Snowytoshi

Vegetarianism/ Veganism

Vegans don't eat animals products, and try to avoid it as much as possible.

When I was vegan, this meant no dairy, eggs, honey, lollies (gelatin), anything with anything derived from animals.

Beside the health fad vegans, it also means avoiding products tested on animals, wool, leather, feathers...

I think vegetarians generally tend to stay away from gelatin (I know I do!) because it isn't like milk or honey, it actually is part of the animal. The animal must be killed to get it.

I think vegetarians generally tend to stay away from gelatin (I know I do!) because it isn't like milk or honey, it actually is part of the animal. The animal must be killed to get it.

If you think that way, are you equally careful with rennet?

My sister is a vegetarian and gelatin is in so many things. I never knew before she stopped drinking fruit juice and stuff.

Okay so what's the difference between the two then? I apparently have it backwards from my understanding of it. >_<

Because vegetarians/vegans care about animals to the extent that they'll campaign about it.

If you think that way, are you equally careful with rennet?

My sister is a vegetarian and gelatin is in so many things. I never knew before she stopped drinking fruit juice and stuff.

Yup :3

I eat pretty healthy so gelatin isn't a huge problem. Most of the stuff I get is like health-food so it doesn't have gelatin. (healthy food can have gelatin but it's usually more in junk)

Because vegetarians/vegans care about animals to the extent that they'll campaign about it.

Wait, I'm confused how this is an answer to the question? Unless I misunderstood the question. o_O

Also, not all vegans/vegetarians are non-meat to 'save the animals'. I have tons of non-meat friends (when I went into college, I met quite a large non-meat group) and I think one is non-meat for religious reasons and the others are all for their health. Because they did research and feel healthier cutting out meat. They certainly don't campaign about it? o_O

Wait, I'm confused how this is an answer to the question? Unless I misunderstood the question. o_O

Also, not all vegans/vegetarians are non-meat to 'save the animals'. I have tons of non-meat friends (when I went into college, I met quite a large non-meat group) and I think one is non-meat for religious reasons and the others are all for their health. Because they did research and feel healthier cutting out meat. They certainly don't campaign about it? o_O

I was just explaining the crusaders part. Not all vegans/veggies.

And, back to the mice, it was not a random point. It was trying to say that humans are not the only species capable of needless cruelty.

They don't do it out of cruelty. It's not like they're thinking "Haha, I like watching you suffer!" They don't know what they're doing to the mouse, they kill out of instinct and to "play" but they aren't intentionally torturing the animal for their own sick pleasure or boredom. There's the difference. They don't have the ability to think for the other creature's feelings and wonder, "Maybe I should stop, it's hurting the mouse."

Edited for bad wording.

Edited by GhostChilli

I was just explaining the crusaders part. Not all vegans/veggies.

Ooooh, okay, thanks! That makes so much more sense now. x3

Vegetarian: No eating flesh/meat of any kind. (Will eat eggs, cheese, milk, butter yoghurt and other animal products.)

Vegan: No eating animal products at all. No eggs, no butter, nothing. Sometimes extends to also not wearing any leather, using cosmetics containing animal fat, etc. Basically,  "vegan" is the much stricter version.

Okay so I had it slightly wrong and completely backwards. Thank you!

Okay so you was just explaining what they do instead of what they eat?

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Okay so you was just explaining what they do instead of what they eat?

I was explaining why there are vegan/veggie crusaders, yes.

My dad has been a vegan for a while, but around the time that I was going on a vacation, I read on a cereal box that diets low in cholesterol are healthier, or something like that, so I got freaked out when I read that having too much cholesterol can kill you. I literally thought that ANY at all would make my heart stop working and I'd die. So I would check all my food before I ate it, and, let me just say that I didn't know anything about food, I just ate whatever tasted good, so I didn't know meat had Cholesterol. I've been living under a rock.

But, anyway, I went vegan and started baking and discovered that I can't have gluten, so I basically eat nothing now. I did it at first for health, until I saw a commercial(why do I discover things about veganism from such weird ordinary things?) and it was showing these little chickens. They were saying "We raise nice, healthy chickens with pride," and I assumed they had them lay eggs. Then at the end it showed boxes of meat. I was utterly horrified, and I started paying attention to animal cruelty after that. In a good way, as in helping animals who are being hurt.

Cholesterol isn't always bad - it also fills several very important roles in the human body. (Lack of cholesterol can lead to anything from memory loss to paralysis.) It's when things go out of balance that it can do harm.

It's pretty much the same kind of matter as with salt - both too much and too little of it will lead to high blood-pressure problems... And more or less anything else.

Here I will point out that fields and plantations aren't exactly "animal-friendly", either - thousands of little animals get hacked into pieces every time a field of grain is harvested, pesticides end up in birds and cause them to lay nonviable eggs, habitats are lost in favor of monocultures etc., etc.

My dad has been a vegan for a while, but around the time that I was going on a vacation, I read on a cereal box that diets low in cholesterol are healthier, or something like that, so I got freaked out when I read that having too much cholesterol can kill you. I literally thought that ANY at all would make my heart stop working and I'd die. So I would check all my food before I ate it, and, let me just say that I didn't know anything about food, I just ate whatever tasted good, so I didn't know meat had Cholesterol. I've been living under a rock.

But, anyway, I went vegan and started baking and discovered that I can't have gluten, so I basically eat nothing now. I did it at first for health, until I saw a commercial(why do I discover things about veganism from such weird ordinary things?) and it was showing these little chickens. They were saying "We raise nice, healthy chickens with pride," and I assumed they had them lay eggs. Then at the end it showed boxes of meat. I was utterly horrified, and I started paying attention to animal cruelty after that. In a good way, as in helping animals who are being hurt.

Cereal boxes and commercials aren't really what you should be basing your dietary choices off of.

Not to mention, there's difference between cholesterol and cholesterol. As far as I understand there's one kind of cholesterol that's commonly considered "bad" and one kind that's "good".

The "bad" cholesterol is the kind that oxidate easier when traveling through your bloodstream, so it may stick to the inside of damaged artery and may contribute to heart and artery disease. That's LDL cholesterol. It does however serve some necessary purpose in your body.

The "good" cholesterol is HDL. It "picks up" the leftover cholesterol in the bloodstream on its way back to the liver where it came from, therefore it's better to have higher levels of HDL.

At least that's how I understand it.

Here I will point out that fields and plantations aren't exactly "animal-friendly", either - thousands of little animals get hacked into pieces every time a field of grain is harvested, pesticides end up in birds and cause them to lay nonviable eggs, habitats are lost in favor of monocultures etc., etc.

True, but it's kinda hard to live without vegetables. Most people can live without meat, though. You'd end up quite unhealthy if you dropped all fruits and veggies.

True, but it's kinda hard to live without vegetables. Most people can live without meat, though. You'd end up quite unhealthy if you dropped all fruits and veggies.

Not exactly true. Many native people did not have many fruits and veggies in their diet because the land around them could not support it. They relied almost completely on meat. An example would be Inuits. They had veggies but in very limited amounts and fruits were barely there at all. Agriculture was practically nonexistent for them.

Really? I didn't know that... I also thought it would be hard to live without that stuff.

I am vegetarian for a seven years now and I feel great about it. I stop eating meat because I love animals too much.

I've been a vegetarian for around 3 years and I'm starting to go vegan. I thought it would be really difficult but there's actually loads of really good recipes and alternatives. Chocolate is the most difficult part to give up but I think I'll be able to do it. Also I wanted to find a good vegan cheese substitute but I haven't found any that aren't gross so I guess I'll just give up cheese!

I've been a vegetarian for around 3 years and I'm starting to go vegan. I thought it would be really difficult but there's actually loads of really good recipes and alternatives. Chocolate is the most difficult part to give up but I think I'll be able to do it. Also I wanted to find a good vegan cheese substitute but I haven't found any that aren't gross so I guess I'll just give up cheese!

Have you tried nut cheese? I've found some that are delicious smile.gif

I've started eating a little meat. It's hard to find meat that actually looks edible. I know it's all edible, but most of if looks so disgusting I can't even touch it. Then people say it looks good and eat it, right there I'm about to puke...

I've been able to keep up in protein, and it can get stronger by working out. Vitamin B12 (I think that's the one...) is my only problem.

I have a friend who has turned towards veganism.

Truth be told, she did it with intent to lose weight, seeing as she is somewhat on the 'big-boned' side.

We don't speak of it much, and thankfully she's decent enough not to ramble about it.

But on the upside, it seems to be working for her, she's lost quite a bit of weight, and has become more active.

I'm happy for her, but as for me... I'll eat what I like, so long as I keep getting enough exercise.

As for the whole moral stance on animal 'murder', It's wrong, I admit...

It isn't fair to grow and 'harvest' animals for their flesh like we do, but in the long run, that's just one grain of sand within an entire beach of problems.

If veganism ever becomes the dominating human diet, then good on us! We've progressed a teeny tiny bit and have become a little more responsible towards our surroundings and our own bodies. I'd be happy if that ever happened.

Sadly, I don't think it ever will.

Edited by Psyduсk

I'm a vegetarian since early 2010, I think. Partially because I don't like the way animals are treated, I don't feel meat is needed healthwise and also because I don't see why you'd use 35 kilograms of perfectly good food to get 1 kg of meat, what with ever-increasing world population and stuff. Technically I do cheat because when I'm at someone's birthday part I never go like "Is there gelatine in that cake?" but just eat it. Same with cheese.

Does anyone know a good website for cheap vegan recipes? I've been looking into veganism but vegan cheese and stuff is too expensive (student eh) so if anyone knows of low-budget recipes, please share them with me? smile.gif

Edited by Mirhana