Snowytoshi

Vegetarianism/ Veganism

Sorry, but if there's no mean, I ain't gonna eat it. If I could survive on only meat, I would. But alas, we need a "balanced" diet.

Now there you are being offensive; dissing the veggie diet is discourteous to all of us who know for a fact that that simply isn't true. YOU may want to eat meat and that's fine; so do I (though no way ONLY meat - that would be dull as well as unhealthy !) - but saying that we need it is simply not true.

OK we misunderstood one another !

A vegetarian diet can be perfectly balanced and very healthy - my doctor even points out that most of her veggie patients are far healthier than her omnivores - and we humans do NOT need meat - or fish - to be healthy, I assure you. I used to work in a Public Health department and I have written a SHEAF of leaflets about this very thing. So many parents worry about their veggie teenagers and there is no need to worry at all.

edited for typefails

Edited by fuzzbucket

In my experience with friends and family that raise cows, both dairy and for meat. Dairy cows themselves are kept on to 20+ years. It is more often that they become too arthritic or lame to get around comfortably then they are put down because of lack of milking ability. And this is on a commercial farm. The meat cattle are grass fed, have acres to themselves and are fairly well spoiled by my inlaws. They started dying of old age in their early twenty's.

Now the males are kept on, fed and eaten. But not any more abused or anything. A young female if she is born deformed or has a major aggression issue may be eaten sooner then later.

Now there you are being offensive; dissing the veggie diet is discourteous to all of us who know for a fact that that simply isn't true. YOU may want to eat meat and that's fine; so do I (though no way ONLY meat - that would be dull as well as unhealthy !) - but saying that we need it is simply not true.

A vegetarian diet can be perfectly balanced and very healthy - my doctor even points out that most of her veggie patients are far healthier than her omnivores - and we humans do NOT need meat - or fish - to be healthy, I assure you. I used to work in a Public Health department and I have written a SHEAF of leaflets about this very thing. So many parents worry about their veggie teenagers and there is no need to worry at all.

edited for typefails

You misunderstand, I'm saying you can't ONLY eat meat, you need to balance that. I didn't say vegetarian diets were unbalanced, sory for not specifying that.

You misunderstand, I'm saying you can't ONLY eat meat, you need to balance that. I didn't say vegetarian diets were unbalanced, sory for not specifying that.

OK - point taken. Peace. But you would LOVE my veggie moussaka. The last omnivore who had it didn't even realise there was no meat in it xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm just kiddin on the " I don't eat no meat meals ", I don't touch salads, but I'm generally game for anything but salads, as I said.

And thats just the thing, that makes vegans and vegetarians really angry. Teasing about bacon, stupid jokes about how vegans take your foods food away, kids come in, dinner's wilting.... ..etc etc..

That IS pressuring...

And people are wondering why we get aggressive now and then... *shakeshead*.

I'd hardly think a little joke about bacon should make one too mad though. Each side does a fair amount of bashing towards the other, so a bacon joke seems pretty harmless. Bluntly making fun of another's diet isn't very respectable though.

My veggie roommate last year would sometimes comment on the food I ate and it was incredibly obnoxious. Things like "enjoy your dead carcass" or something of the sort. And hearing the term "bloodmouth" really grinds my gears, although I've only heard it from people over the internet.

I'm quite carnivorous. Unfortunate since I've learned that it increases your carbon footprint, but I'd have a very hard time changing my diet. Not only because I love meat, but I'm jobless and in college, so I don't have much chance to be picky. I hear people ragging on milk and milk products too, and that's something I just can't avoid....

I've always wanted to be a vegetarian.

And then I remember that 80% of my diet consists of meat, the other 20% of chocolate. I'm working on it, but I don't see that changing any time soon.

There is NO basis for this idea. It is PERFECTLY possible to raise a child vegetarian - and even vegan as long as you give them B12 and (non-animal !) vitamin supplements.

PLEASE don't perpetuate this myth. My VERY healthy grandchildren are both being raised vegetarian and have been since birth. They are pretty much bombproof. And I know several healthy vegan children. I used to work in public health and wrote several leaflets about this very topic for worried parents. EVERYTHING you need is in non-meat/fish products. And vegetarian - including eggs and dairy - there is not the SLIGHTEST issue.

The problem is that it isn't necessarily a myth. Many parents who try to raise their children as vegetarians or vegans do not understand that children have specific needs if they're going to be raised on such a diet and it actually does sometimes endanger their very lives because they do not get the nutrition they require. It isn't so much the vegitarian/vegan diet that is to blame as the parents themselves who are too ignorant to ensure their children are getting what they need. Children who are part of families who choose to raise them on a vegetarian/vegan diet but do know what they're doing are just fine.

That said, I am not vegetarian or vegan, but I do get animal products from good sources when possible. I intend to keep my own chickens and possibly a goat or two once I am financially stable enough to manage it. I personally prefer fish and poultry when it comes to meat, just because I personally think it tastes better. Venison is really the one exception, because I love it and my father hunts regularly so I have access to it at least once or twice a year from a known source that I know was never mistreated and harvested humanely. (And before anyone goes off on me about how hunting isn't humane, a severed spine or ruptured heart from a bullet that it never saw coming and death within seconds is a lot more humane than what most food animals are given...my father is a wonderful shot and in the rare case that it isn't an instant kill he does not leave it to die slowly.)

Edited by keijaidyyn

I think it's like everything. You gotta allow a person to be who they want, as long as they aren't hurting YOU, then there's no problem. Eating lunch with someone who is vegetarian and teasing them, is not right. Eating lunch with someone who likes meat and dairy, and teasing them is not right either.

Who cares who eats what? Basically, just treat a person how you want to be treated, and let their meal choices go. Cause if what you eat, is a base for your friendship, then it's not a real friendship.

Common courtesy. Everyone makes their own choices. If you can't handle it, stay away.

Edited by Riverwillows

As the human species is a omnivore I will eat either meat or vegetables. I prefer meat over all and I barely ever touch vegetables or that kind of thing.

I'm not going to say being a vegan or vegetarian is bad but if you are going to condemn me for being who am I and enjoying meat then we have a issue. You eat what you wanna eat and I'll eat what I want to. Plain and simple. Do not look down on me because I choose to eat meat like I am supposed to.

That is my only issue with the extreme ones is that they condemn anyone else and say they are evil, ect. We're supposed to eat both types of food. Why not respect that and be polite with it? :/

I think it's like everything. You gotta allow a person to be who they want, as long as they aren't hurting YOU, then there's no problem. Eating lunch with someone who is vegetarian and teasing them, is not right. Eating lunch with someone who likes meat and dairy, and teasing them is not right either.

I think it depends on who you are with, their relation to you, and the level of teasing. Some lighthearted teasing between friends or family surely isn't a bad thing, as long as the recipient is not objecting to said teasing(if they ARE objecting, then it needs to stop immediately). Teasing a stranger though is never ok. You don't know them or their sense of humor, sure, they might find it funny, but chances are they won't, so don't take that chance.

Edited by Nectaris

I think it depends on who you are with, their relation to you, and the level of teasing.  Some lighthearted teasing between friends or family surely isn't a bad thing, as long as the recipient is not objecting to said teasing(if they ARE objecting, then it needs to stop immediately).  Teasing a stranger though is never ok.  You don't know them or their sense of humor, sure, they might find it funny, but chances are they won't, so don't take that chance.

That's a good way to put it, and it's quite true. I'm friends with a bunch of bacon-obsessed guys, and I don't mind when they tease me. But when strangers learn I don't eat meat, and lean over to chew their hamburger by my ear, that really annoys me. (Plus, it's rude no matter what someone's diet is.) biggrin.gif

The problem is that it isn't necessarily a myth. Many parents who try to raise their children as vegetarians or vegans do not understand that children have specific needs if they're going to be raised on such a diet and it actually does sometimes endanger their very lives because they do not get the nutrition they require. It isn't so much the vegitarian/vegan diet that is to blame as the parents themselves who are too ignorant to ensure their children are getting what they need. Children who are part of families who choose to raise them on a vegetarian/vegan diet but do know what they're doing are just fine.

That said, I am not vegetarian or vegan, but I do get animal products from good sources when possible. I intend to keep my own chickens and possibly a goat or two once I am financially stable enough to manage it. I personally prefer fish and poultry when it comes to meat, just because I personally think it tastes better. Venison is really the one exception, because I love it and my father hunts regularly so I have access to it at least once or twice a year from a known source that I know was never mistreated and harvested humanely. (And before anyone goes off on me about how hunting isn't humane, a severed spine or ruptured heart from a bullet that it never saw coming and death within seconds is a lot more humane than what most food animals are given...my father is a wonderful shot and in the rare case that it isn't an instant kill he does not leave it to die slowly.)

The same applies to parents raising omnivores. I well recall the toddler who was seriously malnourished because he didn't like milk and they didn't think it was essential, and didn't think about other sources of calcium. And when there's little sun and kids don't like their fish, vit D can be a problem - even for omnivores. ALL parents should have nutrition information given to them - ideally it would be taught in parentcraft classes in school - and those have almost died a death now.

And you get all these "kids foods" and parents think they are great - after all, they are made for kids, right ? But they AREN'T great - they are way hight in salt and sugar, never mind noxious additives (in fact that may be another plus for veggies, as a lot of them also contain animal ingredients !) And don't start me on how kids are allowed to be picky about their food in ways that they were NOT when my two were growing up. And between meals unhealthy snacks, and... Basically - children of all sorts are eating more and more unhealthily for a lot of reasons, and I think on the whole veggie parents are more diet-aware, simply because they have thought about it while making their own decisions. Omnivores just follow the path they were always on....

And it really is no harder to have a balanced veggie diet than to have a balanced omnivore one. The trick is simply variety.

I eat meat and veggies. I try to buy meat from the local university farm (the animals are treated well and killed humanely) but sometimes I can't afford to and have to buy from the supermarket down the street. I despise how most food animals are treated but it's not going to stop me from eating meat. And honestly - a balanced vegetarian diet can be all kinds of expensive. I tried going veggie a while back (health reasons only, not moral reasons) and it killed my wallet.

I have a question for the vegetarians/vegans - do you or the veggie community have many qualms for the numerous deaths attributed to large scale vegetable/grain/bean farming? I'm talking about: snakes, field mice, rabbits and other small animals that are taken out by the massive pieces of farm equipment. Not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm really curious about this. So...what about collateral damage caused by large farms??

I've been a vegetarian all my life. My reason is: whether it's being cooked or in a freezer, it looks so gross. That's just me, though.

And think of it this way for people who make fun of vegetarians/vegans: more meat for you.

I've been a vegetarian all my life. My reason is: whether it's being cooked or in a freezer, it looks so gross. That's just me, though.

And think of it this way for people who make fun of vegetarians/vegans: more meat for you.

I love this mentality! I love meat, I'll take it for you!!!

I find vegetarian cooking, Exciting to do. I have it from time to time. I haven't made much vegan dishes but there are a few I do.

I however would not consider vegan-ism, for myself, as a possibility. My stepsister's girlfriend had to leave the vegan diet because of health issues that arose as a result of it. Considering our biology, we are not designed to eat a vegan diet. We need Vitamin B12 and that vitamin is found only in animal products. If we go vegan as an adult we can last for a fair amount of time because our body has stored Vitamin B12 but then we'd need to get shots. The fact we would have to get a B12 injection to be healthy indicates that kicking out all animal products is not a good way to go. To raise a child a vegan, they do not have the store of B12...we have problems.

On the flip side

We are also not designed to eat a strict meat diet either, but we are designed to have the best of all worlds. Omnivore diet.

Considering our biology and what our health and nutrition instructor had told us, is that cow's milk is definitely not meant for us. it's designed for little calves to grow into huge animals in a fairly short period of time. The proteins in cows milk is a bit large for us to digest, hence some people tend to get lactose intolerant. An interesting thing I came across while reading up on lactose and milk and the like,is human's ability to digest cows milk has only really started within the past 10k years.

Currently I have a seafood diet. I see food I eat it wink.gif

Edited by Starscream

I actually don't have a problem with vegetarians and vegans. The only thing I don't like is how I've come across many individuals who are only in it as a fad or are simply uneducated about it and are screwing their systems over because of it.

I'm all for an organic diet so long as I know what I need. One of the issues with a fully vegan or vegetarian diet though is that, not only do you need to eat more relative to a diet with meat, produce is very expensive and, if you don't know what you're looking for, you can very easily miss out on some very needed vitamins and proteins for your body.

On the topic of the number of animal deaths caused by agricultural practices, I think that's why many individuals prefer to get farmers market goods rather than store-bought, much how some people avoid getting canned tuna because of dolphin deaths. Also, another food-for-thought thing, Scientists have begun to find evidence that some plant species actually have signs of "feeling" and basic responses to being injured. It doesn't stop me from eating vegetables or meat, but it's still interesting.

For people who don't want to eat meat because they don't like killing animals:

We're the top of the food chain, it's sort of our duty to kill and eat a number of animals for our own benefit (food). The problem starts when China, India and other high population countries (including America) eat so many animals that entire ecosystems are thrown out of balance, it's population control that's the problem, not the humanity of killing animals. Wasting is the problem!

I've always wanted to be a vegetarian.

And then I remember that 80% of my diet consists of meat, the other 20% of chocolate. I'm working on it, but I don't see that changing any time soon.

I find this flips around holidays. Especially Easter and Valentines. SOOO much chocolate wub.gif

As far as veggies go, I don't blame people for not wanting to eat the mass-produced stuff that is usually in stores. It's picked green and tasteless so it can be mass transported. True good fresh stuff off the farm is win.

/thawed some corn this weekend from the farm.

/put it in homemade potato soup

(had bacon in it)

Pinterest btw, is a nifty place for all manner of recipes. I saw a few transitional raw food/veganish recipes that looked very good there. Fresh Pineapple, 'nuf said.

For people who don't want to eat meat because they don't like killing animals:

We're the top of the food chain, it's sort of our duty to kill and eat a number of animals for our own benefit (food). The problem starts when China, India and other high population countries (including America) eat so many animals that entire ecosystems are thrown out of balance, it's population control that's the problem, not the humanity of killing animals. Wasting is the problem!

Seeing as I am one of those vegetarians I must comment on that. The conditions in factory farming are horrible and I do not want to support that.

It is not our 'duty' to eat meat. As sentient beings we have the ability to choose the foods we eat, based on our own morals, health, and taste. To be ruled by something as base as the food chain... If you want to go back to those sorts of things, we also should just leave our sick and elderly alone to fend for themselves. I mean gosh the're just bringing down the herd, you know?

It is not anyone's duty to inflict their moral values on me, just so long as I'm not harming others with my actions. Just as I don't tell you that eating meat is wrong and that you're some kind of bad person for eating, you should not tell me my morals are any bit wrong or less then yours.

As far as veggies go, I don't blame people for not wanting to eat the mass-produced stuff that is usually in stores. It's picked green and tasteless so it can be mass transported. True good fresh stuff off the farm is win.

That's why we grow our own tomatoes, for instance...

I have a lot of respect for people who can choose to abstain from eating meat. However, I do NOT respect those who feel the need to go around telling everyone else they're sick monsters for eating meat.

/plots to raid Shienvien's garden

My sister gave me some dried herbs that she grew herself last year for Christmas. My other sister and mom laughed about it but I said shoosh. Great gift! They are SO much better than the storebought ones.

Excellent recipe with tomatoes

Double Tomato Bruschetta

It's basically quick mini pizzas but oh are they good! I try to get onion rolls to make them on. Granted, it also depends on your feelings about cheese. Most of the veggie heavy people I know, will still eat that.