to waste it.

I believe once an animal has given its life to be consumed as food, that it should be eaten and its sacrifice is respected. I had to boil a lobster for one of my cooking classes. I hated this. I cried when I did. But my own moral code dictates "If I kill it I eat it" so I ate it, I enjoyed it and I also apologised to it for what I had to do.

I am not religious - I am spiritual.

But I tend to get rather offended if someone bad mouths me for my dietary choices, unless it's for example over eating pastries... dear primus those paqkzi(or however its spelled) doughnuts.

But in regards of having some sort of "disclaimer" to diet choices. Much like Tikindidragon said: "For me it's a bit like a religious debate. I'm not going to try and convert you, so I'd appreciate it if you don't try and convert me."

Edited by Starscream

Well, my sis was a vegetarian for about 6 years. My mom often made vegetarian dishes and most of it wasn't bad, some were good.

I also have a friend who's a vegan and I often ask what she eats as substitutes since I'm interested in it. I'd love to try some vegan food (it's hard to find it here).

Buuut, even though I'd love to try it, I can't say no to meat. I just like it. I am aware of the fact that people eat too much of it than they should. I thought that a portion of meat per day shouldn't be bigger than 100 grammes.

As for the thing about respect, I've rarely met vegetarians that try to convince me not to eat meat. Why would they even care what I eat?

As for the thing about respect, I've rarely met vegetarians that try to convince me not to eat meat. Why would they even care what I eat?

Some vegans/vegetarians have strong opinions against anyone eating meat because they don't believe we should have to kill animals for food if we don't need to. To them, eating meat is equal to how pro-lifers feel about abortion, in that it's an unnecessary death and anyone who eats meat is a monster and a murderer.

I'd like to be the kind of vegan that doesn't even eat root plants like potatoes or onions because you have to kill the plant in order to eat it instead of just harvesting parts of it without killing it. I'm not really sure what that kind of vegan would be called, only that it shows up in the jain religion a lot. I have no will power to do so, though, as all of my favorite foods contain dairy. I could probably cut out meat pretty easy though since I barely eat it as it is.

Many omnivores in this thread have said that lots of vegetarians try to convert them and that it's hard to feel safe with their dietary choices because of vegans and vegetarians. I just wanted to say this:

It's actually very hard to be a vegetarian. Imagine going to a restaurant and thinking "Will there be anything for me to eat?" or even at school!

I just don't quite understand why being an omnivore is so hard. All the vegetarians and vegans I've met are happy to let everyone choose their own diets.

EDIT: I hope I didn't offend anyone!

Edited by sparkle10184

Many omnivores in this thread have said that lots of vegetarians try to convert them and that it's hard to feel safe with their dietary choices because of vegans and vegetarians. I just wanted to say this:

It's actually very hard to be a vegetarian. Imagine going to a restaurant and thinking "Will there be anything for me to eat?" or even at school!

I just don't quite understand why being an omnivore is so hard. All the vegetarians and vegans I've met are happy to let everyone choose their own diets.

EDIT: I hope I didn't offend anyone!

Sorry but it isn't hard at all - except in one or two countries - notably Norway ! We go to restaurants all the time and there are always lovely veggie options. Indian restaurants are particularly good on this - veggie curries and biryanis.... And for veggies (as opposed to vegans) there are omelettes and cheese dishes and...

And yet I face the same thing as an omnivore. I am a very picky eater(trying to change, but it is hard), and often my dietary choices limit what I can get at restaurants, and there are a few restaurants that there has been nothing I would want to eat. And yes, unless you have an allergy, your dietary choice is as much a choice as mine.

Sorry but it isn't hard at all - except in one or two countries - notably Norway ! We go to restaurants all the time and there are always lovely veggie options. Indian restaurants are particularly good on this - veggie curries and biryanis.... And for veggies (as opposed to vegans) there are omelettes and cheese dishes and...

Well here in the US it is hard. No need to apologize; I don't choose my countries dishes.

Usually, if we get meat we kill ourselves it's venison. And the reason we have it is because they were in the garden again, eatting the tops out of the kiwi vines and taking 1 bite out of every. single. cantalope.

So, my statement to a militant vegan would probably be along the lines of, I'll stop eatting the deer when they stop eatting my garden.

@all who replied to me (sorry quoting each of you is a bit tedious)

First I wasn't trying to discount anyone's feelings and I'm aware that harassment will appear no matter what group you fall under. However in the case of an omnivore with little to no dietary restrictions, you will only receive harassment from extremists, you will always have multiple things that you can eat, etc.

When I tried to request more options at my school, one teacher told me 'that it's better then other places' like I should just be thankful for what I get. People view it as a joke to tease us with bacon (fine between friends who are aware of boundaries) or say that is immoral to be a vegetarian or that is unhealthy. All of these things are 'accepted' and not taken seriously.